Megaman 11 announced X1-8 re-releasing on all modern consoles

Jedi

Can I just ask one little question? Sorry if this makes me seem like an action platformer wimp (I'll confess to not being any higher than average here), but are there any form of save states/restore points like in Mega Man Legacy Collection?

I enjoyed MMX1 on my Wii U, and it wasn't too hard, I got through most of it without issue, but for the few real nasty moments, and not having to redo the entire level after losing all my lives to a boss (which is bound to happen at least a few times), restore points removed the old school frustration.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can I just ask one little question? Sorry if this makes me seem like an action platformer wimp (I'll confess to not being any higher than average here), but are there any form of save states/restore points like in Mega Man Legacy Collection?

I enjoyed MMX1 on my Wii U, and it wasn't too hard, I got through most of it without issue, but for the few real nasty moments, and not having to redo the entire level after losing all my lives to a boss (which is bound to happen at least a few times), restore points removed the old school frustration.

There are no save states, so for X1-X3 and X8 you'll have to redo the stages. X4-X6 are much more lenient, though, because you always start from the checkpoint even after losing all lives. Dunno about X7.

Unfortunately, yeah, you'll have to deal with X1-X3's merciless take, but there are a couple of ways to exploit the game to make it easier (by getting more lives):

X1: Armored Armadillo's stage has a couple of bat enemies with high chances of dropping a life-up. Farming on the mine cart section is very fruitful.

X2: Not so sure about this now, but iirc Bubble Crab is great for maxing your E-Tanks and Wheel Gator/Wire Sponge's stages have easy life-ups to take. (PS: Yeah, Wire Sponge's has a life up early on his stage, on the above platforms right when it starts raining, that you can farm at leisure. Wheel Gator also has one, but it's harder to get).

X3: Crush Crawfish has a part on his stage where you earn an extra life (maybe even two, it's been a while since I've played X3), right after you enter his ship. It's kind of far into the stage though.

X8: I think you can buy extra lives, but it has a limit.

Edited by Rapier

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is a Rookie Hunter mode for all the games to make them overall easier for you.

55 minutes ago, Rapier said:

So, who else is having their hopes, dreams and ego shattered by X Challenge? :V

I haven't gotten to it yet, mostly been replaying everything and enjoying actually owning X8 and able to dig into it properly.

Also

I thought the miniboss would fall in Zero's head for a second (it happened with me on X1, except it fell on X's toe and instantly killed him. Yay)

X7 has no excuse for being such a trainwreck in game designing. X5 also has no excuse for some things they did, too.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

I haven't gotten to it yet, mostly been replaying everything and enjoying actually owning X8 and able to dig into it properly.

Also

Oh neat. I'm sure players were in awe about this 3D reimagining of the X1 prologue stage. ...and how poorly this one played by comparison. The poor devs must have known just how lacking this game was. Can't be a nice feeling having to send out a product in such a state.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Also

Wow.

How did that get past quality assurance/testing? Was X7 rushed at all?

The worst part is that while X7 I've heard failed to make the proper transition from 2D to 3D, an issue multiple franchises had to deal with, you can't use that excuse here. This scene is entirely 2D gameplay, the heart and soul of Rockman. 

On 7/27/2018 at 7:36 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wow.

How did that get past quality assurance/testing? Was X7 rushed at all?

The worst part is that while X7 I've heard failed to make the proper transition from 2D to 3D, an issue multiple franchises had to deal with, you can't use that excuse here. This scene is entirely 2D gameplay, the heart and soul of Rockman. 

I don't really recall X7s dev time, the main rushed game is X6 but that game is at least built on an already existing good engine.

At least this port fixed X7s horrendous load times.

X8 is fun, I never got the chance to properly dig into it when I borrowed it from a friend and now I'm just like "this is fun if a bit tough."

Edited by Jedi

I'd like to think X7 is the trainwreck we know because it was their first time going into 3D territory, but it wouldn't justify the horrendous level design, boss fights, voice acting (when X8 was infinitely better) and... well, I guess that was it.

X8 is one of my favorite X games, if not my second/third favorite. I was discussing about how it has such a strangely serious and deep tone compared to the other games. I have no idea what got through their heads when they decided to make a game referencing biblical themes, philosophical dialogues and a more complex story out of a whim.

I swear, I'll play X7 some time. I need to experience that trainwreck firsthand.

8 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I'd like to think X7 is the trainwreck we know because it was their first time going into 3D territory, but it wouldn't justify the horrendous level design, boss fights, voice acting (when X8 was infinitely better) and... well, I guess that was it.

X8 is one of my favorite X games, if not my second/third favorite. I was discussing about how it has such a strangely serious and deep tone compared to the other games. I have no idea what got through their heads when they decided to make a game referencing biblical themes, philosophical dialogues and a more complex story out of a whim.

I swear, I'll play X7 some time. I need to experience that trainwreck firsthand.

Lemme give you some advice for when you play X7, when you get X get all his gear it makes end game actually kinda fun in comparison to doing it with the other two.

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Lemme give you some advice for when you play X7, when you get X get all his gear it makes end game actually kinda fun in comparison to doing it with the other two.

Doesn't X just break the game with his insane buster damage?

Edited by Rapier

Just now, Rapier said:

Doesn't X just break the game with his insane buster damage?

Yeah but his armor adds even more hilarity.

also, I've heard bad things about Axl's annoying charging mechanic for the copy shot and rescuable reploids. A friend of mine told me to play on auto charge due to that.

