Soul Calibur VI!

Tsunami922

My favorite fighting game series is getting another installment. No release date yet, but should be next year.
Anyone excited for this one? Any Soul Calibur fans here?

Also first thread hype

No, i was not waiting for this announcement to make my first thread

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm super hyped for this game! I'm glad the rumors were true, I'm glad they didn't let the series die, it was my favorite fighting game series.

Can't wait to see more info about the returning characters and all! 

Edited by charmedx3

Huh. I only ever played the V one, but I enjoyed what I got out of it. The thing I remember the most is the music.

Thing is, I'm not a diehard Soul Caliber fan, so I'll likely be passing on this one in favor of other titles. (The only fighting game I got decent at was Dead or Alive 2.)

I thought this post was just gonna be "wouldn't it be awesome if we had this? I miss this series" type of post but NO
THERE'S AN ACTUAL TRAILER

I'm so excited. Looks like we're going back to gen 1. Mitsurugi looks young here? Is this some type of prequel (even though we sorta had one before?)

I don't actually own any of the Soulcaliber games myself, but when I do get my hands on the game at friends houses I play the heck out of it. I'm not very good at it, but it's a ton of fun! I've only played II and IV so I hope we get back some of my favorite characters like Talim, Zasalamel, and Maxi among others. Another big part of the Soulcaliber games is the guest characters and though I know many people would like a different guest for each version of the game let's be honest with ourselves, if there's no Nintendo version it's not worth it, they should just go with a neutral third party character just to be safe. I'm personally rooting for Dante from Devil May Cry to get into the game since it was rumored that he was considered for Soulcaliber III, but never actually came to be. I haven't actually played any DMC games before, but Dante is my favorite character to play as in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 so I've got a level of fondness for him, especially since he has such a fun personality.

I played II with my sister a lot. Never played any of the others. But if she ever gets the chance to visit I'll pick this up!

What didn't people like about IV or V that they're hoping will be fixed?

49 minutes ago, lyscalibur said:

V had a lack of game modes unlike the SCII Weapon Master/Conquest or the SCIII Chronicle of the Sword game modes, and I didn't think the SCIV mode was very great compared to those too, though I played SCIV the least. SCIV I didn't really dedicate a bunch of time to but I thought it was good enough, but SCV was severely lacking in content unless you really care a lot for the character creation which seems like a staple at this point. The story mode is also pretty poor.

The new characters in V I didn't really care for either, especially Patroklos. They also dropped characters to replace them with others with similar movesets. Even if IV only added very few characters, at least Hilde was cool.

I think they can do well if they take their time with it (and it seems they have been considering it's been quite a while since V). I'd like to see at least an attempt of an interesting side game mode like II and III. Too many fighters just release with the bare minimum possible.

Edited by Tryhard

Lets see if they found a way to make Nightmare even more slow

Id be impressed

Also I hope Cervantes is as great as he was in 4.... I never played 5, but in 4 Cervantes was my child

Sophitia is another HEWJ fave of mine

8 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I like Soul Calibur but I wasn't so impressed with V. Hopefully it is more like SC2 and 3.

Who would actual want SC to be more like IV or V than 2 or 3?

Trick question; no one does.

Holy shit, though!  I thought Soul Calibur was dead!

I'm glad it's getting a brand new entry.  I have to wonder if it'll turn into the crazy crossover extravaganza that Tekken 7 was.

Then again, SC2 had Link... and Heihachi... and Kratos...  And SC4 had Yoda, Vader, and the Apprentice from Force Unleashed...  And SC5 had a character from Assassin's Creed... and-

You know, now that I think about it SC has had a lot of crossovers within its own games.

12 minutes ago, lyscalibur said:

I played II with my sister a lot. Never played any of the others. But if she ever gets the chance to visit I'll pick this up!

Well, given that Sophitia's present and Mitsurugi looks young, they might bring back a lot of the characters that were dropped in V (e.g. Taki, Talim, Seong Mi-na, and Cassandra).  So that's one problem that already seems to be fixed.

