The Ninth Gauntlet

bethany81707

“Enduring Love…” Florina remarked, looking across the participants of the newest Gauntlet in complete bewilderment. Lyn looked over her shoulder at the participants.

“...Can I ask for a redefinition?” Lyn asked, looking at Florina confusedly.

“I’m sure Beth knows what she’s doing. Our Beth certainly did,” Florina muttered, walking away from the board.

“...I’m less convinced,” Lyn murmured, following behind her.

---

Team Rhajat

Rhajat smirked proudly, noticing her father Hayato talking with Selkie. Why that would be the case, she hardly cared.

“Hey, Selkie!” Rhajat called, waving. Selkie jumped, and began growling.

“...What did I do?” Rhajat asked nervously, looking towards her father.

“You’ve been telling people about that envoy of the gods thing. There are a few too many people who want to worship her here, and at least one that tried to kidnap her and extort her godly powers. She’d like you to stop,” Hayato told her. Rhajat growled herself.

“I haven’t said anything about it in a while. No way is that going to help. Though… after the Gauntlet, I’ll see if I can’t figure out how to solve this mess through magic,” Rhajat told the pair. Selkie grinned. Hayato frowned.

“...I’ll see to it that you do so in an ethical manner,” Hayato told her.

“Ethicawhat?” Rhajat asked.

---

Team Tharja

“It’s not FAIR! It’s not FAIR!” Camilla’s familiar voice called throughout the castle. The room was quickly isolated and given a wide berth, for Camilla was throwing axes around in her temper tantrum. Tharja ducked one as she approached, and cast a quick spell to stop Camilla from throwing a second.

“...I heard you’re a little annoyed about not being invited,” Tharja told her, grinning. Camilla grimaced, trying her hardest to throw another axe at a nearby target.

“My love for Corrin is the most enduring love anyone ever has! I will love her until she is dead and then continue to love her. Why were those girls picked over me? I don’t even know who they love!” Camilla complained. Tharja smirked.

“...Should we get our revenge on them? Want to join Team Tharja?” she asked, her face disappearing into the shadow of her hair- only her grin was visible. Camilla grinned back.

“You know, that would make me feel better… we’re on,” Camilla told her, holding out a hand. Tharja shook it- they would be destroying the competition in no time.

“...I guess I’ll be coming with?” Noire asked, entering the room with her bow brandished. She smiled in a not-so-apologetic way at Camilla, who had flinched on seeing it.

“...Really, Noire, have you not had enough?” Tharja asked, looking almost worried about her. Noire shrugged with faux confidence.

What I’m really here for is making sure you two don’t annihilate the competition.

---

Team Faye

Kliff looked up from his reading, to see Faye standing above him with a pleading look in her eyes. Kliff returned to his reading, leaving Faye to stare for a few minutes longer. By the time Kliff was almost laughing, Faye finally broke her impasse.

“Are you going to join me or not?” she asked in an annoyed tone. Kliff blinked.

“Not if you ask me like that,” Kliff told her, turning back to his book. Faye grumbled.

“Would you like to join me in the Gauntlet?” Faye asked. Kliff looked between her and his book in mock thought. In truth, he had his answer prepared.

“I’m game. Is Alm the other one?” Kliff asked. Faye looked down, wringing her hands.

“Still don’t have the confidence to face him, hm?” Kliff asked, setting down the book.

“No, that part’s fine. I just… well, I don’t know whether I’m supposed to bring Alm or not. The theme is lovers, but…” Faye told him, holding out the invitation. Kliff took it and read it- unlike the Flier or Dragon gauntlets, there didn’t appear to be any specific stipulations.

“How about a compromise?” someone asked. Kliff and Faye jumped, looking around to find Celica smirking at them.

“Celica? You’d help Faye?” Kliff asked, his hand drifting to his mouth with concern.

“Why wouldn’t I? Faye’s like a little sister to me, isn’t she?” Celica asked, shrugging and smiling in her cute little way. Faye jumped and cheered, running up to hug Celica while repeatedly thanking her, while Kliff was left to wonder whether Faye actually was like a little sister to her.

