Painless support grinding on Conquest?

Alastor15243

So I got the bright idea a while back to do a 2-generation run of Conquest where after Chapter 16 I get all of the children and then do the rest of the game with them, the avatar, and no one else. The problem, however, is that I'm racking my brain trying to find a method of support grinding the units I don't use (because obviously I'm not going to get everyone in the entire first generation up to S rank supports by chapter 17) that won't make me want to tear my own legs off in frustration. Considering that all of the DLC scales with level and the only DLC that lets you gain experience that could possibly let me keep my benched units up to speed is really, really annoying, I'm at a loss for how to actually make this run happen. Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by Alastor15243

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Considering that all of the DLC scales with level and the only DLC that lets you gain experience that could possibly let me keep my benched units up to speed is really, really annoying, I'm at a loss for how to actually make this run happen.

Why would you want to gain experience? Could you not simply play the 'Before Awakening' map over and over again to get enough support points to 'unlock' children and then use their paralogues to level-up?
I have never 'unlocked' more than a couple of children and I was planning to use the 'Before Awakening' DLC to recruit them earlier on my next campaign (I decided to play this one without DLC.)

1 minute ago, starburst said:

Why would you want to gain experience? Could you not simply play the 'Before Awakening' map over and over again to get enough support points to 'unlock' children and then use their paralogues to level-up?
I have never 'unlocked' more than a couple of children and I was planning to use the 'Before Awakening' DLC to recruit them earlier on my next campaign (I decided to play this one without DLC.)

The problem is that I have to either continuously grind up my benched units to keep them up to speed with my main army in order to be able to support grind on the DLC without the level scaling leaving them in the dust by the time chapter 17 comes around, or I have to find a bunch of my castles with appropriately leveled units for each individual benched member of my team in order to make it happen.

If you look at the highest visited/battled castles most of them have their units unequipped and stationary with no one on the throne (at least Australia/Europe are like this) - go whack them a few times then seize the throne.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

The problem is that I have to either continuously grind up my benched units to keep them up to speed with my main army in order to be able to support grind on the DLC without the level scaling leaving them in the dust by the time chapter 17 comes around, or I have to find a bunch of my castles with appropriately leveled units for each individual benched member of my team in order to make it happen.

I still do not get it, could you not recruit all children at their 'first' level (L10, I think)? Say, you could recruit Sophie, Ophelia, Nina, Percy, Kanna and Shigure all before Chapter 10, then level-up the children and some 'core' first generation characters to deal with Chapter 10 itself, and then recruit Midori right after Chapter 11, Soleil right after Chapter 12, and so on. As long as the parents can deal with the chosen DLC map(s), their children should be available after a couple of runs of that map.

I have beaten 'Before Awakening', 'Anna on the Run', 'Vanguard Dawn', 'Witches's Trial', all before Chapter 9 or 10 of Conquest Hard Classic. Granted, I was not planning an All-Second-Generation campaign like you, but I am just saying that those maps are not that difficult when played early.

41 minutes ago, starburst said:

I still do not get it, could you not recruit all children at their 'first' level (L10, I think)? Say, you could recruit Sophie, Ophelia, Nina, Percy, Kanna and Shigure all before Chapter 10, then level-up the children and some 'core' first generation characters to deal with Chapter 10 itself, and then recruit Midori right after Chapter 11, Soleil right after Chapter 12, and so on. As long as the parents can deal with the chosen DLC map(s), their children should be available after a couple of runs of that map.

I have beaten 'Before Awakening', 'Anna on the Run', 'Vanguard Dawn', 'Witches's Trial', all before Chapter 9 or 10 of Conquest Hard Classic. Granted, I was not planning an All-Second-Generation campaign like you, but I am just saying that those maps are not that difficult when played early.

Fair point. I was thinking that not everyone's spouse is available immediately, but if I use the last member of each pair I get immediately for the support grinding and have the weaker untrained first unit just be a pair up bot I suppose that could indeed work... 

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Fair point. I was thinking that not everyone's spouse is available immediately, but if I use the last member of each pair I get immediately for the support grinding and have the weaker untrained first unit just be a pair up bot I suppose that could indeed work... 

Again, I have never played a DLC map twice, but re-playing DLC maps various times should give you enough support points. It may be tiring, though.

Out of those maps, the trickiest (not necessarily more difficult) is 'Anna on the Run', because the Berserker hit really hard, even when played right after Chapter 8, and Anna may just decide to die before you can protect her.

'Vanguard Dawn' is rather funny when played early, because it is a pilgrimage of low-level enemies. Just watch out for the Apothecaries and you should be safe
Now that I think about it, this map may be better for support grinding than 'Before Awakening'. Is is certainly more entertaining.

Edited by starburst

• 3 weeks later...

Alastor15243, I just started a new campaign of Hard Conquest and I played DLC maps multiple times to recruit some children early in the game.

To be precise, after playing the 'Before Awakening' DLC four times right after Chapter 8, Silas & Mozu achieved S Support, female Corrin & Odin are at A, and Effie & Niles are at B. (I do not use Arthur or Jakob, but their sons are also available early.)

The 'Before Awakening' map takes between 6 and 8 turns to be completed (about six minutes), and it is relatively easy even if your characters are only around level 10.
Because the difficulty of the DLC maps is adjusted according to your progress in the main story (and not according to your Level), future replays of the DLC map are easier after the first Paralogue.

Sophie's Paralogue is easy early in the game (and gives tons of Experience), while getting all treasures in Ophelia's and Nina's is a bit trickier right after Chapter 8 (high mobility eases the former; Lunge, the latter.)

Ophelia and Sophie were first deployed in Chapter 10, and Nina in Chapter 11, where she got as much Experience as possible to be on a level with the rest of the party (basically killing everyone on the right side plus all Pegasus Knights.)

Edited by starburst