SF Official - FE Games Opinion Poll (Sheet in OP)

Jedi

I like my Data and numbers so lets do this all over again! 

We're gonna basically rank all 15 mainline games (Fates divided into 3 different games here), and see how the Serenes Forest opinions go for them all. 

The sheet is here https://goo.gl/forms/QYHTrw4FXS6KK98V2

If you haven't played an FE then don't answer that particular one, since I don't want skewed data. I'm not sure how long i'll have this run, but probably a week or so at least.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I like my Data and numbers so lets do this all over again! 

We're gonna basically rank all 15 mainline games (Fates divided into 3 different games here), and see how the Serenes Forest opinions go for them all. 

The sheet is here https://goo.gl/forms/QYHTrw4FXS6KK98V2

If you haven't played an FE then don't answer that particular one, since I don't want skewed data. I'm not sure how long i'll have this run, but probably a week or so at least.

So you collecting data on us for our FBI files or what, eh :p?

Just now, Zasplach said:

So you collecting data on us for our FBI files or what, eh :p?

Ah yes, you caught me red handed! I'm looking for crooks who happen to play FE games :P:

11 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Ah yes, you caught me red handed! I'm looking for crooks who happen to play FE games :P:

With some of the acrimony I've seen maybe it's more than we suspect... :B):

Edited by Zasplach
it looked too serious without an emoji

As someone who's recently been playing Shadow Dragon, the results here are really underselling it. I know there's a stigma against it because of muh supports but I quite like the brevity and story and the focus on gameplay. It's one of my favorites, and it's a shame to see it rated so low so consistently.

44 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

As someone who's recently been playing Shadow Dragon, the results here are really underselling it. I know there's a stigma against it because of muh supports but I quite like the brevity and story and the focus on gameplay. It's one of my favorites, and it's a shame to see it rated so low so consistently.

It's a tad divisive yeah, honestly I was expecting it to get much lower scores than it has currently though.

Sent in my responses. I selected Sacred Stones to be my "Fantastic Game." Sure, it may be on the easy side, but I loved the characters and gameplay of it. The monsters are also a bonus in my book.

A part of me wonders why PoR is rated so highly. Granted, I only played through it once and I ended up playing it after Radiant Dawn (backwards, I know), but I generally prefered RD to PoR. Maybe all I remember are the stiff battle animations, because I don't recall much of the story and the like.

I'm kind of surprised for not selecting "fantastic" for any of the FE's I played. 

I expected Blazing Sword to get more "fantastic game" votes though....but I guess not.

I'm also not surprised at majority voting "meh" for Revelation.

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

It's a tad divisive yeah, honestly I was expecting it to get much lower scores than it has currently though.

How low is it scoring? Because I can't vote in this because I don't have a Google account, and I don't feel like making one just for this...

41 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Interesting if not unexpected results. I think the most surprising thing is how many people rank Conquest as "nothing wrong with it".

Probably voting purely by gameplay but that's why I put a B, since I just went off gameplay myself.

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

How low is it scoring? Because I can't vote in this because I don't have a Google account, and I don't feel like making one just for this...

majority consider it average, according to the poll. 

2 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I have a really hard time playing SD. It's functional, yeah, but the game is so ugly, the gameplay is so slow, the addition of the weapon triangle is one of the few cases where I'll say it REALLY hurt the game, and the story is still mostly as barebones as it was 30 years ago. On the whole it feels like a step backwards to everything after FE2, IMO.

If the only thing you think keeps people from rating it highly is supports, then... well, I don't know what to say. In my eyes, the game has tons of problems, from nearly all angles.

OH, AND THE GODDAMN GAIDEN CHAPTERS THAT REQUIRE YOU TO MURDER YOUR UNITS TO GET TO THEM.

The New Mystery remake, on the otherhand, felt like a much better "reimagining" of Book 2 than SD did of FE1 or Book 1. From a gameplay perspective, at least. Not gonna touch Kris and the story with a 10 foot pole.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I must say, you'd have to be REALLY generous to say the lack of supports is the only problem with Shadow Dragon. . . Because not unlike Slumber, I think there's just way too much wrong with it that ultimately makes me think it's just that damn bad.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I have a really hard time playing SD. It's functional, yeah, but the game is so ugly, the gameplay is so slow, the addition of the weapon triangle is one of the few cases where I'll say it REALLY hurt the game, and the story is still mostly as barebones as it was 30 years ago. On the whole it feels like a step backwards to everything after FE2, IMO.

