When will laguz be added to heroes?

Dragoncat

Seriously, I like them more than manaketes, and it's completely unfair to just have manaketes while neglecting other shapeshiters. Heck, is it just me, or is Tellius getting the short end of the stick anyway? Seems like the vast majority of characters added are from other FEs. Even the GBA games have more representation, I'm pretty sure.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Leif, on a lonely island ...

If they were to be anything like Dragons, with a unique icon and play style and all, there'd need to be a lot of thought put into the concept. Dragons work well right now because 1) There's a decent amount of them that they could use starting out and 2) They're distinctive enough of a species from the other shapeshifters that they don't need much effort to stand out.

Implementing all the shapeshifters would take some time in order to separate them into their own respective species-related category as well as in regards to separating them from the dragons and non-shifters. Take Fates' shifters for example. You've got a Fox and a Wolf. Do they get their own unique icon/are they treated differently? Or do they get lumped into one category of "Flightless Furries." Expanding on that, using Tellius as a reference, would other Wolves like Nailah and Volug share a unit type with Keaton or is Keaton not considered the same as the Tellius Laguz? And THEN you've got shifters, but with wings. They're both Laguz and Fliers. How much would they share in common with the Fliers already in the game? Would they be able to benefit from regular Flier buffs? And that's not even going into the subcategeories of the Bird Tribes.

TLDR, Laguz/Shifters are plentiful and varied, which means there would need to be a lot of work deciding who goes where and how.

2 minutes ago, Kurrin said:

If they were to be anything like Dragons, with a unique icon and play style and all, there'd need to be a lot of thought put into the concept. Dragons work well right now because 1) There's a decent amount of them that they could use starting out and 2) They're distinctive enough of a species from the other shapeshifters that they don't need much effort to stand out.

Laguz and other shapeshifters only need a single icon for their Strike weapon type, which is effectively a physical Breath. That's it.

Give each body type a different color, and you can even prevent different types from inheriting the wrong weapons. I still vote for blue for bird tribe, green for beast tribe, red for dragon tribe, and colorless for herons to match their magic weaknesses.

Taguels can be bucketed with beast tribe, etc.

52 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Seriously, I like them more than manaketes, and it's completely unfair to just have manaketes while neglecting other shapeshiters. Heck, is it just me, or is Tellius getting the short end of the stick anyway? Seems like the vast majority of characters added are from other FEs. Even the GBA games have more representation, I'm pretty sure.

Thracia and FE4 have less representation in Heroes atm. I think Radiant Dawn exclusive characters are limited to Sanaki though.

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Laguz and other shapeshifters only need a single icon for their Strike weapon type, which is effectively a physical Breath. That's it.

Give each body type a different color, and you can even prevent different types from inheriting the wrong weapons. I still vote for blue for bird tribe, green for beast tribe, red for dragon tribe, and colorless for herons to match their magic weaknesses.

Taguels can be bucketed with beast tribe, etc.

This.

And I don't see why not to put the birds with the fliers.

3 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Thracia and FE4 have less representation in Heroes atm. I think Radiant Dawn exclusive characters are limited to Sanaki though.

Yeah, true. I meant the ones that were localized.

Incorporating laguz will likely involve tweaking a few mechanics which is a bit trickier than adding a new skill. Adding dragons is easy enough, and I'm sure we're bound to get more eventually. Dragon teams will be scary once Hone Dragons is a thing. They're probably arguing over how they're going to sort out the color business. Logically it makes sense to have like - lion = green, cat = blue, and tiger = red...but it also just seems kinda silly that they'd be effective against each other since their attacks are the same strike, and you can't use magic as an excuse. Then again, the dragon breaths aren't color locked...

Who knows? There are still plenty of characters left that probably "need" to be added before the laguz. Micky come on. RIP Leif. It'll probably happen eventually, but I'm sure it's not super high on their list of priorities.

45 minutes ago, Doodlebug Four said:

Make them stone users like the Manaketes and have them in different colors like the Tome users. Bird Laguz can be flyers.

This. It's likely that all of the non-dragons will use the same pool of stones and the dragons will just be treated as Manaketes.

As for when they'll finally be implemented, who knows? I wouldn't be surprised it if it was somewhere around the one year anniversary of Heroes, though.

I don't like manaketes much and vastly prefer laguz myself. When will they be added, IS, seriously...? I want Ranulf really bad. Tibarn is awesome too.

