Stupid things you have seen the enemies do?

Harvey

So we have a topic that mentions stupid things you once did for every FE game. Now how about stupid things enemies have done for every FE game you have played?

I'll start with my experience with FE12. I mistakenly dragged Malicia to the space that was enough for the warrior from the left side to come and attack her in chapter 22. For some reason, he instead attacked Palla who was just next to Malicia and hardly did any damage to her at all. Maybe normal difficulty has dumbed down AI or something? idk.

I've had cases where the enemy could get an easy kill but they just target literally the worst person they could've targeted and then they get rekt. Seeing the AI fuck up in Fire Emblem is amazing.

Edited by Armagon

16 minutes ago, Raqueswiss said:

20171203-000.jpg.571fdbb4eafa2d3c725d70691a00d5e4.jpgI was doing a Lachesis only run and the enemy sometimes never attack her, resulting into this.

When the fe4 AI has a zero percent hit rate on someone, they just kind of crowd around them without attacking. This has happened to me when i had Levin!sety guard the home castle from all the dracoknights in chapter 9. In fact, A not uncommon argument in favor of tiltyu/levin is that Levin!Sety has such an absurd evade stat that enemies dont always suicide on him, whereas enemies have a small but nonzero hit rate on levin!arther (enough to suicide on him). Note that this does NOT apply if miracle is active that turn, which makes for some fun fin shenanagins in gen 1 of ltcs and such. Another wierd "the ai just has the enemy sit around" situation in fe4 is when you use units to block the castle gate, while a commander is trying to return to summon reinforcements. The commander just stands their frozen until you unblock the path. Abusing this is the easiest way to recruit hanibal.

I've seen the AI in Heroes, especially in Arena, go into infinite loops using assist skills

Ie Hana Rallies Effie, then Effie smites her back two spaces to where she was before, then the next turn they do the same thing.

I was playing FE4 yesterday and not one, not two but THREE Wyvern Knights armed with javelins attacked Febail who has the YEWFELLE I might add from TWO SQUARES away. So I was watching them all kill themselves asking myself "Are you guys stupid or something? Why attack an archer from 2 squares away?" It was funny to watch but really Red Units, REALLY? 

Something  else I love seeing that isn't necessarily stupid is when the enemy all wants to target the same unit, a unit who is going to destroy everybody who attacks him (thinking Ulster, Lex, Sigurd etc). Or the enemy could attack the defenseless mage, but they all gang up on the armor unit that they can't do any damage too because he doesn't have a weapon equipped. Attacking an unshifted Naihala and still getting murdered for their pains.

Yesterday I was playing FE7 and I had Sain and Kent standing side by side, Sain was level 3 and Kent was Level 4, the bandits choose to attack Kent even though they both had swords and no terrain bonuses. I know that's not the most extreme example of dumb AI decisions, but it's still pretty sad.

I saw something in FE8 that I've never seen before recently

in Eirika's route on the chapter where you get Gerik's gang, there was one cavalier who got knocked down to low health, and then he just... decided to run away. That's fairly normal, still silly when it happens, because he wanted to heal on a fort.

But what was weird was when he went around the bottom half of the map and, after approaching the mountains, just... stopped. He started moving less than his full movement per turn, something I've actually never seen the AI do other than to move onto a tile they want, and then when presented with a unit to block one path to the fort he just stopped moving entirely, rather than even bothering to attack. Even when approaching closer he didn't attack until the unit in question was like almost on top of him, then he attacked and got himself killed.

But seriously he probably would have just sat around doing nothing if I left him be, I've never seen the AI act like that before. In retrospect I should have just spared him, haha.

Yesterday I was playing FE7 and I had Sain and Kent standing side by side, Sain was level 3 and Kent was Level 4, the bandits choose to attack Kent even though they both had swords and no terrain bonuses. I know that's not the most extreme example of dumb AI decisions, but it's still pretty sad.

this is actually pretty normal, it's an example of how fucking spiteful FE AI is. If it will die no matter what by attacking someone, and the damage figures and/or hitrates are equivalent, it will attack the person who will gain the least exp from killing them. It's amazing.

Edited by Maritisa

8 hours ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

The FE6 AI, honestly, that whole AI is stupid

How so?

2 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

I was playing FE4 yesterday and not one, not two but THREE Wyvern Knights armed with javelins attacked Febail who has the YEWFELLE I might add from TWO SQUARES away. So I was watching them all kill themselves asking myself "Are you guys stupid or something? Why attack an archer from 2 squares away?" It was funny to watch but really Red Units, REALLY? 

