Fire emblem heroes won google play award for best game of 2017

Harvey

IMG_4599.jpg

Shocking how a FE mobile game is able to outdo SMR and Go unlike the main games.

Guess I have to take it with a grain of salt and accept that there is demand for Heroes even though it follows a gacha mechanic that I despise of.

It's well earned, the dev team has been really good at steadily improving the game and listening to player feedback. I would say it's easily the best mobile game that Nintendo has released. 

As much as I'm not a mobile game fan, even to me it's readily apparent the massive difference in quality that Heroes has compared to most gacha games like this. 

The developers are clearly listening to feedback, and seem to be having fun with the game. So yeah, it probably deserves it. 

But again, I'm not a mobile game fan. 

It's certainly well earned. It's probably the best mobile game I've played. It has a perfect balance between strategy and fun, unlike most other Gacha games, and games in general.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Shocking how a FE mobile game is able to outdo SMR and Go unlike the main games.

Go was popular for a couple of months than it rapidly lost attention. FE Heroes has been consistent with its popularity, thanks to its frequent updates and banners. It's not too surprising.

Forgive me for being ignorant but what's SMR again?

Super Mario Run failed to grab folks' attention because most of the game was locked behind a paywall.  Go just fell out of popularity... which is probably a combination of the fact that rural communities/less populated cities got kind of shafted in the Pokemon they'd receive and that the devs didn't really do much for the game post-release.

Because FEH is a gacha game and thus doesn't have actual levels locked behind a paywall, and because the team behind it keeps updating it and listening to feedback, it's not much of a surprise it's so successful.  Not to mention a higher production quality than a lot of mobile games out there...

Even though I haven't played FEH much recently, and as much as I really don't care for gaming awards...  I'm glad FEH got recognition for being a quality mobile game.

I am not 100% sure, but Pokemon Go isn't eligible because it was a mid 2016 game. Super Mario Run was a nominee since it came out in late 2016.

Anyway, I don't know about the competitive, but I agree that the game deserves the award.

I think it's only the best game in Japan though. Europe has a different game from what I can see.

Heroes was my very first kind of game I've played yet, so I can't compare it with other games.

I have to say it took me a while to start it because I was very sceptical. I don't like games for mobile phones. 

The more I was positive surprised when I finally played this game. It offers lots of things you don't even see in regular parts like the skill system and the introduction of the SP stat.

Furthermore more stuff is added due to all the updates, so there's no real moment when it becomes boring.

Of course you can have more or less luck with your pulls... but I guess it's the purpose of a gacha game.

Keep in mind it's a game for free! And you don't need to invest anything unless you are really eager. IS still has to make money with sth. 

I can't say if Heroes is the best gacha game of 2017, but it's still a very good game overall. Better than several regular parts.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

8 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Go was popular for a couple of months than it rapidly lost attention. FE Heroes has been consistent with its popularity, thanks to its frequent updates and banners. It's not too surprising.

My problem with heroes isn't its region locked issues or the main game itself. The main problem is the fact of how this game can make Nintendo start going into EA territory by using microtransactions to make it a pay to win game. Already there are a lot of characters that are overpowered as hell.

And where is IS listening to the feedback? Lots of artwork for FE characters are bad to downright horrible and I haven't seen IS deal with that?

EDIT: But whatever, I'm starting to get ranty here so I'll stop right here and move on.

Edited by Harvey

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

And where is IS listening to the feedback? Lots of artwork for FE characters are bad to downright horrible and I haven't seen IS deal with that?

Examples of IS listening to fans' feedback in Heroes:

• When the game launched, there was an event to halve training tower costs from what they were "supposed" to be.  The reaction to the "real" costs was so negative that the half cost event was made permanent
  • There was no ability to change unit positions when the game launched and many called this out.  This was fixed in April.
  • While there are many not happy with IS's solution, the Voting Gauntlet multipliers are there because fans thought the competitions were too onesided.
  • Skill Inheritance and Weapon refinery are specifically there to buff old units and combat powercreep
  • Staff users especially have gotten massive buffs.   Previously, staves were considered the worst weapon type by most fans, and they have since been changed so that they have powerful AoE debuffs, can add a weapon effect that either cancels their damage penalty or prevents the enemy from countering, and have had their healing abilities buffed to scale off their Atk.
  • Tempests have been refined to counter the problems people had with "Dark Clouds over Awakening," with a point bonus to downscale tedium and bonus units receiving inherent buffs to make them basically guaranteed to be useful.
  • Rhajat avoided being a second Ayra debacle because IS had the sense to warn fans this time after the negative reaction the Ayra debacle received due to the lack of warning.  
  • Regarding art specifically, there has been exactly one instance of art being changed (swimsuit Gaius) and that seems to be due the artist noticing they goofed and made Gaius neglect his bowstring, and giving IS a fixed version.  They can't just ask someone else to replace an older art or something, that's a bit disrespectful to the art and artist they originally accepted.

The game's still got some problems (lopsided unit pool that's only getting worse as time goes on, some stuff concerning natures), but IS has been addressing complaints.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I've had a lot of fun with Heroes over a surprisingly long period of time. The game is periodically frustrating and has its flaws, but that can be said about any game. I'd also say it's generous enough to play without having to spend a single dime, and that it even heightens the experience, which is how I choose to go about it.

