The official ''I have Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon'' topic!

Michelaar

31 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see. Yeah, that's true. But I still wonder if this was GF trying to milk Mimikyu's popularity by making more people use it. But I guess I still don't necessarily HAVE to, if the Toxic and Focus Sash thing DOES work. It's just too bad I don't have Thunder Wave... I have Pokemon that can learn it, but I'm not sure I have moves I'm willing to replace with that.

GF isn't trying to "force" players to use Mimikyu, they designed Necrozma to be difficult to beat, sometimes requiring players to make a strategy around it (especially those with underleveled Pokemon), unlike the random trainers you encounter. With how customizable Pokemon are, there are lots of strategies that can work, it really just depends on what you have. For example, my team had Zoroark and Gengar, so the former looked like the latter to bait Photon Geyser and wham it with Night Slash. Toxic is just a general strat that can work on any team since it requires only a held item and a TM that almost all Pokemon can learn.

And a quick question... why do you think Toxic won't work for you specifically? I already pointed out the only way it can fail, which occurs only through bad luck.

And to stay relevant to the topic...

I beat the game (Ultra Moon) and Episode RR a few days ago, final team was Primarina, Zoroark, Alakazam, Gengar, Flareon, and Hawlucha, all at Level 70. Dunno if I'll do other stuff like the other Ultra Beasts or legendaries. If I do continue to play, I'll most likely hunt for a Pheromosa with a good nature and do Battle Tree/Agency with that, Tapu Koko (Hasty, +Spd -Def)/Lele (Modest, +SpA -Atk), and (Mega) Alakazam/Gengar.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Skfoos said:

GF isn't trying to "force" players to use Mimikyu, they designed Necrozma to be difficult to beat, sometimes requiring players to make a strategy around it (especially those with underleveled Pokemon), unlike the random trainers you encounter. With how customizable Pokemon are, there are lots of strategies that can work, it really just depends on what you have. For example, my team had Zoroark and Gengar, so the former looked like the latter to bait Photon Geyser and wham it with Night Slash. Toxic is just a general strat that can work on any team since it requires only a held item and a TM that almost all Pokemon can learn.

And a quick question... why do you think Toxic won't work for you specifically? I already pointed out the only way it can fail, which occurs only through bad luck.

Yeah, but there don't seem to be many possible strategies at all, and other than the Toxic thing, few Pokemon can use them. That's just not cool. Also, yeah, Necrozma should be hard to beat, but it literally oneshots your whole team easily. My team wasn't even that underleveled, it was lv. 55-56.

As for why I'm not sure it would work, it's simply that I don't know if my team can stay alive long enough for Toxic to finish.

45 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but there don't seem to be many possible strategies at all, and other than the Toxic thing, few Pokemon can use them. That's just not cool. Also, yeah, Necrozma should be hard to beat, but it literally oneshots your whole team easily. My team wasn't even that underleveled, it was lv. 55-56.

As for why I'm not sure it would work, it's simply that I don't know if my team can stay alive long enough for Toxic to finish.

Just because you're not aware of said strategies due to having different Pokemon/not being able to use them does not mean they don't exist. GF wouldn't just leave in a mandatory boss fight where people are required to know a specific strategy in order to win.

IIRC, toxic poison KOs a Pokemon at 100% HP in 6 turns (including the one where Toxic was used), provided that no healing was done (which Necrozma can't do). You don't need any Revives to stay in the fight (and even if my math is wrong and you do need Revives, you won't need many).

1 minute ago, Skfoos said:

Just because you're not aware of said strategies due to having different Pokemon/not being able to use them does not mean they don't exist. GF wouldn't just leave in a mandatory boss fight where people are required to know a specific strategy in order to win.

IIRC, toxic poison KOs a Pokemon at 100% HP in 6 turns (including the one where Toxic was used), provided that no healing was done (which Necrozma can't do). You don't need any Revives to stay in the fight (and even if my math is wrong and you do need Revives, you won't need many).

I see... Maybe I will actually try that then. I thought I might need to use a whole bunch of revives, that was mainly why I was reluctant to try it. I'll do so tomorrow though, if I do.

I wound up bringing Mimikyu (who is one of my favourites) and a Salazzle (because I was expecting Mother Beast again). Also, my Primarina managed to take a hit from the thing. Don't remember why I didn't try Let's Snuggle Forever- either I hadn't gotten it (night-time only event) or because I didn't know Ultra Necrozma's type.

As of right now, I've beaten Episode RR, and now I'm working on Dex completion. My Elite Four team was Primarina/Mimikyu/Dhelmise/Lycanroc/Tyranitar/Noivern, with Lopunny, Bewear, Malamar, Golem, Mawile, Salazzle, and Golisopod on rotation. Unfortunately, all but Mawile are now far behind because of that experience at the end, but meh. Malamar could still solo that Dexio jerk in Route 16.

(I also have all Wormhole Legendaries I can get without a copy of Ultra Moon.)

