Agreements on Fire Emblem Remakes.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which remake do you agree on?

• I agree on a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War.
    • I agree on a remake of the Elibe Saga (Binding Blade/Blazing Sword.)
    • I agree on both of them.
    • I disagree on both of them

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why is Thracia ignored in the poll :*(

Because it relies on Genealogy for context and would be in a very weird place if they remade it first.

1 minute ago, X-Naut said:

Because it relies on Genealogy for context and would be in a very weird place if they remade it first.

Well you bundle Elibe. Why not bundle Jugdral? Or if your talking about how either of the Elibe games could be stand alone, why not make them separate answers in the poll?

I personally want the Archanea games to get one more chance but hey ho.

Out of Jugdral and Elibe...my Roy bias is screaming at me to choose a Binding Blade remake, but then I have to consider Blazing Blade, which doesn't really need a remake atm...and I really want to play the Jugdral games without dealing with the age, because honestly? Jugdral doesn't look pretty.

51 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well you bundle Elibe. Why not bundle Jugdral? Or if your talking about how either of the Elibe games could be stand alone, why not make them separate answers in the poll?

I don't think bundling either would be a very good move, frankly...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't think bundling either would be a very good move, frankly...

Even if they didn't have any inter generational mechanics? Like if it was just two games for the price of one ala Metroid Prime Trilogy or the Kingdom Hearts Re:Mixes?

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Because FE4 and FE5 play very differently from each other whereas the Elibe games play the same.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Because FE4 and FE5 play very differently from each other whereas the Elibe games play the same.

I don't see why that should stop them being bundled together. Nintendo once bundled the two NES Zelda games with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, which suffice to say don't play the same at all.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't see why that should stop them being bundled together. Nintendo once bundled the two NES Zelda games with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, which suffice to say don't play the same at all.

Oh you mean, actual bundles. Usually, when people talk about remaking the Elibe saga, they talk about them being combined into one big game. I thought you meant the same regarding the Jugdral games.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Oh you mean, actual bundles. Usually, when people talk about remaking the Elibe saga, they talk about them being combined into one big game. I thought you meant the same regarding the Jugdral games.

Well if the Elibe games were released together they would not be one big game. There might be a save data transfer for bonuses and stuff but Roy would not be starting his journey at Chapter 32. They are set in the same universe but they also are completely separate stories. And as far as how different Thracia and Holy War are, there's still stuff they could do by having them bundled. Like for example script changes regarding Sety and Nana depending on who their parents are.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, edgelordweeaboo said:

echoes was excellent

I'm sure it was, but to be frank, I still think that IS's policy of having their remakes stay faithful to the originals is something that has a lot of potential to backfire.

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I'm sure it was, but to be frank, I still think that IS's policy of having their remakes stay faithful to the originals is something that has a lot of potential to backfire.

yeah but they're completely willing to do new things with it too to some extent. in Echoes:SoV they completely changed how dungeons worked, changed maps, and added new major characters.

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Staying true to the source material is the whole point of a remake, if they don't do that it would be worse.

Edited by Tuvy2

And they should remake Thracia, but I don't know how they would do it..

(Sorry for the double post)

Edited by Tuvy2

1 hour ago, Tuvy2 said:

Staying true to the source material is the whole point of a remake, if they don't do that it would be worse.

Perhaps, and I'm fine with staying faithful to the original, but there are limits... And I think it's possible to be too faithful. But that depends on the game to begin with.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Tuvy2 said:

Where are you taking that logic from? It makes no sense. If a game was just designed poorly or lacking in the right technology at the time of its creation, then deviating from the source material won't make it worse. Objectively, it'll make it better. Do you think if Shadows of Valentia would be better if it stayed true to Gaiden by making it so movement squares weren't highlighted, damage wasn't precalculated or most player characters had no more than a single line of dialogue? The point of a remake, like any other game, is to make something that's good. Change too little and you've wasted time remaking a game that already exists, change too much and you've might as well have made a different game to start with. I for one, was delighted with Shadows of Valentia and how it kepts its maps/accuracy ststem/enemy density etc. But I think it did stay needlessly true to the original to the detriment of the game in some areas, like reusing maps, looping Dread Fighters and most classes being mono weapon.

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Where are you taking that logic from? It makes no sense. If a game was just designed poorly or lacking in the right technology at the time of its creation, then deviating from the source material won't make it worse. Objectively, it'll make it better. Do you think if Shadows of Valentia would be better if it stayed true to Gaiden by making it so movement squares weren't highlighted, damage wasn't precalculated or most player characters had no more than a single line of dialogue? The point of a remake, like any other game, is to make something that's good. Change too little and you've wasted time remaking a game that already exists, change too much and you've might as well have made a different game to start with. I for one, was delighted with Shadows of Valentia and how it kepts its maps/accuracy ststem/enemy density etc. But I think it did stay needlessly true to the original to the detriment of the game in some areas, like reusing maps, looping Dread Fighters and most classes being mono weapon.

I think of staying true as keeping the same mechanics and gameplay. Valentia stayed true to the core gameplay of the game and added more. I guess I misinterpreted what he said, because I thought he was saying that IS should not keep the same core gameplay and mechanics which I thought was ridiculous. I merely ment that they should overall keep the game the way it is while polishing the weaker points or fixing them, sorry.

Edited by Tuvy2

1 minute ago, Tuvy2 said:

I think of staying true s keeping the same mechanics and gameplay. Valentia stayed true to the core gameplay of the game and added more. I guess I misinterpreted what he said, because I thought he was saying that IS should not keep the same core gameplay and mechanics which I thought was ridiculous. I merely ment that they should overall keep the game the way it is while polishing the weaker points or fixing them, sorry.

It's an interesting discussion, which is why I made a dedicated thread to it

But on the subject of remakes, I, for one, wouldn't care if they radically changed the gameplay of a game so long as the end result was a well designed product. I love Gaiden's Gameplay but if Shadows of Valentia was inexplicably a real time strategy or something, or Genaology of Holy War was split into a more traditional Chapter format, that'd be fine with me. The way I see it, the original game is still there, and a remake won't marr that fact.