Side character ideas

TheSS

7 hours ago, MetalAmethyst said:

1. Mage lord, huh? That would be cool.

4. An old crone that acts like everyone's salty grandma? That would be hilarious!

Granny could be a Witch training the lord character. She's highly ranked and powerful enough that she gets away with saying things in front of nobility that could get a less respected person straight to the gallows. Also probably had a relationship with old royalty, but that's an long forgotten scandal mostly.

Everyone loves her and she makes killer cookies but tends to get entirely too real™ when someone comes to her for advice.

One of her crit quotes is, "I'm not sad, just disappointed." 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Granny could be a Witch training the lord character. She's highly ranked and powerful enough that she gets away with saying things in front of nobility that could get a less respected person straight to the gallows. Also probably had a relationship with old royalty, but that's an long forgotten scandal mostly.

Everyone loves her and she makes killer cookies but tends to get entirely too real™ when someone comes to her for advice.

At first I thought "hilarious", now I'm even more on board with your idea!

16 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Anyway, a full on mage lord.

A theif character with deeply rooted regrets of the life they lead as one that joined the army to start anew.

A male Manakete. Or better yet another manakete that doesn't look too young to drink.

A mentor figure that's a grizzled, old crone that acts like everyone's salty grandma.

1. A mage lord? Sounds interesting:

Perhaps he is a frail young lord character who, if nobility, is the younger son in that noble household. He is frail and sickly; especially compared to his older brother, who is both strong and a skilled swordsman. He is ridiculed by some nobles for his "weakness", while others are just amazed that he's managed to survive. To compensate for not being strong physically, he naturally became a mage instead. When war comes, it looks like their father will die and his brother will be the main FE lord. But then, plot twist: the older brother is the one that dies, leaving him as the reluctant heir. His in-game stats could reflect this, with his strength and HP being almost abysmally small, even for a mage character.

2. That thief character idea sounds really cool:

Perhaps this character was a reluctant criminal who ended up sentenced to execution. Then war came before he could be executed, and he was given a choice: continue with his execution, or join the army as part of a group known for high risk of dying in battle; but, at the same time, his family (if he has any) not only can be sent some of his earnings as a soldier, but also gets monetary compensation if he dies in battle. He naturally chose the latter, if only so his family (if he has any) would have enough money to eat, and wouldn't have to suffer the societal shaming that would've happened if he had died a criminal. This means that he doesn't fear death, but, perhaps at one point in the story, comes close to embracing it. The lord character then snaps him out of it by telling him, "Survive the war, and I'll make sure you're pardoned. You can go home to your family (if he has any) as a free man." 

3. Yeah; a manakete that isn't another physically-nine-year-old girl would be nice. 

4. I have no idea what you mean by "salty"; is that slang? 

I came up with a few more ideas, and I'm using the same format. The only thing I have of note is that the half-joking, half-serious section is now just half-serious, as some of my suggestions decidedly aren't that humorous. So without further ado...

Serious:

