Amiibo characters in FE switch?

Dinar87

Ike, Roy, etc... being playable  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should they come back as optional characters, kinda like in fates?

• Yes! Let me play as Roy!
    • Nope, keep them out!

So fates had probably my favorite implementation of fanservice specifically to do with the likes of Marth, Ike and the others, seeing as you could not only play as them but they'd even have their own special classes and new-fates styled artwork done for them. Echoes was kinda underwhelming with this since the amiibo characters are just phantoms rather than fully fleshed out units with supports and stuff (Echoes is still my favorite 3ds fire emblem though).

Basically would you like to have Roy, Ike, Lucina, etc... playable as optional characters you can recruit, like how it was in fates? I'd personally love that, but I hope they flesh the characters out even further and give them supports too!

It's a tough choice for me tbh, I like using my amiibo but at the same time immersion break, maybe if they allowed you to get their respective weapons through a dungeon or quest or something I feel that could work, however, the quests should be in the game from the start and using the amiibo allows earlier access and less difficult quest then the normal version.

I'm not crazy about it, just because I think it's a little silly. But it doesn't really matter since it can just be ignored.

As long as it isn't so painfully  obviously pay-to-win then it's fine, I suppose.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

I'd like it to be like how it was in Fates. I enjoyed buying replicas of their weapons and getting accessories based on their games. The unique classes and artwork is a nice touch too. (In fact, I especially loved getting seals to become their classes, even if it was only in dlc. So I really hope that's a thing again.) Having supports would be nice, the only two that would stand out are Ike and Roy, but that could be figured out. Supports aren't a necessity though.

I honestly feel like it's alright to do it how Fates did for the time being, but as more games come, it'll be need to toned down a lot.

The way that it was handled in Fates had a bit of controversy though, due to how it clashes with cases of how they are apparently from both their game and from Smash. I sort of enjoyed the phantom characters in Echoes, though I disliked that they cannot be controlled. However, the implementation on making Roy and Marth be the only amiibos able to kill Duma was a neat touch. Marth and Roy hold the weapons specifically designed to defeat dragon gods like Duma. Lucina can't cause her Falchion's power was not fully unlocked, unlike Marth's. 

I'd love it if they did what they did in fates, I thought it was great to include some extra units with amiibo, my only worry is that in the future we may end up with more fire emblem amiibo than we can handle, we already had 6 from smash bros. and now we have 10 from SoV and Warriors, I just hope that we can get them all, I'd love to have Ike and Tiki in the next game through amiibo. 

Fates was great, but there were only 4 FE Amiibo then so it was fairly easy to put them in.  Now on the other hand we have 10 and I am sure we will have more when FE Switch comes out.  Making new art for 10+ units would be a lot of work, while SoV was not ideal it was a nice balance.  Of course they could go the way of FE Warriors and just give the player weapons when the Amiibo is scanned, but it would be nice if they did a bit more then that.  I would love it if the Amiibo are playable again, but unless it is like SoV I don't see it happening like in Fates because the focus should be on coding in the new characters.

11 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Though Robin saying Corrin was the better tactician just screams wrong

I agree. Robin has been studying tactics for a long time, and then got a lot of experience with Chrom. Corrin is Corrin, so he/she means nothing. Robin is best.
(I'm now upset that there wasn't a Fernand character in Fates, someone who does not like Corrin's way of doing things and then takes matters into their own hands.)

About the Amiibo, something similar to Fates with the characters being playable is nice, but give them more reason to be used. Supports, class change, or some unique, but not game breaking ability. I would also like something like Echoes, as in the Amiibo unlocking a challenge map which gives a reward. I did like the Phantom Units, so I really want to control Phantom Units. (Just make the Amiibo playable like Fates, but give the Phantom effect like Echoes: SoV).

2 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

I agree. Robin has been studying tactics for a long time, and then got a lot of experience with Chrom. Corrin is Corrin, so he/she means nothing. Robin is best.
(I'm now upset that there wasn't a Fernand character in Fates, someone who does not like Corrin's way of doing things and then takes matters into their own hands.)