---

Team Priscilla

“Eternal Love?” Priscilla asked herself, reading the note again. She was definitely participating. But who was the one she loved forever and ever? Her brother? No, everyone else had picked a romantic interest. Probably- she didn’t know Katarina well enough to say. Guy? She liked him, but not so doggedly that she’d call it eternal. After all, she moved on to Erk when it didn’t work out…

“Lady Priscilla!” Camus boomed. Priscilla looked up, smiling as he approached.

“Camus! You heard about the Gauntlet?” Priscilla asked.

“Of course, my liege. You are to be a participant, are you not?” Camus asked. Priscilla smiled politely.

“Apparently… I am not sure why, nor am I sure if I would like to attend,” Priscilla remarked.

“...Sadly, I do not believe declining that easy. However, if you would like, we could show them our strength- a gauntlet can be won by anyone. What does it matter if you’re not qualified?” Camus asked, his hand at his heart. Priscilla smiled.

“I suppose. I don’t feel comfortable approaching Raven and Erk again, considering this gauntlet’s theme. I take it you’ll want to bring Tatiana along with?” Priscilla asked, nervously running her hand through her hair.

“Of course, my liege. You know she fears for my heart,” Camus told her.

“Well, maybe if you stop calling me your liege. But I would love to form a bond with Tatiana… maybe this can help…” Priscilla remarked, running her hands together. Tatiana was… quite territorial.

---

Team Sigurd

“...Did you want us for anything?” Alec asked, looking at Sigurd as he got lost in a daydream. Again.

“Oh, er… right. As you know, I have been invited to participate in the Gauntlet of Eternal Love, as my love for Deirdre is tremendous… ah, Deirdre… her and her long, silken hair…” Sigurd’s explanation of his goal was once again cut short by his admiration of his wife. Alec and Noish looked between each other.

“Sigurd. You’ve been picked for the Gauntlet. Do you want us to assist you?” Noish asked.

“Oh.. right. Yes, er… that would be, er… what was I talking about?” Sigurd asked.

“Focus, Sigurd. I don’t remember you getting nearly this obsessed with Deirdre back in the war,” Noish told him.

“Noish, it’s simple. He’s finally gone and appreciated his wife. Imagine how she must’ve felt being left at the castle, alone, with only little kids for company…” Alec started.

“Alec, you’re not helping!” Noish yelled, turning to him in annoyance.

“Well, sor-ry. It’s true, you know!” Alec told him. Noish shot him another glare.

“Folding,” Alec claimed, holding his hands up in surrender. Noish turned back to Sigurd.

“We will join you, Sigurd. But if this continues, it won’t happen again,” Noish told him sternly.

“Nah, it’s cool, I’ll come back. He’s only in love with his lass, that ain’t a crime,” Alec remarked. Noish shot him another glare.

“Alec, you’re crushing on the consort to the King of Silesse. I’m fairly sure that is a crime. Or at least, the King will see it that way. You know how he feels about her and strange men,” Noish told him. Alec rolled his eyes.

“He shouldn’t hog all the women, then,” Alec scoffed.

---

Team Catria

“Catria! You’re going to be in the Gauntlet?” Est asked. Catria looked up, and smirked. Of course Est would approach her.

“Yes, you’re invited to join Team Catria. Why wouldn’t I pick you and Palla?” Catria asked.

“Because you’re always sulking off on your own. You never hang out with us- or at least, you never do of your own accord!” Est told her, pouting. Catria sighed.

“Admittedly, true… I just don’t have that kind of boundless energy you do. I have no idea how Palla manages it,” Catria remarked. Est shot her a glare, and Catria sighed.

“It’s not an insult, Est. Well… to you, it isn’t,” Catria assured her.

“It isn’t to you either, Catria. I know you’re a bit introverted… Est just doesn’t quite appreciate that,” Palla’s voice sounded. Catria turned, and smiled at Palla.

“...Thanks,” Catria told her, giving a weak smile.

“Don’t mention it. You could use the reassurance sometimes. So what do you say to showing off the might of the scorned sisters?” Palla asked.

“Est was scorned?” Catria asked. Palla chuckled.

