Buying old games and feeling good about it

vuttFE

How do you handle FE retro gaming with clear conscience without owning original system and cartridge? 

I'm new to Fire Emblem franchise. Started with Path Of Radiance this February and became a fan. I bought 3ds only because of Fire Emblem.

Buying 3DS era titles isn't complicated. I have bought and played so far Awakening, SoV, FE:Birthright. FE:Conquest is in my todo list.

But if we talking about DS, GBA era games things are more tricky. I don't want to pirate. I would gladly give Intelligent Systems some of my hard earned money. Used ebay games will not grant developer any money. Luckily I own WiiU. Nintendo is selling there 1 DS and 2 GBA virutal  console games. So I bought all 3. However I wanted to play DS game on handheld device so I bought Shadow Dragon cartridge only off the ebay. When it arrived while it worked it clearly felt like bootleg version. Sadly I found out about r4 cartridges after my purchase. 

I'm perfectly fine buying virtual console game on one platform and playing it with "digital copy" on another platform. For example I recently found out that with "modified" 3DS CFW I can play FE GBA games just fine. Fantastic! Nintendo games needs to be played on Nintendo system. 

Thanks to this forum I also discovered fan translation world. Sadly there are no easy ways to buy those games on virtual console in the west. For sure I would like to play SNES FE4 and DS FE12. One way to go is to buy another SoV copy in my local shop. SoV price should cover sum wise cost of both of those retro games in 2017.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Edited by vuttFE

I understand this a lot. I honestly feel the same way. However I am also an fan and want to play those games, so I have emulated a few games (mainly 6,7, and 12). However if they were to release them on VC or an remade version (or even bring the older version to the west on the original hardware) I would by them instantly (especially 12). Now on the topic of buying used games, think of it as this, somebody bought that cartridge from a store that bought it to sell from Nintendo. You're just reimbursing them for it is all. I would love to buy my games straight from the developers honestly, but due to timing and my interests back then it never happened. So this is how it works. So me emulating games is what I consider a fanright, I deserve to play them if I desire to. I honestly would buy the games I've emulated if they were localized (or in fe7's case if I had the spare money to buy it) but we can't help if the company decides to not bring a game overseas.

Me, I'm of the mind that there's no point for me to be chasing to play the older titles 100% legit considering the difficulty. Partly because I started pretty late in the series's life (during the doldrums, before Awakening came out). I've emulated in some form pretty much every title except for Tellius (because the best method to do so is a bit roundabout) and the 3DS titles (which I've paid for).

Besides, trying to buy old physical copies isn't supporting IS at this point considering that they're no longer being distributed. If someone else wants to get them legit, I'm one less competitor. Supporting titles from here on out is more relevant.

Fanright or not, I'm not really someone who could adequately get these legit. If that changes in the future, maybe.

If a game has stopped being distributed, printed or is difficult to obtain for any reason; belongs exclusively on a system too difficult to obtain for any reason; has never been released in my country of residence; or is a certain number of years old, then I typically have zero issues of using an emulator to play them.

The problem with older FE games is that they fall into all of my emulation requirements. Also, this:

20 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Besides, trying to buy old physical copies isn't supporting IS at this point considering that they're no longer being distributed. If someone else wants to get them legit, I'm one less competitor. Supporting titles from here on out is more relevant.