Artwork and Sketches of the Book II Characters

VincentASM

26 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Considering the amount of references to Norse myth in Judgral, the name fits in even more than "Holyn" (and I've seen some even claim that it's probably what it's meant to be, a la "Zigludo" and "Sigurd").

Chulainn is Irish mythology, not Norse.  That said, it's pronounced extremely similarly to Holyn, so it's not that much of a stretch to go from one to the other.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Chulainn is Irish mythology, not Norse.  That said, it's pronounced extremely similarly to Holyn, so it's not that much of a stretch to go from one to the other.

Ah. Got them mixed up; though, with stuff like the Gae Bolg also being around I tend to end up equating Celtic to Norse.

1 minute ago, Hardin said:

I was actually thinking the same thing. 

If it wasn't for the amount of salt that would result from it, I'd actually take them.

Aside from Laevateinn, I can't really say I'm impressed by most of the new characters' designs.

Loki's true form disappoints me most of all.  Upon hearing they were a servant of the Demon King, I was quite curious to see what their true form would look like (maybe some sort of monster), but was dismayed to find that it looks like what appears to be a Camilla clone.  Ugh.

I like many of the designs, especially Ganondorf clone over there. But Loki's design is way to sexual. I could handle Camilla's design, but Loki's design is way to sexualized. Seriously, how do her breasts stay in that piece of clothing?

Does Loki's design will cause the rating to go up?

2 hours ago, Alkaid said:

She must have some serious shapeshifting magic to size those things down to masquerade as Anna. 

I'm digging all these new characters. It makes me want to see the story get moving so we can possibly obtain and play with them sooner than later.

We also need a Warriors cross over DLC with these guys.

TBH I wouldn't get your hopes up, given as Bruno and Veronica haven't been put remotely into playability range or so it seems. But hey, here's hoping. 

9 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Aside from Laevateinn, I can't really say I'm impressed by most of the new characters' designs.

Loki's true form disappoints me most of all.  Upon hearing they were a servant of the Demon King, I was quite curious to see what their true form would look like (maybe some sort of monster), but was dismayed to find that it looks like what appears to be a Camilla clone.  Ugh.

3 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

I like many of the designs, especially Ganondorf clone over there. But Loki's design is way to sexual. I could handle Camilla's design, but Loki's design is way to sexualized. Seriously, how do her breasts stay in that piece of clothing?

Does Loki's design will cause the rating to go up?

Ah yes, Camilla and boobs, truly the most heinous and low-brow of characters and character aspects in any fire emblem game. When will the titillating tyranny end??

Edited by BANRYU

I never expected that woman that was fighting Sharena was actually Loki. She does look really sinister than I imagined and she did really gave really threatening speech to Ayra during at the Genealogy of the Holy War paralogue.

3 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

This is the JP name though, not the localized name, AFAIK, since it comes from the sketches.  And it fits with the other Norse inspired names, so even if it's kept it's not out of place.

1. You seem to be mistaken about the point I was making. The post I was responding to made the suggestion that NoA would change the NoJ name "Laevateinn" to something else to make it less "difficult". My response was that NoA seems to have some obsession with complicated mythology reference names and would most likely not change it.
  2. We already have Cuan, whose name is assumed by everyone other than NoA to be a contraction of Gae Bolg's wielder in Irish mythology, Cu Chulainn. NoA somehow seemed to miss that and gave him the spelling of "Quan" and gave Holyn the name of "Chulainn" for no good reason.
  3. The Japanese are actually pretty decent at getting the actual pronunciation of foreign words right when transliterating to Japanese. Better than English-speakers, at least. I find the likelihood of Holyn's name actually being a reference to Cu Chulainn to be fairly low.

6 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Seriously, how do her breasts stay in that piece of clothing?

Glue.

43 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:
  1. You seem to be mistaken about the point I was making. The post I was responding to made the suggestion that NoA would change the NoJ name "Laevateinn" to something else to make it less "difficult". My response was that NoA seems to have some obsession with complicated mythology reference names and would most likely not change it.
  2. We already have Cuan, whose name is assumed by everyone other than NoA to be a contraction of Gae Bolg's wielder in Irish mythology, Cu Chulainn. NoA somehow seemed to miss that and gave him the spelling of "Quan" and gave Holyn the name of "Chulainn" for no good reason.
  3. The Japanese are actually pretty decent at getting the actual pronunciation of foreign words right when transliterating to Japanese. Better than English-speakers, at least. I find the likelihood of Holyn's name actually being a reference to Cu Chulainn to be fairly low.

Holyn is pretty close to the transliteration of Chulainn though.  Cu Chulainn is sometimes called Cuhullin in English stuff, most likely due to mishearing the pronunciation.