• A cynical Pegasus Rider who hates the series trope/cliche of pegasus knights either being there as a love interest for the lord and/or for an unrequited love scenario that she's called off romance altogether. They would also be a cold observer of the series tropes and cliches in general (similar to Kreia from KOTOR 2).
  • A general that was revenge-thirsty in their youth from a previous conflict they were in
  • A cavalier with great skill on the battle field, but goes to great lengths to keep an otherwise career-ending injury hidden.
  • A hero unit who repeatedly proves themselves to be a one-man army, yet remains modest and humble, and has an idealistic yet grounded personality, who knows that the world isn't perfect, yet there is still good in it. You may have to choose between using them during a hard chapter, or allowing them to handle a conflict elsewhere, which both affects the story as well as the rewards you may earn afterwards.
  • If griffon riders appear, I would expect bravery to be their defining trait, but have it differ on how its shown:
    • One griffon rider would be jocular, enthusiastic, and loyal and would never leave their leaders side, but would still observe and point out some realities about how the acts of courage and cowardliness play out in war. They could provide some fun stories about the misadventures of taming and training griffons 
    • Another would be quiet and reserved, with more passive hobbies, but in the heat of battle, they would show why they are worthy of riding the proud griffons.
    • An enemy griffon rider may show how bravery can be mistaken for recklessness or foolishness, either making rash decisions that would bring supposed glory, or refusing to surrender and leading their squad/regiment/group into a senseless sacrifice.
  • Two mage brothers with great magical capabilities. The younger one at first appear to be the "obnoxious tagalong kid trope,"  but would soon prove themself to be a very powerful with a deep knowledge of magic of have great overall intelligence and maturity. The older brother would be a dark mage who is very conscious of the dangers of dark magic, yet also knows how to use it wisely, and avoids most of the cliches often applied to dark magic users in general.
  • A thief who isn't really malicious, or even a criminal. He or she is just really good at stealth, and was forced into the role. They would comment on their situation constantly, with character development changing their tone and view of their role throughout the story.
  • A thief who remains professional, even in direct combat. He or she would never actually kill another human being (undead or monsters may or may not be fair game) and instead only knocks them out or captures them, and may have a personal skill (if those return) to bring back additional cash after each battle just for fielding him/her.
  • A thief who insists that he/she is the "rouge" character from DnD games. They would go through character development to become less whiny, realize that doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is still an undesirable way to operate, and would overall grow into a more heroic role.
  • A trainee unit who is an old (wo)man, with surprisingly good growths to boot.
  • A blacksmith, alchemist, and merchant in the players party to act as a moveable forge, shop, and convoy, and each of them would have different reasons for joining you.
  • Make it appear that the right-hand man of the main bad guy is planning to betray their master sometime soon in the story, but when the moment actually arrives and the players party is at the final battle (of the arc, anyway), they would instead sincerely fight to defend their leader (whether or not they were really going to backstab the big bad, and/or they have a larger plan underfoot, would be revealed later).
  • More love-to-hate antagonists, alongside very reasonable and heroic ones, rather than one-note bosses we tend to get.
  • Have a few archetypes generally reserved for player units aplly to the enemy forces. They will have a Cain and Able pair, the enemy commander will have a Jeigan by his side, they may have an Est unit (who starts out weak, but only appears on maps that aren't 'rout the enemy,' so every time they survive the fight, they grow stronger), etc.

Half-Serious:

• A powerful masked man that appears multiple times in the story working both for and against both sides, making it seem as if he has his own agenda. Except when he's unmasked it turns out he's completely insane (or he could be faking it, and really be the smartest character in the series).
  • A Boba-Fett type character.
  • A mage unit who acts like a snake oil salesman or a trickster and specializes in seemingly useless magic, such as potions that instantly grow's beards, to spells that add cloths to their opponents, to chants that cause the weapons of both sides to refuse to fight for a certain amount of time. They would be intentionally gimmicky gameplaywise (though not annoyingly), with erratic effects on the battle with varying degree's of usefulness, such as forcing every unit to use only their stats to fight, or temporarily turning all weapons into sticks and logs, to forcing a unit to stay in place, drastically increasing their defense but ruining their speed and avoidance, or temporarily turning a friend or foe into an animal. These affects, and more, would also carry over into supports, which could lead to some very creative and hilarious conversations.
  • Less of a character, and more of a trait, but someone, most likely a trainee unit, who tries to plant their sword in the ground after winning a fight like Ike or Chrom... only for their weapon to get stuck, bounce off the surface, or simply fall over.
  • Empathetic and/or talking weapons could be interesting to see.
    • This is more of a gameplay idea than a character one, but I would like two see two types of weapons that work based on a units level. A 'teachers blade' would have 21-the units level to determine their might, and another blade where their might is the units level.
  • A person with black armor who seems like he's going to be the game's Black Knight, only for their personality to be vastly different from the standard trope expectations, and for it to be revealed that their armor is painted black only to reduce maintenance (and also to avoid alliances).
  • A cavalier/knight who never takes their armor off, no matter the situation. They would alternate between being cool, petty and terrifying. Their dedication to battle and the look of their armor would cool, but their refusal to remove their armor for menial tasks would appear childish, while they would be terrifying for why they wear armor 24/7 and how they care for little more than winning the fight.
  • A mute bard (Link) could be interesting.

