Your Thoughts on Seasonal Heroes

Rezzy

How often do you think we should have seasonal banners?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you think we should have seasonal/holiday/limited banners?

• More often
    • About as often as we do now (Once a month/50% of the time)
    • Less often than we do now
    • Never

I dislike them with a smouldering passion.

They are an artificial method to throttle the influx of regular heroes (still no regular Awakening/Fates characters after almost ten months, no Leif’s or Micaiah’s crew etc.) with usually uninspired recycles of the already existing ones.

I deliberately never pulled seasonal and will continue to ignore these. I would prefer if they didn’t exist at all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IS really needs to cool it with the limited edition banners since it has sent out back-to-back month-long limited edition banners 2 times already. It's honestly getting annoying at this point.

July 2017: Ylissean Summer

August 2017: Nohrian Summer

October 2017: Performing Arts

November 2017: Trick or Defeat! (Godawful timing as the banner is still running even though Halloween is very much well over)

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Christmas-themed banner were going to take up much of December 2017, setting a record of 3 consecutive month-long limited edition banners.

Edited by Roflolxp54

I just realized ... maybe the reason only the seasonal characters who were on the spring and bridal banner are getting a rerun on the 8% banner is because the spring and the bridal banner were only 2 weeks. The seasonal banners other than that were all a month long, right?

The banner lasting a month isn't really the issue, but that we lose out on new characters for half the month. Wouldn't mind seasonal banners nearly as much if they didn't replace a "new" banner.

Edited by Sunwoo

13 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I just realized ... maybe the reason only the seasonal characters who were on the spring and bridal banner are getting a rerun on the 8% banner is because the spring and the bridal banner were only 2 weeks. The seasonal banners other than that were all a month long, right?

The banner lasting a month isn't really the issue, but that we lose out on new characters for half the month. Wouldn't mind seasonal banners nearly as much if they didn't replace a "new" banner.

What do all of you think about the design of the heroes?

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

The funny thing is that 3 of the 4 top units for CYL are from the pre 3DS era, so you'd think they'd want to capitalize on their popularity, rather than just spam 3DS units over and over.

Let's expand that to the top 8 though. Then you have 4 out of 8 (let's also not forget that Tharja technically did better than Roy too, he just got saved by the division). By the time you get to top 20, the 3DS era has outperformed the entire rest of the series. Look closer and you'll see only lords from pre-3DS in the top 20 (overall, not by gender). The new games have a broader pool of popular characters to pick from which makes sense for stuff like this. Awakening and Fates both received more votes than any of the others. Sure, there are popular lords, but the rest of the cast is mostly meh with a few exceptions.

That said, I want some normal Awakening characters added.

I personally like the seasonal banners, I think they are the kind of thing that makes the game more fun around holidays, I do find it annoying that we may never see an opportunity to get some of them again, but I guess that's just how things go with these games, I would like to see more pre 3ds characters next year in seasonals, I have no problem with seeing Ike in a swimsuit or hector as santa.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to blow through every popular or significant unit in the series within the first year and  using the seasonal banners would be a pretty good way to better fill in the empty space rather than adding characters til your easy options run dry, I mean I like Rolf but how many people would say he is must have? I guess what I am trying to say is that a pretty high number of people will probably not be clamoring for a banner featuring devdan, young sothe and largo, and I have a feeling that such things could possibly happen within the second year if they aren't careful with spacing out their new inclusions.

I'll still be annoyed if we don't get micaiah this year, 9th highest female appears to mean nothing, and farfetched heroes says they are willing to look at CYL for ideas, I can only tolerate her absence for so long and it is a little strange that she was noteworthy enough to show up on the page right before the CYL results, so they can't have forgotten she exists.

I like the concept, but I hate the execution. I am not a fan of how they are limited time only. It forces me to pull at least one of each copy. I have not pulled much from regular banners for the past few months outside of the free summons.

If they were permanently added to the summoning pool, I would probably vote for more often. Since they are time limited, I prefer them to be less often, although I am leaning very close to voting never.

1 hour ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

What do all of you think about the design of the heroes?

Lazy. Herp derp bunnies, herp derp Awakening wedding dresses, herp derp swimsuits, herp derp Fates DLC swimsuits, herp derp Halloween.

Dancers are a tiny bit more inspired rather than not all, but even then Olivia is just usual Olivia but with some bling, Inigo is Olivia with more clothes and in grey, Azura is Nohrian Azura we’ve been expecting for a long time, and Shigure is just nothing.

Halloween Henry is the most original seasonal among all of them, and that speaks volumes.

In my opinion, we are getting too many seasonal banners.  I think ~4 seasonal banners a year is more reasonable.  Easter, Summer, Halloween, and Christmas.  :]  I think the bride banner and extra summer banner were unnecessary.