There's also just the generally lacking singleplayer to fix.  SC II had the Weapon Master/Conquest Mode which had a lot of fun gimmick battles and felt like an adventure, and SC III had Chronicles of the Sword which was a RTS with SC-style battles mixed in; these also both had stories independent from the main storylines present in the series.  Even beyond that, II and III (and even IV) gave each character a story in the Arcade mode; III even had branching paths that led to you fighting different enemies or even encountering different gimmicks.

Custom characters were also better handled in III, mainly in that you could actually have your character take on movesets that extended outside those of the main cast (e.g. there's one where you primarily use tambourines, and another where you can use a sickle) while also still having access to some main character movesets.  CaC's in IV were okay; you could at least give them different stats for the gimmick modes, even though you could only exclusively use the movesets of the main characters.  But in V, there's practically little or no difference between a CaC and any given character in the main cast aside from cosmetics.

I don't know if all of these issues will be fixed, but I'd at the very least like all my SC2 and SC3 characters back.  And to make CaC's better to give me more incentive to use them.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

(e.g. Taki, Talim, Seong Mi-na, and Cassandra)

They dropped Taki in 5 LOL

My brother would be sad.... now I want to get it so I won't have to deal with her annoying behind

SCII had Necrid....

I wish he would come back. 

8 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

They dropped Taki in 5 LOL

My brother would be sad.... now I want to get it so I won't have to deal with her annoying behind

SCII had Necrid....

I wish he would come back. 

Well, but she got a replacement that fights almost the same.

Gx76224.jpg

Meet Natsu, Taki's successor :p

A number of characters that were dropped in V did had successors or children who borrowed their predecessors movesets, including Sophitia's daughter Pyrrha to some extent and Xianghua's daugter Leixia.  Those that didn't have proper replacements include Seong Mi-na, Rock, Zasalamel (from III), Talim, and Yun-Seong.

1 minute ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

It did not have Kratos, it had Spawn

Then what the hell am I thinking of?

Am I just experiencing the Mandela Effect again?

38 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

A number of characters that were dropped in V did had successors or children who borrowed their predecessors movesets, including Sophitia's daughter Pyrrha to some extent and Xianghua's daugter Leixia.  Those that didn't have proper replacements include Seong Mi-na, Rock, Zasalamel (from III), Talim, and Yun-Seong.

Hmm alright

You seem to know about 5

Did Nightmare get even slower in 5? 

Like seriously, SC II Nightmare and SC IV Nightmare are like 2 different people. He is a fricking slug smh. 

1 minute ago, lyscalibur said:

Thank you @Tryhard and @Ertrick36 for answering my question so thoroughly.

When I wasn't losing to my sister I had a lot of fun with SCII's single player modes. It'll be nice if those make a proper return to form.

If Namco is smart they'll have a single player mode ready to be revealed by next year's E3. Seeing as a lack single player modes in recent games has become a huge controversy within the industry as of late I'm sure Namco knows what not to do at this point. I think we'll have at least an arcade mode and a Tekken 7-esq story mode at launch at the bare minimum, maybe a few extra modes as well if fan demand is big enough.

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Hmm alright

You seem to know about 5

Did Nightmare get even slower in 5? 

Like seriously, SC II Nightmare and SC IV Nightmare are like 2 different people. He is a fricking slug smh. 

Well...  I haven't played Nightmare too often, but it is hard to beat his sluggishness in IV.

I know Astaroth is slow, but that's how he's always been, I think.  I have SC II-V, so I could test the differences if I really wanted to.

37 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

He does actually appear in a certain Soul Calibur game. Just not a mainline one.

latest?cb=20090729222723

I think that's the one I was thinking of...

Or it could've been the Mortal Kombat one.  I do sort of follow Mortal Kombat news.

I used to play SCII at my friends house all the time, we played it more then we did Smash.  I haven't played SC since the one that was on the Wii, I would love to play SC again.  I wonder if there will be a Switch version?  I might look in to the PC version.