Gamestop, why can't you get it right?

Ronnie

I bought 4 games online 2 days ago since they had a sale. I bought them all brand new. They shipped them separately and I got 2 of my Wii U games in the mail. I get Paper Mario brand new, factory sealed and everything. I pull out Tokyo Mirage Sessions and it's a gutted copy. Brand new means factory sealed. Once the seal is gone, it ain't new, it's used. Gonna need to ask them for a replacement cause it's ridiculous that they still sell opened games as "new."

tl;dr A rant about Gamestop selling opened "new" games.

There was one instance where GS messed up bad (one way or another), but it ended up working out for me in the end:

So I pre-ordered the FE14 SE long after pre-orders were first available (don't remember exactly when but it was a month or two before release). Naturally, with how fast it goes out of stock, I was a bit skeptical that I actually secured a copy for myself, but I rolled with it. Fast forward to release day, I go to GS, and the worker there told me my pre-order got canceled and I should've gotten a phone call about it (I didn't). The worker offered me a physical copy of both Birthright and Conquest with a code for Revelations for the same price, but I was too irritated to actually buy anything, and left. An hour later, I went back to the same GS to take up on that offer since I'm a sucker for physical products. There was a different employee there, and I started telling him, "So I pre-ordered the Special Edition..." and he just pulled up a copy of the SE, which I then bought.

It occurred to me later that that copy may not have been meant for me, but I already opened everything and played the game, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Not sure if I should be glad I got the SE at all or guilty that I might've gotten another person's pre-order.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, i always hear people's bad experiences with GameStop, yet i've never once had an issue with them. 

And I always hear that it varies from location to location.

Some locations will press you extremely hard into buying used games, and they'll sometimes even resort to straight up lying to you about getting you a "new" copy.

Others only do the standard interactions, telling you about their rewards system, asking if you want to pre-order any games, and asking only once if you want to buy the game used.

One thing I'll say is that I heard from someone who worked there that the higher ups had instilled a certain quota system for all their employees (at least here in my area); basically, everyone needs to make a certain amount of sales, and the same values apply for every employee, from newbies to vets, and part-time seasonal greeters to full-time register workers.  I think it's particularly the latter part that was unique to GameStop and was problematic; I never worked retail, so I don't know how any of it works.  And they also apparently offer incentives for employees who are able to get customers to sell used copies.

I suppose how pleasant the stores are depends on how each individual manager decides to deal with that situation.  At my store (which is in the local mall), the employees will sometimes "share" their sales numbers with employees at a disadvantage, and it doesn't seem like folks have a particularly bad experience there.  The former employee I mentioned also personally knows the manager; it helps that the gamers of my town are fairly close-knit.  I myself never really had bad experiences there, but I mostly just buy money cards because A) I buy a lot of DLC and Steam games and B) I'm kind of opposed to buying actual games from GameStop for a few reasons.

They've never done anything bad to me really. The closest things were A. Saying that they were out of Echoes SE pre-orders, then I immediately went online and pre-ordered it online (I now different stock and all between in-store and online, I still think an in-store pre-order should be considered more then an online one, but I know that some people can't go to the store so it's really just a giant mess in my eyes) and B. Messing with me for five seconds when I had pre-ordered my Roy amiibo and went to pick up, the guy at the counter told me they didn't have any of him before another employee told him to stop messing around and he gave me my Roy. Otherwise they've all been the usual with occasional nice people there.

I don't order online from them because I ordered the TMS#FE SE from them but the game did not work and I had to go to the store and get a replacement they did replace it though.  My local stores are great and I have never had a problem in store, but I won't order online.  It helps that the managers of the two GameStops I go to remember me since I am one of the few blonde white girls that shop at their stores regularly :)

Edited by EricaofRenais

Sucks that that happened. I live closeby near one, so I usually just buy it in the store. That way I can check the quality right there.

At least they have a week warranty. 

Honestly, I have heard enough horrer stories (and dislike the in-store environment enough)  that I go out of my way to patronise my local indy game store (World 8 in Los Angeles), even though game stop is closer (it requires riding a bus/walking half a mile from  a subway station that has a gamestop in literaly the same building as the station exit.) For non-gamestop options in NYC, try J&L games (in midtown), and the Nintendo World store in the Rockefeller Center. There are also other game stores in NYC, but they are either shady (I have been pitched fake Pokemon games by a shop in Washington Heights which no longer exists), expensive, or i have never been to them.

Edited by sirmola

23 minutes ago, sirmola said:

Honestly, I have heard enough horrer stories (and dislike the in-store environment enough)  that I go out of my way to patronise my local indy game store (World 8 in Los Angeles), even though game stop is closer (it requires riding a bus/walking half a mile from  a subway station that has a gamestop in literaly the same building as the station exit.) For non-gamestop options in NYC, try J&L games (in midtown), and the Nintendo World store in the Rockefeller Center. There are also other game stores in NYC, but they are either shady (I have been pitched fake Pokemon games by a shop in Washington Heights which no longer exists), expensive, or i have never been to them.

Lol thanks for the concern. I've been to J&L (pretty cool but they keep putting their stickers on everything used) and Videogamesnewyork (which is my preferred in-person store).

I rarely buy from Gamestop. They just had an alluring Black Friday sale. I almost always buy my games from eBay or use my Prime pre-order discount for Amazon.

Sorry to hear that. It gives me a little impression of Gamestop's shipping.  

Actually I only sell stuff to Gamestop to charge my account to buy Steam or PS Store cards. I find Gamestop rather expensive. The only good deals were both Tellius parts. Otherwise I could find games and consoles more favorable elsewhere.

In general when I order games online, then Amazon. And so far I have only positive experience.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but circa 10-15 years ago when I regularly bought games at GameStop, they would keep the empty boxes on the shelf, and you would bring the actual disks out of their vault or whatever and put it into the case for you.  I guess it was to prevent people from stealing them, probably.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:58 PM, Rezzy said:

I'm not sure if they still do it, but circa 10-15 years ago when I regularly bought games at GameStop, they would keep the empty boxes on the shelf, and you would bring the actual disks out of their vault or whatever and put it into the case for you.  I guess it was to prevent people from stealing them, probably.

They still do that. They even have the nerve to still do that when the case has a sticker that says "NEW" on it. Yeah sure, "new."

It makes sense with the used copies though and that's fine with me.