Things you lost from not saving?

property of nuvelle

There is a plethora of games that require you to save your progress, and there are definitely times that we regret not saving. What are yours?

• In Pokemon Sun, caught a shiny Alolan vulpix (my favorite alolan form) trying to find a male one, didn't save for some reason so it's gone.
  • In Pokemon Pearl, didn't know what L+R+Start+Select did when I was seven. I think I did it because someone said it was a secret code for something... Lost a bit of progress.
Edited by KongDude

13 minutes ago, KongDude said:
  • In Pokemon Pearl when I was seven.

Holy crap I feel old...When I was 7, Ruby & Sapphire wouldn't come out for another year.

Anyways, I didn't have a memory card when I first got my Gamecube so whenever I wanted to play Sonic Adventure 2, I had to keep playing the first set of missions over and over again until my mother bought me one. I always save my progress. Sometimes I save twice because I'll forget if I saved 5 minutes ago. I do wish I was more alert of the option to have multiple save files. There's times where I save my progress and then it turns out I fucked something up but I can't go back because I already saved passed that point. For example, missing the Jecht Shot in FFX on the boat. Made winning the Blitz Ball game a pain in the ass. I think I was half asleep when I was expected to hit the QTE on my own.

Hoo boy, I can vaguely recall countless amounts of progress in many games I lost, including but not limited to Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey, and of course Fire Emblem. One thing I remember specifically is a Shiny Drowsee in Pokemon Heartgold. My DS died before I saved despite the fact I had captured it for like, 10-15 minutes before it died.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sometimes I save twice because I'll forget if I saved 5 minutes ago.

yo i legit save like 3-5 times because i keep forgetting if i actually saved or not

its honestly a problem

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Holy crap I feel old...When I was 7, Ruby & Sapphire wouldn't come out for another year.

I thought Pearl was pretty new at the time. Apparently it was out for a year or two before I got my hands on it. I'm currently 16.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sometimes I save twice because I'll forget if I saved 5 minutes ago.

I actually have a habit of saving two or three more times right after the first now because I'm afraid it didn't work the first...

I didn't own an expansion pak for my N64. But still played games that required it for saving. So I think I probably lost dozens of saves from that alone. Trying to get as far as I could in one sitting of Gex or Turok.

Edit: Oops, meant Controller Pak. I lacked the Expansion Pak as well, but I think most of us did unless we owned DK 64 or Majora.

Edited by Glennstavos

I've lost tons of progress during games for not saving and not charging my GBA and DS in the past. 

But the most recent has to be that time I didn't save for like 10 hours while playing BOTW and ended up losing the progress of like 7 shrines and 1 Divine Beast. (Didn't help that I never bothered to check the autosave files so they got overwritten and my progress got lost forever).

Oooh boy, this has happened a lot. I can't think of many specific instances, but I do know I've lost a good amount of progress numerous times in various games. The most notable would be not long after my cat had kittens, I was playing a Lego Star Wars game on the Gamecube, and had found an exceptional amount of Studs (or whatever the currency was called) when one of the kittens jumped on the console and stepped on the reset button.

I don't think I ever got that much money again in the game.

Edited by Rex Glacies

once in SMTIV i got a rare error fusion that gave me a demon like 30+ levels up than the one that I originally intended to get ...and then i promptly hit the load button instead of the save one and lost it. 

I was playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and i put it down to work on some assignments. When i got back, i opened my 3DS and got the dreaded message: "the game card has been removed". I lost about one hour of progress.

Nothing too major for me. So one of mine was: I was playing Pokemon Ruby on my ds lite, I had caught Groudon on my first attempt and was using him in the gym battle against Walllace (bad idea I know) and one of the cats I owned at the time decides to crawl up on my chest and run their head against my ds, specifically the gba pack. (The cat was able to do this cause I was laying on a couch). I was unable to catch Groudon again as much as I tried. (This was about 8-9 years ago, so it was after Platinum came out).