Can I just say that I love how Collection 1 has an achievement called "He's actually called Vava" for playing in both languages? That's so cute.

Getting used to playing Zero in X4 is so rough after the Zero and ZX series. You are so much more flexible in those games. Maybe Omega got the inferior body after all. There also seems to be no consistent rule for how often I can hit a boss until their invincibility triggers. Sometimes I can hit them twice, other times it will trigger after the first hit.

But it's fascinating to see that the moves you learn are actually useful, unlike their counterparts in the Zero series which were basically never worth using over Zero's core attacks.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Can I just say that I love how Collection 1 has an achievement called "He's actually called Vava" for playing in both languages? That's so cute.

Getting used to playing Zero in X4 is so rough after the Zero and ZX series. You are so much more flexible in those games. Maybe Omega got the inferior body after all. There also seems to be no consistent rule for how often I can hit a boss until their invincibility triggers. Sometimes I can hit them twice, other times it will trigger after the first hit.

But it's fascinating to see that the moves you learn are actually useful, unlike their counterparts in the Zero series which were basically never worth using over Zero's core attacks.

Yeah Zeros moveset in 4 in particular is pretty iconic and is probably why it's always part of his moveset in crossovers.

SNK vs Capcom chaos used Zero Zero and oddly focused on the cyber elves aspect above everything else which was kinda weird though.

And here I was thinking that X4's Zero was pretty much the pinnacle of flexibility. I can understand that the Zero series' is much more useful with the buster, but often it just lacks Zero's convenient moveset from X4 (and, to an extent, X5), save for Zero 2, which.... well, recycles some of these abilities anyway. My issue is just with the dash cancel mechanic that allows you to make mincemeat of anything in your path, I'd be pretty content with it overall if it wasn't for that.

The only abysmal Zero imo is X7's, but iirc X8's is also clanky and deals almost null (ha) damage, particularly in X8, where enemies have shields that resist three whole hits from his saber before breaking and allowing him to deal any damage.

On another note, I convinced myself to try X7. It's pretty clear they didn't know how to execute their ideas for a 3D X series game yet. Some parts feel like Legends 1 (which was an ok game for its time), but worse. The characters feel heavy, the camera often hides stuff from you, the level design is questionable. It's the opposite of X6, which is a bad game on a solid engine. Here, the engine is bad, some of the ideas are good on paper but on execution it failed miserably. Gladly X8 is an overall huge improvement on every aspect X7 failed to deliver.

You know what, Capcom could just throw money at Inti Creates for a new X game and fiddle with their thumbs on the meantime. It's a guaranteed success and return income.

Edited by Rapier

2 hours ago, Rapier said:

And here I was thinking that X4's Zero was pretty much the pinnacle of flexibility. I can understand that the Zero series' is much more useful with the buster, but often it just lacks Zero's convenient moveset from X4 (and, to an extent, X5), save for Zero 2, which.... well, recycles some of these abilities anyway. My issue is just with the dash cancel mechanic that allows you to make mincemeat of anything in your path, I'd be pretty content with it overall if it wasn't for that.

The only abysmal Zero imo is X7's, but iirc X8's is also clanky and deals almost null (ha) damage, particularly in X8, where enemies have shields that resist three whole hits from his saber before breaking and allowing him to deal any damage.

On another note, I convinced myself to try X7. It's pretty clear they didn't know how to execute their ideas for a 3D X series game yet. Some parts feel like Legends 1 (which was an ok game for its time), but worse. The characters feel heavy, the camera often hides stuff from you, the level design is questionable. It's the opposite of X6, which is a bad game on a solid engine. Here, the engine is bad, some of the ideas are good on paper but on execution it failed miserably. Gladly X8 is an overall huge improvement on every aspect X7 failed to deliver.

You know what, Capcom could just throw money at Inti Creates for a new X game and fiddle with their thumbs on the meantime. It's a guaranteed success and return income.

X8 Zero has multiple weapons and the Sigma Blade, he has plenty to destroy the game with.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

X8 Zero has multiple weapons and the Sigma Blade, he has plenty to destroy the game with.

I didn't count Zero's Infinity +1 Sword because it's like saying X destroys everything with his Ultimate Strike from the Ultimate Armor. Base Zero is barebones, contrary to the rest, unfortunately.

Also, if there's something good about X7 that I must admit, is this dialogue exchange with Snipe Anteator:

Spoiler
(X continues until he finds Snipe Anteator.)

Snipe Anteator: Hohohoh! Splendid! Even better than expected!

X: How long must this madness go on!

Snipe Anteator: Hohoho! Let me ask you - how long has this madness been going on?

X: ?!

Snipe Anteator: The annals of history contain endless records of war... The "madness" will never end.

X: You're wrong! We can create a world without war. Utopia is not just a dream!

Snipe Anteator: You can't build a utopia on top of the graves of rebels like myself.

X: But... Even so... I... I must follow my beliefs!

(X fights and defeats Snipe Anteator and teleports back to base.)

A similar one is X and Bamboo Pandamonium.

Edited by Rapier

The Double X challenge sure is rough. The Mega Buster seems to have really been nerfed for this mode, so If you don't know all the weaknesses those bosses take ages to take down. And they probably should have had health refills between matches. Or at least don't heal the bosses when you die. It's frustrating starting a match with a fraction of your health, knowing it won't be enough to last you to the end.

I wish I had known that I could simply unlock a "practice mode" by breezing through the mode on Easy. That should make things a lot easier. And hey, it means I can already fight whatever boss I want on any difficulty I want, even if I haven't reached them yet.