“It doesn’t sound as dramatic when you say it like that. But when the three of us are united, we’re unstoppable!” Palla proclaimed. Catria narrowed her eyes.

“...We were up against Minerva. She doesn’t count,” Palla stated, something that didn’t quite reassure Catria. It seemed plenty fine for Est, though.

---

Team Dorcas

“Bartre,” Dorcas stated, calling Bartre out of his duel with Karla. Bartre turned to him, hauling his axe over his shoulder and nearly cleaving Karla’s off.

“What’s up, Dorcas, my man?” Bartre asked.

“...I figured you might want to be my partner in the Gauntlet. Didn’t know anyone else simple enough,” Dorcas told him. Bartre let out a booming laugh.

“A simple challenge for a simple man, I like! Count me in, buddy!” Bartre boomed. He turned to Karla.

“You in?” Bartre asked.

“You kidding? This might actually be fun now I don’t have to deal with that weird girl. Who was she again?” Karla asked, turning to Bartre.

“You mean Peri? You wouldn’t like it if I told you. But I guess this would be fun after that. What do you say, Dorcas?” Bartre asked. Dorcas smirked.

“What about Fir?” Dorcas asked. Bartre looked down.

“Er… you know Karla. You don’t know Fir as well. I think this way seems more like you picked your party,” Bartre remarked.

“You say that after Peri snuck in to Team Karel… but I’m down either way. Not like Natalie can fight,” Dorcas told him, smirking.

---

Team Katarina

“No. Not after last time,” Clarisse told her with a scowl.

It made sense for her to say that. She wasn’t obligated to pitch in. And Katarina hardly wanted to fight so soon either. Being invited to this Gauntlet in the first place just caused her to remember Kris. She… wasn’t particularly happy about that.

“Hey, Katarina!” Cecille called. Katarina looked up, and saw Cecille chatting with a cute-looking girl in pegasus garb. Katarina blinked, and rubbed her eyes.

“It’s Kris!” Cecille exclaimed. Katarina looked closely at the woman. Sure, she had Kris’s blue hair, blue eyes, reassuring face and trained posture, but Katarina was fairly sure Kris was a guy. Though him being a girl would explain a lot…

“Hey, it’s Kat! How’s Kleine?” Kris asked. Katarina turned to Cecille.

“...Kleine? Your sister? She should be alive here, right?” Cecille asked. Katarina shook her head.

“Her name’s Clarisse, and she’s not very happy about this Gauntlet situation. It’s not my fault, but it’s as good as…” Katarina told the two, looking down.

“Oh no. You are not feeling bad about yourself. I have had it with dealing with that downbeat attitude Gharnef and Eremiya beat into you. I am joining you in this Gauntlet, and Cecille, too. And we are going to show you that you can make it out of the first round, this time. I think you’ve got what it takes to win this one,” Kris told her, grabbing her hand to hold quite firmly. Katarina looked into Kris’s confident eyes- there was something here that wasn’t in her Kris. And she was starting to feel that maybe this one might actually be better.

“Then we’ll do it,” Katarina stated, nodding and trying to look nearly as confident.

Team Rhajat versus Team Faye

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 1 of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, from the continent of Moirai, the Black Magician Rhajat and her allies Hayato and Selkie!” Tana commentated. Rhajat appeared with a magical flourish, Hayato and Selkie jumping into the arena behind her.

“And on my right, from the continent of Valentia, the Devoted Heart Faye and her allies Kliff and Celica!” Tana continued, calling Faye to run onto the field, and turn around. In a blast of light, Kliff and Celica appeared at her side, and Celica gave her a quick heal before she readied her own tome. Kliff drew a bow.

“Captains, shake hands, if you’d please?” Tana asked. Rhajat and Tana smiled quite politely at each other as they did so- something that reassured nobody.

“And… begin!” Tana called. Faye’s first Nosferatu blast stopped Rhajat in her tracks- she had been expecting an archer. No matter- a healer would likely be easier to deal with. Hayato prepared a blast of wind as a bit of an obscurer, allowing Selkie to prepare a stealthy pounce. Faye ran backwards, provoking a pounce out of the wolf, only for Kliff to shoot her mid jump. Hayato’s windstorm faltered, and Kliff’s next arrows went to hassle the pair of them. Rhajat shot a wolf tome blast at him, and Kliff smirked. Hayato turned to face Celica, her Ragnarok blasting the pair of mages at once.

