After this remake, do you still value Gaiden?

the original doesn't do anything that the remake doesn't

literally the only thing i acknowledge about the nes version is that the act 4 music is kinda different

Edited by unique

4 minutes ago, unique said:

the original doesn't do anything that the remake doesn't

literally the only thing i acknowledge about the nes version is that the act 4 music is kinda different

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the original make some units like Lukas more tolerable to deal with since Warp isn't nerfed unlike the remake?

Just now, Harvey said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the original make some units like Lukas more tolerable to deal with since Warp isn't nerfed unlike the remake?

i mean yeah you can abuse warp but that's less "doing something the remake didn't" and more just something stupid that the remake fixed

you could literally kill rudolf in one turn in the nes version

hell, if you grinded/were lucky enough you could kill duma by just warping alm next to him too

i guess you could use it to make low move units more useful but I don't think it's really a big deal that they made it more balanced

6 hours ago, unique said:

i mean yeah you can abuse warp but that's less "doing something the remake didn't" and more just something stupid that the remake fixed

And yet the remake kept Lukas at a pathetic 4 movement and nerfed the movement giving ring.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Unless you want to play the original game, there's literally no reason to play Gaiden. 

* The original experience.

* The animations are still very fancy and over the top especially for a NES game, like a precursor to the GBA animations.

* Some characters/classes are better like Lukas, Valbar, and Forsyth as mentioned above.

* You get to experience items that were nerfed greatly in the remake.

I love the remake, but it isn't a flat-out replacement for the original.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Gaiden more

Much simpler story, nice retro aesthetic, some things weren't nerfed (Warp), no shoehorned mechanics (arts?), etc.

Remakes don't diminish the value of originals. 

If anything, SoV makes me value Gaiden more as we can see how far we've come and compare how both pushed their home console tech in the context of their release. But, that's the point of remakes, showing off tech and design growth and making a game more accessible.

So, no, not at all.

Gaiden is awesome, where's the love?

Hmm, let's see...
-Gaiden's difficulty is just right. Echoes normal mode is too easy, hardmode I find too difficult.
-No joke, I had to use a completely different strategic approach for most of Gaiden compared to every other FE, even Echoes. I don't know how to explain the difference in my strategy, but...Gaiden kicked my ass. I had to adjust big-time. But when Alm promotes, pfft. Holybowwarpsteamroll. It's amusing at least~
-The original speed ring is BEAUTIFUL. Luka, hyper-mobile tank. Python, ultimate range. Definitely worth experiencing and messing around with.
-The opening music gives me shivers every time I hear it...!
-The gimmick battles in the final dungeon are removed from Echoes. Very disappointing. The disappearing floor nearly made me crap my pants.
-Gaiden's equip system is handled much better in my opinion. Items are limited, which ironically gives you more variety. Gaiden's shields don't have weight, though I suppose that's countered by the fact there aren't enough weapons to go around. But check Echoes: enough weapons to go around AND shields weigh you down. I rarely use shields in Echoes, but damn have they ever saved my life in Gaiden. It's like this... Gaiden: "Let's switch up which units gets the defense boost this battle!" Echoes: "Screw shields, let's have everyone ATTACK WITH ALL THESE POWERFUL WEAPONS THE GAME THROWS AT ME WHICH MAKE SHIELDS USELESS." ...No incentive to use shields, no variety. *sigh* But maybe that's just me being distracted/obsessed by damage output? (Didn't mention rings because their uses are similar in both games.)
-Dragon's Maw... Both games have their faults with this one, but I'd say Gaiden's version is worth experiencing. TRAPPED WITH NO HOPE, the suffering is real. Hush, let's not get into warped FalconknightClaire. It's brutal when you don't know what's coming.
-The despair of Lost Woods without a map. Do it, do it!

"No Exp, No Growths, No Hit: The Game"
Do it. You know you want to.

I love both Gaiden and Echoes to pieces. :3

• 3 weeks later...