Nonviolent Xbox One games for a Deaf Friend

sirmola

A deaf/learning disabled friend of mine just bought an xbox one at a black friday sale. Knowing I am into gaming (she is not), she asked for game recomendations. THey need to meet the following criteria:

1. Must be playable by a deaf person: No games where audio cues are essential (unless they have some sort of accessability option, such as minecraft's footstep subtitles).

2. Must be nonviolent and appropriate: Her mom specified this one. So any FPS is out, and Rare Replayis out, due to conker. I would guess that slight amounts of fantisy violence is okay, though.

3. No microtransactions/lootboxes. She has a learning disability. I am keeping her a mile away from anything that might be considered to prey on anyone's mental state.

4. I did not ask, but I don't think here mom wants to pay for online.

Note that she has no genre preferences yet, and is fine with buying older games, as long as they are fun. Even the xbox backwards compatable titles would probably be okay

Edited by sirmola

Oblivion.

I don’t think deafness would be an issue, as you have map markers and whatnot, as well as subtitles and the crosshairs telling you when you’ve been detected while sneaking.

There is violence, but the blood is honestly just pretty much ketchup, there’s no decapitations like Skyrim features, and there’s no nudity either. The game is rated Mature, but that’s due solely to nudity mods ONLY ACCESSIBLE ON A PC THAT CANNOT BE USED ON XBOX. STRESS THIS POINT.

Oblivion is entirely offline and single player.

The only issue I could think of would be finding a copy, as it’s a 360 game, but it shouldn’t be too difficult, and it IS backwards compatible with Xbone.

"nonviolent and appropriate"? That alone removes, like, 50% of games. Her mom might as well have said "and you're not allowed to have fun, either".
These are all from Wikipedia's list of Xbox One games, so if there's any backwards compatibility or XBLA, I don't know about it.

I can't confirm that all of these are of good quality AND deaf friendly AND child appropriate, but this list should be narrow enough.

Spoiler

Abzû
Stardew Valley
Slime Rancher
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2
Pix the Cat
Gear Gauntlet
Snake Pass
Rocket League
Trials Fusion
SteamWorld Dig
Ori and the Blind Forest
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Champion Edition
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Ittle Dew 2
Ōkami
Rayman Legends
Tembo the Badass Elephant
Sonic Mania
A Hat in Time
De Blob
Speedrunners
Lethal League
Divekick: Addition Edition +

17 minutes ago, Zera said:

"nonviolent and appropriate"? That alone removes, like, 50% of games. Her mom might as well have said "and you're not allowed to have fun, either".
These are all from Wikipedia's list of Xbox One games, so if there's any backwards compatibility or XBLA, I don't know about it.

Word. In all honesty, a Switch would've been a better choice.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I thought so to, but was presented with a fait acompli, as it were.

9 hours ago, Gebby said:

Oblivion.

I don’t think deafness would be an issue, as you have map markers and whatnot, as well as subtitles and the crosshairs telling you when you’ve been detected while sneaking.

There is violence, but the blood is honestly just pretty much ketchup, there’s no decapitations like Skyrim features, and there’s no nudity either. The game is rated Mature, but that’s due solely to nudity mods ONLY ACCESSIBLE ON A PC THAT CANNOT BE USED ON XBOX. STRESS THIS POINT.

Oblivion is entirely offline and single player.

The only issue I could think of would be finding a copy, as it’s a 360 game, but it shouldn’t be too difficult, and it IS backwards compatible with Xbone.

Dude, Oblivious has a ton of zombies with rather realistic graphics, skeletons, corpse and blood all over the place. The hell dimension has ton of gory torture cells which implied a lot of horrible things happened. The quests included murdering for hire, killing a whole house of people without being founded, doing prank with mad god, village of cannibal people, checking on a vampire count and a lot of other mature contents.

Edited by Magical CC

8 hours ago, Magical CC said:

Dude, Oblivious has a ton of zombies with rather realistic graphics, skeletons, corpse and blood all over the place. The hell dimension has ton of gory torture cells which implied a lot of horrible things happened. The quests included murdering for hire, killing a whole house of people without being founded, doing prank with mad god, village of cannibal people, checking on a vampire count and a lot of other mature contents.

You make it sound a lot worse than it is. See, Oblivion's graphics haven't...aged very well, there's nothing realistic about them. The blood is very cartoonish, and there's no excessive gore, even in the Oblivion gates. Yes, there are quests focused around killing, but not only are these entirely optional, but death and blood are, once again, very unrealistic. 

8 hours ago, Zera said:

I haven't played Oblivion, but while it was originally rated T, the ESRB later bumped it to M.

This is correct. The cause of the change was an uproar due to a PC mod that introduced topless females into the game, and is a very bad reflection of the game itself.

Honestly, unless your friend is young or has the maturity of a six year old, or the mother is hypersensitive, there's nothing this game can present that should be too much for her.

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Agreed. As I am not allowed to play violent video games, I only have a few games on my PS4 and most games on my 3DS. Nintendo products really offer more -nonviolent- and still enjoyable games...

Edited by Christactics

10 hours ago, Gebby said:

You make it sound a lot worse than it is. See, Oblivion's graphics haven't...aged very well, there's nothing realistic about them. The blood is very cartoonish, and there's no excessive gore, even in the Oblivion gates. Yes, there are quests focused around killing, but not only are these entirely optional, but death and blood are, once again, very unrealistic.

It doesnt matter, mature content is mature content.

13 hours ago, Magical CC said:

It doesnt matter, mature content is mature content.

Fantastic. Now if only there were actually mature content and the game wasn't given its rating for reasons outside of the developer's control.

4 hours ago, Gebby said:

Fantastic. Now if only there were actually mature content and the game wasn't given its rating for reasons outside of the developer's control.

It may not be graphic/scary FOR YOU.  But we're talking about someone whose mom specified no violence.  Thus, it would probably be too much for her, just as original DOOM's decapitated heads were too much for my ten-year-old self.

Now, then. . .The Sims is available, but I'd check with her mom first.  You can do some pretty messed-up things in that game.