Why do you like Serenes Forest?

Ronnie

We're all members of this site. I'd say we take a moment to appreciate this site. So why do you keep coming back here? What do you like about this site?

I like having discussions with other gamers about random games. The users here are pretty humorous so I get a good laugh sometimes too. The community here is pretty tame and not obnoxious or cynical like other forums.

I am secretly a psychologist studying human behaviour both on and offline. I know where each of you live and in one of my other accounts here, I am actually a certain mod who con occasionally force users to reveal personal information about themselves.

I like Serenes because it's one of the few places I can act like myself without worrying about what others will think of me. I spend time here as opposed to spending time on FaceBook, where your every move affects your real-life worth and marriage prospects. It's a hard world for homeschoolers out there... but that doesn't matter here, because around here, everybody is weird!

1 hour ago, Sophie said:

I dunno

This honestly.

I find it more welcoming here than the Fire Emblem Reddit (the official one, the Heroes one is pretty funny when they're not a mine of salt). Here I can fanboy about Eirika without worrying about anything.

I get good feelings for simply helping people out. Despite it's recent rising popularity, a lot of Fire Emblem news/interviews/media does not come overseas in English, so it brings me great joy to assist there whenever possible. This is one of the few dedicated places to the series so it's the only forum I frequent.

I've heard bad things about other places (reddit, etc) hence why I mostly gravitate around here. xD

It's very informative and active. Main site has a steady stream of news being translated and covered by different editors. And the forum side is well moderated, albeit, we have a VINCEspiracy goin on! and I enjoy the discourse here. Because we don't have an upvote system, people aren't trying to be polarizing or karma whore as bad as other sites. And we generally experience less severe flare ups and due to having different categories, shitposts are put with other shitposts while debates and questions are pertained to their appropriate sections. than other sites. Although I do think quite a few of us are members on those other sites, like the Reddit.

It's just calmer here.

Fire Emblem is something I'm super passionate about, but nobody I know in person really cares about it. Here, I can nerd out about it as much as I want, and other people get to do the same, which is a blast. Plus, I've met a bunch of cool and fun people here, and it's great to come here and hang out with all of them, even when timezones limit that time somewhat.

The site is big enough to be active, but somehow mostly stays civil, and is not dominated by trolls and toxicity like many other communities, while still allowing a diversity of options and viewpoints. many if not most online communities are either hugboxes/echo chambers where everyone has the same viewpoint, or are so toxic that all reasonable people have left. SF is neither of those things, mostly because the moderation team keeps just heavy enough of a hand to avoid excessive toxicity, without going overboard and squelching dissent. A good example is the fact that zero effort romhacks get called out, but promising hacks recieve praise and support. At pokecomunity (the forum I tried before this one) on the other hand, all hacks are praised ("dark rising", which is full of maping errors, BS difficulty, and was made entirely using tools, won awards). As a result, many of the skilled hackers had left.

Edited by sirmola

I like that it's not GameFAQs/YouTube.

Seriously.

Those communities fucking suck.  Any community can take great solace in the fact that they aren't those communities.

I mean...

• I don't see people turning video games into needless socio-political battlegrounds like I do with every other post on GameFAQs
  • I've only seen one person attempt to bait people with trollish/controversial topics and flammatory remarks, and he was dealt with very swiftly by mods; heck, I don't even know if that person even is around anymore
  • Pertaining to FE specifically, I like that "waifubando talk" doesn't dominate conversations here; sure, sometimes folks talk about that, but for every "waifu" topic there is, there's at least ten more topics about something else
  • Disagreements are usually treated civilly; I've witness a couple of times when something went wrong and people wound up spanning a few pages in a heated argument with someone else, but generally people seem to treat one another's opinions with respect
  • Not gonna lie, this community has an amazing sense of humor; if you don't come to SF for the jokes and memes, you're really missing out

The only problem I have with SF is that sometimes people can take things too literally/seriously, or else somehow miss the point of what someone is saying.  I think that's just an issue with FE fans in general, and it can be worked around through clear articulation and clarification.

31 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Fire Emblem is something I'm super passionate about, but nobody I know in person really cares about it.

Same, tbh.

The funny thing is, my sister introduced me to FE, but I'm way more into it than her or a lot of her friends.

It doesn't stop me from yacking to my clueless brother for an hour or so about all the stupid plot points of Revelation or how the same lady who voices a few characters in Fallout: New Vegas (a game he actually has played) also voices Lucina from Awakening and Isara Gunther from Valkyria Chronicles...

It's a lot more fun to talk about the series with people who are also really into it.

4 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

The only problem I have with SF is that sometimes people can take things too literally/seriously, or else somehow miss the point of what someone is saying.  I think that's just an issue with FE fans in general, and it can be worked around through clear articulation and clarification.

I think it's an issue with the internet in general. It's a whole lot harder to understand what people are saying when it's in writing. Our petty emoticons don't carry the same force as actual voice tone. But funnily enough, most of the people who have the highest opinion of me have never heard me speak. So I wonder if it's a blessing rather than a curse.

I don’t like it lmao, I hate SF, I hate FE, I hate you, I hate me, I hate life, I hate Earth, I hate the universe, and I hate yellow.

I do love Genny though.

Edited by Gebby

At first it was mainly due to the resources here, then I'd figured hey why not join in, and then I've stuck around due to my former FE chat not working out so well (won't go into detail but drama happened that never got resolved and I left) and tbh, seeing the interesting topics and all has kept me entertained.

Plus who doesn't love swimming in all the salt that occasionally is on here