Fire Emblem Heroes buffed some stuff: New precedent discussion

Zapp Branniglenn

Fire Emblem Heroes Buffed some stuff.   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Emblem Heroes Buffed some stuff. Is this a big deal?

• Yeah, very big deal. Looking out for how they expand on these ideas to keep characters relevant!
    • *Yawn* Nope. Saw these sorts of updates coming a mile away
  2. 2. Do these changes directly address power creep to your liking?

• Yup
    • Not yet. But I'll wait and see for myself.
    • Haha no. #Ayragate

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

At worst, would you be able to give her a killing axe to refine to a slayer, then refine again? It'll take a bit of investment, but I think it'd be worthwhile.

She kinda needs to TA from the Gem weapon to function.  Her Atk is too low to be too much of a treat, and her A slot is taken up by Distant Counter.  I put a lot of work into Titania, but she doesn't have much freedom in skill selection, at least for Weapon and A Slot.

Is the refining reagents aren't too limited, I could give her another weapon to experiment a bit, but I'm thinking it won't be ideal.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, GinRei said:

I doubt she'll be able to fulfill his actually niche of being a buffbot, though.  That's really just a him and Eirika thing.  I see this buff as letting him actually do combat rather than just being a cheerleader and bodyguard.

That's exactly the point I'm making. Ephraim has basically been outclassed in combat at this point. Eirika has a better stat spread to use as a support unit since her Spd lets her avoid being double attacked, and her Def and Res are both average or higher.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm kinda bummed that it appears Gem Weapons aren't included in the refinery.  They aren't OP by any means, but they are often the best weapon choice for units without access to a Legendary weapon or the Atk to use a Brave weapon.  I guess my Titania won't be getting an upgrade after all.

Triangle Adept on a weapon is already an extremely powerful effect in that it allows you to tank a single color virtually indefinitely (and without taking up your A slot) as well as dealing heavy damage to that color.

It's a skill effect that has a lot of swing potential since each point of Atk you add is effectively +1.4, and single-point increases in Def and Res are stronger the less Atk the opponent has (because lowering damage from 8 per hit to 4 per hit is a much larger effect than lowering damage from 40 per hit to 36 per hit).

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Triangle Adept on a weapon is already an extremely powerful effect in that it allows you to tank a single color virtually indefinitely (and without taking up your A slot) as well as dealing heavy damage to that color.

It's a skill effect that has a lot of swing potential since each point of Atk you add is effectively +1.4, and single-point increases in Def and Res are stronger the less Atk the opponent has (because lowering damage from 8 per hit to 4 per hit is a much larger effect than lowering damage from 40 per hit to 36 per hit).

Yeah, I just thought the double edged nature of it was enough of a trade-off.  They are easy to take out on Arena Defense Teams, since it's easy to take them out, with little to no damage.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

She kinda needs to TA from the Gem weapon to function.  Her Atk is too low to be too much of a treat, and her A slot is taken up by Distant Counter.  I put a lot of work into Titania, but she doesn't have much freedom in skill selection, at least for Weapon and A Slot.

Is the refining reagents aren't too limited, I could give her another weapon to experiment a bit, but I'm thinking it won't be ideal.

Is your Titania +attack? If not ( and please correct my math if someone knows better), but an additional 20% of 40 is 8 damage. I'm sure a slaying weapon will add at least 4-5 over the gem axe (vanilla slaying plus is 14). Giving her a quickfire special like moonbow or even luna would help a lot to patch offense as well. I don't think it would be quite as drastic as it seems at first?

It was just an idea, wanted to help because I admire people who use their favorites.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Is your Titania +attack? If not ( and please correct my math if someone knows better), but an additional 20% of 40 is 8 damage. I'm sure a slaying weapon will add at least 4-5 over the gem axe (vanilla slaying plus is 14). Giving her a quickfire special like moonbow or even luna would help a lot to patch offense as well. I don't think it would be quite as drastic as it seems at first?

It was just an idea, wanted to help because I admire people who use their favorites.

My Titania is currently +Spd-Def.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My Titania is currently +Spd-Def.

Emerald axe makes sense then!

This isn't a knock against Titania per say, but I always chuckle when they wander up and do 0 damage to my Arvis, haha. I've never used her personally, so it's cool to see a fan of her!

