Your Thoughts on Seasonal Heroes

Rezzy

How often do you think we should have seasonal banners?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you think we should have seasonal/holiday/limited banners?

• More often
    • About as often as we do now (Once a month/50% of the time)
    • Less often than we do now
    • Never

Question.  I'll spoiler my thoughts as not to influence

Spoiler

Going into December it looks like we're probably going to be getting a Christmas Banner, if you include CYL, that will be seven straight months with seasonal banners.  (If you don't include CYL, it's still six out of seven.)  By comparison, February through May, we only had one.

I don't hate the seasonal banners, but I think they come a little too often, to where roughly half the banners are seasonal ones.  With GHBs slowing to a crawl as well, this doesn't bode well for the rate at introducing new unique characters.

I think the seasonal banners should be roughly 4 or 5 times a year.  That way you can have one for each season, but not get them to the point they seem excessive.  Did we really need two Beach Banners?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had my way, seasonal banners would be rare (3-4 times a year at most). I'd prefer to see as many characters from the series added to the game before repeats like Ike, Lyn, Lucina and Xander. Not that I necessarily dislike any of those characters, but with 4 versions of Lucina already in characters like Lorenz and Renault seem like a pipe dream.

Just now, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

Eh. I could care less...

As a proud grammar nazi, you should know that saying you "could care less" means you do care, at least a little bit.

1 minute ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

Yes. I know. I do care, but not much.

Would you like to join the Alt-Write Society?

I'm afraid I like to wantonly split my infinitives too much.

blah, blah it should have more varied series representation blah, blah, blah

Now that that obligatory complaint is out of the way, on to actual opinions:

It's a shame there's such a relatively small window of opportunity to get them (now with some exceptions), but if that wasn't the case then they wouldn't be special little snowflakes since apparently it can't be any other way. Because of their limited availability, I feel compelled to focus on the seasonal banners and ignore other banners while they're still available, aside from the first free summons that is. Sure, the new units and other regular unit banners are great, but I could theoretically pull any of them at any time. For that reason, I do wish they would slow the seasonal banners down just a bit. If we got more Legendary Heroes events like the one we're getting in a couple of weeks, it'd make the situations seem less dire, but I don't know how often I should be expecting events like that to happen.

I don't mind them, honestly, I like the variety, but like others, I wish they did more older characters as special units, but not because I want to see older characters but because with all these new versions, we aren't getting any of the remaining Fatesawakening characters that we are missing.

Bridal Charlotte is nice, but I want regular Charlotte. Also, regular Inigo and Shigure. I also want Miriel, Sumia, Vaike and the rest of the gang already. We haven't had any non-special Fatesawakening character since Xander and Female Robin in the GHB and I want them :c

I like them, but they're coming too often. I'd rather have some down time in between.  I suppose that's all part of the plan, so you're forced to split orbs between limited units and whatever else happens that month like a Hero Fest or just the regular banners too (increasing the incentive to drop money).

If they did it once every couple months instead of ever month, I think that'd be better. Stuff like the dancer banner also felt kind of unnecessary. I'd rather keep it to just actual seasonal stuff, like Halloween and Christmas.

Edited by Alkaid

There are only 4 seasons in a year. Why are they called Seasonal?

Holiday Banners doesn't sound right either. You can count marriage as a holiday- people do celebrate anniversaries. And you could weasel an excuse that the swimsuits are part of a tradition of summer vacations that counts loosely as a holiday. But what does October have to do with the performing arts? What holiday does the month have celebrating them?

I guess these are a money maker for IS/DeNA/whoever is making this game. Limited time only puts pressure on players that makes them more willing to PtP. Taking popular characters and reusing them lets the developer make more money off them, which is better than adding not so popular characters who'd bring in presumably less cash flow. Plus, people like the holidays. And some of the ideas they can use for seasonal banners- like an all refresher group and flying/armor units of types FE has never or very rarely done- are by their gameplay uniqueness appealing, on top of exclusive skills.

In terms of gameplay, it's whatever. As good as some of the characters/skills/weapons can be, I can win without them.

In terms of characters, they're hit or miss fanservice (mostly miss for me). Some characters are gimmicky/shallow enough in their personalities as they are, so I'd rather them focus on improving that instead of just being like "DON'T YOU JUST LOVE ARBOR DAY"

In terms of summoning/orb buying, it's an exploitative cash grab.

Edited by Johann

I don’t like the fact that we are now having “seasonal” nonstop from Oct till - expectedly - end of Dec.

Too many special units make them feel less special now.

Edited by Okigen

I feel like there should be as many or more than we have, BUT they should be less "special".  In other words, no more unique inheritable weapons/skills.  Just be an option for people who want more of certain characters in other colors/weapon types so you can maybe make a team of them, but you won't feel like you missed out on something amazing if you passed on it or failed to roll them.