For Fun:

• A guy (or gal) who thinks they're the protagonist of a shonen anime, and thus will try to (affectionately) invoke every cliche/trope they can think of.
  • A (loving/deconstructive) parody of the many one-note characters we've had in the series.
  • Bonus units based on Nintendo/IS staff could be cool, if it was kept in check.

6 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  • A cynical Pegasus Rider who hates the series trope/cliche of pegasus knights either being there as a love interest for the lord and/or for an unrequited love scenario that she's called off romance altogether. They would also be a cold observer of the series tropes and cliches in general (similar to Kreia from KOTOR 2).
  • A trainee unit who is an old (wo)man, with surprisingly good growths to boot.

• This would mean she'd already have to have some kind of awareness of the series' tendency towards Pegasus Riders as love interests.  Maybe the Lord character's kingdom has a tradition of its princes marrying distinguished soldiers from its air force (could include pegasi or wyverns).  Either that or the Lord character just has a pegasus rider fetish.
  • I came up with a similar idea of an elderly, Don Quixote-esque early-game Cavalier with super-high growths as a subversion of the typical Jagen character.

In terms of Pegasus knights...Since we are talking about them, how about a Pegasus knight (most likely female to make this even more ironic, I believe the word is) with high base speed, but high defense, res, and hp growths, so that they are essentially a tank instead of the typical glass cannon/ferry unit/chip unit?)

6 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

In terms of Pegasus knights...Since we are talking about them, how about a Pegasus knight (most likely female to make this even more ironic, I believe the word is) with high base speed, but high defense, res, and hp growths, so that they are essentially a tank instead of the typical glass cannon/ferry unit/chip unit?)

I believe you mean low Speed?

More unusually-built Pegasus Rider characters would be nice.  I came up with one focused on Strength, Defense, and Constitution over Skill, Speed, and Resistance.  She was a plus-sized Pegasus Rider in training who showed great potential, but left her assigned unit to join the protagonists' army after being bullied by her squad mates for not fitting the slim, graceful image they desired.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

This would mean she'd already have to have some kind of awareness of the series' tendency towards Pegasus Riders as love interests.  Maybe the Lord character's kingdom has a tradition of its princes marrying distinguished soldiers from its air force (could include pegasi or wyverns).  Either that or the Lord character just has a pegasus rider fetish.

Or it could be that she's seen and disliked how most of the myths and legends seemed to focus more romance aspect on their character rather than the deeds they actually accomplished in battle, and after seeing that this has some basis of truth in reality, as well as analyzing the more stupid and foolish aspects of romance either through secondhand experience or through reading stories, has caused her to be so disillusioned that she calls off romance altogether. As I said, I want being able to a cold observer of cliches in general, and would deconstruct most aspects of Fire Emblem in general. There's a reason I compared this character to Kreia, as in her own game, Kreia largely observes, analyses, and deconstructs how the force works in the Star Wars universe, being very critical as to how the force seems to alternate between giving both the jedi and sith of the  the upper-hand, which leads to large scale destruction and death on all sides, as well as how reliant the Jedi are on using the force. The game itself does a good job at deconstructing not only the morality of Stars Wars in general (the game deals with the aftermath of a war, and is also the darkest thing in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, period, with gray morality abounding), but also RPG's as a whole (how morbid scavenging loot from a corpse would be is brought up, as well as the question of why you get stronger from killing enemies). However, something else that is important about her character is that, though she is very wise and brings up some very sound and very strong arguments, is that the more you play the game, the less her views seem absolute, and while you can never refute her arguments, you CAN counter them.

I just wrote two or three paragraphs about a video game character we may never see, haven't I? I swear that I subconsciously joined Serenes Forest just to keep my writing ability sharp.

1 hour ago, Bhoop said:

I think you're talking about Wyvern riders? But I do agree, having a bulkier Pegasus knight would be an interesting change of pace, as long as they also serve their original role to a degree (I want a Pegasus knight who can take a hit and double the enemy, not a flying tank!).

