Hiya!

I'm Zane. You might know me from my FE5 Menu Translation. Although work on the menu translation has essentially ceased, I've been steadily working on a project that uses it as its base. So, I'd like to introduce Emblem Chronicle VII (henceforth called ECVII):

ECVII is essentially a demake of FE7 within FE5. It's a proof-of-concept, learning tool, and showcase all in one. I'm currently planning on making all of Hector mode, skipping Lyn mode. This release has two chapters.

This isn't 1-to-1, however. I'm not looking to write Elibe fanfiction, but this won't ever be a cut/paste job from 7 to 5. Classes, enemies, maps, and dialogue, along with some other things, will likely be changed.

Unit stats, skills, and classes are not final. This is partially due to the WIP nature of the hack, but is mainly just me figuring out how to play with FE5.

Have some screenshots:

Spoiler

89b9815358.png

Here's a patch:

ECVII [12-1-17]

This is for an unheadered, unedited FE5 ROM.

I'm not responsible for anything past chapter 2. Please don't ask me why it's vanilla. I'd also like to reiterate that essentially none of this is final--if you have a suggestion, I'd like to hear it. If you've got a complaint about stats/levels, be thankful that they'll be getting smoothed out later.

I'd like to thank everyone involved--I certainly couldn't do it without you:

Spoiler

The end of the current patch has a credits list, but a short version is:
Project artists: eise, L95, 2WB, blueeyedman24, flingleforp, Glacoe, Kabby, Tsushi, Blaze, Monkeybard
Tools, resources, help: bookofholsety, StanH, Smilies
Doc, NMMs, other things: Lamia, j2e, Pukachi, DarkTwilkitri

Love, support, feedback, and ideas: everyone over at FEU and the ECVII Discord

There are plenty of bugs in the current build. If you find one not listed here, let me know.

Spoiler

The title cinematic will crash the game if allowed to run for too long.
Item descriptions are too large for the shops.
Hammering 'Start' during the Chp1 cutscene may spawn additional allied units.
Some windows have their background colors cut off.
The EXP gain window lacks a background.
Enemies without items may flee the map from strange locations.

I'll probably be releasing more tools, doc, and whatnot sometime soon.
More info, plans, and screenshots are likely to be appended to this post shortly.

Rebecca having Paragon has made me feel a certain kind of happy I haven't felt in a very long time.

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to more from this project. FE5 ROM hacking is barren right now, so anything will be welcome, and it helps that this looks so damn quality. You have my support, Zane, for sure. (  ' v')b

Cool! I hope @Mage Knight 404 will cover this on his channel for FE E3 2017. Oh wait, he's already here? Well how about that.

This is a really neat idea. It'll be weird to see Ninian do more than just one twirl and bow. Now she'll actually dance.

This looks awesome. Not enough FE5 hacking out there, but this looks pretty neat. Could you potentially explain which FE5 mechanics are being altered for this (are you keeping in 1-99 HIT etc.)?

I'm not interested in changing many mechanics. 1-99 hitrates, 1RN, staves missing, and a lot of other FE5 mechanics are here to stay, at least with current plans. If I decide to make any large mechanical changes in the future there'll definitely be some kind of warning.

Matt's portrait was made by eise. Here's a list of portrait artists, which can also be seen after finishing the current patch:

Spoiler

Matthew portrait - eise/Glacoe
Oswin portrait - eise
Wire portrait - eise
Lowen portrait - eise
Rebecca portrait - eise/L95
Farina portrait - eise
Eliwood portrait - Glacoe
Marcus portrait - Glacoe
Guy portrait - Glacoe
Jaffar portrait - Glacoe
Uther portrait - Blaze
Pent portrait - Blaze
Harken portrait - Tsushi
Serra portrait - Kabby
Zagan portrait - 2WB/Smilies
Bartre portrait - flingleforp
Merlinus portrait - flingleforp
Lucius portrait - flingleforp
Legault portrait - blueeyedman24
Elbert portrait - L95
Ephidel portraits - L95
Erk portrait - L95
Florina portrait - L95
Fargus portrait - L95
Canas portrait - L95
Limstella portrait - L95
Ninian portraits - L95
Nils portraits - L95
Hannah portrait - L95
Teodor portrait - L95
Lyon portrait - L95
Nergal portrait - L95
Zoldam portrait - L95
Kenneth portraits - L95
Hector portrait - Zane/Glacoe
Dorcas portrait - Zane
Soldier portrait - Zane

I really enjoyed this. The concept alone is what got me interested, it's a genuinely neat idea and the hack itself was good fun. I can't wait to see more, keep up the good work!

So does the current patch go up to ch. 2, or did I read that wrong? Regardless, i'm gonna have to give this a try later.

Wow that's actually pretty cool ! I'd love to see this game fully remastered with Thracia's engine. There's some balancing issues and some portraits were not very good looking but I trust you to fix that

I have not extracted or edited battle sprites yet, but they are compressed graphics cut into pieces with some kind of frame data that determines their placement.

57 minutes ago, Zane Avernathy said:

I have not extracted or edited battle sprites yet, but they are compressed graphics cut into pieces with some kind of frame data that determines their placement.

Then how can you get map sprites? What's the difference between them

So everything after ch.2 is vanilla? Are the characters still vanilla or is it just the maps?

6 hours ago, xiaohong said:

Then how can you get map sprites? What's the difference between them

For an explanation of how I went about extracting the map sprites, see here. I don't know anything about the battle animations.

2 hours ago, Tuvy2 said:

So everything after ch.2 is vanilla? Are the characters still vanilla or is it just the maps?

I don't see why this matters. Besides, it shouldn't take you long to check yourself, if you wanted to.