I admit, I loved the Performing Arts banner.  All four of them were characters I like, in awesome outfits!  However, I don't see why it couldn't have just been a regular banner.  I guess it was seasonal since they're in alternate costumes, but ehhhh.  They could have at least kept them in the main pool at 5* exclusive, like the Brave heroes.  

The seasonal characters are cute and fun, but I don't like that the seasonal banners cut down the amount of new/permanent characters we get.  (Especially with the current trend of 3-person regular banners, with only 1 person dropping to a 4*.)

Also, I have no problem with most of the seasonal characters being from the 3DS era because Awakening & Fates are my favourite FE games.  Sooo, I'm biased.  Haha.  ;):

Ironically the one seasonal I actually cared about the most is the most random, non-traditional 'season' which are the dancers.

But yeah too many, too soon.

Alternate units are nice, like ranged armours, but locking all mage fliers to them is kind of annoying.

They're good in making unviable units like Henry more enjoyable to use, but we need more variety in terms of proper characters. Micaiah and Leif being pushed back to next year is disappointing for their fans.

At the very least, make some less 3DS era seasonals.

I like them for the most part, and I'm okay with the frequency. 

My only complaints are that I wish the characters chosen were more like the Bridal Banner, ie no repeating games, and I wish the themes were more like Performing Arts.

Of course I wish Fates and Awakening could be omitted every once in a while, or at least share a banner like ToD and PA, but I'd be happy with them at least sharing space with other games.

1 hour ago, Sayyyaka said:

My only issue is locking class types to seasonals, such as mage fliers and ranged armours.  They can do what they want otherwise, they're just alts.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!

This is honestly my number one complaint. While I also have a problem with seasonals in terms of how often we are barraged with them and as a consequence often pulling my attention completely off the regular banners in an attempt to get the rare heroes, my main issue is that certain gameplay elements are locked behind these limited events. 3/3 ranged fliers, 2/2 ranged armors and 4/7 dancers are event-limited, meaning huge blows to those who want to build flier or armor teams - and having 7 unique dancers as opposed to only 3 makes AA and SA exponentially easier.

It would be fine if these 'special' hero types were first introduced in limited banners and after a while moved to the regular summoning pool, but this hasn't happened yet and we haven't seen much of an indication that it will.

7 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

The only other gacha I still play that I’m familiar with is F/GO. There’s tons of “Limited Pickup Summon” servants, usually 5* in most banners, on top of having seasonal units like Bride or Swimsuit on Valentine’s and summer respectively. Most pickup summon units either never appear again, are rerun only once or twice, or may appear in the New Year’s gacha, which requires paid premium currency for a guaranteed chance of rolling a 5* unit from a fixed pool of characters.

Nero Bride actually isn't a seasonal Servant.  That's her outfit from Extra CCC.  They just timed her initial release to coincide with Valentine's Day.  Summer is really the only seasonal units in FGO.

Also, every limited unit has had at least one other rate-up now (though most of the collab ones are only on New Years) except the CCC event, which was just a few months ago and will likely have another rate-up on New Years.  And the New Years rotating rate-ups don't require paid quartz, that's a separate banner that you're thinking of.

7 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

For it to really work, they need to be willing to demote more heroes down, especially to 3*.  I know more or less why they don't, but they really do need to look at the hero pool at some point.  The 3 and 4 rate switch just masked the problem, and they've started demoting fewer heroes from the new hero banners, which doesn't help either.

Agreed.  It's gotten to the point that I don't really want to roll red anymore because of how especially bloated that color is.  Colorless and blue are getting close... so I guess green is the only one I'd feel comfortable rolling anymore.

7 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

IS really needs to cool it with the limited edition banners since it has sent out back-to-back month-long limited edition banners 2 times already. It's honestly getting annoying at this point.

I feel like this is an issue separate from seasonal banners themselves.

I didn't really have an issue with seasonals until they began giving us crappy three person normal banners. I like seasonals and seeing the new designs - I seem to be in the minority when I say I find them very interesting, personally.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a seasonal every month if the following were to occur:

They branch out from just doing Awakening/Conquest - I love these games and I'm aware they're popular, but they haven't really given other games a chance. I'd honestly love to see the characters that first got me into this in weird and wonderful outfits, and I'm sure they'll be more popular with Heroes making people aware of them. Not to mention, people are going to pull for a flying mage, etc, so it doesn't feel like worrying about them not being popular is an excuse.

They don't keep doing crappy three person banners. Even with TT, it doesn't feel enough. Three - Five people added every month is ludicrous.