13 hours ago, Altrosa said:

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  •  
  • I came up with a similar idea of an elderly, Don Quixote-esque early-game Cavalier with super-high growths as a subversion of the typical Jagen character.

We honestly need more elderly characters that aren't Jeigens in the Fire Emblem. It allows for a more diverse cast, and some interesting relationships and conversations can be had between the youngsters and those who have been around the corner a few times. There is a lot of topic matter that could be brought up, such as traditionalism vs. progressivism, how society causes a problem for every one it fixes, how history both changes and repeats, and the pros and cons of growing older. Besides, there are a lot of fun personalities that they can use. From the grandparents who smother us with love, to those who play the team mom, to the cranky yet lovable old hags, to the ones that are just cranky. Is could add both a ton of fun and a lot of depth simply by adding these characters and by writing them well.

One of my favorite characters from the Wing Commander series is Paladin, who's the oldest fighter pilot you can partner with in the first game. Both his AI and character focus on making sure that everyone gets out alive, and making sure that his partners earn there kills on their own. He knows that he's done his service and made his mark, and is close to retiring, so he makes sure that everyone gets out alive, and lets the younger pilots start their own careers, and is overall among the most reliable pilots in the game, and even has a side nickname of "mother hen". Even after retiring, he still helps the protagonist both through moral and political support support whenever he can. I would very much like to see this kind of character in Fire Emblem, regardless of their archetype.

We also need more Don Quixote characters. Not only in Fire Emblem, but in general.

I would like a dancer to be similar to Diao Chan- she's employed at the enemy kingdom, however, she really has a secret plan of revenge, and plans to turn the heir/young commander against his kingdom. She may have secret ties with someone from your faction.

Or maybe a comical guy that uses jokes to cope with the fact that he's in war. He didn't want to be a soldier but his family forced him to be.

A Navarre-type character, except she's female and not a man. She's a no-nonsense kind of girl, but does have a softness towards younger characters.

An armor knight who doesn't want to be one. When he was training, he was told to become one because of his size, but he secretly harbors a fascination with magic.

A haughty mage that used his wind magic for trivial tasks and decided to go on war to increase his pride. But little does he know about the reality of war, and he'll grow a lot (mentally) over the course of the game.

Joke:

A male character named Reyn (maybe a mercenary) that shouts "It's REYN TIME" when he crits. get hyped for XB2

• A female axe lord. A little similar to Hector in that she's really good at smashing stuff in battle and excels in doing so, but she would be a lot more dignified as befitting her royal status. Would be really good at military tactics but terrible at diplomacy. Actually brought this character up in an older thread for protagonist ideas.
  • A person with an eye patch. Seriously. They can be a man or a woman, but they need to have an eye patch. Bonus points if the character is the pompous captain of a pirate crew that hounds the party like Team Rocket before being forced to join out of necessity. Double bonus points if they speak with an accent. Triple points if the accent is a cliche pirate one.
  • An overconfident lord of some allied nation that looks like a young teenager but is actually in their thirties. Is quite the capable diplomat and host for formal gatherings but can act like a petulant child when they think they have been slighted against. Yes, I know this is a pitfall for a common trope, but I like these kind of characters should they be done correctly. And, no, this character wouldn't be for romance.
  • A non-loli manakete or dragon character. I'll take another girl as long as she isn't a kid, but I would prefer a dude this time around.
  • A male refresher unit. Like, just some buff dude that loves singing or playing a harp and sucks at direct combat, so he aids his comrades by doing what's he's good at.

I can't think of more characters.

2 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

An overconfident lord of some allied nation that looks like a young teenager but is actually in their thirties. Is quite the capable diplomat and host for formal gatherings but can act like a petulant child when they think they have been slighted against. Yes, I know this is a pitfall for a common trope, but I like these kind of characters should they be done correctly. And, no, this character wouldn't be for romance.

Forgive me if I sound horribly ignorant, but how would this character be used for romance?

16 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

4. I have no idea what you mean by "salty"; is that slang? 

Salty is slang for easily and openly aggravated over trivial things, but mildly. In the context of Granny here, having an attitude of "these darn kids!" 

