Nintendo Direct Leaked for January

WolfWind

It really only confirms that one's going to happen, and so far it's just 2 games.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I hope this isn't real. Because nothing about FE Switch, a game that's supposed to come out in 2018? Makes no sense! Its release could be delayed at that point. :(

I wouldn't worry. Besides this is just for an EA game, not the direct as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I wouldn't worry. Besides this is just for an EA game, not the direct as a whole.

I see. Yeah, I won't really worry until the Direct is about to happen, if I even have to.

That there would be a January Direct is no surprise in my imo. Nintendo's been doing lots of short announcement to release schedules with Switch and 3DS games, and they probably figured spilling the details about 2018 releases would be a waste until after the holiday season. Plus the only urgent thing I suspect they need to talk about is that Zelda DLC. As far as I know, they haven't confirmed its delay into next year, but they should say something. 

I've also noticed every recent Fire Emblem game, including spinoffs, was announced in a January Direct of some kind. Dating all the way back to SMTxFE in 2013. So a January Direct was my guess for our first teaser of FE Switch.

My best guess is we will get a small teaser trailer, like Fates did back in 2015. This will probably let us see a few characters, the new art style, and maybe a little gameplay. Not a lot, but just enough to get people excited. No story details have to be revealed. 

The game comes 2018? No idea when in 2018, but a small teaser in January seems like a great idea.

Ehhhhh. I'm not too wound up about this. This is just EA, and only for like 2 games? Directs usually cover more than just 2 (they may focus on 2, but I don't think they would focus on just EA games).

It would only be concerning if this was an IS leak.

Okay so yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with most folks in that it's only confirmation of a Direct in January...  Something that is already kind of obviously happening anyway.

It's only natural that EA documents would only contain info on their own games.  If anything, I'd hope that Fire Emblem wouldn't show up at all in their emails, especially with the recent scandals they've gotten entangled in.  Last thing FE needs is to be tied to those money grubbers.

Anyway...  I suppose what we'll get depends on how complete FE Switch is.  Since FE is more a major title, and because previous titles have done this, I'm gonna assume that FE Switch will probably get a teaser and if we're lucky just a general description of what is new about it.  I'd like for us to get something equally as meme/shitpost-worthy as "Pillars of modern combat" or "Shut up, Tobin" at some point during the production cycle.

23 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I'm gonna pray for no edgy vampire emblem

I dunno...  Lots of franchises have had an edgy phase at one point, and FE has been verging towards that direction with Fates: Conquest.

I myself don't care if that "leak" is true or not.  What I care more about is how they'd actually execute it.  Though I highly doubt that whatever is first revealed of the game will give me a good gauge in that regard.

1 minute ago, Altrosa said:

I'm confused as to why EA is involved at all unless it's just them saying that FE is being showed off in the same direct as a game they're publishing. IS and Nintendo don't need EA to publish/port their titles, lol.

Fe is a game made by EA that has nothing to do with Fire Emblem (despite the similar title), if that's what you were wondering. This document is only saying that Fe (again, nothing to do with Fire Emblem) will be shown in a January Direct.

Fire Emblem is notorious for being talked about in the January directs right? So, I'm hoping the tradition follows and we here about FE: Switch. A title would be nice and a release date or at least release quarter. The last two major FE's (main games like Awakening and Fates) came out in the spring, so I'm kinda hoping we'll get it around then but I'm pretty sure that's too hopeful. I would be grateful for anything during the first half of the year. I hope they won't make us wait until next Christmas or something :/

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I dunno...  Lots of franchises have had an edgy phase at one point, and FE has been verging towards that direction with Fates: Conquest.

I myself don't care if that "leak" is true or not.  What I care more about is how they'd actually execute it.  Though I highly doubt that whatever is first revealed of the game will give me a good gauge in that regard.

I don't want it to be true, simply because vampires are... so lazy and lame at this point.