I just did the Toxic trick. I tried to add more damage with some other ideas, but none worked, so Toxic just had to gradually do its job. Thankfully, I didn't have to use any revives.

And now I just beat Hapu! She still wasn't that hard, but I still like her a lot cause of how cute she is and stuff. ^^ My team's levels now!

Minuet (Primarina) - lv. 59
Jerec (Lopunny) - lv. 57
Kiel (Dusk Lycanroc) - lv. 58
Skye (Braviary) - lv. 56
Bryan (Leafeon) - lv. 59
Sara (Houndoom) - lv. 56

I'm gonna do a few surfing sessions and teach Jerec Thunder Punch before I go up Mt. Lanakila though.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I just did the Toxic trick. I tried to add more damage with some other ideas, but none worked, so Toxic just had to gradually do its job. Thankfully, I didn't have to use any revives.

And now I just beat Hapu! She still wasn't that hard, but I still like her a lot cause of how cute she is and stuff. ^^ My team's levels now!

Minuet (Primarina) - lv. 59
Jerec (Lopunny) - lv. 57
Kiel (Dusk Lycanroc) - lv. 58
Skye (Braviary) - lv. 56
Bryan (Leafeon) - lv. 59
Sara (Houndoom) - lv. 56

I'm gonna do a few surfing sessions and teach Jerec Thunder Punch before I go up Mt. Lanakila though.

The Elite Four and Mt. Lanikala had some changes, if you want I can some advice so you won’t go unprepared , or do you prefer stay unspoiled?

9 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

The Elite Four and Mt. Lanikala had some changes, if you want I can some advice so you won’t go unprepared , or do you prefer stay unspoiled?

I know they had some changes. I'm gonna go in unspoiled for now tho.

My team is now lv. 60-62 upon reaching the league Pokemon Center. I think I'm set!

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I know they had some changes. I'm gonna go in unspoiled for now tho.

My team is now lv. 60-62 upon reaching the league Pokemon Center. I think I'm set!

All right then, however will say that your team levels are pretty good for the Elite Four. You might not even need to grind for the post game Team Rainbow Rocket.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

All right then, however will say that your team levels are pretty good for the Elite Four. You might not even need to grind for the post game Team Rainbow Rocket.

I figured. And we'll see. I still hear they're tough and I'm no expert Pokemon player. Decent, sure, but not super good. XD

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I figured. And we'll see. I still hear they're tough and I'm no expert Pokemon player. Decent, sure, but not super good. XD

Most trainers in Rainbow Rocket have Pokemon around levels 66-68, so you are pretty close in level. This is a spoiler, but what makes them hard is the fact that the bosses use

Legendary Pokemon on their teams, and some legendaries they use change depending on the version. Plus Giovanni has a Mega Mewtwo.

19 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Most trainers in Rainbow Rocket have Pokemon around levels 66-68, so you are pretty close in level. This is a spoiler, but what makes them hard is the fact that the bosses use

Reveal hidden contents

Legendary Pokemon on their teams, and some legendaries they use change depending on the version. Plus Giovanni has a Mega Mewtwo.

Oh, that's not a spoiler. I heard about that and I remember seeing something about it in the trailer about them.

I have Ultra Moon! Also, I've beaten the main story + post game content, so yeah. For those that have beaten the game, I pose a question to you:

Did you find the game enjoyable? For me:

Overall, I loved Ultra Sun/Moon. It's slightly inferior to Sun and Moon, but I still had a fun time with it. There is indeed a lot more here than just 'a redo of Sun and Moon'. In the end, aren't all 3rd version just redos anyway? The only ones that avert this really are Platinum and Black/White 2 (Which is why I think those games are better than their respective predecessors). Emerald is kind of like this, but fits under the Ultra Sun/Moon category as just a retread through the region with a lot more to do in said region. Now that the last Pokemon games on the 3DS have been released, my perspective on Gen 6 and 7 are positive. I think GameFreak took a good step forward. While yes, I do think that previous generations were handled better, the 3DS era was an experimental time for the Pokemon franchise. After all, this marks Pokemon's first jump into 3D on a handheld, so they had to be careful. That's what X and Y were for: to test the waters and see how Pokemon would do in full 3D. Gen 7 is even moreso experimental because of how much they added into it. Anyways, feel free to agree or disagree. This wasn't really a rant, but rather me looking back on the past 4 years of Pokemon. (Man, can you believe X and Y were released in 2013!? Me neither, it feels like last year)

(on my rating scale, Gen 7 is in 3rd place, behind Gen 4, which is in second, and of course Gen 2, which will always hold 1st place for the rest of eternity)

I finished both the league and the Rainbow Rocket episode and now my team is lv. 70ish.

Those team leaders were tough due to their legendaries. I was feeling rather overwhelmed, though I never lost. I'm glad it's over though, that was enough challenging battles for quite awhile.