“Faye!” Celica called. Faye cast her Physic spell, recovering the energy lost to Celica thanks to her cast. The next blast of Ragnarok burst much more powerfully than the first.

“Rhajat, aim for the healer!” Hayato ordered. Rhajat ran towards her as Celica’s third full-power Ragnarok struck down her father, preparing a wolf to fire. Faye’s Nosferatu blasted her in the face, sending her flying back.

“Thanks for refuelling my healing energy,” Faye laughed.

“The battle is won. The victor is Devoted Heart Faye!” Tana called. Faye tilted her head and smiled, a sight that Rhajat spat towards before leaving.

“...Rhajat, I do not like this attitude…” Hayato gently scolded, only for Rhajat to have disappeared.

“...You shouldn’t have put her in a Deeprealm. No, I am not going to let that go,” Selkie barked. Whatever a Deeprealm was, though, Faye didn’t care, as Alm had come down to congratulate her.

---

Team Tharja versus Team Priscilla

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 2 of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, from the continent of Ylisse, we have the Dark Shadow Tharja and her companions Camilla and Noire!” Elincia called. Tharja’s appearance from magically created shadow was much less warmly received by the audience, and her negative reaction was continued when Camilla swooped in beside her.

“Oh come off it! If I were anyone else, you wouldn’t be complaining!” Tharja called. Elincia coughed.

“And on my right, from the continent of Elibe, we have the Delicate Princess Priscilla, and her companions Camus and Tatiana!” Elincia stated, to get everyone distracted by the elegant opponent. Priscilla waved nervously, turning to Camus and Tatiana- the latter of whom was holding Camus in a mixture of fear and clinginess.

“Captains, please shake hands,” Elincia ordered. Priscilla held out her hand, and Tharja angrily took it for a quick shake.

“...Well, begin!” Elincia called. Tharja’s opening strike knocked Priscilla backwards into Tatiana, knocking both to the ground staggered. Camus lunged forward, Gradivus ready to strike, only for Camilla to dive down and parry his blow.

“Foul wench!” Camus called.

“Dogged knight!” Camilla responded, swinging her axe down. Tatiana pushed Priscilla aside, and launched a Seraphim spell towards Camilla. Camilla took the blow, allowing Camus a strike, but neither blow was decisive enough.

“Sir Camus! Go for Tharja!” Priscilla called. She focused her strength, and lobbed a fire spell over Camus’s head. Unfortunately, it passed over Tharja’s, as well.

“...Any ideas, Tatiana?” Priscilla asked.

“How do you normally take down Camillas when you’re with Camus?” Tatiana asked, with far more venom than strictly necessary.

“Sigurd or Brave Lyn, whoever’s not needed elsewhere,” Priscilla told her.

“...Perhaps we should’ve thought this through… like, why are you here?” Tatiana asked. Priscilla glared at her.

“I’m the team Captain?” Priscilla pointed out. Tatiana rolled her eyes, and turned back to the fight at hand. Camus seemed to be gaining the upper hand on Tharja, but Camilla was still there.

“...Stop. I don’t want to see Camus hurt,” Priscilla stated. Camilla turned to her.

“Darling, this battle is for fun. No one gets hurt,” Camilla laughed.

“...Except if you allow it to. Which you seem to have. Tharja, because our team is poorly matched, I offer to resign and allow you to progress. The alternative is a futile struggle, after all,” Priscilla stated. Tharja tilted her head.

“...No deal,” Tharja stated, readying her magic.

“Deal. The battle is won. Team Tharja will be moving on to the next round at Priscilla’s behest. Be careful, Team Tharja… Faye shall not be so forgiving. And she has an archer,” Elincia told them. Tharja spat as she walked away.

“...Thanks, Elincia… I’m sorry, Camus…” Priscilla muttered.

“Don’t mention it. I know the courage it takes to sheathe your sword against a bloodthirsty opponent,” Elincia stated, turning to report the results.

