Is it recommended that I skip US/UM?

Fryer

I have this bad habit of breeding and training up competitive Pokemon but never garnering the motivation to actually use it in the competitive scene; what I do instead is use the Pokemon for the Battle Tree or simply ignore them and hop on Showdown. As someone who isn't too interested in going online, would you recommend me getting the game? I am not too interested in the main story except the RR subplot, but I have already spoiled myself that. The only other thing that piques my interest is catching the legendaries. Is purchasing this game that big of improvement over S/M or should I just get myself a copy of OR/AS and just catch legendaries there (used copies are like 25 bucks or less at GameStop).

While I myself have not bought the game, it's because it doesn't seem like much more than $20 DLC being sold as a $40 game.

Supposedly, they simply hyped up what they did because everything else is pretty much unchanged, and the best part is the postgame.

Honestly, I'd just stick to showdown, maybe buy ORAS, I enjoyed the myself but I'm biased towards Hoenn.

5 minutes ago, Gebby said:

While I myself have not bought the game, it's because it doesn't seem like much more than $20 DLC being sold as a $40 game.

Supposedly, they simply hyped up what they did because everything else is pretty much unchanged, and the best part is the postgame.

Honestly, I'd just stick to showdown, maybe buy ORAS, I enjoyed the myself but I'm biased towards Hoenn.

I see. How is ORAS as a game and does it improve RS a lot? I grew up playing Pokemon Sapphire and for whatever reason, I reset my file a few times a year. I am mostly burnt out on Hoenn and I was wondering if the remakes offer a new spin on it. I played X version before and I didn't quite enjoy it (it's my least favorite Pokemon title). Are ORAS the better games of Gen VI?

If you like difficulty in a pokémon game, then it is a great improvement. If you liked Emerald and Platinum, then it's the game for you. If you didn't you might want to skip this one. The game is not ''$20 dlc worthy'' in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

If you like difficulty in a pokémon game, then it is a great improvement. If you liked Emerald and Platinum, then it's the game for you. If you didn't you might want to skip this one. The game is not ''$20 dlc worthy'' in my opinion. 

What if I had enjoyed B2/W2? Never played Emerald but I have owned Platinum before and enjoyed that one as well.

Edited by Fryer

20 minutes ago, Fryer said:

I see. How is ORAS as a game and does it improve RS a lot? I grew up playing Pokemon Sapphire and for whatever reason, I reset my file a few times a year. I am mostly burnt out on Hoenn and I was wondering if the remakes offer a new spin on it. I played X version before and I didn't quite enjoy it (it's my least favorite Pokemon title). Are ORAS the better games of Gen VI?

It's pretty good in my opinion, the super secret bases are a neat addition and hunting shinies is pretty easy. I wouldn't call myself a shiny hunter, but I've hunted and obtained a fair number in my time with the game. It's not really incredibly difficult, but it's fun nonetheless. It's pretty much just gen 3 but prettier and overall improved.

35 minutes ago, Fryer said:

What if I had enjoyed B2/W2? Never played Emerald but I have owned Platinum before and enjoyed that one as well.

It's not quite like B2/W2. Platinum is kind of similiar, and it's more similiar to Diamond and Pearl than USUM is to Sun and Moon.

While i don't have the game (because it's not worth the $40 imo), from what i've heard, you don't miss much by skipping this game. It's harder than Sun&Moon and, yes, there are some new additions, but for the most part, the game is 95% the same as Sun&Moon. And if you enjoyed Sun&Moon's story, then unfortunately, i hear USUM's story is a weaker version of Sun&Moon's story.

Also, the Rotom Dex doesn't shut up but if you ignore him, he just guilt trips you.

It really depends on how much you enjoyed Sun and Moon, honestly. The game's structure is very similar, with some very minor to major improvements, most being extremely good improvements and only 1 notable one being absolutely terrible (SHUT THE HELL UP ROTOM DEX). However the thing I think sets it apart is that it provides a lot more of a challenge compared to Sun and Moon in both the major trainer battles as well as the Totems, which have been toughened up substantially. Even with the still stupid broken EXP Share (3x EXP with a full party, whyyyyy), I've seen some people struggle through certain parts of the game, although everything in the main game past the apex is pretty easy. I breezed through the E4 and Champion upwards of 5 levels under (They range from 56 to 60, I went in at 51). But up until that, I was having my ass handed to me on every Totem Pokemon (Except Ribombee lmao that thing's weak as shit) and most major Trainer battles past island 1, barely pulling through most of the time. I can't speak for the Rainbow Rocket portion of the game, as I have yet to get to that. I've heard it's a bit of a challenge though, which is good.