Not that medieval fantasy isn't also lazy, but Fire Emblem's been doing medieval fantasy for nearly 30 years now. It at least has a pedigree and history with it.

Yeah, Conquest had the "play as the bad guys thing", but I think you'll be hardpressed to find anybody who thought that this was a positive of the game. Corrin's "I'm fighting for Nohr and I'm a weak spineless baby, but I want to help EVERYONE!" characterization was not something people praised the game for.

Edited by Slumber

23 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, Conquest had the "play as the bad guys thing", but I think you'll be hardpressed to find anybody who thought that this was a positive of the game.

If the devs follow the money and remain detached enough from fan reception as a result, then they likely think it was a positive thing.

Regardless of what they do, unless they pull a Valkyria Revolution and make it an entirely different genre, I'll probably eat the game up anyway.

19 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Disagree...Vampires are cool and interesting in lore definitely not "lazy and lame" it definitely can work as a narrative in an already fantasy universe....

I honestly think saying any general concept is "lazy and lame" is, ironically, a lazy and lame argument.  I understand that folks have opinions and all that, but I also abide by the saying "there's nothing new under the sun".  Or in this case, "under the moon" because... vampires.

Spoiler

I need to stop making dumb jokes when actually trying to produce an argument.

And I do like vampires from a metaphorical standpoint.  They aren't always handled the best, but I think IS could make them an interesting gameplay element if nothing else.  I'm not as hopped up about story as some can be, though...  If I was, I'd have only ever played each FE Fates path once and probably dropped Revelation before I even finished it.

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I honestly think saying any general concept is "lazy and lame" is, ironically, a lazy and lame argument.  I understand that folks have opinions and all that, but I also abide by the saying "there's nothing new under the sun".  Or in this case, "under the moon" because... vampires.

Hide contents

I need to stop making dumb jokes when actually trying to produce an argument.

And I do like vampires from a metaphorical standpoint.  They aren't always handled the best, but I think IS could make them an interesting gameplay element if nothing else.  I'm not as hopped up about story as some can be, though...  If I was, I'd have only ever played each FE Fates path once and probably dropped Revelation before I even finished it.

"Lame and lazy" isn't exactly a sophisticated stance, but there's no simpler way to describe them.

Damn near every franchise that goes on long enough has vampires. It's because it's something easy to do when you've run out of ideas. It also doesn't help that franchises like Twilight just turned vampires into a sex fetish(Well, they've always been kind of fetish-y, and it more started in the 90s with Interview with a Vampire). Vampires have been in everything. They've been the focus of bad parody comedies, they've been the focus of goofy kids films, they've been the focus of gross teen romance stories, and everything in between. For every one decent vampire property, there are one hundred bad ones.

And that's not to go into what JAPAN has done with vampires. It's not all Hellsing or Castlevania from them. I'd say more often than not lately, Japan's used vampires for creepy lolicon bullshit. And as much as we want to give IS benefit of the doubt, they've definitely been more on the side of adopting generic anime tropes lately. They've used every opportunity to come up with their own creepy lolicon bullshit. I have no doubt that IS would be more on the side of "How can we justify an adult having sex with a child?" with their writing. I can't imagine them doing anything interesting with vampires outside of using it as a crutch to carry more lazy tropes.

I'd have more expectations from IS if they stuck with what they've been doing for decades, and tried to do something new with it.

Edited by Slumber

A January direct is expected since I think they've been doing them for two years already. January is the perfect month to show off what new games are going to their system that year and drum up hype. I'm sure FE will get a small teaser after which we can expect more news to slowly come out from the Famitsu articles and little gameplay videos they've been giving us. We might get something more substantial if it is coming out in spring though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this game has already been cooking for about 2-3 years right? Might be almost done.

2 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

It could still get a trailer...

It could, but I would have expected leaks on FE Switch to come out first. 

But I suppose the leak is from EA, so there's probably still a lot for the Direct.