Side character ideas

TheSS

You know how some female characters tend to be the subject of "waifu worship" in the fandom? Let's have a girl who gets this, but in-universe and hated it to the point where she abandoned her old life. Once a prominent pegasus knight born to a high-standing family in the capitol, she came to resent pressure to uphold her family name and the infatuated masses, in part because her own family egged it on. Your main characters recognize her (under a different name) when they come to the backwater village she's relocated to, and is initially reluctant to join but decides to support the cause, provided nobody gives her away. After the war she disappears back to her village, unwilling to be put back onto her old pedestal.

Her class is not pegasus knight (she released it, sold it or left it behind) and she may or may not be able to reclass back into one. She either cannot S-rank anyone or cannot S-rank people who would bring her too close for comfort to her hometown.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Sleazy barkeeper, as flirtatious as Laslow, with none of the actual charm

- Mildly perverted old swordmaster

- Socially awkward thief who chose the profession specifically to avoid human interaction

- Braggadocio mercenary who tells stories of feats he hasn’t actually accomplished, his only real talent is lying

- By extension, said mercenary’s son, inspired by his father’s tales to do even greater things: but unlike the father, the son actually succeeds at achieving great feats of heroism.

• 1 month later...

I have quite a few ideas that I would love to see:

Lord
I'd like the lord to be female, and be the lone main protagonist all the way through. So far, all the female lords have had to share the protagonist status with another: Lyn alongside Hector and Eliwood, Celica alongside Alm, Eirika alongside Ephraim, Lucina alongside Chrom, Micaiah alongside Ike. (Corrin doesnt really count, since they're an MU). I just want a singular lord a la Marth, Roy, Seliph, and Leif, but female. I also really want her to be a lance or axe user. 

While I do want an Avatar, I really reeeeeally dont want them to be too important. I'd like them to be along the lines of Mark in terms of relevance to the plot and Kris in terms of customization. Even along the lines of Robin would be fine. Just not Corrin. Never Corrin. It'd be also really cool if we could choose our backstories like we could with Kris, and have that change some dialogue in supports with Avatar like it did with certain characters in NewMotFE. Also I want the option to choose our starting class. All in all, I want them to be that customizable self-inserty character that you can have fun with, but just happens to be another random soldier in the army, following their Lord's command like everyone else.

Jagen
Grizzled, grumpy old woman who comes from a long family of knights. Is so done with everyone's shit. Hell, she didnt even wanna BE a knight, she wanted to be a world famous chef. But noooo, her family HAD to force her to "follow tradition". And now, while she is the kingdom's most veteran and skilled night, she's perpetually snappy and grumpy because she realizes that she's now near the end of her life and she wasted it following the tradition of her family, rather than doing what she truly loved. Constantly smoking a cigar. Her ending is called "Better Late Than Never" and she finally lays down her arms to become a chef in her last years.

Red and Green Unit
I really enjoyed Miss Leaker's idea for having the red and green units being twin mages instead of knights.  It'd be cool if one mage was a Dark Mage, with a red and black palette, and the other a mage that uses Light Magic with a green and white palette. Back story could be along the lines if the two constantly feeling compared to the other in different, and really wanting to get out of the others' shadow. Because of this, they often bicker when they're together, but are a dream team in battle.

Main Pegasus Knight character
Male Pegasus Knight. One of the few males in the world that is able to tame pegasi. Is constantly berated and made fun of by some male peers since being a pegasus knight isnt "manly" or a "girly job". Because of this, he is initially very insecure and withdrawn from others. But as the story continues he realizes just how far he's come, how strong and skilled he's become and, eventually, he finds himself nothing but proud to be a a pegasus knight, and forms a tight bond with his fellow pegasisters (heh). His ending has him becoming one of the most successful knights in his homeland, finding riches and glory, and no man ever made fun of him(or the profession) ever again. Little boys and girls the land over look up to him.