That said, as it is missing the 'Cu' at the start and he doesn't use a spear, if it was a reference to Celtic myth, it's more likely to be a reference Culann, the smith whose dog was killed by Cu Chulainn while he was still Setanta, rather than Cu himself.

Edit:  Quan/Cuan also isn't as clear cut as you think.  He's married to Ethlyn, who's name is close to a reference to Ethniu/Ethliu, the mother of Lugh and the wife of Cian.  Lugh is generally given to be Cu Chulainn's father, which makes the connection to Gae Bolg for FE purposes.  It could also be a contraction of Cu Chulainn, but Cian is pronounced fairly close to Quan/Cuan (Cian is pronounce 'kii an' as far as I can find).

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

You know ... I just had a sudden thought. It would be interesting if they'd saved all the book 2 stuff (the new character, the new villains, etc.) for FE Switch or something like that. From how epic they're trying to make it seem, I'd think that making this the next entry in FE would do it far more justice than Heroes would. I mean, as someone who can get highly critical of video game stories ... I don't play Heroes for story. At all.

I can't remember all of their names so behold my poor choice of nicknames

I like the new character designs. Fjorm is a bit weird being that she's from a ice kingdom but I really do get that swan vibe and she's so pretty. Uber fire demon version of Ganondork is intimating as hell and unlike pretty swan lady his design fits within his kingdom. Raven lady looks cool, I don't really have anything to say about her other than I think she's totally bff with Veronica. I'm surprised that Loki is a seductive looking woman but it makes a lot of sense considering Loki is a trickster at heart.

Lævateinn looks cool, shame she probably won't be playable for years.  I like Fjorm too, but a comfier looking outfit would've been nice.  Having your thighs exposed to the cold can't be pleasant.

I think Surtr looks pretty great honestly, even if he's another generic big bad older man.

Loki doesn't really leave much of an impression on me.  You have these extravagant outfits for the new characters and she's just dressed in an exposing gown.  Really boring, plus she seems like someone we've already had before.

I like how everyone is bitching about Fjorm wearing little clothing for living in the Ice Kingdom.... 

YOU DO REALIZE FLORA AND FELICIA DO THE SAME THING RIGHT??? Those two wear thin maid outfits... they will not stay warm there.. Plus I want to point out she has Ice based powers (shown in trailer and in her special Ice mirror) meaning Fjorm has similar abilities compared to the two meaning she could be immune (or highly resistant) to the cold. 

Anyways personally I feel like i’ll like or hate the characters after I’ve heard them speak and such...

i do agree with one post where it seems Sharena and Loki are polar opposites... which might be the reference as to why the two are fighting in the trailer... 

My biggest question is what happened to Anna and Bruno... I feel something might happen to them in the intro to book 2... when the chapter will be posted (in what I assume will be the 27th) 

Loki looks fantastic. 

Just felt I'd at least give her my support to contrast the many that consider it in bad taste that characters be 'too sexualized'. 

I understand the struggle about women characters in gaming and the way they are represented but Fire Emblem is a game with several hundred units. Can't we drop the prude act an instant and just allow a few of the characters to fit the sultry archetype? 

I like big-bosomed seductress older women. Should I feel bad about it?

Edited by Vince777

1 hour ago, Ronman5 said:

I like how everyone is bitching about Fjorm wearing little clothing for living in the Ice Kingdom.... 

YOU DO REALIZE FLORA AND FELICIA DO THE SAME THING RIGHT??? Those two wear thin maid outfits... they will not stay warm there.. Plus I want to point out she has Ice based powers (shown in trailer and in her special Ice mirror) meaning Fjorm has similar abilities compared to the two meaning she could be immune (or highly resistant) to the cold. 

Just because Felicia and Flora do it too doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

59 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

No, not at all.  If that's your thing, then fine.

To tell you the truth, I think the real problem with Loki's design isn't that it's oversexualized so much as it is uninspired.  Her design looks as if IS is trying too hard to capitalize on Camilla's popularity and it's a bit disconcerting.

If my understanding is correct, lots of veterans who don't play for waifus/fanservicey character designs are afraid that this type of design will start to become shoved down their throats increasingly often in future games, and while I think these fears are certainly exaggerated, Loki's design doesn't help a whole lot.

It seems no one's posted this yet, but the Heroes Twitter has posted the rough sketches for Fjorm's arts:

37 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

To tell you the truth, I think the real problem with Loki's design isn't that it's oversexualized so much as it is uninspired.  Her design looks as if IS is trying too hard to capitalize on Camilla's popularity and it's a bit disconcerting.

Loki's are bigger.