“...Camus, I don’t think bringing two healers was a great idea in hindsight,” Priscilla told Camus. Camus sighed.

“In the fuss about you two not getting along, I forgot about that part…” Camus remarked.

---

Team Dorcas versus Team Catria

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 3 of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, coming from my own continent of Elibe, we have Mr Serene Warrior Dorcas and his friends, Bartre and Karla!” Florina called. Dorcas waved politely at Florina as he entered the arena, allowing Bartre and Karla to do most of the showmanship.

“And on my right, from the continent of Archanea, we have the Three Whitewings forming up for Team Catria, Palla and Est!” Florina continued, trying her hardest to remember how the team had been introduced last time. The triangle formation was no less impressive with Catria at the lead, even if the symmetry of lances and swords was broken.

“Captains, shake hands, please!” Florina ordered. Dorcas and Catria beamed as they did so- and this time, the audience was prepared to accept it as genuine.

“And… begin!” Florina called. Dorcas brought up his axe, and Catria immediately registered the threat.

“Palla, go for the axes. I’ll knock out Karla!” Catria called. Palla nodded, rushing towards Bartre. Catria soared over Dorcas, and began her lunging at Karla. Est flew forward as her own distraction, angling herself to make the most of her Defence Ploy art- and she was careful to keep her distance from Dorcas to maintain it. Dorcas grinned as she did so, and Est realised too quick what he had in mind.

“Catria!” Est called. She darted past Dorcas, knocking him down, but the Tomahawk was already in the air. Palla darted forward and nudged it over, and Catria shot away from Karla. Est dealt a heavy blow to Karla, sending her to the ground, as Bartre came around and brought his axe down on her. Catria looked between the two remaining foes- axes. She had to make Palla count.

“Palla, deal with Dorcas!” Catria ordered. She turned to face Bartre- not an opponent she could afford to underestimate, yet with the triangle disadvantage, she was seeing a hard time ahead.

“Come on, Catria…” Catria muttered, looking for her opening. She lunged, and Bartre swung right back. Catria retreated, only for the shock of the wound to hit her and knock her from her pegasus.

“The battle is over. The victor is Serene Heart Dorcas!” Florina called.

“You did well for a bunch of lancies,” Bartre remarked.

“You did not bad yourself,” Catria remarked, smirking.

“If only we could do better…” Est mumbled.

---

Team Katarina versus Team Sigurd

“Welcome to Round 1, Battle 4 of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, from the continent of Archanea, we have the Wayward One Katarina and her comrades Kris and Cecille!” Clair called. Kris dove down, and the two other girls jumped off, Cecille onto her horse down below. Katarina was left trying to get some feeling back into her legs.

“And on my right, from the continent of Jugdral, we have the Holy Knight Sigurd and his comrades Noish and Alec!” Clair continued, as Sigurd came by with his knights. Katarina counted two swords and a lance on Alec. Kris has a lance and Cecille a sword. Colours were even, at least.

“Captains, shake hands,” Clair ordered. Katarina was shivering as she shook the hand of the legend, trying to figure out her strategy. She knew she had to start with the other two.

“Begin!” Clair called. Katarina dived beside Kris, and gathered her magical strength to target Noish. Kris moved in front of her, and began duelling Sigurd. Katarina smiled, and turned to focus on Alec. Cecille charged forward, bringing her sword to bear against him. Alec had the advantage, Katarina knew, so she had to focus and succeed. Katarina’s first blast didn’t come nearly as decisively as the one against Noish…

“Kat!” Kris called. Katarina turned in surprise, seeing her knocked aside by Sigurd. Katarina suddenly had to deal with the more immediate threat. Cecille, noticing this too, abandoned Alec to charge into Sigurd. As she bounced right off, Katarina realised how bad the situation was.

“The battle is won! The victor is the Holy Knight Sigurd!” Clair called. Katarina bowed her head.

“Well done, Sigurd, to beat my Kris,” Katarina remarked.

“It wasn’t easy…” Sigurd remarked, smiling.

“But you succeeded. I guess I need to train harder to go toe to toe with legends,” Kris remarked, turning to leave.

