This is just stupid.

18 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Uh, the only ones that die are Ryouma and Takumi, as a mirror to Birthright and what happens in OTL Conquest. I don't see how that's a killathon. Especially since I said nothing about retainers or others dying. Plus the deaths actually serve a purpose for the characters. I didn't explain to thoroughly, but I still don't see how two canon character deaths makes it a mindless slaughter. Seriously.

My apologies, I interpreted your post the wrong way, any idea can be good in practice. It just that I hear many stories where most of the Royals died in Fates, and I'm a weary of those tales. I'm sure you can take a good spin on the matter.

The biggest problem with Takumi in Conquest is that his anger isn't even his. He has legitimate grivances but they're all swept aside with "he's only acting like this because he's possessed." It takes away from his character and Hoshido as a whole, because now this is a story about defeating Anankos' minions as opposed to Corrin having to accept that he helped ravage an innocent country.

Sakura would make a fine boss or an embittered queen who lost everything in her childhood. There is more of an emotional arc there since Sakura started as the most innocent Hoshidan sibling.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:24 AM, Nanima said:

I actually had a story concept floating around in my mind (which I have posted before, I think, but never wrote properly 'cause I'm lazy and unmotivated) where Hoshido's invasion happens midgame, and Corrin isn't ready to rebel just yet, so all they can do is damage control. Nohr wins pretty quickly by taking the Broshidos captive (minus Hinoka, who escapes and leads what's left of the Hoshidan forces later on), so Corrin and their siblings (except Xander) devise a plan to break them out before they can be executed. Sadly, they only manage to save Sakura, while Takumi dies during the escape attempt (doing something like help ensure they get out/protecting Sakura) and Ryouma gets recaptured and later publicly executed. This would not only inspire the Hoshidan resistance to redouble their efforts but also Corrin to openly turn against Garon. They'd still have to fight Xander, but you could turn that into a climatic fight with Corrin finally convincing him of doing what is right.   

This is pretty close to what I had in mind. I would have had Corrin reluctantly support the invasion, justifying it with Nohr's food shortages but when Garon seems more interested in the genocide of the Hoshidans than securing Nohr's future, Corrin and friends plot a rebellion.

It's bizarre that IS didn't write something similar. Garon was always going to be the main antagonist, so why does the story railroad you into fighting the 'good guys' until the last possible second? They went far past 'tragic villain' and straight into 'karma Houdini' for Nohrrin.

Edited by NekoKnight

Wow, this would've been great. Really the biggest issue with Conquest's story is that the game won't let the universe admit that what Corrin did was selfish rather than noble and that the Hoshidans literally have no reason whatsoever to forgive him. The final battle as it stands is an undeservedly triumphant and heroic battle against a possessed asshole whose assholery was totally the evil spirits making him question Corrin's divinity. Making it into a dark and tragic culmination of the consequences of Corrin's terrible decisions, ending in horribly strained relations between Nohr and Hoshido, would have been awesome.

19 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

It's bizarre that IS didn't write something similar. Garon was always going to be the main antagonist, so why does the story railroad you into fighting the 'good guys' until the last possible second? They went far past 'tragic villain' and straight into 'karma Houdini' for Nohrrin.

Because then the gameplay couldn't be about you allying with one side and fighting the other in both routes, and apparently IS considered having a coherent plot to be secondary to that.

Edited by Alastor15243

• 1 month later...

You know reading this thread I think I'm one of the only people who liked how Nohr  and Hoshido were portrayed in game.

I liked how Garon and the Nohrian army didn't have "hidden depths" just because Corrin sided with them.  I liked how the atrocities Nohr committed against Hoshido weren't white washed to free players from guilt.  And most importantly I liked how the game broke down all of  Corrin's justifications for siding with Nohr and utterly destroyed them  for their naivety in believing they could change Nohr from within and end the war with minimal bloodshed when they're serving a psychotic blood thirsty tyrant who hates them.

What people hate about Conquest's story is what I like about it. It's a perfect tragedy.

Edited by Corrin_Kamui

On 12/14/2017 at 4:56 PM, B.Leu said:

You know what else would have been interesting ? Actual choices with them actually influencing things, like say, the final boss you'll get.

On 12/19/2017 at 4:16 PM, eclipse said:

What if the final boss is one of the siblings, but which one would've been determined by how you answered some in-game questions/some map clear conditions?  

Love it.  We do have rather prolific community of hackers on this site.  I know the newer games are way, way harder to hack than the GBA ones and so far they've only been able  to change basic scripts + create super glitchy randomizers for the Fates engine. 

But hey--here's hoping one day they get a high enough level of sophistication going that they can actually program that into a fan hack. That would be amazing. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

• 1 month later...

I think it’s quite interesting. Mind if I start an RP on this?

I gaze in horror at the Figure That was once Sakura.

Me: Oh gods...Sakura, not you too!

Edited by Great Lord Izanagi
Not enough details.