Getting into Hard Mode

Garlyle

My biggest piece of advice for hard mode is to Use The Terrain. This might seem like a no brainer, but it seriously makes a big difference in Binding Blade. The low hit rates are your friend. A forest plus weapon triangle advantage can turn anyone into a decent dodge tank.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:46 PM, Jotari said:

My biggest piece of advice for hard mode is to Use The Terrain. This might seem like a no brainer, but it seriously makes a big difference in Binding Blade. The low hit rates are your friend. A forest plus weapon triangle advantage can turn anyone into a decent dodge tank.

That's pretty much my strategy. At Chapter 5 I put Merlinus on the mountain to keep the brigands busy. I like Myrmidons more than I should, because they have Skill, Speed and Luck. Although if someone struggles with Strength growth, I don't mind giving them the bench. (in this playthrough: Lugh, Sue, even Thany. feels bad). Supports really help in that too. If someone doesn't have high avoid or high defenses, they don't belong to the front row.

Still I need a couple of retries on maps with my kind of luck. If my 70-80s miss and the enemy 30-40s hit, I know it's not going to end well for me, especially early on when the enemy is closing up to me. (raises the question why I'm using Gonzales)

Positioning seems to be more important in this game than in Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones.

Edited by Garlyle

Binding Blade is also has a higher ratio of good units joining in late game then is typical of most other titles. I wouldn't at all be afraid of benching people if they under perform. You will want room for the likes of Percival, Niime, Zeiss etc.

Getting close to the end. I finished Chapter 21, the chapter which a lot of people complained about and I never played it optimally. Because of the Wyvern Riders I was nervous for all 26 turns I took. I really slowed down at the end, just so I don't lose any units, and Douglas only survived because of dumb luck I guess. We probably don't hear this often from Hard Mode plays, but Lilina wrecked Murdock. It was a difficult chapter, but call me a masochist, I loved it.

Also I haven't played 21x before, so that was a lot of new thing for me. I finished, but I'm considering to replay it, because I lost Clarine and Zeiss because of poor positioning.

I don't know what people complain about with Chapter 21. It's legitimately one of my favourite chapters in the series. Chapter 21x, however, is possibly my least favourite. Warp/Rescue skip material if ever I saw it (and possibly the biggest kick in the teeth is that they wait until after it to promote Roy).

Edited by Jotari

Hello, I have a question on the issue of a game over screen. I lost Roy to an enemy with a hit accuracy of 48. When I revisit the last save that ended his life, will the replay of the battle remain fixed, meaning that Roy is destined to die? Or will the fight play out based on the hit percentage? I really don' want to restart the chapter, but I've redone the save 20 times and not a single time did Roy evade the blow... 

5 hours ago, RoysOurBoy123 said:

Hello, I have a question on the issue of a game over screen. I lost Roy to an enemy with a hit accuracy of 48. When I revisit the last save that ended his life, will the replay of the battle remain fixed, meaning that Roy is destined to die? Or will the fight play out based on the hit percentage? I really don' want to restart the chapter, but I've redone the save 20 times and not a single time did Roy evade the blow... 

Don't hijack topics.

6 hours ago, RoysOurBoy123 said:

Welcome to the forums!

Since the topic has been hijacked anyway - I'm afraid that you do have to restart the chapter.

The RNG in all the GBA games is saved when you suspend and reload, so the lethal blow is already "logged in", so to speak.

Hi, I'm here to bring this ontopic again.

I'm actually still in Chapter 22. I replayed 21x and now nobody died. Also I don't remember Ch22 to be this hard. All those extra units making the first part more challenging, and for the first time I feel like my units are not so amazing anymore. I think I'll be okay getting through the first part, but then those status mages at the top are going to be the trouble, because I only have Shin as an archer who can double them. Also I was stupid enough to bring Lilina into the middle of the throne room just to get an early kill, and get attacked by everyone else. Guess what happened.

I tried to bring it forward after that, but I wouldn't be able to kill Zephiel in time. You see Gonzales and Lilina had the highest kill count from my squad. I'm also bringing Clarine, Shin, Fi, Rutger, Percival, Miledy, Tate, Dieck, Niime, Zeiss, Igrene, Yodel and Astol, and I'll open all the chest. Now I read that the mages will come until Turn 40 and the reinforcements in the final room come until Turn 45. I think my strategy is going to wait it out.

It's done.

k3XfFXs.pngzLPy2ID.pngg3372r7.png

0JWuMMD.pngx0IVT1V.pngFG97Z1y.png

Final Turn Count: 765 (yeah, pretty bad)

Honestly, Chapter 22 was the last difficult chapter. Ch23 was a threat, but I was really not in a rush with that one. The last 2 chapters were actually easier than I first imagined. I didn't really had any experience with the final chapters of true ending yet to be honest, so it's was a little extra flavour to my Hard Mode Run. To mention the heroes of this run: Lilina, Gonzales, Shin, Fir, Miledy, Rutger, Clarine, Niime, Percival. Also thanks for Tate, Dieck, Zeiss, Igrene, Klein and Yodel. I actually had unnecessary worries on my items, but I tend to be cautios. It was a lot of challenge, and it was a lot of fun too, not sure if I'll ever make extra challenges for myself playing Hard Mode.

Edited by Garlyle