Do you want the Falchion back? (Poll)

WolfWind

Should the Falchion return in some fashion?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Falchion return in some fashion?

• Yes, the same one that Marth and Chrom used.
    • No, I would prefer something else.

I was just thinking about what kind of weapon the avatar might use in the upcoming game, and I wondered what people thought of the Falchion coming back. I would be fine with it returning.

Edited by WolfWind

42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's been in two of the past three games. I wasn't even on for Alm's sword being called the Falchion (although the remake justified it well) so bring on the variety.

I like referring to Alm's blade as the Kingsfang more than the Falchion. Hell, I wish that they just kept using the name they gave it. It would make it feel more unique.

As for the Falchion for Marth/Chrom, no. I would like something brand new. That goes for every game in the future unless it's a remake, sequel, or prequel to that continuity.

It played a major roll in 7 games and appeared in 8, I think it best to bury it like arkania in general.

if the next game uses the falchion again in any significant way, I will be very disappointed at the lack of originality.

I'd prefer something new, the Falchion most likely will make the next game be in Archanea/Valentia which has been kind of overused now considering the 7 games it's been on that world.

I'd prefer something like the Holy Weapons/Elibe Legendary Weapons at full power. That would be awesome but that's the kind of thing that destroys gameplay balance just for the flavor of having super OP weapons.

No. I know Kaga intended for every FE to have a Falchion, but Kaga isn't on the team anymore. Unless there's a really valid reason to why the Falchion came back, i'd rather just have it not come back.

NO. We've had it in three of the last four games (Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Echoes). All four if you count Marth's Amiibo in Fates. I'm tired of Archanea and Falchions, give us something else...

The Falchion was, alongside the Gradivus, planned to appear in every FE from what I heard, but this was long ago, before Jugdral. Although Falchion and Tyrfing look much alike, they are totally different weapons in practice. The Binding Blade is an blend of the Binding Shield and Falchion from a lore perspective, but it is ultimately not the Falchion.

I'd say no to bringing back the weapon. In Gaiden there being a Falchion made little sense, and its explanation in SoV for existing is tied into the questionable decision of making Mila and Duma Archanean dragons. Awakening brought back the original FE lord legendary blade for nostalgia's sake, which wasn't a bad thing given the game planned to be a farewell tribute to all of FE's history should the game failed and the franchise thus die.

IS should invent new magical swords of legend- or better yet make non-swords for the sake of more main hero diversity. 

And we don't need the magical blade to play that big a role in the game. The Tyrfing for all its amazing power does little of note, as does the Durandal in FE7, and even less is said and done of the Bragi Sword. There is nothing particularly special about the Sieglinde or its lance counterpart the Siegmund- it's just two Sacred Twins that just so happen to be locked to the main characters for their gameplay sake. The Ragnell is important being a sword used by Altina and twin to the BK's Alondite, but it isn't super powerful from a lore perspective like the Tyrfing, Falchion, and Binding Blade.

I mean, if a generic weapon just so happened to be called a falchion (which I doubt will happen), then sure. But, if it's the magical dragon slayer, then nope.

Not that I dislike the Falchion but I would like this new FE to be a clean slate of sorts. Not discarding things of the past but not focusing on them, either.

2 hours ago, WolfWind said:

I was just thinking about what kind of weapon the avatar might use in the upcoming game, and I wondered what people thought of the Falchion coming back. I would be fine with it returning.

What exactly do you mean by Falchion? Do you mean some legendary sword the main lord wields?

Honestly, I think Fire Emblem have made it a general stereotype that at least one of the lords in the game has to have a sword with a legendary version of it being there as well. So yes, no matter what people argue about, there will be some legendary sword belonging to the main lord, or at least one of if there are more than one.

In the context of this series' lore, there can be more than one Falchion, because Naga has them for TEETH. (well they're forged from her teeth, close enough). So if we get another Falchion, I'd rather it be a completely new Falchion. I just want an official map of Arkaneia, Valm, and Jugdral, maybe the new continent that the new Falchion is featured on.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Only if the game's protagonist is Anri or the First Exalt, since you can't do a game about them without reintroducing those weapons. Assuming the game is a new story in a new setting then no.

I'm tired of seeing the same Falchion (I BLAME WARRIORS), but I'm totally down for Anri since he's kickass. He pulled an Ike before it was cool.

Given the forum description outright states that the next FE game will be a new story, I'd say the Falchion's likely not going to come back save for in a non-canonical fashion.

Wow, I'm the only "yes" vote.

I like it when long running series like FE have certain details and iconography reappearing in different games, and the Falcion is an icon.

So, I would be absolutely fine seeing it return for the main lord. Even just a dragon fang, forged weapon by another dragon from Naga ala Warriors. Not having a Falchion expy is just a step short from removing the fire emblem itself from the plot of a game game called Fire Emblem.

4 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Wow, I'm the only "yes" vote.

I like it when long running series like FE have certain details and iconography reappearing in different games, and the Falcion is an icon.

So, I would be absolutely fine seeing it return for the main lord. Even just a dragon fang, forged weapon by another dragon from Naga ala Warriors. Not having a Falchion expy is just a step short from removing the fire emblem itself from the plot of a game game called Fire Emblem.

The only game that has had a Falchion exp without actually featuring the Falchion is Sword of Seals. Maybe Fates depending on how much weight you give to the Yato as a plot point. As someone else pointed out before, most games in the series have some powerful sword but as far as plot goes they're not critical or important and are basically just there for gameplay reasons. Also Jugdral basically didn't have a Fire Emblem.

18 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Only if the game's protagonist is Anri or the First Exalt, since you can't do a game about them without reintroducing those weapons. Assuming the game is a new story in a new setting then no.

More or less this. Or if it is somehow connected to Archanea, Valentia, or Awakening in some other way. To be fair, there are still questions about both such as what happens to Alm's Falchion or how Marth's power got sealed (I also like to imagine that Grima broke Falchion's original hilt which lead to the replacement which would make a good early game thing).

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Haha. Do it IS. DO IT!

I just tried to calculate the percentage of FE games that have a lord who uses swords, and it comes out to 100%(!). (additionaly, fe2, fe4, fe7, and arguably fe13 has more than one sword lord, while fe 7, fe8, and fe10 have a non-sword lord in addition to the sword one). This series REALLY needs some main character weapon variety. I think it no coincidence that Hector and Ephraim are so many people's favorite lords. That being said, i would not mind another sword lord if he has a nonstandard role like thief or dancer. Final fantasy 9 is a great example of a game that successfully mixes things up (from both a gameplay and character perspective) by having the hero be a thief. If/when we have another lord who is also an avatar, make their weapon either not a sword, malleable to be of any weapon type (or no weapon type, like the cards in fe10), or be of different weapon type depending on initial class or some other option during character creation (ask what your favored weapon is or something). Making the yato a sword made a lot of otherwise good builds sub-optimal. and resulted in exactly one decent staff-using build, which is birtright/revelation exclusive.

Edited by sirmola

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎23 at 8:12 PM, Glennstavos said:

Yeah; I agree. Only if the next game is about Anri or the First Exalt. Anything else; then no, I do not want to see the Falchion in the next FE game.

I would, however, like to see an actual falchion in FE at some point (as in the actual medieval single-edged sword that gets wider near the tip rather than narrower). That might be cool to see.