SF Official - FE Games Opinion Poll (Sheet in OP)

Jedi

38 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Most complaints I see about Awakening is that the characters are kind of 1 dimensional and gimmicky, you're given TOO much freedom, the story falls apart, it's way too fanservicey and that the map design is bad/simple. I don't think Echoes shares the bolded problems. Characters generally aren't defined by a single gimmick(Deen and Faye being obvious exceptions), the game's a lot more structured and set in how you play it(IE you pick a classline and you're stuck in it unless you do the DF loop or have a Villager's Fork), the story probably falls apart for some, but I don't think it's nearly as radical of a shift as Awakening after Gangrel, and it keeps fanservice to a bare-minimum for modern FE. You get Sonya, but that's about it.

It does have bad map design, so that's where I'd compare the two. Outside of that, nah.

Revelation, on the otherhand, is often critiqued for its abysmal story, absolutely TERRIBLE map gimmicks, and just the worst unit balance in the entire franchise. I can't say really any of those reflect the complaints of Echoes. You get Atlas, who is still a villager when he joins in the mid-game, but it's nothing compared to getting an unpromoted unit that is lower than level 10 after the mid-game. And ones that aren't even Nino archetypes. If you squint enough "bland maps" and "gimmicky maps" kind of look like similar complaints, but they're really not. Most people, I'd imagine, would rather play flat, empty Echoes maps than do most of Revelations' convoluted, slow maps. Could just be me, but it seems like a common complaint for Rev.

I would contest Revelation having the worst unit balance in the franchise when Genealogy exists... I have a VERY hard time finding Revelation to be worse in terms of unit balance than a game where units that don't have a horse, holy weapon access or Pursuit are automatically inferior to those that do have them. And said game also has a level 1 healer that joins after the halfway point of the second generation... and healers tend to be the most complained about units when it comes to raising them. As if that wasn't bad enough, said healer is a foot unit... in a game that massively favours horses.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

Most complaints I see about Awakening is that the characters are kind of 1 dimensional and gimmicky, you're given TOO much freedom, the story falls apart, it's way too fanservicey and that the map design is bad/simple. I don't think Echoes shares the bolded problems. Characters generally aren't defined by a single gimmick(Deen and Faye being obvious exceptions), the game's a lot more structured and set in how you play it(IE you pick a classline and you're stuck in it unless you do the DF loop or have a Villager's Fork), the story probably falls apart for some, but I don't think it's nearly as radical of a shift as Awakening after Gangrel, and it keeps fanservice to a bare-minimum for modern FE. You get Sonya, but that's about it.

It does have bad map design, so that's where I'd compare the two. Outside of that, nah.

Revelation, on the otherhand, is often critiqued for its abysmal story, absolutely TERRIBLE map gimmicks, and just the worst unit balance in the entire franchise. I can't say really any of those reflect the complaints of Echoes. You get Atlas, who is still a villager when he joins in the mid-game, but it's nothing compared to getting an unpromoted unit that is lower than level 10 after the mid-game. And ones that aren't even Nino archetypes. If you squint enough "bland maps" and "gimmicky maps" kind of look like similar complaints, but they're really not. Most people, I'd imagine, would rather play flat, empty Echoes maps than do most of Revelations' convoluted, slow maps. Could just be me, but it seems like a common complaint for Rev.

Isn't map design a big thing for FE games? Also I found some maps, especially in Celica's route, to be just as tedious as some as the worst parts of Revelation despite having no map gimmicks. It also suffers from being limited in map objectives, just like awakening and is also terribly unbalanced as well, considering how much better Dread Fighters are compared to other classes.

With regards to one dimensional characters (though this is subjective) I found that many of Echoes characters are also one note due to the limited supports (with exceptions like Lukas and Catria). It's just that their particular character traits aren't as offensive compared to that of Awakening and Fates.

Look, I'm not saying that Echoes isn't better than Awakening and Rev overall, because I think that it is. I just find that, in terms of gameplay, it's not that far from them and certainly not far enough to account for such a vast difference in scores between them (right now Echoes is second only to PoR with regards to how many people viewed the game as "fantastic", which is baffling to me).

2 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Isn't map design a big thing for FE games? Also I found some maps, especially in Celica's route, to be just as tedious as some as the worst parts of Revelation despite having no map gimmicks. It also suffers from being limited in map objectives, just like awakening and is also terribly unbalanced as well, considering how much better Dread Fighters are compared to other classes.

With regards to one dimensional characters (though this is subjective) I found that many of Echoes characters are also one note due to the limited supports (with exceptions like Lukas and Catria). It's just that their particular character traits aren't as offensive compared to that of Awakening and Fates.

Look, I'm not saying that Echoes isn't better than Awakening and Rev overall, because I think that it is. I just find that, in terms of gameplay, it's not that far from them and certainly not far enough to account for such a vast difference in scores between them (right now Echoes is second only to PoR with regards to how many people viewed the game as "fantastic", which is baffling to me).

What I think for Echoes, people make up the problems for the gameplay with the presentation of the game. I'm in the same about you are, even though the map design for Awakening was bland for the most part, it didn't annoy me as Echoes did. Some of the worse aspects in Echoes was because it was a remake, changing little from the design in Gaiden.

As for the characters, I feel having only one/two supports for most units really hurts the game. Take KIff for example, he has only one support with Grey, after that he barely has anything to do. I even forgot his personality nearing the end of the game.