I beat the game a few days ago, I suppose I should post my team and their levels.

Decidueye - Feh - Lv. 52

Zoroark - N - Lv. 51

Dusk Lycanrok - Infinite - Lv. 51

Turtonator - Lv. 52

Pelipper - Terribird (More like Terrorbird tbh) - Lv. 51

Metagross - Lv. 53

Honestly, I think this is some of the most fun I've had with the main game of a Pokemon game since B2W2. The boss trainers and totems were really challenging (Aside from the E4, they're a bit of a pushover even 5 or 6 levels under) and I'm kind of a sucker for the little mini-plots and sidequests. Plus, I might be a little addicted to Mantine Surf and Ultra Ride.

I bought Ultra Sun day one. I'm going through the game and am advancing at really slow pace. Just arrrived malie, and Hau obviously wrecked my team, as I dread. It was already hard before, but now it's just insane. (I had Ampharos, Zoroark, Malamar and Magmar level 30, and it still was a challenge.)

Totem Marowak was pretty hellish, but Totem Lurantis was as always a freaking joke (I had a perfect counter team available to be honnest. Funniest part was when he attacked Magby and burned itself. That and a few Intimidate made it made no damag, making Keckleon the biggest threat.)

I try to capture every Pokémon available, and complete the pokedex.

I started with a Rowlett (Female, as always), and my team consisits of... too many poémon to counts to be honest.

well, so far I have (More or less, from first t last captured) : 

Dartrix (Duchesse), Dawn (Dusk Lycanrock), Malamar (Sepiais.), Loppunny (Hazard Hare. A male one), Zoroark (Incognito), Furfrou (Comptesse), Growlithe (Fiery Doggy), Arbok (Aimal), Hawlucha (Delivrance), Crabrawler (Fight Crab.), Spectrum (EndlessStair. Can you guess where i got it?), Pharamp (Mary), Beautfly (Charmant), Nobat (Noinoi. The traded one), Poliwhirl (Jesus), Mantine (Surfie), Mareanie (Meanie), Magmar (Lava Snooze), Kangaskhan (Big Mama), Cranidos (No Brain), Bewear (Hug Mr Baby! Gotten from the Bewear SHow sidequest.), and Sandygast (Sainte Pelle.)

Not sure exactly yet which ones I'll keep and which ones I'll bench.

Not entirely sure where this should go but anyways...

At 82% with Pokedex completion. Most of everything left is Gen 7 things I lack in Bank, a few version exclusives, and some things I just simply lack generally that I need to get. That said it might end up being closer to 90% before I have to put in some work for the things, since I still have a few Pokemon in Bank I have yet to put into US for the Dex completion. I got halfway through the list and had to stop.

I've also gotten all 4 high scores on Mantine Surf. Honestly, once you practice it enough, you start getting how the mechanics work, and it ends up becoming pretty dang easy to consistently get 40k-60k points depending on the place you start. Heck, I beat the Poni high score by a whole 10k points. The reward is pretty cool, although if you've been playing Pokemon for a few generations you might already have the main reward. 

7 hours ago, Emerson said:

I've also gotten all 4 high scores on Mantine Surf. Honestly, once you practice it enough, you start getting how the mechanics work, and it ends up becoming pretty dang easy to consistently get 40k-60k points depending on the place you start. Heck, I beat the Poni high score by a whole 10k points. The reward is pretty cool, although if you've been playing Pokemon for a few generations you might already have the main reward. 

In an older game, maybe.

7 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Yeah, it sucks they make you erase pikachu's surf to transfer :/

Wait, seriously?!

Damn, remind me not to go for the Surfachu in Battle Revolution...

EDIT: Oh, wait, I remember why now. Gen 5 transfer didn't like HM moves.

Edited by Emerson

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Why is Guzma's Pinsir so stupidly fast? I don't understand. It outspeeds LYCANROC. That makes no sense to me.

Did you EV train your Lycanroc, and does Lycanroc have +speed nature and good iv's?

Cause if i am not mistaken, major npc's in Pokemon USUM have fully trained teams. Meaning, that is probably a jolly Pinsir with full investment in speed. Or maybe it has a choice scarf lol

Edited by SlayerX

It certainly ain't scarfed, nor does it have any choice item, since it could swap between Stone Edge and Storm Throw. It's still kind of stupid. I did it, anyway. Now I just need to do the Poni Island surfing spot...which looks to be absolutely stupid, given all of the freaking hazards.

6 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Did you EV train your Lycanroc, and does Lycanroc have +speed nature and good iv's?

Cause if i am not mistaken, major npc's in Pokemon USUM have fully trained teams. Meaning, that is probably a jolly Pinsir with full investment in speed. Or maybe it has a choice scarf lol

They also have full IVs in all stats. And 252/252 EV to the corresponding stats. so max IV + Max EVs makes it quite fast

SciresM posted the informations about Ultra Moon Trainers back then, if you're interrested.