“Kris…” Katarina muttered, too quietly for her to hear. Male or female, Kris was too attracted to training to comfort her...

Team Tharja versus Team Faye

“Welcome to Round 2, Battle 1 of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, we have the Dark Shadow Tharja!” Tana called. Tharja entered the room in a shadowy aura, again to a vocal dissent. Tana slammed her Vidofnir down, quelling much of the roars, but Noire was already shaken. Tharja and Camilla, less so.

“And on my right, we have the Devoted Heart Faye!” Tana continued. Faye’s group ran up, and Faye immediately eyed Camilla. Seems Priscilla had told her a little of her fate.

“Captains, if you’d please?” Tana asked. Faye took Tharja’s hand, and shook, this time with an angry expression Tharja was all too happy to reciprocate.

“...Begin!” Tana stated, immediately pulling up a Fili Shied. Kliff and Noire started firing arrows at once, aiming for Camilla and Kliff respectively. Faye pulled up a shield, and took the bulk of the arrows as Kliff shot over her at the flying Camilla. By the time she noticed, Camilla had dropped to the ground. Celica charged forward, casting her Ragnarok spell to finish off the dragon knight and make a few dents in Noire. Noire, for her part, was attempting to fight off both Celica and Kliff, to moderate success. Tharja glared at Faye.

“You’re nowhere near as successful as I am,” Tharja taunted.

“Like I care. If what it takes to win Alm’s heart is to wear nothing and brainwash him using dark magic, I think I’ll pass. I’m not that kind of girl,” Faye responded, shooting a Seraphim spell. Tharja absorbed it into the palm of her hand.

“Really now? But you’re ready to kill in Alm’s name… what’s the problem with doing a little more killing to get a little closer?” Tharja asked, her blades dropping on Faye. Faye surrounded herself with light magic, dispelling them.

“I’m done talking. Alm’s heart belongs to Alm. To all of us, in the Deliverance at least. There’s plenty of room for hope in it, but there’s no room in it for you!” Faye called. She shot a blast of Nosferatu forward, striking Tharja in the heart and knocking her back. Faye smirked, and turned to Tana.

The sudden sensation of an arrow in her heart taught her otherwise.

“The battle is won. The victor is Dark Shadow Tharja!” Tana stated. Her glare seemed to pre-empt the knee-jerk negative reaction the crowd had prepared.

“That was… Noire, you’re good,” Faye remarked, prying the arrow from her torso and calling Celica over for Recovery.

“Thanks. I… I practiced for a long time to get my keen eye down, against opponents more challenging and ruthless than yourselves,” Noire told them.

“Wouldn’t happen to be these two, would it?” Faye asked.

“None of your business,” Noire snapped.

---

Team Sigurd versus Team Dorcas

“Welcome to Round 2, Battle 1 of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, we have the Holy Knight Sigurd!” Florina called. Sigurd and his knights decided on a gallop ending in a dramatic rear back.

“And on my right, we have the Serene Warrior Dorcas!” Florina continued. Dorcas clambered into the arena, smiling at the sight.

“Captains, shake hands, please!” Florina ordered. Sigurd and Dorcas stepped forward, and gave a firm, pleasant handshake.

“For Deirdre,” Sigurd stated proudly.

“For Natalie,” Dorcas responded just as proudly.

“And… begin!” Florina called. Noish and Alec charged forth, leaping into duels with Bartre and Karla respectively. Dorcas drew his axe, and Sigurd his sword, but neither wanted to make the first move. Sigurd looked up at the cavaliers, who even with weapon triangle advantage, were still sitting toe-to-toe with their infantry foes.

“You all right, milord?” Dorcas asked. Sigurd turned back to him.

“...Quite so. Just… just not so eager to fight an upstanding mercenary like yourself. Forgive me, I’ve learned a few harsh lessons from my homeworld… all of them the hard way,” Sigurd told him. Dorcas chuckled.

“Must’ve been real bad. You know… all I’ve ever fought for is money. Taken me places I don’t particularly want to remember, made me join sides I would never have otherwise considered. This gauntlet? I don’t think we’re getting paid. I meant to ask what the incentive was for joining, actually…” Dorcas remarked. Sigurd let out a booming laugh.