To be honest. I really don't care about them. Mainly because

1. predictable choices ( 90% will be fates/awakening  cast or the 10th version of a single unit)

2. I get the fan service aspect of it but seriously some design choices are really questionable (especially when nintendo feels to censor certain aspects of classic FE)

Overall I'm happy for FE13/14  supporters, I guess. To counterpart it's nice to have half of the gaiden/echoes cast in it.

The funny thing is that 3 of the 4 top units for CYL are from the pre 3DS era, so you'd think they'd want to capitalize on their popularity, rather than just spam 3DS units over and over.

I just want new Fates characters that aren't "limited time only"; but be a permanent staple in the game. I like Xander and all; but I don't need 3 versions of him in the game (I say this as I want Spring Xander from the Legendary Heroes Banner coming up). Most of the time I end up going for seasonal units if only because of skills/weapons they have.

I don't particularly care about Special Heroes banners. I don't particularly care about how frequently they're showing up. I don't particularly care that they're all 3DS characters (aside from the brides).

What I care about is the fact that they replace a New Heroes banner in the monthly schedule. If they, for instance, ran in parallel with a New Heroes banner, rather than in place of one, then I'd have no problem with them tossing in a Special Heroes banner every month. With the current system, however, I'd prefer they dial it back a bit so we can get some more currently unrepresented characters in the game rather than alternate versions (and in some cases, alternate versions of unrepresented characters).

Like, if it were up to me, I'd keep Easter for spring, swimsuits for summer, Halloween for autumn, and Christmas for winter (going by the Northern Hemisphere's seasons), and leave it at that. One for each season. But with them already having the brides and the dancers being a thing, they're probably going to continue to use those events next year.

Although, on the plus side, if they keep doing so many event banners, I do get a chance to save up my orbs for characters I do actually want. The only event banner I've spent orbs on has been the Performing Arts banner, because I only had one dancer.

Overall I think seasonals are fine as a method for having 'limited time' units.  Especially when the alternative for generating hype is making standard units limited (imagine Ike as a limited banner unit that is brought back periodically, similar to Gilgamesh in FGO).  At least with seasonals, it's usually not the only way you get that character (barring a few exceptions).

15 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

The funny thing is that 3 of the 4 top units for CYL are from the pre 3DS era, so you'd think they'd want to capitalize on their popularity, rather than just spam 3DS units over and over.

FWIW, they might have had plans for most of the seasonal units we've had so far before CYL results were available (see Christmas Tharja and Robin).  We don't know how far in advance units are planned.

I like the idea behind them! Not so much the character choices (more pre-3DS characters please), but yeah.

I don't think we needed that dancer banner and I don't count CYL as seasonal since they were permanently added to the pool. And I don't think we needed two summer banners. The brides didn't feel really necessary either, but I can understand why they were done (I would just like some grooms next time...). But other than that, I'm perfectly fine with how often we're getting them and I can't wait for Christmas!

These also give the opportunity for certain meh characters to get better versions. Henry's a great example. His regular self sucks, but his vampire self is really good.

Also, how can I say no to the sexiness that is Summer Freddy? <3 Not only was he my love from Awakening before that, but Frederick getting to show off his amazing abs just makes him more awesome to me! :D Also, I couldn't have "amazing abs of death!" written below my username. lol Though credit goes to @Arcanite for the idea. XD

I'm relatively ok with them. More often than not they're just shiny new toys, looking at you Ylissean Summer, but when you get into unique classes it gets stressing. I'm not a big fan of putting those classes behind a limited time banner because it basically makes it "get this super new class NOW or cry until next year/whenever we choose to bring 'em back if ever". Even if they''re not necessary it's still an annoyance.

Thankfully I'm not a collector so chances are I'm just going to pull for those who are characters I like, characters who look super cute and maybe characters with new classes every once in a while like I did for S!Corrin but not S!Camilla (although the mage/archer armor and red flying mage are super unique they didn't won me over). Also if the Christmas banner keeps itself as the datamine from 8 months ago showed then I'll be more than happy to ignore it while Spring Xander laughs at my pathetic tries to get Fjorm.

Some people really have flawed views on Gacha progression. These amount of Special banners isn't anything uncommon and they kinda need to do that to make whales excessively pull.

Not that I care too much since I don't invest in time-limited banners. The only time I ever pulled from there was for Azura/Inigo and that only because I wanted a Green Dancer.

The only banner that seemed a bit strange was Performing Arts which nobody could have guessed that one. In fact the Halloween Banner should have been there instead.
The 2nd Summer banner was maybe a bit excessive since not a lot of these units were that great (Corrin, Tiki, Elise and Gaius/Frederick) would have done the job more than enough.
All the other special banners were justified (Spring, Summer, Halloween & Wedding)

Edited by Talandar