I rated Echoes as just average, which is above of what I rated Awakening and Revelation, but I definitely think the game’s gameplay isn’t good enough to go on any rating above that. Funnily enough, the thing i dislike the most about it is how hard it is to avoid facing skirmishes. I like tight fire emblem experiences, in which there’s no optional battles and you have to manage your resources, including exp. It’s extremely easy to simply not grind on Awakening, Sacred Stones, Birthright and Revelation, but on Echoes, if you want to go back to a shrine to promote a unit or to a town to forge a weapon/complete a sidequest, you will have to face a new skirmish, and running on dungeons in order to avoid non mandatory battles was annoying as fuck. Those extra battles simply kill any challenge the game could provide. The terrible map design adds to that as well, though i didn’t actually find them annoying, just boring.

Edited by Nobody

So it appears Gaiden is the cheese in the FE sandwich according to our opinions. It says quite a bit that SoV is the second best in the series according to opinion. We might need to recheck this in a few months to see if it's similar again.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

So it appears Gaiden is the cheese in the FE sandwich according to our opinions. It says quite a bit that SoV is the second best in the series according to opinion. We might need to recheck this in a few months to see if it's similar again.

The production values and recency bias are strong. Its a pretty fun FE all things considered but i'm honestly shocked its so high.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Where are people seeing the results, again? 

Once you've done the survey you go to the original link and it tells you, you've already done the survey and lets you hit another link to see the results.  Here they are right now.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSebWW6V00EFrnubHtUfPVid8AOm_MOoJzn7tVUp62VBaJklGA/viewanalytics

1 minute ago, Zasplach said:

Once you've done the survey you go to the original link and it tells you, you've already done the survey and lets you hit another link to see the results.  Here they are right now.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSebWW6V00EFrnubHtUfPVid8AOm_MOoJzn7tVUp62VBaJklGA/viewanalytics

Thanks bud. Wasn't logged in so I didn't get that option - I realize I should've tried hat first, but I'm lazy.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

The production values and recency bias are strong. Its a pretty fun FE all things considered but i'm honestly shocked its so high.

It at 2 makes more sense than SS at 3 to me. 

But I'm not going to try to wrap my head around why either of them are so high. Just gotta let it be. 

VERY glad to see FE9 having the highest score, especially since it's my personal favorite in the series (then Echoes, then Radiant Dawn) because I just love the story and characters a lot. Also it has something I like to call "Dark Souls Appeal" where, since it's viewed as the most "hardcore" in the franchise (even though that title probably belongs to the likes of thracia 776 or conquest) many people look up to it since they view it as a "proper fire emblem" even though that makes no sense...

What DOES make sense is that a lot of people, such as myself, really enjoyed the story, tone, gameplay, music, art style, etc... of the Tellius games and Echoes, probably because they're just very good games in certain areas, whilst PoR is considered a fantastic game in most areas (except for those N64 tier battle models). Not only that, already Ike has somewhat of a cult following with him winning the "Choose your legends" ballot for Males proving this, again, probably because his games are :B):

I added my opinions! I'm so happy to see how much SF loves Tellius! Looks like they're the most liked with PoR being the most liked period! Go Tellius! :D *waves Crimea flag because Ike and Elincia*

PoR and RD definitely have the best overall story, characters, and gameplay imo. No other game beats them in any of these categories to me.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I added my opinions! I'm so happy to see how much SF loves Tellius! Looks like they're the most liked with PoR being the most liked period! Go Tellius! :D *waves Crimea flag because Ike and Elincia*

PoR and RD definitely have the best overall story, characters, and gameplay imo. No other game beats them in any of these categories to me.

Glad to see another person on here likes Ike :D:

I wonder how well a remake of path of radiance, or a new story on Tellius, would affect the fire emblem community?

1 minute ago, Dinar87 said:

Glad to see another person on here likes Ike :D:

I wonder how well a remake of path of radiance, or a new story on Tellius, would affect the fire emblem community?

Ike is one of my favorite video game characters period. I love him!

And yeah, but I see Tellius remakes doing quite well because of Ike's popularity and because of how generally loved they are among people that already played the originals. It's also an opportunity to patch the flaws RD has in its writing. PoR was better written while RD has a few kinks to work out despite still being good in its own ways.

My votes:

C: FE1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 11

B: FE6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14Br, 14Rv, 15

A: FE5, 10, 14Cq

I’m on mobile right now so I’ll post my thoughts in detail tonight, but I will say that Fates doesn’t deserve the hate it gets while FE4 and FE9 are ridiculously overrated. 

I've only played FE7-FE10. I ended up ranking FE10 an A and the rest of the games a B. 

On 11/21/2017 at 9:26 AM, Jave said:

My votes:

C: FE1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 11

B: FE6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14Br, 14Rv, 15

A: FE5, 10, 14Cq

I’m on mobile right now so I’ll post my thoughts in detail tonight, but I will say that Fates doesn’t deserve the hate it gets while FE4 and FE9 are ridiculously overrated. 

I think people rate FE9 and FE4 highly because of the story and Fates gets a lot of hate for its story. 

13 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

I'm surprised that FE1 is below Gaiden. 

Well considering Gaiden has a better UI than FE1's nearly unusable without frustration one, that kind of puts it above it alone imo.