Your mage lord concept is pretty much exactly what I was thinking, though I think a glassy defense unit would be a bit hardcore for the one we are forced to deploy.

I think a male refresher is guaranteed after how well received Inigo's and Shigure's performance festival units in Heroes are, especially Inigo. (Though I personally prefer Shigure.)

I came up with a few more.

A beast unit that's different from the rest, like a flyer or a healer one. I think Tellius had a laguz variant that looked like angels that might be close to this?

Another really buff chick like Rinkah, but with more favorable stats per her job. Triceps for days. I think Rinkah was a great character that fell to the side as she was considered a mediocre unit despite being the main axe user of Hoshido. 

An Anna that just really sucks as a sales woman, and is badly embarassed by this. Maybe she has anxiety or really bad shop instincts or just doesn't like her family's obsession with money, but she joined the army cause Anna has to eat either way. She could a left-field class, too, like maybe she's the red cav.

4 hours ago, Altrosa said:

An Anna that just really sucks as a sales woman, and is badly embarassed by this. Maybe she has anxiety or really bad shop instincts or just doesn't like her family's obsession with money, but she joined the army cause Anna has to eat either way. She could a left-field class, too, like maybe she's the red cav.

It is never specified how old each Anna is...That is something that I would love to see, and pay too. 

Looking back, when putting out my own ideas, I skimmed over some pretty good ones that others have brought up. I think later today I'll give my own comments on many of them, but considering that both my posts took two hours to write, I'm going to wait until I have more free time on my hands.

Anyway, this is probably going to be the last time I add ideas to the topic. And admittedly they aren't entirely my own, but I always thought that the "Claimant and Ruler" situations in Mount and Blade could work very well in a Fire Emblem game. There's always a preset ruler to each kingdom, and a claimant to the throne, with both characters having their own balanced reasonings for why they should be in charge, with the player ultimately deciding which side to support. You can check out the tv trope page here, but as for the ones I think would work best in a Fire Emblem game:

(A few notes beforehand. 1. I haven't played the game enough to see every single conflict, so I have to go of TV Tropes and secondhand knowledge here to fill in the details. 2. Some details were added by me to insert more drama and grayness to the conflict. 3. As I said earlier, these are not my own ideas. They came from the game Mount and Blade. I just think they would work especially well in a Fire Emblem game. One can have similar ideas while still being unique from one another.)

• In a warrior nation, the claimant is a scholar who wishes to guide the nation towards more scientific activities, making sure the nation is balanced in both strength and intelligence. However, the current king disposed of him by claiming that their nation needs to be lead only by strong warriors. However, said king is a very reasonable leader, willing to listen to ideas that are not his own, and he takes criticism gracefully. We's also willing to listen to even lowly mercenaries if they prove their martial prowess. The claimant has all the virtues (and flaws) of a character who you'd expect to rely more on intellect and tactics than simple strength, although he is a fine warrior in his own right/way.
  • When the king died, it left two (half-)brothers in line for the throne. Knowing that the inheritance laws of the nation would inevitably lead to an unneeded and most likely bloody civil war, one of the brothers declares himself king while the other is out defending the border, partially because he believes that he's the better ruler of the two, but also because he does not want to have his brother killed. However, the other brother claims that the decision was unfair, as he was defending the border when he heard of his fathers death, and thus had no say in the matter. He also claims that he did more of the nations leg-work than his brother did, and it could have been possible to avoid a civil war if the two simply talked about the matter.
  • A generation earlier, the king was usurped by his brother, forcing the king and his child to go into hiding, while the brother lead a tyrannical reign until his death. His son, though bluntly admitting that what his father did was immoral and thus has no pride in him, refuses to give up the throne to his cousin, the rightful heir since the king had died in the meantime, and wishes to use the use the power that he's been given to undo the damage of his father. As for the claimant, even though their journey is similar to previous lords, their personality could vary wildly, having both great strengths and virtues, but also considerable (and potentially fatal) flaws.
  • In a kingdom that allows slavery, there is a slave girl working for the royal family. Greatly impressed by her intellect, wit, and managerial (and potentially combat) skills, and the fact that they have no children of their own, the King and Queen adopt her, much to the ire of another royal family, who had toiled greatly for years on end, even having lost some close friends and family to war, to become worthy of being the Kingdoms successor. When the fatal day came that the king and queen died, both sides took actions to ensure they would be come the kingdoms successors, and with the noble family appearing to have succeeded. However, both sides had gained support throughout the years, with the slave girl impressing many people with her intellect and leadership abilities, and for being a hope to many of slaves and common folk alike for having a ruler who wasn't of noble birth, while others would remember the great deeds, accomplishments, and sacrifices of the noble family that they can't help but admire them or feel as if they are indebted to them, which leads to a large scale conflict.

