Would you want children units in Fire Emblem Switch

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would mind them. If they do have them i hope there are more blue haired parents because i like that color and was the decisive factor on choosing a child mother/parent. My favorite female child (The one i would marry) definitely NEEDS blue hair.

I was okay with how Fates did it so i guess there is no requirement for me for their inclusion but its not a deal breaker.

Only if the second gen got their own game. No putting the parents and kids in the same game, and ABSOLUTELY NO TIME-TWISTING; IS has proven repeatedly that they're -terrible- at this, at least as far as how it negatively affects the quality of the main plot/story (particularly in Fates...they get it on after a couple of silly conversations, and then fart the baby out into an astral creche so they can go pick it up not long afterwards, due to temporal flux hocum? The hell?).

What I mean is, you'd play the first Fire Emblem for the Switch without any child nonsense, and then the next Fire Emblem for the Switch would be not-too-long after the first one and in the same world continuity-wise, and now many of the second game's units are the first group's descendants, plus perhaps a couple grizzled fan favorites from the first game and a few others that aren't related to the first group in that particular way. Loading up a completed save from the first game would then have some effect on some of the second game's units' (bases/growths/starting equipment/etc.) that varies from the default, and not necessarily in a mechanically empowering direction.

Probably only one unit, the 'primary parent', from the first game would have the majority influence on their respective 'child' in the second game (doesn't actually need to be blood-related, either). The support ranking with another unit in the first game would only have a tangential effect at best on someone in the second (preferably double-edged, if there's an effect on the second game unit at all). The real benefit to the child would simply come from -using- the primary parent in battles and saving that individual progress, regardless of the formations and pair-ups used. Also, the 'primary parents' wouldn't all be locked to the same gender (no need since the supports mean so little to the kids, here), and you obviously wouldn't need to hit S-Rank with anyone else in the army to get the kid to show up (or really even get support convos at all).

On 12/16/2017 at 11:41 PM, kratoscar2008 said:

I would mind them. If they do have them i hope there are more blue haired parents because i like that color and was the decisive factor on choosing a child mother/parent. My favorite female child (The one i would marry) definitely NEEDS blue hair.

I was okay with how Fates did it so i guess there is no requirement for me for their inclusion but its not a deal breaker.

True can't go wrong with more blue hair! :P I just finally want eye color inheritance above all so much more cooler combinations!

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

18 hours ago, EdeaCreamer said:

Only if the second gen got their own game. No putting the parents and kids in the same game, and ABSOLUTELY NO TIME-TWISTING; IS has proven repeatedly that they're -terrible- at this, at least as far as how it negatively affects the quality of the main plot/story (particularly in Fates...they get it on after a couple of silly conversations, and then fart the baby out into an astral creche so they can go pick it up not long afterwards, due to temporal flux hocum? The hell?).

What I mean is, you'd play the first Fire Emblem for the Switch without any child nonsense, and then the next Fire Emblem for the Switch would be not-too-long after the first one and in the same world continuity-wise, and now many of the second game's units are the first group's descendants, plus perhaps a couple grizzled fan favorites from the first game and a few others that aren't related to the first group in that particular way. Loading up a completed save from the first game would then have some effect on some of the second game's units' (bases/growths/starting equipment/etc.) that varies from the default, and not necessarily in a mechanically empowering direction.

Probably only one unit, the 'primary parent', from the first game would have the majority influence on their respective 'child' in the second game (doesn't actually need to be blood-related, either). The support ranking with another unit in the first game would only have a tangential effect at best on someone in the second (preferably double-edged, if there's an effect on the second game unit at all). The real benefit to the child would simply come from -using- the primary parent in battles and saving that individual progress, regardless of the formations and pair-ups used. Also, the 'primary parents' wouldn't all be locked to the same gender (no need since the supports mean so little to the kids, here), and you obviously wouldn't need to hit S-Rank with anyone else in the army to get the kid to show up (or really even get support convos at all).

Sorry, but I am EXTREMELY iffy on this idea... out of all the sequel games, only one had had enough time pass in between it and its prequel to have children grown by then... and samid game was designed before its prequel. Not to mention only a tiny portion of said game's cast were the children of a character from the prequel.... Long story short, this is assuming too much stuff that ain't a guarantee.

2 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

I also love how offspring seals were used mechanically!

That makes one of us... the concept wasn't bad, but the execution was horrid. It doesn't really help that some kids had paralogues that were, to be blunt, total shit lategame.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

lmao no tbh.

They were fine in Awakening because plot and they had that whole time-travel theme. In Fates they were honestly just fanservice and how it's implemented really doesn't make much sense and it kinda just turned into a mess. I'd much rather have no children from here on out because I feel like we need a break from them and need to focus on more 1st gen characters.

12 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

True can't go wrong with more blue hair! :P I just finally want eye color inheritance above all so much more cooler combinations!

Maybe inheritable hair? If the new FE uses a graphical style like Warriors i can see them not using 2D art and instead just using models and using something like the live 2D assets used in Fates.

Or at least the models having accessories inherited from their parents like how Soleil uses Olivia´s headband.

On 18/12/2017 at 5:52 AM, EdeaCreamer said:

This is what I'd like too. It would make the army less crowded, allow for a second gen without sacrificing gen 1's characterization, and let the kids exist independantly, with their own plotline. And hopefully, FE switch could have paralogues more like the older games instead of all of them existing to collect your instant babies.