At the risk of sounding entitled and greedy, I wonder if this'll be celebrated somehow in the game proper, maybe with some orbs.

FEH is the only mobile game I've played this year so I can't comment on whether the award was well deserved.

Though I will say Fire Emblem Heroes is a top 5 Fire Emblem game to be tbh. A Fire Emblem game that has access to around millions of hours of player data and statistics. While a good portion of that data is used to "turn players into payers", it's also used to balance the game and create incredible challenges that have answers to the S tier meta threats. Now imagine a main series game with maps and units that meticulously designed.

12 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Regarding art specifically, there has been exactly one instance of art being changed (swimsuit Gaius) and that seems to be due the artist noticing they goofed and made Gaius neglect his bowstring, and giving IS a fixed version.  They can't just ask someone else to replace an older art or something, that's a bit disrespectful to the art and artist they originally accepted.

So what they can instead do is give a promotion of that same character and use a different artist so in that sense, it WON'T be disrespectful. It worked for Lyn and Ike so why not for others?

Anyways, it still sucks that the main games can never make any more revenue than what this game is making which makes it all the more reason to be such a pessimist about it.

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

So what they can instead do is give a promotion of that same character and use a different artist so in that sense, it WON'T be disrespectful. It worked for Lyn and Ike so why not for others?

All three Lyns (Regular, Bridal Blessings, and Brave Heroes) are drawn by the same person (Yamada Kotaro, the artist for Hasha no Tsurugi).  Also worth noting Lyn, Roy, Lucina, and Ike's Brave Heroes outfits were the result of them winning a series wide popularity poll.

And the way you phased it before, you made it sound like you wanted them to replace art that was already in the game, not add seasonal variants.  

Just a heads up that Fire Emblem Heroes managed to get an Google Play Best of 2017 Award in North America along with Super Mario Run and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp. It looks like Fire Emblem Heroes is getting the multiple region awards since we only know Japan and North America version got the award.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Also, tomorrow's Game Awards may award Fire Emblem Heroes Mobile game of the year. Echoes is also up for Handheld game of the year, but Samus Returns has it beat in my imo.

Like I said, main games can't win a single award unlike Heroes...kinda sad. Really makes me wonder why IS even needs to make main FE games when Heroes alone makes a chop full of cash for them.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Really makes me wonder why IS even needs to make main FE games when Heroes alone makes a chop full of cash for them.

*sigh* because not everyone wants to play a mobile game. You yourself said you didn't like Heroes. Would you want IS to just drop FE and exclusively keep updating Heroes? 

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

*sigh* because not everyone wants to play a mobile game. You yourself said you didn't like Heroes. Would you want IS to just drop FE and exclusively keep updating Heroes? 

When you consider that Echoes has a questionable sales figures that no one but IS knows whether or not they sold as expected, how the IP itself came to its end before Awakening and how the main games maintain their difficulty of almost being hard, Heroes hardly has elements that are faithful to the main games nor does it do anything that borrows from them except a few things.

Hit rates, importance of each stat, unit judgement and map designs are what make the main games stand out and become memorable. What is so noteworthy in Heroes? All it does is removing everything from the main games and just doing its own thing hardly capturing any feel of those games except characters. Its just a game that is suppose to lure the gamers into the main games and so far, even that isn't working out because again, Echoes..we don't know how much it sold.

I want to try out Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn but its as of now hard to do. So is Heroes suppose to make IS remake those games so that we can play them or is the reason the characters from PoR and RD exist because of cashgrab?

Edited by Harvey

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

When you consider that Echoes has a questionable sales figures that no one but IS knows whether or not they sold as expected, how the IP itself came to its end before Awakening and how the main games maintain their difficulty of almost being hard, Heroes hardly has elements that are faithful to the main games nor does it do anything that borrows from them except a few things.

Hit rates, importance of each stat, unit judgement and map designs are what make the main games stand out and become memorable. What is so noteworthy in Heroes? All it does is removing everything from the main games and just doing its own thing hardly capturing any feel of those games except characters. Its just a game that is suppose to lure the gamers into the main games and so far, even that isn't working out because again, Echoes..we don't know how much it sold.

I doubt the future of the series hinges on Echoes. They only made the game because development on Fates finished before Nintendo would allow them to work on an "NX" game, Echoes was just to pass the time, really. The game could have actually bombed and they wouldn't have changed course, they still wanted to do a game on the new hardware. 

If anything the success of Fire Emblem Heroes bodes extremely well for the franchise. Pump that money into the new console engine, make a spectacle of the first HD game. You can't sequelize Heroes, and as I understand it this model of game is doomed to fall into obscurity even with years of updates. There's no future in just updating Heroes, we know this, they know this.

12 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Hit rates, importance of each stat, unit judgement and map designs are what make the main games stand out and become memorable. What is so noteworthy in Heroes?

Literally the only thing of those that's not in Heroes is hitrates.  Every stat in Heroes does something, even though there's only 5 main stats.  Every unit has strengths and weaknesses.  And Heroes does a lot with its small grids in terms of map design.  

15 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I want to try out Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn but its as of now hard to do. So is Heroes suppose to make IS remake those games so that we can play them or is the reason the characters from PoR and RD exist because of cashgrab?

Just because X characters are in Heroes doesn't mean we're getting a remake, lol.  Literally every game in the series has characters in Heroes at this point.  

PoR and RD being hard to find is not Heroes's problem.