Quick question on unit deployment

I'm really sorry for starting this but there doesn't seem to be a general questions thread, even though it for a really simple question. Please delete if this is inappropriate. 

In this game, I find that the number of units you can deploy increases with how many you recruit. Usually in FE games I would just train up about 14 units, but in this game it seems to encourage you to use everyone. Is it okay to just run with everyone or will there be exp issues? I'd rather playthrough with as minimal grinding as possible. 

31 minutes ago, ruruo said:

I'm really sorry for starting this but there doesn't seem to be a general questions thread, even though it for a really simple question. Please delete if this is inappropriate. 

In this game, I find that the number of units you can deploy increases with how many you recruit. Usually in FE games I would just train up about 14 units, but in this game it seems to encourage you to use everyone. Is it okay to just run with everyone or will there be exp issues? I'd rather playthrough with as minimal grinding as possible. 

I'd go ahead and just do it, but I'll also note that the final chapter allows you to field 20 units.

While there appears to be no deployment limit in the overworld in dungeons you are limited to 10 units (and the final chapter allows for a total of 20) so you should definitely not train more than 10 units in each group (including staff users) ... besides that, experience shouldn't be that much of an issue due to how higher level units don't gain very much exp to begin with.

If you are going to clear act 6 as well, there is again a 10 unit deployment limit for that one so you may want to put your main focus on a few selected units and use the other ones as "fillers". But in the end, the choice is yours as there is always the option to grind the heck out of your party.

Edited by Caedes

To clearify the 20 unit limit, that's 10 units from both parties (not on average, you can only take 10 units from each party).

I always deployed all of my units when I could, and I didn't run into any troubles for it. Having an extra archer/mage to deal some chip damage, or an extra frontline unit to take a hit never hurts. Just remember that you don't have to feed kills to all of them.

So the 20 unit limit on the final battle is not limited to ten to each side, I brought more of Alm's side in my playthrough (who was it: Tobin, Faye, Gray, Kliff?, Clair, Lukas, Forsyth, Python, Clive, Mathilda, Silgue?, Delthea, and for Celica's it was Palla, Catria, Est, Kamui, Mae, Boey, Saber, and Sonya)

Frankly, it's SoV and even in hard mode everyone can be deployed and useable. I'm not going to get into limitations with minimal grinding because I haven't done so yet.

Prioritising units based on their performance would be how I'd approach it if you're using fewer units. For example, Delthea is great once you get levels into her but she's got a weak enough base that you might not want to bother if you're trying to stick to that minimum grind.

Thank you for the replies, that makes it clearer.

@Caedes @Bartozio @LucarioGamer812 That's a lot of help! I was getting somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of people available. So as far as I understand it's probably better to focus on roughly 10 from each side, and use the other filler. Then on the final battle I'll pick from who I like and what's available. That just good to know, that gives me a better idea of distributing equipment too.

@Dayni I'll keep that in mind. I think, when it comes to grinding I'm not being that strict, it's just, I'd rather not going on a 3 hour tangent of grinding to get a unit on par with everyone else. 

23 minutes ago, ruruo said:

I'll keep that in mind. I think, when it comes to grinding I'm not being that strict, it's just, I'd rather not going on a 3 hour tangent of grinding to get a unit on par with everyone else. 

I doubt you'd need that much for a single unit, considering all the dungeons have Mila statues to allow you to promote them quite soon once they're eligable.

Calling the same example, Delthea would take a bit, but I don't remember it taking three hours to grind her, and I grinded her beyond her level for promotion. Course, I usually grind more than one unit at once, which would slow me down.

If this cast is a bit too big, I think you might want to avoid New Mystery for now, it has over 70 units.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I doubt you'd need that much for a single unit, considering all the dungeons have Mila statues to allow you to promote them quite soon once they're eligable.

Calling the same example, Delthea would take a bit, but I don't remember it taking three hours to grind her, and I grinded her beyond her level for promotion. Course, I usually grind more than one unit at once, which would slow me down.

If this cast is a bit too big, I think you might want to avoid New Mystery for now, it has over 70 units.

That sounds pretty manageable actually I think I probably just need to get my head around the dungeons, and how exp is is distributed in this game. 

Haha yes, I agree. New Mystery's cast is so massive, I've completed  it a few times actually and it one of my favourites from the series. I think the number of deployable units on maps are a bit lower (or I never took advantage of full deployment all the time) because I remember having so many people on the bench.

New mystery isn't that bad, I played through it not too long ago and I used like 20+ units (Marth, Kris, Luke, Roderick, Cecille, Norne, Navarre, Samto, Malice, Linde, Merric, Katarina, Astram, Ogma, Midia, Palla, Catria, Minerva, the first female cleric you get (forgot her name), and then I used Julian a lot for chest stealing, and Sirius was used once, Gordin, Ryan, and Draug were planned to be used but got benched)

7 hours ago, ruruo said:

That sounds pretty manageable actually I think I probably just need to get my head around the dungeons, and how exp is is distributed in this game. 

Haha yes, I agree. New Mystery's cast is so massive, I've completed  it a few times actually and it one of my favourites from the series. I think the number of deployable units on maps are a bit lower (or I never took advantage of full deployment all the time) because I remember having so many people on the bench.

......I am a dumbass, not seeing it was your favourite. Yeah, the difference is deployment size, but SoV isn't going to get much bigger than that anyway barring the final boss. But of course, then Chris kind of takes a slot as they please.

As usual for exp, the higher level you are, the more difficult it gets regardless as usual. But the thing about SoV is from level ten, it drops harder again, to the point that it gets a bit tedious but it is doable. Somehow. I grinded Delthea 15 levels before promotion, and it took longer to get the last few levels than it did the levels up to level 10 but she levelled up fast against the gargoyles, at least at first). Again, I said I don't remember it taking three hours, could be remembering incorrectly.