Amiibo characters in FE switch?

Dinar87

Ike, Roy, etc... being playable  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should they come back as optional characters, kinda like in fates?

• Yes! Let me play as Roy!
    • Nope, keep them out!

51 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Ooooooor, the amiibo can let the protagonist cosplay as those characters.

Sorry, it's just that every recent Nintendo game is giving us the option for dressup and I'm getting addicted.

I'd actually probably like this more than anything else.

And with this, we could extend it past Fire Emblem if the developers want.

Who doesn't want to be Waluigi killing giant dragons? You get a taste of this in Mario Odyssey, bring Waluigi to his full glory in Fire Emblem.

Edited by Slumber

18 hours ago, Slumber said:

Yes, and the people who complained about Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot boxes could have simply not bought them and instead just played the game for 4000 hours to unlock everything. 

That's an extreme comparison, but it's the most relevant right now. Getting limited use weapons from Amiibos isn't really a big deal. It's still lame, but it's not the negligible. Getting ENTIRE CHARACTERS in a game all about character management IS a big deal. There are 11 Fire Emblem Amiibos. At that point, somebody who shelled out $150ish for toys is now getting a vastly different experience than I am. 

Dude, chill. It would still be extra content. The main game would remain unaltered as odds are they'd have no supports or plot relevance. Even if those units were really good, it's just an extra crutch you probably don't need. A bone to those who did buy the Amiibo. Something like nerfed versions of their weapons is just too lame. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agreeing with the 'give us their costumes, not the units themselves' idea, to be honest.  Maybe some job unlocks, but putting mechanically relevant content into the Amiibos leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth (like it did with Fates).

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly? Yes, but do it the Fates way. I'll take any chance to see new art for Marth and Roy!

The whole costume idea is great. The new lord in Robin's tactician coat, or Tiki's head accessory...d'awwwh.

1 hour ago, Altrosa said:

The costume thing would useless to me, I wouldn't feel the need to get old amiibo if all I get is an ugly hair pin that doesn't match my avatar.

You're not supposed to feel the need to get Amiibos.

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Exactly.

Which is why doing it the Fates way is perfectly fine. It's a great form of fanservice, but by no means essential to enjoy the game in full.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:22 AM, Slumber said:

Yes, and the people who complained about Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot boxes could have simply not bought them and instead just played the game for 4000 hours to unlock everything. 

That's an extreme comparison, but it's the most relevant right now. Getting limited use weapons from Amiibos isn't really a big deal. It's still lame, but it's not the negligible. Getting ENTIRE CHARACTERS in a game all about character management IS a big deal. There are 11 Fire Emblem Amiibos. At that point, somebody who shelled out $150ish for toys is now getting a vastly different experience than I am. 

The Battlefront 2 example is pretty bad; it's a multi-player focused game that had its entire progression system screwed with to incentivize microtransactions.

So the person who spent 2.5X as much money as the game itself costs on plastic figures gets a dozen units that are pure fanservice. ...I'd be quicker to call that person a sucker than complain about "muh complete game experience". Besides, the amount of FE amiibo makes me question if they'd even be willing to do anything, due to the larger workload and Nintendo doing less with amiibo overall.

Edited by The DanMan

8 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The Battlefront 2 example is pretty bad; it's a multi-player focused game that had its entire progression system screwed with to incentivize microtransactions.

So the person who spent 2.5X as much money as the game itself costs on plastic figures gets a dozen units that are pure fanservice and not directly tied to the game. ...I'd be quicker to call that person a sucker than complain about "muh complete game experience". Besides, the amount of FE amiibo makes me question if they'd even be willing to do anything, due to the larger workload and Nintendo doing less with amiibo overall.

I'd say they're suckers regardless, unless they're getting Amiibos purely because they like figures, but Amiibos have been shifting away from "Changing the way games are played" to "Giving you tiny things that you can use in most major releases".

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that, regardless of the "complete experience", somebody using the Amiibos would entirely change the way the games are played than somebody not. That's not a good look for Nintendo, which is why we've been getting less "Here's half of a game roster to play as" ala Codename S.T.E.A.M. or "Here's an entire gameplay feature" ala Smash 4, and more "Here's one random companion that you can't control and you can only use once a day" ala Breath of the Wild, which is probably the most egregious case of Amiibo usage I've seen on the Switch.

Edited by Slumber

What sucks about Amiibo is it really has been different game per game. 

Unlocking modes and characters behind Amiibo feels gross, but some recent games do so little with them, you really only see people who want the figure itself buy them.

What's annoying to me is WiiU/3DS games would have one Amiibo unlock a ton of goodies across multiple games, but newer Amiibo and newer games don't. A Fox Amiibo unlocked a costume and weapon set in Bayonetta 2 of all things.

So, I guess I was part of preferring the old way. It was one purchase for DLC accross many games. 

But I still like them because it's an accessible, affordable figurine of a character that merch may be a pain to get stuff for.

Edited by Altrosa

• 3 weeks later...

YES!

I don't care what the others have been saying. I like the fact it payed homage to everything the character had like giving Ike his sword beams. Roy needs this, he deserves the call back with animations representing his Binding Blade and Smash animations. Plus we can finally see Binding Blade have two range again! We'd also get Tiki, Chrom, Corrin(s), Alm and Celica in the game.

Fuck yes!

On 12/28/2017 at 7:15 PM, Slumber said:

Uh, well, to a degree you are. They need to provide some (albeit unnecessary) incentive to buy them. They should do something, and it should be good, but not too good. Fates did it well. They were in no way pertinent to the plot or anything, but they were a fun extra if you do have them.