Something  else I love seeing that isn't necessarily stupid is when the enemy all wants to target the same unit, a unit who is going to destroy everybody who attacks him (thinking Ulster, Lex, Sigurd etc). Or the enemy could attack the defenseless mage, but they all gang up on the armor unit that they can't do any damage too because he doesn't have a weapon equipped. Attacking an unshifted Naihala and still getting murdered for their pains.

Man, you should have recorded that footage, it would be SO funny to just watch them.

Well atleast the AI in FE5 is smart right?

1 hour ago, Maritisa said:

when presented with a unit to block one path to the fort he just stopped moving entirely, rather than even bothering to attack.

This seems to be a theme, as I have had cath do the same thing in fe6 when I acidently blocked her objective in chapter 8 (which is really easy to do because the map is full of one tile wide corridors, and the one of the better ways to take on the boss involves armors, plus what I just said about fe4 comander AI.

Edited by sirmola

I've actually noticed that, at least in Awakening, when it appears the A.I. is being dumb, it's actually taking some clever actions built to spite the player. For example, when playing on the side-chapter where you recruit Tiki, you may have noticed that, despite the good amount of units the enemy could attack and do at least some amount of damage too, it will only go after a few select units. That's because, if the A.I. notices that it won't do much damage to any of the available units, it will intentionally waste it's life against the character who needs the experience the least (and/or if their wielding a powerful yet limited weapon, but I'm not certain if thats the case)! Similarly, the enemy may try a suicide attack if it can do a a good chunk of damage against the unit in question, as it expects their allies to finish the job, all because it's expected that the player will restart the chapter if any unit dies.

That being said...

The A.I. will attempt to use the above mentioned strategy of spiting your units... even if there are no other enemies in range, or if their hit rate is 0%. The A.I. is also so stupidly easy to bait in every single game that I'm honesty surprised it hasn't been brought up yet. Honestly, the only times I've seen the A.I. not fall for this trick is in Gaiden/SoV, where the enemy retreats at low health and moves towards any kind of healing it can get, and in Mystery of the Emblem, where (disappointingly) none of the foes are brave/stupid enough to attack a dragon.

22 hours ago, Harvey said:

Man, you should have recorded that footage, it would be SO funny to just watch them.

Well atleast the AI in FE5 is smart right?

Yeah, I agree Harvey. Unfortunately I don't have a video camera, but absolutely I wish I DID have a camera so that I could have captured it and showcased it.

Arion's AI in chapter 9 of FE4 is pretty easy to fuck with. Take Seliph around the back of the castle(Thracia) and Arion will start chasing him and while that's happening clear out most of the dracoknights, Arion stops chasing Seliph then place Seliph 4-5 spaces outside of what the range of the dracoknights will be when they spawn and they'll start heading towards your other units and then you can just take Seliph in from there and grab the castle. The dracoknights will not turn around from what I can tell. I also like when the AI in FE4 just attacks broken ass units like Levin/Ulster/Larcei/Ayra/Seliph and then they just get shit on even when they could be attacking so many other units

The main thing that comes to mind is enemies body-blocking other enemies from getting the chance to attack. Well, aside from the obligatory "attacking the one guy who you have the worst matchup against".

Any time the enemy attacks someone even if they do little or no damage and you counterattack them for more damage.

When mages attack other mages or units that can counter them instead of ones that can't.

Any boss that has 1 range and doesn't move and just sits there and lets you pick them off with ranged attacks.

And I didn't do this I just saw it in a speedrun, but in the first defend chapter of FE7 you can not recruit Dorcas right away and let him move to a specific spot where he'll block all the other enemies from attacking. (Only in hard mode I think.)

GBA healers running right next to your units when they have nobody to heal. It's just as annoying as it is stupid when they block your path doing it...

On 12/3/2017 at 8:02 AM, Harvey said:

How so?

It likes to cut itself off and it doesn't pay attention to damage taken back, case in point, Chapter 16 I've seen Douglas attack Lilina who one-rounded him and he didn't one round, yet he could've attacked other units who did like nothing to him

17 hours ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

It likes to cut itself off and it doesn't pay attention to damage taken back, case in point, Chapter 16 I've seen Douglas attack Lilina who one-rounded him and he didn't one round, yet he could've attacked other units who did like nothing to him

This is the AI prioritizing maximum damage over self-preservation. It's normal in a lot of FE games, but especially the DS ones where it takes priority over avoiding counters.

5 hours ago, X-Naut said:

This is the AI prioritizing maximum damage over self-preservation. It's normal in a lot of FE games, but especially the DS ones where it takes priority over avoiding counters.

Yes, but it's still pretty stupid, imagine if the AI could attempt to replicate the player by trying to maximize damage while keeping itself alive