I may or may not paste this into the story thread now that I think of it. Out of question, is that allowed on this site?

Edited by Hawkwing

A female Lord make her feel similar to Minerva or Ayra that's all you need and perfect! 

A mercenary that's all for the money but can put it aside for world changing events so a mix of Volke and Saber.

A adorkable perky mage girl that's very strong similar to Ophelia!

I want another Clairine character either another usual healer or another Pegasus Knight.

I want another "mature lady" archer beautiful, stoic, dignified and well known for her archery skills.

I want a better wind mage looking character like Merric or Soren not another Ricken/Hayato.

The usual "young looking" dragon girl self explanatory.

Dagger wielding Dancers

The usual older mentor character

Another goofy lovable Fighter character also more female Fighters like Charlotte!

For beast characters I want: Bats, Bears, maybe something to a Minotaur

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

14 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Salty is slang for easily and openly aggravated over trivial things, but mildly. In the context of Granny here, having an attitude of "these darn kids!" 

Your mage lord concept is pretty much exactly what I was thinking, though I think a glassy defense unit would be a bit hardcore for the one we are forced to deploy.

Ah; thanks. 

To be fair, I did say strength and potentially HP would be abysmally small; I never said anything about defense. He could be a mage lord that runs around in armour (given that the one I wrote was describing a noble, it could happen). 

18 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Forgive me if I sound horribly ignorant, but how would this character be used for romance?

I was going on the assumption that marriage would return in the next game.  And this character wouldn't be a romance option if that were the case. This character, who would looks incredibly young but is actually an adult, could potentially stir old wounds that Fates left (see: Nyx, Elise and Hayato), which is mainly why I said they wouldn't be in romance. 

I was going on the assumption that marriage would return in the next game.  And this character wouldn't be a romance option if that were the case. This character, who would looks incredibly young but is actually an adult, could potentially stir old wounds that Fates left (see: Nyx, Elise and Hayato), which is mainly why I said they wouldn't be in romance.  

I see, that makes sense. I`d like to avoid having those characters romancable to.

As for my contribution to this thread, I`ll just list a couple of ideas from the top of my head.

A Cavalier who joins your army after you helped protect their village from bandits.

A Cleric who, through supports, sees the hipocrisy in her religion.

A Wyvern Rider/Lord sibling pair that is the red and green knights of that game.

A master duelist and arena champion who's not just somebody you can recruit, but is someone who has made so much money and renown he has his own group of assassins, and can well influence politics in the city he lives in. The city he lives in being a place where fighting, war, and the arena is an important aspect of the culture and society of course.

An enemy lord who cares much for his people, and thinks rationally yet his superstitious beliefs sway him towards doing things that he would normally deem unjust or unfit acts, and this can be seen and understood in his actions and words.

An enemy cult leader, sort of like Manfroy's position, who actually has a good reason for choosing to side with his deity. Example being when most of the people in society shunned him because of his genitalia deformity or lack-off he couldn't turn to the god people worshiped, and so all he could do was pray to the dark god even if he thought for a while he wasn't real, and just a myth. Actually this could perfectly be Manfroy's backstory if they ever did a Genealogy remake.

A non-East Asian style speedy swordsman. Knights use one handed swords that they move around much faster than Samurai's did with their Katanas

1 hour ago, Logos said:

A master duelist and arena champion who's not just somebody you can recruit, but is someone who has made so much money and renown he has his own group of assassins, and can well influence politics in the city he lives in. The city he lives in being a place where fighting, war, and the arena is an important aspect of the culture and society of course.