“Sir Sigurd? Are you all right?” Florina asked. Both men turned, and gave her a reassuring wave.

“If it were any other judge, she’d be on our case about now…” Sigurd remarked.

“Are you two done blabbing?” Lyn called. Dorcas nodded.

“...There’s just one thing we’ll miss out on if we don’t start a fight. A winner. We’ll need one to face the next opponent,” Sigurd remarked.

“Should be you. Both Team Tharja and Team Faye have a powerful mage that beats us on the triangle. And let’s be honest… you would’ve won anyway, sticking to that same triangle,” Dorcas pointed out. Sigurd looked back at his knights- beaten, bloodied and bruised, but victorious.

“...I understand your point. Thank you for your graciousness, Dorcas… I shall fight this mage, and I shall win, like I did not at Belhalla. And, well… I’ll see if I’ve still got some money somewhere to compensate you with,” Sigurd told him. Dorcas smiled.

“That’s OK with me,” Dorcas acknowledged, holding out his hand.

“Sir Sigurd?” Florina asked, watching the two shake hands. Dorcas turned to her.

“The victor has been declared. Holy Knight Sigurd will move on,” Dorcas told her. Florina looked at Sigurd.

“...What he said!” Florina exclaimed. The portion of the crowd booing this decision seemed to match the portion who were watching the discussion with sympathy in their eyes.

“...Can you imagine the lengths some people will go to get other people to fight to the death?” Sigurd asked loudly.

Team Tharja versus Team Sigurd

“Welcome, everyone, to the final round of the Ninth Gauntlet! On my left, the sorceress with a smirk, the Dark Shadow Tharja!” Tana called. Amongst her negative reaction as Tharja appeared was a lot of feverish muttering. Noire caught some of it- ‘she can’t win twice!’- and grimaced.

“And on my right, the brash Lord of Chalphy, the knight who’ll take over an entire country with just four men, the Holy Knight Sigurd!” Tana continued, calling forward the three horsemen to join the battle. Ephraim gave a smirk, considering challenging the knight.

“Captains, if you’d please,” Tana ordered. Tharja and Sigurd’s shake was quite firm, but it was Sigurd who was shocked by the strength. Sigurd mounted, and brandished the Divine Tyrfing.

“May your duel end with no hard feelings… BEGIN!” Tana called. Camilla soared overhead, gunning straight for Alec. Sigurd let Noish handle that, while he charged at Tharja. Tharja warped back, and cast her powerful blade magic. Sigurd’s Crusader’s Ward flared up, and Sigurd intercepted the brunt of the spell. Sigurd charged again, but Tharja simply warped again.

“Let’s make one thing clear, Sigurd. I’m going to win this. My hexes are always perfect…” Tharja told him, narrowing her eyes. Noire quivered, recognising that look.

“Mum, don’t do it,” Noire told her.

“Do what? This?” Tharja asked, summoning a massive meteor.

“Yeah, that. This is why no one likes you- you do stuff like this and give people reason to give you a wide berth!” Noire told her. Tharja dropped the meteor on Sigurd, who was too petrified to dodge.

“Mum, can’t you see it’s bothering him? STOP IT!” Noire cried out. Tharja looked at her with concern.

“...It’s bothering you. And that is why I’ll stop…” Tharja stated. Noire took in a few heaving breaths, realising just what Tharja meant. Realising just why it terrified her.

“...By the strength of my allies, I cast upon my enemies the might of an armoury of our blades!” Tharja casted. The Crusader’s Ward shone, but Sigurd could only take so much…

“...The battle is over. The victor is Dark Shadow Tharja!” Tana called. Despite this, Sigurd didn’t get up.

“Mother…” Noire muttered.

“...Well, I can’t do anything about it now,” Tharja remarked, shrugging.

“Hush now. I’ve won another Gauntlet! Oh, I hope Corrin will be impressed when I tell her this!” Camilla exclaimed, giving out a little cheer. Tharja blinked.

“...I’m going to go home and pretend this mess never happened. Wanna come with?” Tharja asked.

“No thanks… I’d really rather not,” Noire murmured, shrinking away.