1-2 range sword idea

Bhoop

Yellow. Was working on homework while listening to nightcore, and The Legend of Link comes up, so I start jamming out of course, why not, right. Then it came to me. 

Axes and Lances have 1-2 range weapons that make sense physically, somewhat. Swords don't, though they tried in Radiant Dawn and Fates. I don't know the general consensus on what people thought of the 1-2 range swords in those games, but eh. 

SO why not have boomerangs as the 1-2 range weapons for swords? Thoughts?

Edited by Bhoop

Fates had Kukri among the numerous enemy-only 1-2 Range variants of regular Iron/Steel/Silver weapons, so I could see those as a more natural alternative to the player-accesible Koadachi and Wakizashi.

Boomerangs could work too, but they'd have to be made out of some sort of metal and not wood, of course.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I like the way Radiant Dawn did it, myself.  

The throwing just looked ridiculous.

But, the way Radiant Dawn does it, even with Ragnell and Alondite, makes them seem as if they should be magic at 2 range. 

2 hours ago, Gebby said:

Nah let's stick to throwing them.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Chucking swords sounds like a plan to me. It's like throwing a gun in Smash Bros. Super effective.

throwing swords doesn't really make sense, because no one carries multiple of the same sword just to throw them. They aren't also physically made to be thrown. And when you throw the gun in Smash Bros, it does minimal damage. 

Note: I've played games where javelin throwing was explained by carrying multiple javelins in a quiver similar to a quiver of arrows, except for javelin. 

8 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Boomerangs could work too, but they'd have to be made out of some sort of metal and not wood, of course.

Yes, they would have to be made out of some type of metal. I mean, if hand axes and tomahawks work as heavy boomerangs, I'm sure metal boomerangs wouldn't be a problem in Fire Emblem. 

Then again, Fates and Awakening did the lazy ass throwing axe animation without them coming back, so I guess throwing swords could work, I just don't like it.

• 2 weeks later...