If the only thing you think keeps people from rating it highly is supports, then... well, I don't know what to say. In my eyes, the game has tons of problems, from nearly all angles.

OH, AND THE GODDAMN GAIDEN CHAPTERS THAT REQUIRE YOU TO MURDER YOUR UNITS TO GET TO THEM.

The New Mystery remake, on the otherhand, felt like a much better "reimagining" of Book 2 than SD did of FE1 or Book 1. From a gameplay perspective, not gonna touch Kris and the story with a 10 foot pole.

I don't really get the speed thing since you can skip the slow points (enemy phase movement and animations if you leave them on).

I think the weapon triangle is fine in SD but I can see where you're coming from. I like that it makes the strategy a little less "put strong unit in the middle of the map to win."

The gaiden chapters are meant to be supplementary for bad players. They aren't like gaidens from gba and previous games.

I don't care about story in video games, so it doesn't really have any bearing on my enjoyment. However, Shadow Dragon has great writing despite the minimalist approach to the story. It lets the player use their imagination a little, too, which is nice.

I don't like FE12 much. I find the maps to be a total slog to play or very punishing with no in-between maps that are just solidly difficult.

I'm not saying that SD doesn't have issues, I'm saying that the issue I see most people complain about is the lack of support conversations, which is barely even an issue imo (outside of 3DSFE support conversations weren't that big of a deal anyway).

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I must say, you'd have to be REALLY generous to say the lack of supports is the only problem with Shadow Dragon. . . Because not unlike Slumber, I think there's just way too much wrong with it that ultimately makes me think it's just that damn bad.

See above.

I pretty much have to agree with what @Slumber said about SD, especially regarding the awful graphics and the gaiden requirements.

1 minute ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

The gaiden chapters are meant to be supplementary for bad players. They aren't like gaidens from gba and previous games.

Eh, the characters you can get from the gaidens aren't that great anyways, but I guess that's just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I don't really get the speed thing since you can skip the slow points (enemy phase movement and animations if you leave them on).

I think the weapon triangle is fine in SD but I can see where you're coming from. I like that it makes the strategy a little less "put strong unit in the middle of the map to win."

I don't care about story in video games, so it doesn't really have any bearing on my enjoyment. However, Shadow Dragon has great writing despite the minimalist approach to the story. It lets the player use their imagination a little, too, which is nice.

I don't like FE12 much. I find the maps to be a total slog to play or very punishing with no in-between maps that are just solidly difficult.

I'm not saying that SD doesn't have issues, I'm saying that the issue I see most people complain about is the lack of support conversations, which is barely even an issue imo (outside of 3DSFE support conversations weren't that big of a deal anyway).

See above.

Doesn't change the fact that IS made a plethora of bad design choices when it comes to Shadow Dragon, from where I'm standing. Also, I personally found Shadow Dragon's writing as impressive as the rest of the game itself - Not.

22 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I'm not talking about how fast the game moves as a whole, I'm talking about how the game progression feels. Character progression feels slow as dirt, and even compared to FE1, a good chunk of character growth rates are actually lower. The game is one of the shortest in the franchise, but it feels like it takes forever.

The problem with the WT in SD is that IS didn't bother to change how often certain weapon types appear. After a certain point, virtually no enemy axe units start showing up. It almost completely comes down to lances and occasionally swords.

Gaiden chapters are content you're not getting. It shouldn't matter if they exist to "help noobs". There are full characters, items and chapters that are gated off if you don't kill your characters. It almost becomes some kind of meta game to determine who the most expendable units in your army are. It should say a lot that this is the first and ONLY time they ever tried to do this.

There's a difference between "letting you use your imagination" and "flatout not developing about 80% of the cast because they get no dialogue". In 1990, this was a result of the NES being a very limited console that could only handle so much data. By the time of the SNES, J/RPG writers actually had room to write dialogue for characters that developed their personalities. Bringing this aspect of the NES to the DS was not a good move. Even if you don't like stories, plenty of people do, and would have liked it if characters were given stuff to do in SD.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Tuvy2 said:

Huh, PoR is the overall most liked FE game. I would of thought it would FE4.

On what grounds did you think it'd be FE4? Because I'd have a hard time believing that.

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

On what grounds did you think it'd be FE4? Because I'd have a hard time believing that.

Every other poll I've seen shows FE 4 as the most popular, mostly because of how good the story is. Though, now that I think about it, PoR is loved by a lot of people, I don't really get why though.