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Emerald axe makes sense then!

This isn't a knock against Titania per say, but I always chuckle when they wander up and do 0 damage to my Arvis, haha. I've never used her personally, so it's cool to see a fan of her!

Yeah, my excitement for this update got dashed.  All of my favorites use weapons that can't be upgraded.  I understand them not wanting to buff blade tomes and such, but I thought being super effective against a quarter of the units at the cost of dying instantly against another quarter of the units was below the power curve.

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Here you go:

Of note is how she is capable of counterattacking at range, as well as her Ice Mirror skill. Gameplay showed that she took 0 damage from the mage that was attacking her (2 listed), then counterattacked with the damage she was doing already on top of the damage Ice Mirror seemed to block (37 dealt, 35 listed).

Also, I love how loaded the second question is in the OP.

She has Shield Pulse 3, that reduces damage by 5.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Yeah, my excitement for this update got dashed.  All of my favorites use weapons that can't be upgraded.  I understand them not wanting to buff blade tomes and such, but I thought being super effective against a quarter of the units at the cost of dying instantly against another quarter of the units was below the power curve.

I sort of feel you a little bit on that, Arvis is really only getting an upgrade because I was silly and gave him raurowolf+ to start with. On my main team, Minerva is really the only benefit, because Jeorge/Camus didn't (and they didn't need it, Minerva is really nice though but I'm not sure she needed it either). My Merric/Athena will also like their gifts, but not too much else that I use will get a benefit. I'm still pretty hyped tho.

16 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I understand them not wanting to buff blade tomes and such, but I thought being super effective against a quarter of the units at the cost of dying instantly against another quarter of the units was below the power curve.

The thing is that while Triangle Adept is a death sentence for AI-controlled units, it's extremely powerful on player-controlled units because you can usually force opponents to fight at a disadvantage.

In effect, Triangle Adept is super-effective against a quarter of your opponents, both offensively and defensively, and the remaining three quarters are someone else's problem.

I personally love the owl tomes but they are too weak to justify using, if they could have gotten the boost I could have made Boey very entertaining but as it stands now I am just going to give him a wolf tome, The killer edge upgrade is nice though I can finally get around to building Beruka and I can make nephenee even better 

And so my initial hopes of Roy having an actually useful personal weapon at this point are dashed...

Good thing I gave him a Killing Edge the moment SI got introduced! In the meantime, I'll just have to wait it out, I guess.

By the way, does anyone know if Eliwood's Durandal will eventually upgrade into Brave Roy's Blazing Durandal? It would certainly help Eliwood's usability, though I guess he's still outclassed by Brave Roy either way if memory of their Skill spread serves.

29 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I sort of feel you a little bit on that, Arvis is really only getting an upgrade because I was silly and gave him raurowolf+ to start with. On my main team, Minerva is really the only benefit, because Jeorge/Camus didn't (and they didn't need it, Minerva is really nice though but I'm not sure she needed it either). My Merric/Athena will also like their gifts, but not too much else that I use will get a benefit. I'm still pretty hyped tho.

I don't think DC Weapons need a buff.  I forget what Jeorge's does.

At first, I thought all the non Legendary melee weapons were getting a buff, but then I hear Braves weren't which made sense, then also Gems, which made me sad.

I wonder how much of a buff the Wolf tomes will get, since I don't think I've ever seen them run.

13 minutes ago, Mackc2 said:

I personally love the owl tomes but they are too weak to justify using, if they could have gotten the boost I could have made Boey very entertaining but as it stands now I am just going to give him a wolf tome, The killer edge upgrade is nice though I can finally get around to building Beruka and I can make nephenee even better 

I could have seen the Owl tomes getting a slight bonus, since it's usually blade or raven or bust with tome users.  I only caught a glance, but it looks like it's a buff to HP and another stat for the weapons, unless I'm mistaken.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The thing is that while Triangle Adept is a death sentence for AI-controlled units, it's extremely powerful on player-controlled units because you can usually force opponents to fight at a disadvantage.

In effect, Triangle Adept is super-effective against a quarter of your opponents, both offensively and defensively, and the remaining three quarters are someone else's problem.