So like, whats Fjorms relation to Askr? Kinda confused on how she fits into the story, but I guess we'll see. Surtr and his subordinates make sense. Overall the designs are meh IMO laeviateinn looks okay. Norse mythology is a huge turn on for me, so I'm going to hopefully enjoy how they world-build here

18 minutes ago, CrimsonRaven said:

So like, whats Fjorms relation to Askr? Kinda confused on how she fits into the story, but I guess we'll see. Surtr and his subordinates make sense. Overall the designs are meh IMO laeviateinn looks okay. Norse mythology is a huge turn on for me, so I'm going to hopefully enjoy how they world-build here

My guess is that Fjorm is the princess for a nearby allied kingdom near Askr . And Vericona allied with Surtr for a greater strength to invade Askr and the ice kingdom. With Loki and Lævateinn being Surtr's top lieutenants.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

8 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Nothing wrong with this. There  part of me that likes Loki's design. I tend to like sultry characters too, and as someone of the female persuasion, I'm not offended by cleavage. My biggest problem is that it's probably the most impractical outfit ever. I recently spent a few days cosplaying (for several hours at a time) in heels, a corset, and a skirt with a rather high slit. I could barely bend over to pick a pencil up off of the floor. Loki's outfit might be practical for sitting on a throne and making people green with envy and pale with fear, but there's no way she's actually fighting like she did in the trailer. I can kind of suspend reality a little bit to humor boob physics, but literally, the only way her boobs are actually staying in that "top" are with hot glue and/or duct tape. (She could be a drag queen, I suppose. From what I know, a lot of them do hotglue clothing to their bodies for shows.) I don't even wanna think about the awful weggie she probably has with those half leggings. That's probably why she shifts bodies so much.

That being said, I think all of the characters look pretty cool. They really stepped up their game with designs. I kind of hope the Askrians get some cool costumes in the future. I do kind of wish that the fire king didn't look so EEEEEEVIL. Then again, FE doesn't really make a lot of subtle villains. XD He still looks cool. Kind of reminds me of Walhart.

On the Fire Kingdom, may I bring in this? Maybe it'll make Loki seem better by comparison?

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150702225043

Image result for odin sphere king onyx

Ahem, other than do some blatant Odin Sphere promotion (the Vulcan girl in the first pict is when they're fighting). I will say that sultry seductresses aren't always bad. They just have to be done right, however hard that is to define the boundary between right and wrong. Lady No in Samurai Warriors is okay for instance, as is the old design of Lilith in SMT. I think the thing that is necessary, is that the women own the outfits and not the outfits the women. They have to be strong beneath the attire, or tragically mentally broken, but I rarely find the latter to be the case. Things pushing the limits a little might be excusable as a way of making enemies uneasy.

10 hours ago, Ronman5 said:

Flora is a Mars Adept from Prox- they never get cold because of their fiery affinity, only in death do they feel the chill. 

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the Fire Kingdom, may I bring in this? Maybe it'll make Loki seem better by comparison?

Hide contents

latest?cb=20150702225043

Image result for odin sphere king onyx

Ahem, other than do some blatant Odin Sphere promotion (the Vulcan girl in the first pict is when they're fighting). I will say that sultry seductresses aren't always bad. They just have to be done right, however hard that is to define the boundary between right and wrong. Lady No in Samurai Warriors is okay for instance, as is the old design of Lilith in SMT. I think the thing that is necessary, is that the women own the outfits and not the outfits the women. They have to be strong beneath the attire, or tragically mentally broken, but I rarely find the latter to be the case. Things pushing the limits a little might be excusable as a way of making enemies uneasy.

I agree with you. I don't think making a character purposely "sexy" is a bad thing. But, it has to be done right, which is the tricky part. Look at your sig for example, Velvet is scantily clad and has a rather sexy design. However, she's in a situation where it's done right. Her design fits the game, with the whole late medieval fantasy aesthestic they were going for. Plus, her character was supposed to be very gypsy-like: she has no real home and she wields arcane magic. Her outfit, while sexy, also has a gypsy feel to it, and since she's one of the older main characters, the maturity of the outfit works well. Plus, it's designed in a way where nothing should fall out, but lightweight enough for good mobility.

However, in Loki's case, it just comes off a bit mix-matched. While the sexy image may fit Loki's reputation of being a trickster god (in this case, tricking by seduction). However, it's a war simulation game, and a sexy dress may not be the most suitable for battle.

But then again, this is Heroes, a fanservice gacha game. It's not that deep, so I'm not really mad at it. If it was a mainline FE, then I would raise my eyebrows at the design choice, but since it's Heroes, it should be given a pass.

11 hours ago, Vince777 said:

No, there`s nothing wrong with liking big.bosomed seductress older women. I`d be lying if I said I don`t like them myself. Like others have pointed out, I think they tried a bit too hard to make Loki sexy for the sake of it. Even if it does match up with Loki being a God of mischief.