The second one was most recently, I was playing through new game+ on valkyria chronicles (which has you play through all the story levels again in the way they were unlocked) so I got through the first 5 or so levels pretty quickly, I then decide to go do an expert level side battle, I immmediately left due to how underprepared I was, but if you know Valkyria the only way to exit a battle is either go to the title screen or load from a previous save, so I had to replay those levels again. Saving is important guys!

Well, not a lot, surprisingly. I generally always save. I learned my lesson with Far Cry 3, I'd done a shitload of hunting and upgraded my gear but didn't save afterwards, I went into the kitchen to get a drink, and I hear my sister hijacking the Xbox, neglecting to save my progress.
More recently, in Pokemon Platinum, I'd just beaten the fighting gym after dozens of defeats, and I went on my way and did some stuff, then closed my 3DS for the night. Went days without touching it or saving it, I ended up swapping out games without ever saving. You can imagine my surprise when several weeks later I'm back at the same godforsaken gym.

My first attempt at beating the E4 in Pokemon Moon. I was running out of power, realised I forgot my charging cable and lost it all. It's not like Decidueye was an easy opponent to begin with. I also knocked out Tapu Koko, so not a waste I lost it.

I can't really recall losing a lot of progress due to forgetting to save otherwise.

On a tangential note, I had my finished save of Spirit Tracks overwritten by my niece. Needless to say I still have trust issues.

I just remembered another instance of not saving.

When I was playing Megadimension Neptunia VII, I was at the penultimate dungeon. There was only 2 save points, at the beginning and end of the dungeon. I was there for almost an hour doing battles and barely surviving cause I was kinda underleveled. I finally make it to the end of the dungeon and there's this one enemy left. I tell myself I can just beat him and then save and leave. However I ended up getting my ass kicked for being impatient and got a game over. I had to restart the dungeon from the beginning. Needless to say, I blitzed through it and saved right away.

Edited by Ronnie

One time, in Pokémon Omega Ruby, I caught an Abra with a Modest nature, 3 perfect IVs in Special Attack, Defence and Speed and its hidden ability via the Pokédex search engine thing (I don't know what it's called). I didn't save when I turned it off. And I didn't touch the game for 3 whole months.

And there's that one time I didn't save after grinding 5 Point Blank scrolls in Fire Emblem Fates and just turned the game off... I don't know which of these two is more painful.

Only two moments that comes to mind for me are the first time I played Pitfall: The lost Expedition, where I remember getting so frustrated with the scorpion body-swap part (it makes sense in context) that I broke a lego set and turned off the game... before realizing that I forgot to save the progress I had made until then. The other moment was from Mario & Luigi's: Bowser's Inside Story, where after spending two or three days trying to finish the carrot-eating minigame, which would be my least favorite part of the game if Fawful's Express didn't exist, I didn't get the hint that a boss fight was coming up, and predictably lost the ensuing battle. When realizing that I had to do the minigame all over again, I almost cried (Hey, my age was in the single digits when both these moments occurred!).

For the most part, I'm actually victim of the opposite problem; Saving at really bad times. Again, in Bowser's Inside Story, I saved at the point of no return for the second caterpillar boss fight, without any 1-up mushrooms. Considering that the game was my first RPG, and I had no idea what the heck stats did, or that there was equipment, at all, so the game was much harder than it should have been, with that fight being especially difficult as one of the Bro's would inevitably kick the bucket, and I would have to deal with the boss with less power. In the Elder Scrolls series, more than once I've saved right before a fight that I really wasn't prepared for, and in Mount and Blade, I learned the hard way about how the game handles quests (i.e. not knowing the fictional geography, and unknowingly agreeing to send a letter quite LITERALLY ACROSS THE MAP, as well as the moments where your target can MOVE.) and balancing for leveling up (increasing the amount of enemies for each level up makes sense..., until you realize that you can lose half (or all) your army in an intense fight against an enemy lord, or in the meat-grinders known as sieges).