I can see the argument, I just usually see characters use Gem weapons because they don't have other viable options and generally aren't the most powerful units in the game, so it would not hurt to give them a bump to keep them competitive.  Brave or Slaying builds seem to be more popular, if the unit is capable of running it.  If giving Gem weapons a buff would break the power balance I could see why they might not want to do it, it had just been wishful thinking on my part, since I saw the feature last night, and just now got home and read that it won't be a thing.  I figured they wouldn't let Reinhardt get Direr Thunder+, but thought paladin mom might be able to cash in.

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

And so my initial hopes of Roy having an actually useful personal weapon at this point are dashed...

Like making the Binding Blade have Distant Counter like it's supposed to?

Edited by Rezzy

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I don't think DC Weapons need a buff.  I forget what Jeorge's does.

At first, I thought all the non Legendary melee weapons were getting a buff, but then I hear Braves weren't which made sense, then also Gems, which made me sad.

I wonder how much of a buff the Wolf tomes will get, since I don't think I've ever seen them run.

Jeorge is res +4 when attacking (garbage), and I would have loved to see a Parthia upgrade, but I run brave bow on mine which (rightfully) won't be getting an upgrade.

I think that wolf tomes would have been used more if blade tomes weren't a thing, just seeing all the horse meta. With arvis, I already dgaf if your xander can distant counter or if he can quick riposte - he aint doin' either. If they get better, that makes me happy. I always loved the animation on those things!

21 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

By the way, does anyone know if Eliwood's Durandal will eventually upgrade into Brave Roy's Blazing Durandal? It would certainly help Eliwood's usability, though I guess he's still outclassed by Brave Roy either way if memory of their Skill spread serves.

The stream specifically points out that Eliwood, Merric, Linde, Seliph, and Julia can upgrade to Blazing Durandal, Dark Excalibur, Dark Aura, Divine Tyrfing, and Divine Naga, respectively.

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

The upgrades are only good for those who need them ;):

Obviously Cherche and Cordelia can do their best (as examples), since they have their greatest sets already. 

I gotta say though, I'm really glad I saved my Lyn!

I mean, yeah, some of them may not need the boost (I am kind of proud of my Death Blow Cherche) with the exception of Lucina, but I want to use the fancy new feature!

21 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I mean, yeah, some of them may not need the boost (I am kind of proud of my Death Blow Cherche) with the exception of Lucina, but I want to use the fancy new feature!

Lets make Lucina even better because why the heck not?

I get that then. You see a new toy, you gotta play with it~

6 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Lets make Lucina even better because why the heck not?

I get that then. You see a new toy, you gotta play with it~

She's not that good. At least anymore.

But I will play with it, it just won't have the greatest impact.

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

She's not that good. At least anymore.

But I will play with it, it just won't have the greatest impact.

downplaying your waifu smh

Perhaps. I think I am more excited to see what Fujin Yumi does than anything else lol

Also Fenrir, Bolganone, Thoron, and Rexcalibur+ upgrades too

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Perhaps. I think I am more excited to see what Fujin Yumi does than anything else lol

The tier puts her high, but not overly high. I think she's typically with Marth and Eirika (both of which I also have) among others. I use her out of bias though despite having Ike.

Do any units even use Thoron+? Bolganone will work though.

9 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Does anyone even have Thoron+ yet?

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Does anyone even have Thoron+ yet?

I was actually thinking about that after I wrote my post....

I don't think anyone does actually... and one can expect that it probably won't happen ever (or at least any time soon)

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

I was actually thinking about that after I wrote my post....

I don't think anyone does actually... and one can expect that it probably won't happen ever (or at least any time soon)

Why not? They got the other two. Then again, Thoron seems to be well on its way to being Robin exclusive...which ironically neither one has Thoron+.

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Why not? They got the other two. Then again, Thoron seems to be well on its way to being Robin exclusive...which ironically neither one has Thoron+.

Rexcalibur had to be introduced on Soren.

Meanwhile, Bolganone and Fenrir were in Day 1 (Lilina and Sophia).

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Why not

Well who runs Fenrir, Bolganone, or Rexcalibur? No one. And it's pretty obvious to see why HEH

Literally, IS is trying to make units come out of the box with skills they can actually use (Dorcas Deidre Mia Ayra etc.)

Thoron would have no effect.... making it kinda useless :/