Overall USUM is a better version of Sun and Moon in everything but the story (Which is actually better in a few things, namely Hau and Guzma as a whole, although it's overall weaker narrative-wise). If you're in to Shiny Hunting, this is your game. Easy to get Shiny Charm, and tons of UBs and Legends to SR or otherwise catch, as well as everything in the new Regional Dex.

I guess I should add this in. If you enjoyed Ruby and Sapphire more than you did Sun and Moon, sure, maybe go for ORAS if you can get it at a reduced price. It's a Gen 6 game so it's really dang easy because of the old EXP system and modern EXP Share, as well as Mega Evolutions (Although even without all of those it's pretty easy), and frankly I feel it's a massive slog on repeat playthroughs (That said, I did have a good amount of fun my first time through since I started with Emerald), but the Delta Episode is a fun experience. In regards to the Legendary hunting, I find the ORAS' to be much less fun than USUM's since it's just finding the thing and getting to it, but it's easier to find the specific Legendaries you want since they appear at specific times and places. USUM's is less predictable in the things you'll find, but the minigame you play is fun once you turn off the motion controls and relatively quick. Although, the data of the conditions of appearance for the Legends isn't really a thing right now in USUM, while ORAS has been around long enough for it to be 100% available.

So basically, if you want fun while you get the Legendaries (As well as infinite of the Sun and Moon Ultra Beasts as well as up to 7% Shiny rates for non-Legend or UB encounters), USUM. If you just want the Legends easily, ORAS.

On a slightly different note, not sure if you're aware or not, but there have been ingame competitive events going on since Gen 6 that are pretty easy to sign up for and are really lenient on participation. They tend to have some odd rules (For example the one happening in 2 weeks is Doubles with Johto and Alola Regional Dexes only, and the final one in Sun and Moon was a 1v1 format with Mega Evolutions only) but they're pretty fun and a good way to introduce yourself to doing online ingame. And hey, you've got a community to battle with right here, if you so choose.

27 minutes ago, Emerson said:

It really depends on how much you enjoyed Sun and Moon, honestly. The game's structure is very similar, with some very minor to major improvements, most being extremely good improvements and only 1 notable one being absolutely terrible (SHUT THE HELL UP ROTOM DEX). However the thing I think sets it apart is that it provides a lot more of a challenge compared to Sun and Moon in both the major trainer battles as well as the Totems, which have been toughened up substantially. Even with the still stupid broken EXP Share (3x EXP with a full party, whyyyyy), I've seen some people struggle through certain parts of the game, although everything in the main game past the apex is pretty easy. I breezed through the E4 and Champion upwards of 5 levels under (They range from 56 to 60, I went in at 51). But up until that, I was having my ass handed to me on every Totem Pokemon (Except Ribombee lmao that thing's weak as shit) and most major Trainer battles past island 1, barely pulling through most of the time. I can't speak for the Rainbow Rocket portion of the game, as I have yet to get to that. I've heard it's a bit of a challenge though, which is good.

Totem Ribombee, easy? I guess it didn’t spam Quiver Dance nor did it call a Blissey with Heal Pulse in your case.

But back on subject, while the story is much weaker, the gameplay is superior. And it’s a heaven for competitbe players. So it reaply depends on what you prefer.

34 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Totem Ribombee, easy? I guess it didn’t spam Quiver Dance nor did it call a Blissey with Heal Pulse in your case.

I used a Roto-Boost on turn 1, then used Corkscrew Crash off Meteor Mash with Metagross. It did Quiver Dance turn 1 and did a sizeable chunk with Bug Buzz on turn 2 before dying immediately. Honestly, I don't know if the Roto-Boost was even necessary, even with the +1 Defense.

Also, I WISH I got Blissey. I got Pelipper, which was really annoying since I don't have any Electric moves, and my Lycanrok was actually slower than it since I was underleveled, meaning it got easily OHKO'd with a Rain-Boosted Scald. It has pretty good Defense either way so I doubt Stone Edge would've OHKO'd.

EDIT: Just saying, this totem does sounds absolutely evil without a strong Steel or Poison type. Salazzle seems like a really good counter to it in general, aside from the fact that Quiver Dance boosts SpDef. And also Pelipper.

Edited by Emerson