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I think Radiant Dawn exclusive characters are limited to Sanaki though.

And Sanaki isn't even RD exclusive. She appeared in PoR too, just not playable.

Just now, Arcanite said:

Adding an entire new weapon type sound like some 3.0 type stuff

How high did these Laguz people score on CYL anyway

Micaiah was number 9, I think.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Rezzy with her sick burns again.

How can one even be so good?

My experience as a doctor give me experience with both sickness and burns.

44 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Incorporating laguz will likely involve tweaking a few mechanics which is a bit trickier than adding a new skill.

Not really. They're no different than dragons that target Def instead of Res by default.

45 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Logically it makes sense to have like - lion = green, cat = blue, and tiger = red...but it also just seems kinda silly that they'd be effective against each other since their attacks are the same strike, and you can't use magic as an excuse.

There's no reason for blue magic to be effective against swords, either, but it's there. That's just how this game works.

And any color attribution other than bird tribe = blue, beast tribe = green, and dragon tribe = red is entirely arbitrary. (This color attribution is literally the only one that isn't arbitrary.)

You can't even say that "axes are the power option so lions should be green" because fire is the power option for magic, and fire is red.

48 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Then again, the dragon breaths aren't color locked...

As I mentioned, if you make each body type its own color, you don't have to worry about weapon inheritance because everything simply just works. Blue Strike would consist of only beaks and talons, Green Strike fangs and claws, and Red Strike physical breaths. Colorless Strike would be offensive Galldr.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I guess I should have become a chemistry teacher. Why did I choose history again…

Because history's interesting

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Colorless Strike would be offensive Galldr.

And deprive us of Reyson punching tome users?

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

That’s what his personal A skill is for.

Unit can counterattack regardless of distance. Does not transform when counterattacking at range = 1. Deals damage as if weapon were a staff.

33 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's no reason for blue magic to be effective against swords, either, but it's there. That's just how this game works.

And any color attribution other than bird tribe = blue, beast tribe = green, and dragon tribe = red is entirely arbitrary. (This color attribution is literally the only one that isn't arbitrary.)

You can't even say that "axes are the power option so lions should be green" because fire is the power option for magic, and fire is red.

This definitely makes more sense. The only reason I offered a random alternative is because if IS does decide to categorize manaketes and dragons as the same thing, they run into the problem that all other dragons would be one color while manaketes are spread out arbitrarily. (Or at least that's how it looks to me. IDK if there's an actual rhyme or reason behind it.)

I personally would like for beast units to be colorless. There’s currently no 1 range colorless units and I think they’d be ideal for that. Although that would bring up an issue of all beast units being countered by raven tome users

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I think it just takes time. The most popular series are released and we just need to wait and be patient for the rest.

47 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I guess I should have become a chemistry teacher. Why did I choose history again…

So you can assign Radiant Dawn as extra credit. Students can better connect with concepts like discrimination and nationalism on a deeper level when they can form emotional attachment to faces they can see on the screen and/or experience it in their shoes.

American history was generally my least favorite history class in grade school. The only part that I actually enjoyed and did not find it utterly boring was WWII. Medal of Honor gave me a glimpse of what being a soldier was like. Advance Wars gave me rudimentary understanding of the importance of the economy to finance a war. The WWII part of the class was basically learning more about the campaign behind Medal or Honor and the emphasis on American economic might lead me to conclude that Colin is the best CO in Advance Wars since he can double his money as one of his abilities (Colin actually plays more like the Soviet Union where his units are cheaper and weaker, but I did not really learn about the Soviet Union until later and subsequently abused infantry and mech spam).

40 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Deals damage as if weapon were a staff.

Nooooo! Why would you do that to them? They have already suffered enough, so just let them do full damage so players do not massacre them for Feathers. Make herons great again!

Edited by XRay

3 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

(Or at least that's how it looks to me. IDK if there's an actual rhyme or reason behind it.)

No one really knows.

My theory is that little Tiki is red because Fire Dragon (default Flametongue+ and not Mist Breath). Big Tiki is red because Tiki. Fae is green because Divine Dragon (Naga is green despite having a blue casting circle). Ninian is blue because Ice Dragon. Corrin is blue because bubbles. Nowi is blue because sure, why not. Lightning Breath+. Sure. Why not.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

American history was generally my least favorite history class in grade school. The only part that I actually enjoyed and did not find it utterly boring was WWII.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Hearts of Iron were the two games that led me towards fascination with military history, starting with WWII.