This is very similar to Raubahn in Final Fantasy XIV if you want to see a heroic character with this kind of back-story. 

Also, I can tell you right now that a inserting a trans/agender/intersex character and have them be an important villian that worshipped the "evil" god because society hated them would be a mistake. Any commentary attempted with that is too transparent and self-serving, and the sheer level of controversy and discourse from having a confirmed intersex character be a nightmare cult leader that needed to be killed verses, ya know, just being a nice, relatable, friendly unit would stain the game. 

Hmm, as an alternative, maybe he was poor/battered/orphaned as a child, and the Naga worshipers never did much to help him, but the cultists of the dark god kidnapped him and suddenly he had enough food, shelter, and education.

In the context of Genealogy, his positive experience is also how he justifies the child stealing from small villages. He sees being under the dark church as a vastly better way to live than in some poor village.

Edited by Altrosa

6 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Also, I can tell you right now that a inserting a trans/agender/intersex character and have them be an important villian that worshipped the "evil" god because society hated them would be a mistake. Any commentary attempted with that is too transparent and self-serving, and the sheer level of controversy and discourse from having a confirmed intersex character be a nightmare cult leader that needed to be killed verses, ya know, just being a nice, relatable, friendly unit would stain the game.

The mistake when making such a character would be to pay too much attention to the details, and his "defect". This person would be equally reasonable, relatable as a character, and he doesn't necessarily have to be killed. The significance of this character comes from showing how people's hate can only lead them to make monsters that are reflections of that hate. (So not really Manfroy, lol, my bad.) This character does things in the name of his lord not because he wants to also hurt people, but because he feels obligated morally since his god has always been there for him, when no one else would. Also FE stories need to stop this notion of all villains have to be killed, if you defeat the lords of other kingdoms you don't kill them. You make them loyal to you by taking one of their children (heirs) as a hostage in to your own kingdom, so that when they go back to rule their respective kingdom. They'll be obedient towards you, and you end any hostilities for a while.

Edited by Logos

18 minutes ago, Logos said:

The mistake when making such a character would be to pay too much attention to the details, and his "defect". This person would be equally reasonable, relatable as a character, and he doesn't necessarily have to be killed. The significance of this character comes from showing how people's hate can only lead them to make monsters that are reflections of that hate. (So not really Manfroy, lol, my bad.) This character does things in the name of his lord not because he wants to also hurt people, but because he feels obligated morally since his god has always been there for him, when no one else would. Also FE stories need to stop this notion of all villains have to be killed, if you defeat the lords of other kingdoms you don't kill them. You make them loyal to you by taking one of their children (heirs) as a hostage in to your own kingdom, so that when they go back to rule their respective kingdom. They'll be obedient towards you, and you end any hostilities for a while.

Or, you could find a nice middle ground and treaty or alliance. I think Grima being transparently bad and Corrin's saccharine naturesmade a hyper optimistic mains a bit passe, but it can still be done.

I mean, going by the example here, our main character could make it a point to understand and protect marginalized people. I mean, the ruler should be a decent person. Unless we have free reign to be good or evil, then we could explore it from multiple angles.

I guess at this point having characters going about political dealings with neighbors and other powerful organizations (like a religious order) in vastly different ways.

Hmmm, maybe a Heretic from a extremely religous area? 

• Dark Mage, probably starts with like B Rank Dark Magic and C Rank Anima when you first add her.
  • Very nice and chill person. Gets along with everyone
  • High Mag, Skl, Spd. Low Def, Res, HP. Glass Tank
  • Son of a priest and started to drift away from their orginal beliefs 

Extra:

• Named Clementine 
  • Has supports with Devout person from the army. Comes to a comprise 
  • Starts with Ruin and Elthunder 

A yaoi couple... not being explicit or out there... more of the lines of a python/forsyth dynamic.... they are always together and we may learn about the relationship  through hints here and there..  for example maybe one female character confess to one of them and he rejects her and she learns the deal... one could be more overprotective but not in a sense of turning his character all about the other like faye