^ if they keep to that, then they can add some lesser popularity characters in as 3-4*, or even 3* only pulls. Make getting 3*'s actually somewhat exciting again. No one will pull on a banner for characters like the Sable Knights, who only appeared briefly, or Daniel and Jorge, the random merchant, but I think it'd be fun to see them in the game (especially to see how they incorporate Daniel/Jorge/Merlinus, etc). This would help keep the pools at least somewhat even, and make all pulls that little bit more exciting in my (possibly naïve) hopes.

Personally, I have enjoyed all the banners except the brides one. It reminded me too much of other gachas - screw the fans who want male characters, females sell! Thankfully, it didn't come to pass as badly as I'd feared, since other seasonals remained even, but there's been several VGs skewed towards females with none skewed towards males, and all the three person pulled banners have 2 females to one male even where it doesn't make sense (seriously, adding Oscar without Kieran - a much needed axe unit?!). That being said, male units tend to be free more than females, so at least there's that *shrugs*.

My favourite banner was the dancer banner, though. It tied into the games and the characters, giving me something I feel should have been in the original games (you should have been able to reclass Inigo into a dancer imo, and Shigure into a singer, but with the caveat you'd have to reclass Olivia/Azura away from that). So that one really did tie in, and it helped for people who don't like the outlandish outfits, since theirs do fit into the normal battle outfits. I like the outlandish outfits, personally. Bunny Chrom remains a top favourite :D And can't forget Naked Xander xD

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

how can I say no to the sexiness that is Summer Freddy? <3

No one can tbh

Well the main idea behind seasonal units is for IS to make money off of them, you know, get people to spend money on it because those heroes aren't going to be there forever. I guess it makes sense. Most times the units on the focus are pretty good too. I don't really have any problems with it

1 hour ago, GinRei said:

Nero Bride actually isn't a seasonal Servant.  That's her outfit from Extra CCC.  They just timed her initial release to coincide with Valentine's Day.

And the New Years rotating rate-ups don't require paid quartz, that's a separate banner that you're thinking of.

I didn’t know that about Nero, actually. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I should have mentioned there being two separate banners during New Years, but limited servants have appeared in the guaranteed 5* gacha before, like Okita.

Less Seasonal Banners, more GHB battles. Seriously IS has been slacking of with new GHB since 2 months... I rather take GHB then Seasonal banners. But i understand the view from a company side. GHB = free units, seasonal banners = people tend to spend money...

7 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

if we don't get micaiah this year, 9th highest female appears to mean nothing, and farfetched heroes says they are willing to look at CYL for ideas, I can only tolerate her absence for so long and it is a little strange that she was noteworthy enough to show up on the page right before the CYL results, so they can't have forgotten she exists.

New hero banners need at least one strong, popular and important unit so it makes no sense to release them all together.

Micaiah is just being saved to be the centerpiece of her eventual banner. It would have made no sense to put her amongst the CYL units that were just released this week.

Edited by Vince777

Stupid characters in stupid costumes... if there is enough cloth for it to be called a costume that is.

I would not lament their absence at all. I'd rather see banners introducing new characters or a new GHB.

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

New hero banners need at least one strong, popular and important unit so it makes no sense to release them all together.

Micaiah is just being saved to be the centerpiece of her eventual banner. It would have made no sense to put her amongst the CYL units that were just released this week.

What I meant by that, was that it's clear that CYL results that are not top 2 male and female are at least looked at and are taken somewhat seriously, micaiah will be a centerpiece and I don't see her being released without some radiant dawn characters as well, I just think its stupid that they have been taking so much time to get around to it, I almost feel like we will get lief before micaiah because children of fate is either awakening, fates, or genealogy again. I certainly hope that there is at least one new banner they aren't letting us know about. or maybe not because I need to save orbs.

Why the rush though?

L'Arachel is my favourite FE character and, knowing she's pretty much a lock, unlike some of my other favourites like Bastian, I'm at ease just waiting for it to happen and it might take a while considering the next Sacred Stones banner might only be in months.

Plus the longer you wait, the more she'll be powercreep. :)

Edited by Vince777

I'm fine with seasonal banners it's either goofy costumes, fanservice, or in case of the Performing Arts banner ideas that many have been clamoring to have for a long time, and it's not hard for me to ignore them. My issue with them isn't that they're solely Awakening and Fates characters since I'm sure they prioritized them for the 1st year but it's how they chose to incorporate characters for these games. If it's fates seasonal  is revealed the expectation is a  nohrian and not even one of the regular units the nohr royals were prioritized over their cast and hoshido for both banners. Im happy that Awakening has used a different character for each seasonal but it's agonizing waiting for the unpopular Awakening characters like Miriel, Sumia,Libra, and especially Panne due to her designation as a beast unit.

In summary I don't like how one sided the choices are for fates and the use of different awakening seasonals is fine but the wait for them stings, and I like others have stated I await other characters to be represented in these banners don't get your hopes up for santa hector