Miscellaneous
- Foreigner Mercenary that is easily duped into doing incredibly dangerous jobs for super cheap money because of a language barrier. 
- Merchant traveling along a Fire Emblem version of the Silk Road. S/he hates Anna and is their eternal rival in business. Think the Bill Gates to Anna's Steve Jobs.
- Male Dancer. Very kind and outgoing, but surprisingly very strict on himself and others.
- Engineer who was creating war machines for the enemy. Turns to the allied side so that s/he can make more war machines to pit against the one s/he created for the enemy. Like a giant game of chess, but one s/he's playing from both sides.
- Sketchy Traveling Circus Owner (Not a modern one. Think an the Hunchback of Notre Dame-esque carnival). Originally has little regard for animal or human life, which is evident with how they treat their employees but eventually gets better at being nicer to those around them. Kinda

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I could honestly do this all day lol.

Edited by Talcinel

• 4 weeks later...

A fist-fighting monk with knuckle weapons. The catch is that he was kicked out of the monastery for being too anxious to fight and ignoring the rule that it's only for self-defense. He could even have a character arc in his supports (perhaps with a staff-user from the monastery he was from?) about learning to be more serene.

A borderline-evil shaman/dark mage who is up to shady "extracurricular" activities when he's recruited with the lord's goal being to have him change his ways. He's not with the bad guys, doesn't have any affiliation with them, but he's not a good person at first either. Think Henry if he was actually interesting and not just "lol I like blood I'm random xD"

A standard mage (maybe a light magic user) who is convinced that she's a magical girl (for lack of a better word). She truly thinks that she's the key to saving the world, and more importantly she doesn't see her enemies as an actual threat (because in her world, she can't actually be hurt). She could even name her attacks like they do in the shows. ...come to think of it, she sounds a lot like Odin and Ophelia. Maybe a more eccentric version of those that's even less grounded in reality.

An overconfident pegasus knight who thinks she's untouchable and can't lose regardless of the odds. Not false confidence like Subaki, not "oh I didn't know I was so perfect" like Cordelia - she knows she isn't perfect, but she thinks it doesn't matter because she's such a good fighter. Could create interesting relationships between herself and characters who are more realistic or cynical.

Christmas cavs who don't get along. Not a friendly rivalry, they just dislike each other and resent whoever assigned them to the same unit. Would make for good character progression to see them grow closer to one another. Maybe they could be one guy and one girl, and end up a couple when they realize how much they have in common.

A happy-go-lucky wyvern rider without a care in the world.

A mercenary who constantly worries that he's charging too much for his abilities. Would make a good foil for the overconfident pegasus.

I always thought it would be funny if there was a character that happened to be a renowned Mage and had a child that is dubious about his/her ability, prompting him/her to run away from home and become a bandit. Thing is the child ends up having a high Magic growth and is a monster with Bolt Axes/ Levin Swords, etc.

One thing I think would be interesting is a dark mage who is pretty much addicted to dark magic (assuming dark magic has the same harmful properties it had in the Elibe games). I am imagining a character that is addicted to the properties of dark magic, even though they are harming him both physically and mentally (basically drugs that can be used as a weapon). Maybe they were once a normal mage, but at one point had to turn to dark magic to quickly gain power. Their supports can explore dark magic and could also have the other characters help him potentially quit.

Unlike my previous posts, I'll try keep this one brief:

• An Ajax and Teucer pair. The former would be a hot-blood, prideful (and potentially bloodthirsty) knight, while the latter would be his calmer, more level headed archer. In their supports, the Ajax would handle the close-up stuff, while the Teucer would fire over his shield. Teucer could also be his illegitimate brother that Ajax would love anyway, but that's not necessary (I got this information from this TV Tropes page, so don't ask me about the actual myth).
  • A thief who's personality is similar to Garrett from the Thief series, and can only capture enemies. He would also have a personal skill that after the battle, he would provide the player with extra gold depending on which environment the battle was fought in, how many enemies there where, what the quality of their equipment was, etc.
  • The leader of the evil cult that appears in most odd the games wouldn't be an obviously evil or fanatically religious, but instead he/she would be pragmatic but faithless and would use said religion to bolster their own power. They would also be calm and calculating instead of in-your-face about this fact, too.