Hilarious Misconceptions You Had About Video-Games

Hawkwing

I tought SRPG (except for Valkyria Chronicles) was a slow boring genre, especially since i used to be a RTS player, until i played the SRPG chapter in Evoland 2 and had tons of fun with it. Now i have thrown hundred of hours into the genre and keep searching for games to play xD

On 8.12.2017 at 9:10 PM, Dragoncat said:

And this is actually anime, but I thought Naruto was about perverts for some mysterious reason.

Well, you're not too far off on that one. I mean, a pervy sage? A guy who can turn himself into a naked girl / guy (or several naked girls / guys) to distract people (not to mention it works on seemingly only the strongest people, hilariously enough)? The red flags are certainly there, if you ask me.

Some misconceptions I had:

I thought Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl was a bog standard JRPG where you have to rescue a princess or something, judging by the cover art. I had no idea what EO was back then, but I was still kind of interested in the game based on it's title, so I bought it and... boy, was I wrong. Was I oh so very wrong.

I honestly thought Trails of Cold Steel was a dating sim. (don't shoot me, please)

Same for Persona. (don't burn me at the stake, please)

I fully expected Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars to be a pure dating sim jam-packed with fanservice for the sake of it. It's actually a great game with interesting, Mystery Dungeon meets Etrian Odyssey gameplay and a very compelling story. (The fanservice part is still mostly true, for better or worse)

When my friend first told me about Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, I thought it was a generic medieval war simulator. Then I played it. And here I am.

This is also related to anime, but when I first heard that the Fate series is actually based on games, I thought it was a series of action RPGs.

I didn't think Stella Glow would turn out to be a turn-based strategy game like Fire Emblem. I thought it would be more akin to a turn-based Tales game.

Not a misconception per se, but I had no idea that Bravely Default is actually a spiritual successor to older Final Fantasy games.

On 09/01/2018 at 3:37 PM, DragonFlames said:

Well, you're not too far off on that one. I mean, a pervy sage? A guy who can turn himself into a naked girl / guy (or several naked girls / guys) to distract people (not to mention it works on seemingly only the strongest people, hilariously enough)? The red flags are certainly there, if you ask me.

Some misconceptions I had:

I fully expected Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars to be a pure dating sim jam-packed with fanservice for the sake of it. It's actually a great game with interesting, Mystery Dungeon meets Etrian Odyssey gameplay and a very compelling story. (The fanservice part is still mostly true, for better or worse)

When my friend first told me about Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, I thought it was a generic medieval war simulator. Then I played it. And here I am.

This is also related to anime, but when I first heard that the Fate series is actually based on games, I thought it was a series of action RPGs.

I didn't think Stella Glow would turn out to be a turn-based strategy game like Fire Emblem. I thought it would be more akin to a turn-based Tales game.

Not a misconception per se, but I had no idea that Bravely Default is actually a spiritual successor to older Final Fantasy games.

Dungeon Travelers 2 is one of the best Dungeon RPG I've played through, despite being 99% Fan Service (the rest is a moving and epic friendship tale between a bear and a penguin.), so that doesn't means that much honnestly.
Honnestly, I thought it would be a pretty mediocre, but fun Dungeon RPG games, like tere are so much on the console (and Demon Gaze kinda disappointed me before), but the dungeon sections are really well-made, the battle system fun, the fan service can be aggravating, but there are legitimately funny scenes. And mainly, that game is really generous. Post-Game as massive as the Main Game. OTons of side events depending of the characters you use.

Turn-Based Tales ? You mean Like Tales of teh World : Summoner's Lineage  (standard Tactical RPG) ; or like in Tales of the World Narikiri Dungeon 3 (pseudo tactical grid with tales of regular battles) ?

14 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

Dungeon Travelers 2 is one of the best Dungeon RPG I've played through, despite being 99% Fan Service (the rest is a moving and epic friendship tale between a bear and a penguin.), so that doesn't means that much honnestly.
Honnestly, I thought it would be a pretty mediocre, but fun Dungeon RPG games, like tere are so much on the console (and Demon Gaze kinda disappointed me before), but the dungeon sections are really well-made, the battle system fun, the fan service can be aggravating, but there are legitimately funny scenes. And mainly, that game is really generous. Post-Game as massive as the Main Game. OTons of side events depending of the characters you use.

Turn-Based Tales ? You mean Like Tales of teh World : Summoner's Lineage  (standard Tactical RPG) ; or like in Tales of the World Narikiri Dungeon 3 (pseudo tactical grid with tales of regular battles) ?

By turn-based Tales I meant a Tales-like world (giant, mostly open and an anime asthetic) but with turn-based combat. Kind of like what Trails of Cold Steel is, actually.
I honestly had no idea the two games you mentioned exist until now.

I also have Dungeon Travelers 2 on my Vita. The fanservice does get a bit... eehh... but otherwise, it seems like a fun game. I need to get back to that one, actually...