Adobe is droing flash support in 2020. What flash games/media will you be sad to see go?

sirmola

I read recently that adobe is dropping flash support in 2020. In most ways this is good (HTML 5 has better battery life, fewer security holes, and an open standard that does not require expensive proprietary software to create content for). However, Lots of legacy flash content is great, and no longer being able to access it on the internet will be a bummer (although it may still be possible to run it using an addtional browser extension, most people just won't do that, and compatability would not be 100%.)  Do you have any  flash games that you really like that can't be played otherwise? Note that many games either have an HTML 5 version (such as QWOP), or are available on some other platform, such as an executable or the app store (Epic battle fantasy 3 and 4, which are both good rpgs, are available on steam). The games that I will miss:

1. Homestuck flash games. I like homestuck, and it has a TON of flash movies and games as a core part of the story. THat being said, the creator seems like the sort of person to update the content, and if he does not, the fans probably will.

2. MARDEK 1, 2, and 3. My favorite flash game. Period. Together, these three games (which allow save file transfer), form a massive RPG with a storey that manages to be funny, sad, and serious (somehow), while having interesting battles that keep you thinking. Unfortunately, the developer has abandoned the series, so the story will never progress past the cliffhanger that ends chapter 3, and will almost certainly not be updated to be in html 5.

Edited by sirmola

Whoa. I was checking out flashes back when it was still Macromedia Flash. Flash 8 was even what I used when I got my start. Never made games with it, I just did fun little animations on Newgrounds as a pre-teen. But that was a huge opportunity for expression. I loved chatting with other creators, teaming up for collaborations. I remember one game in particular I was hooked on as a kid. Sinjid: Shadow of the Warrior. Turn based RPG where you played a ninja with a bunch of character customization. I remember the creator of that went on to do a more ambitious game involving a zombie protagonist, but I never got to the end. I remember playing a bunch of games on Newgrounds once they implemented an achievement system that creators could put in their games. One of the first was a beat em' up where you beat up actual, prominent members of the site that made up these fictional gangs.  So fun. And of course there was Super Smash Flash and Newgrounds Rumble.

Also played a lot of Meat Boy, Epic Battle Fantasy, and Binding of Isaac, but those got turned into full fledged games, so there's no worries about playing them. There was also a really impressive side scroller version of Portal. Working portal physics engine and everything. I played that game before I ever heard of the actual Portal game.

1 hour ago, Selena4Lyfe said:

I wonder if this means the folks at Zone-Tan will be out of a job...?

Adobe is keeping the application (now called adobe animate).  They are just dropping support for the .swf file format, and the flash player required to play that format. Animate can export in the adobe AIR app format, movie formats like mpeg, or even html 5 (which acts really similarly). Heck, anyone who still has their old project files could possibly just run the export process again with a different output format (i think this may be what the epic battle fantasy games and QWOP did). As such, this might mean quite a bit of work for someone with a big backlog, but It will hopefully not ruin anyone's career or anything. I'm more worried about content that is not actively maintained by the author.

Edited by sirmola

I'm freaking out over the possibility of losing Smash Flash 2 - one of the best games I've ever played on the comp. There are a couple older Artix Entertainment games I might be sad to lose, like DragonFable, but AQWorlds is getting a server rewrite to deal with the change so I'll survive.

21 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm freaking out over the possibility of losing Smash Flash 2 - one of the best games I've ever played on the comp. There are a couple older Artix Entertainment games I might be sad to lose, like DragonFable, but AQWorlds is getting a server rewrite to deal with the change so I'll survive.

Smash Flash 2 is my favorite, but I have it downloaded and have lots of people I can play it with in my house. So I'll get by.