ROMHACKING FE8 (REMAKE)

Bhoop

Remake of FE Sacred Stones, all or most of it (Nintendo probably isn't going to do it anytime soon...)

November 23rd update to this topic

WHAT IS PLANNED (and may change):

---Changed growths to both allies and enemies

---New story and events, characters will be more flushed out in main story rather than supports. Some will even have different roles or classes.

---Changes to character roster to include...expendable units.

---Increased difficulty, and I mean INCREASED.

---NEW MAPS with more complicated objectives (For example, Escape, Defend certain areas)

---Will plan to include an OPTIONAL stealth mission similar to the one in PoR, but better.

---World map changes? 

---Skills and stuff like that

PROGRESS AND UPDATES:

Well...I'm in college and finals are coming up in a couple weeks. I do have a month of break, so I will work on this then. However, I still am learning how to make events, such as the Vanilla Seth vs Valter fight at the beginning. I somewhat have the difficulty down, and I know what the story for the first "arc" if I can put it that way, will be. I still need to make all/most of the maps. I need to learn about how to code in skills and stuff like that. I want to learn how to make character portraits and animation, though I probably will hold off on those two for now. I can't really say when the first STORY patch will be, but, if nothing goes wrong, I may have one for mid January. 

NOTE: This can all change, nothing is concrete at the moment.

WHAT I NEED HELP WITH AT THE CURRENT TIME (if someone is willing, but I won't ask you to come forward, only offer if you are interested in long periods of silence from me, I don't even know the full extent of what I need yet.)

---Portraits/mugs

---Some animations and palettes.

---Map design, difficulty.

THANKS FOR LISTENING

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I won't let you down...If you have any questions, feel free to post them, but I don't know how much I'll be able to answer depending on the question. Suggestions, of course, are welcome. 

A difficulty patch for Prologue-chapter 2 will be released sometime in the next few weeks. 

THANKS AGAIN. <3

Edited by Bhoop

4 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

The nightmare module you have must be treating the growths byte as 8 signed bits, so anything over 128 is displayed as negative. 

So, if I am understanding correctly, I will have to find nightmare modules that treat growths byte as 16 signed bits?

Edited by Bhoop

11 minutes ago, Tequila said:

Rest assured that growths are not, in fact, signed values.

Um, I'm sorry, I'm completely stupid and utterly hopeless xD, could you explain or elaborate? If it is no inconvenience to you that is.

A byte can either be unsigned or signed. If unsigned, it represents the numbers 0 through 255 in decimal (0x00 through 0xFF). In a signed value, the topmost bit (0x80) is used as a sign; it's set if the number is negative and not set if the number is positive. In this case, 0x00 through 0x7F are positive and represent the numbers 0 through 127, and 0x80 through 0xFF are negative and represent -128 through -1. In hex, your hp growth is 0x87. If the byte were unsigned, it would be equivalent to 134 decimal, but because FEBuilder decided growths were signed (for whatever reason), it'll display -121. However, the function that calculates growths uses unsigned bytes, and thus it will calculate the growth as 134, as you intended.

9 hours ago, Integrity said:

i think this goes here

report it if i'm wrong please

Thank you @Integrity

9 hours ago, Tequila said:

A byte can either be unsigned or signed. If unsigned, it represents the numbers 0 through 255 in decimal (0x00 through 0xFF). In a signed value, the topmost bit (0x80) is used as a sign; it's set if the number is negative and not set if the number is positive. In this case, 0x00 through 0x7F are positive and represent the numbers 0 through 127, and 0x80 through 0xFF are negative and represent -128 through -1. In hex, your hp growth is 0x87. If the byte were unsigned, it would be equivalent to 134 decimal, but because FEBuilder decided growths were signed (for whatever reason), it'll display -121. However, the function that calculates growths uses unsigned bytes, and thus it will calculate the growth as 134, as you intended.

9 hours ago, 2WB said:

No, you should find ones that label it as 8 bit unsigned integers (because that's what they are).

Ok, I think I understand now. Thank you @Tequila @2WB

(SOLVED)Hello again, I managed to get my hands on a skill patch for fe8 by circleseverywhere, and applied it to a fresh fe8 Rom. So after implementing the changes I made in my other rom without the skills patch, I went in to make sure everything was fine and dandy (after changing up a couple things). 

I am having a small problem with stats however. I added more enemies than the standard 7 (I removed the rienforcements) in chapter 1. After using FEBuilderGBA to add more enemies, Some stats seemed to have been affected to the player units:

StatExample.PNG

StatExample2.PNG

To be honest, I do not know what is wrong...I know almost jack shit about this kind of stuff. I have searched Resources and other topics in Questions for a way to fix this, but I can't seem to find it... 

Apologies if I am wasting your time with this problem.

Edited by Bhoop

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2017 at 9:29 PM, Bhoop said:

(SOLVED)Hello again, I managed to get my hands on a skill patch for fe8 by circleseverywhere, and applied it to a fresh fe8 Rom. So after implementing the changes I made in my other rom without the skills patch, I went in to make sure everything was fine and dandy (after changing up a couple things). 

I am having a small problem with stats however. I added more enemies than the standard 7 (I removed the rienforcements) in chapter 1. After using FEBuilderGBA to add more enemies, Some stats seemed to have been affected to the player units:

StatExample.PNG

StatExample2.PNG

To be honest, I do not know what is wrong...I know almost jack shit about this kind of stuff. I have searched Resources and other topics in Questions for a way to fix this, but I can't seem to find it... 

Apologies if I am wasting your time with this problem.

I just learned about this today, but to fix this, you must have enemy groups to be 16 or less in one group. The skills patch also glitches out the devil effect, making it give by the user and the person it hit ??? health before the user disappear. There is currently no fix for this, but for the negative stat glitch, I just used FEBuilder and edited the spawn groups.

7 minutes ago, DDDHunter said:

you must have enemy groups to be 16 or less in one group.

I made a fix for this, here's the Event assembler source:

PUSH
ORG 0xBA30
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xBA54
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xFA34
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xD5B80
WORD 0x203ED40
POP

this repoints the unit loading buffer to not overwrite the debuff table.

8 minutes ago, Kirb1337 said:

PUSH
ORG 0xBA30
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xBA54
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xFA34
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xD5B80
WORD 0x203ED40
POP

I have no idea how to use EA :X

If it's not too much trouble can you guide me through the step?

6 hours ago, DDDHunter said:

I have no idea how to use EA :X

If it's not too much trouble can you guide me through the step?

Step 1: download EA(at least 10.0)(search for it on feuniverse.us)

Step 2: paste that code i posted into a Text File

Step 3: Open ea, select the text file you just made for the "text" box, and your rom for the rom box, then hit assemble.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, Kirb1337 said:

PUSH
ORG 0xBA30
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xBA54
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xFA34
WORD 0x203ED40

ORG 0xD5B80
WORD 0x203ED40
POP

Oh my, Thank you so much!