About the Amiibo, something similar to Fates with the characters being playable is nice, but give them more reason to be used. Supports, class change, or some unique, but not game breaking ability. I would also like something like Echoes, as in the Amiibo unlocking a challenge map which gives a reward. I did like the Phantom Units, so I really want to control Phantom Units. (Just make the Amiibo playable like Fates, but give the Phantom effect like Echoes: SoV).

Plus the fight was kind of stacked with Robin having far fewer units available who were all generic. 

I kind of found the phantom ascetic to be kind of creepy (no eyes). I'd rather they integrated them like Fates since it is probably the best part of the game aside from the aforementioned Robin inconsistency (I rather like Ike's new portrait, and would like to see all of them redone in the new game's style whatever it be). Of course, now there would be more than four characters to work with as now they also now have Roy, Alm, Celica, Chrom, and Tiki. It may be more work than they want to do.

Edit: Oh, and both Corrins. Forgot about them.

Edited by Arthur97

14 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Remove the Smash references and absolutely. Plus, now we can have Chrom too. Though Robin saying Corrin was the better tactician just screams wrong.

Thank goodness the english version omits this. For me, Robin is the best tactician in Fire Emblem. 

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

It did? I could have sworn it didn't. Well, one point for the localization then.

Well... sort of. 

Robin: "I feel that you and I are kindred spirits, even if you're the stronger one. I must say—I'm jealous. You were clearly certain of yourself from the start. I should have prepared better."

I think this quote is more on that he was caught off guard. Though this isn't the Robin from Awakening, but from Smash.

No. Do what they've been doing with Amiibos more recently. Have then give specific short-term rewards that don't massively affect the game. 

And yes, using Amiibos to gain free units does massively affect the game. 

How about Amiibos give nerfed versions of the respective Amiibo's signiture weapons, and they're only usable ONCE? 

Edited by Slumber

56 minutes ago, Slumber said:

No. Do what they've been doing with Amiibos more recently. Have then give specific short-term rewards that don't massively affect the game. 

How about Amiibos give nerfed versions of the respective Amiibo's signiture weapons, and they're only usable ONCE? 

Or how about no amiibo instead, I'd rather have no effect than a half assed effect that gives me nothing in the long run. I'd rather the amiibo take stuff away from you at that point.

if it isn't like fates don't even bother because otherwise it will only be a tease.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

You could, you know, not scan them if you hate it so much.

What about Warriors's method with Amiibo? Scan Amiibo each IRL day giving you random materials and a tiny bit of gold?

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Or how about no amiibo instead, I'd rather have no effect than a half assed effect that gives me nothing in the long run. I'd rather the amiibo take stuff away from you at that point.

if it isn't like fates don't even bother because otherwise it will only be a tease.

Why so much dislike for Amiibo? It's not pay to win or anything. It's just physical merch+DLC content attached. 

I mean, unless the issue is Nintendo making them too hard to find then I can't exactly argue.

8 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

You could, you know, not scan them if you hate it so much.

Yes, and the people who complained about Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot boxes could have simply not bought them and instead just played the game for 4000 hours to unlock everything. 

That's an extreme comparison, but it's the most relevant right now. Getting limited use weapons from Amiibos isn't really a big deal. It's still lame, but it's not the negligible. Getting ENTIRE CHARACTERS in a game all about character management IS a big deal. There are 11 Fire Emblem Amiibos. At that point, somebody who shelled out $150ish for toys is now getting a vastly different experience than I am. 

Edited by Slumber

Ooooooor, the amiibo can let the protagonist cosplay as those characters.

Sorry, it's just that every recent Nintendo game is giving us the option for dressup and I'm getting addicted.

As for my poll answer, it's a no from me. I don't mean to be a downer, but yeah, I don't like the imbalance optional, playable characters would provide. If you ask mii, Amiibo is at its worst when it provides content you can't otherwise get in that game. 

Edited by Glennstavos