Possible revamp for weapon rank sysem

TheSS

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

So...Promoted units are stronger than unpromoted units? Is that a problem? I do suppose it causes an even greater power spike than usual, though. That is a legitimate concern that would need to be balanced around.

That is a major concern indeed - you have freshly promoted units that are at least almost as good at a certain weapon type as the units that should specialize in said weapon type. That sounds like a major balance issue to me.

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

Game Design>Realism. Honestly, I don't really see how this should be relevant. 

And I consider this questionable game design at best - it'd be a complete disaster at worst.

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

Yeah, Seths and Sigurds aren't great game design. Jeigans work because they are something you grow out of. But that's gonna be bad game design regardless of what weapon rank system is in play. 

Also, someone said something earlier implying that FE4 had the same system as Gaiden, which doesn't seem to be true. It actually seems to be a lot more like mine. So what exactly were the issues with it? Besides the game not being well balanced around it?

I would say this is more the fault of the weak enemies (and in the case of Sigurd, his getting a holy weapon eventually).

Genealogy didn't have the same weapon system as Gaiden (note that Gaiden is very different from other FEs). And I wouldn't say that its system was a lot like yours - I would say that your system IS FE4's system. Anyway, it impaired certain units (thieves, mages, and mounted units, though mounts are seen as superior anyway, but that's neither here nor there).

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

I said physical to mage, but it also applies in sword to lance or axe to bow. And I personally always felt like I was hampering myself when I opted for the new E rank weapon. It felt like a huge step back. 

Because you have a serious case of tunnel vision - just look at FE7, for example. Swords are generally considered the worst weapon type because most enemies use lances, thus suffering WTD often. Knowing this, I am not going to be sticking it out with swords when I'm disadvantaged more often than not, if I had a choice. And in Shadow Dragon onward, WTA is important to strip the enemy of their weapon rank bonus (e.g. A swordmaster with A swords would have 3 extra attack on top of their attack. If they face a lance, they're down 3 attack points, which can be a big difference).

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

Yeah, I do agree that this is good game design, but I fail to see its relevance to the argument. 

Maybe it's not that relevant, but still, it shows that having a high weapon rank isn't that big a deal.

4 hours ago, TheSS said:

Making a mountain out of a molehill? I'm expressing my distaste for a series tradition that consistently makes the game less fun for me and suggesting an alternative that fixes the problems inherent in it. And you just assume that an insignificant number of people are affected by these problems? Like, 5 different people have responded to this thread, and one of them agreed with me. Sure, it's not a majority, but clearly some significant number of people are consciously bothered by this mechanic, which makes it worth taking a closer look at. 

You're getting ahead of yourself here if you think a "significant number of people" are bothered by this... You're just trying to deny that your stance is a niche opinion. Just look at the results from that poll - the results you yourself happened to post. Almost everyone doesn't see the merits of what you are trying to suggest as being clearly better than what we have now. And I refuse to back an alternative that can be best described as regression.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, UNLEASH IT said:

I don't mind the current system. Just don't start me at E rank when I promote/reclass. 

This, sort-of.  Maybe they could just use (Floor (Highest Current Weapon Rank), C), instead?

That being said, I don't really like that units can reclass prior to their first promotion at all, and I also don't think that reclassing should automatically put the unit into the promoted versions of the class set they're switching to (I think they should go into the un-promoted base class, and that the game should keep watch on what class sets for which each unit's used promotion seals).  Also, character level should be independent of class, but if that's combined with the previous points, then IS would need to introduce a different rubric through which to determine whether the unit's ready for promoting again, and I'm betting that'd irritate most players, so the current setup is acceptable.