Nintendo Direct Leaked for January

WolfWind

32 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It could, but I would have expected leaks on FE Switch to come out first. 

But I suppose the leak is from EA, so there's probably still a lot for the Direct. 

Man I hope this Direct doesn't get leaked. Tired of having the surprise spoiled when it comes to these things.

I don't get it. Why are so many people here jumping to the conclusion on no FE Switch on the Direct? This is a leak from EA, and they only know of the Direct because one of their own games is being shown there. They should have no info on what else is being shown in the presumed January Direct.

17 hours ago, Slumber said:

"Lame and lazy" isn't exactly a sophisticated stance, but there's no simpler way to describe them.

And all I wanted was for you to elaborate more, and you did.  Sometimes the simplest explanation isn't always the best.

I don't disagree with most of what you said.  I myself believe Twilight is a joke of a book/movie that's meant only to titillate (can think of no better word to use) young girls with dark fantasies, so I understand the fear.  I say that even knowing some who are into it, both ironically and unironically.

Though I also do genuinely enjoy Awakening and Fates.  I think there's more to those than lolicons and hamfisted memes, even if some fans (not referring to you or anyone else here when I say this, btw) were content to try to bash it into my head that they were the worst games ever and that people who enjoyed their stories and characters were objectively wrong.  So I guess while you fear that IS will turn it into a vampire lolicon fetish fest - a fear that I can understand and even empathize with - I just am more optimistic about what they could do with the vampire/Gothic horror aspect.

I mean, if I had any say, I'd want them to go for maybe a different inspiration... particularly one that isn't done too often, or at least not as often as feudal Japan, Gothic horror, or medieval Europe.  Heck, this whole "leak" just came from some 4chan poster.  The only reason we're even discussing it is because we literally have nothing else to refer to with this game.  Even if it is true, it could just be another "Fire Emblem on Mars" type of deal; just a pitch that got scrapped.  But I am content to receive anything that has the potential to innovate the gameplay, even if it isn't ideal.

Lust is just an integral part of vampire lore. Even Dracula had an oft forgetten (literally and in the book's storyline) harem of women that he kept around his castle since he could indulge in his "sinful" fantasies freely on account of being damned anyway.

Vampires are sort of the antithesis of Jesus in their base creation, so being murderous, blood-sucking, greedy, hedonists is part and parcel. It just became more popular to look at the tragic side of it in that victims could be turned vampire against their will. (like Mina in Dracula)

That's more or less Twilight's handling of it, and it hit a nerve with lots of people, though with a sprinkling of her own lore (such as the sparkling...lol). 

Vampires aren't new, and they can't really be considered a fad so much as a piece of folklore that is just well loved for being so much denser than most and allowing so many angles to tackle it.

22 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

And all I wanted was for you to elaborate more, and you did.  Sometimes the simplest explanation isn't always the best.

I don't disagree with most of what you said.  I myself believe Twilight is a joke of a book/movie that's meant only to titillate (can think of no better word to use) young girls with dark fantasies, so I understand the fear.  I say that even knowing some who are into it, both ironically and unironically.

Though I also do genuinely enjoy Awakening and Fates.  I think there's more to those than lolicons and hamfisted memes, even if some fans (not referring to you or anyone else here when I say this, btw) were content to try to bash it into my head that they were the worst games ever and that people who enjoyed their stories and characters were objectively wrong.  So I guess while you fear that IS will turn it into a vampire lolicon fetish fest - a fear that I can understand and even empathize with - I just am more optimistic about what they could do with the vampire/Gothic horror aspect.

I mean, if I had any say, I'd want them to go for maybe a different inspiration... particularly one that isn't done too often, or at least not as often as feudal Japan, Gothic horror, or medieval Europe.  Heck, this whole "leak" just came from some 4chan poster.  The only reason we're even discussing it is because we literally have nothing else to refer to with this game.  Even if it is true, it could just be another "Fire Emblem on Mars" type of deal; just a pitch that got scrapped.  But I am content to receive anything that has the potential to innovate the gameplay, even if it isn't ideal.

I don't have any confidence that these leaks are true. I've never, ever, ever seen leaks handled like this. It's ALWAYS "Take these bits of information that I have since I only work on this specific part of the game". Much like how actors barely even know what the movie they're making is about until they see it, game developers generally don't have a clear idea of what they're making until the product is complete. I've never seen anyone go "Oh yeah, I have this contact at this company, let me ask them about every single aspect of this game". Especially this far away from release. You'd have to be the director of the game to know about damn near every aspect of the game like this. I doubt any game director would leak their own game like this. It'd be career suicide. 

The way the leaks are handled only makes it more suspect to me. Any time the leaker says something that the fandom doesn't like, she shows up an update or two later re-explaining the thing people didn't like that makes them like it more. Compare these leaks versus the Pokemon Sun/Moon leaks. The leaker there posted riddles/vague descriptions, and if people didn't like an aspect, it was more or less tough shit. 

There's a reason I'm talking about it here and not the leak thread. People are obviously having fun there and I don't want to rain on their parade. But I don't put stock in them, and if they turned out to be true, I'd be wholly disappointed. 

Edited by Slumber

13 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Lust is just an integral part of vampire lore. Even Dracula had an oft forgetten (literally and in the book's storyline) harem of women that he kept around his castle since he could indulge in his "sinful" fantasies freely on account of being damned anyway.

Vampires are sort of the antithesis of Jesus in their base creation, so being murderous, blood-sucking, greedy, hedonists is part and parcel. It just became more popular to look at the tragic side of it in that victims could be turned vampire against their will. (like Mina in Dracula)

That's more or less Twilight's handling of it, and it hit a nerve with lots of people, though with a sprinkling of her own lore (such as the sparkling...lol). 

Vampires aren't new, and they can't really be considered a fad so much as a piece of folklore that is just well loved for being so much denser than most and allowing so many angles to tackle it.

Thank you good explanation!