On 12/14/2017 at 4:39 AM, Galap said:

Only if it were in a two-generation system, rather than weirdly shoehorning them in by coming across time or fast aging or something.

My thoughts exactly. That system was really cool in FE4.

If we can have them without time-travel and without the "baby-dimension", then sure.

You could always make them purely post-game content, like good ol' bonus units in FE6, 8 and 9. Let them be usable in whatever multiplayer thing we get. After the game's out, you release dlc that lets you play chapters for the kids, and give them supports amongst each other. 

10 hours ago, Cornguy said:

You could always make them purely post-game content, like good ol' bonus units in FE6, 8 and 9. Let them be usable in whatever multiplayer thing we get. After the game's out, you release dlc that lets you play chapters for the kids, and give them supports amongst each other. 

Slight problem... outside of Awakening, there's practically nothing worth calling a postgame. And FE's multiplayer tends to suck. So as far as I'm concerned, these ideas fall woefully short. 

14 hours ago, Kori said:

This is what I'd like too. It would make the army less crowded, allow for a second gen without sacrificing gen 1's characterization, and let the kids exist independantly, with their own plotline. And hopefully, FE switch could have paralogues more like the older games instead of all of them existing to collect your instant babies.

I already stated my issues with this earlier, but FE4 did something like that, and it was the second generation whose characterization suffered.

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Slight problem... outside of Awakening, there's practically nothing worth calling a postgame. And FE's multiplayer tends to suck. So as far as I'm concerned, these ideas fall woefully short. 

You could always, not have them at all. But I don't want them shoehorned into the plot like in Awakening and Fates. Outside of Lucina, the characters themselves weren't even important, they may as well have been post-game content. 

I guess you don't like them, but I enjoyed Creature Campaign, as well as completing all the post-game maps in Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. They could use some refinement, sure, but as a whole they're enjoyable. 

2 minutes ago, Cornguy said:

You could always, not have them at all. But I don't want them shoehorned into the plot like in Awakening and Fates. Outside of Lucina, the characters themselves weren't even important, they may as well have been post-game content. 

I guess you don't like them, but I enjoyed Creature Campaign, as well as completing all the post-game maps in Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. They could use some refinement, sure, but as a whole they're enjoyable. 

Bold: What the hell does Fates have to offer in terms of postgame??? Because I don't consider its hot mess of PvP anything other than just that.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: What the hell does Fates have to offer in terms of postgame??? Because I don't consider its hot mess of PvP anything other than just that.

I like leveling my units after the story's over. I don't know about you, but I don't play dlc chapters until a playthrough's over.

It's not much for post-game content I admit. Why do you seem so hostile about it?

I like FE4 style, but it would have to be really well done in a new game. The time skip would have to be well thought out, story wise, and lore wise. And how well the pre-time skip story explains the time skipped part. In all honesty, I think it takes too much work for children characters to be well received, and would rather them just scrap the idea completely. Or take it a new route.

Here's my idea on how to do children characters. It's a simple solution. Have them pre-existing in the game already. No births, no crazy plot device like time travel or outrealms. Preset marriages is the biggest downside to this. But I'd rather IS to spend more time on other customizable things, and implement entirely new customization to all characters. That's a lot better quality than children and marriage choices IMO. 

In short, definitely had enough of the Awakening/Fates style children.

5 hours ago, TwinBlade said:

Here's my idea on how to do children characters. It's a simple solution. Have them pre-existing in the game already. No births, no crazy plot device like time travel or outrealms. Preset marriages is the biggest downside to this

Solution: add a couple of new mechanics: Divorcing and remarrying. lmao

Seriously, the amount of plot bending needed for child units is too maddening.

Really, the only game that did this well is Awakening, and that was because it was written from the ground up with the two generations and time travel in mind, and by limiting S-rank choices. Fates blew it despite the improved pair-up mechanic. How many people blame Fates' writing issues on that team being over-worked from the hundreds of supports the game needed to have written from the massive cast being set to marry?

Just let the child unit mechanic die with the 3DS era and give us more units on a single generation with better support convos.

45 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Seriously, the amount of plot bending needed for child units is too maddening.

Really, the only game that did this well is Awakening, and that was because it was written from the ground up with the two generations and time travel in mind, and by limiting S-rank choices. Fates blew it despite the improved pair-up mechanic. How many people blame Fates' writing issues on that team being over-worked from the hundreds of supports the game needed to have written from the massive cast being set to marry?

Just let the child unit mechanic die with the 3DS era and give us more units on a single generation with better support convos.

Um, just what do you mean by Awakening limiting S rank choices??? Because outside of two certain characters, one of whom was the lord, there were no restrictions on marriage.

No I'd prefer not, I don't have a problem with S-ing a unit but the childs are unnecessary imo. Especially if it's handled like Fates. It honestly felt like I was picking up pokemons when I did the children missions with the whole time chamber nonsense. 

Honestly, the only thing i liked about the Children are the customization, and this can be solved by having a Master/Student system or something like that, where you can get an ''Older'' unit teach something to a ''younger'' unit, or something like that.

58 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, the only thing i liked about the Children are the customization, and this can be solved by having a Master/Student system or something like that, where you can get an ''Older'' unit teach something to a ''younger'' unit, or something like that.

This sounds a bit on the convoluted side, for one, and second, older characters tend to not show up much in these games...