Which language do you play this game in?

Flying Shogi

Language in which you play the game in?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Language in which you play the game in?

• German
    • English[Europe/Australia]
    • English[US]
    • Spanish[Europe]
    • Spanish[Latin America]
    • French
    • Japanese
    • Chinese[Traditional]
    • Italian
  2. 2. Is your primary language available as a language option in this game?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you consider the language you play the game in to be your primary language?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Did you ever play the game in another language other than your primary language at one point?

• Yes
    • No

Just something I was curious about. I can only list the languages the game is available in so not every language is a choice.

Anyway, here are my responses:

1. I play the game in Japanese.

2. Yes; my primary language(English[US]) is available as a language option in this game.

3. No; I consider English to be my primary language.

4. Yes; I'm currently doing that since I play the game in Japanese. I think I played the game in English up until the summer months and then I discovered that I can play it in Japanese so I switched over.

Edited by tobuShogi

I personally always play games in English (with English audio whenever dual audio is provided as an option). While I took Japanese through most of High School, English is the only language I speak fluently and have kept up with, and I prefer to be able to understand what is being said without the aid of Google Translate or some such.

I play in English. I tried to play the game in Japanese at one point, but I had a lot of difficulty deciphering what the characters were saying, so I had to switch back to English to understand the story.

There isn’t any Fire Emblem game translated into my language at all, not to speak of Heroes. So I’m playing in the language I’m most proficient beside my primary language, and that is English.

But even despite choosing [Europe/Australia], American spellings like “defense”, “armor”, or “catalog” are still there. What’s up with that, IS/Nintendo/whoever?

Well, I'm playing in English. Why is it that you can choose Russia as a region, but there is no russian language. Even it were there, I'd be afraid of how they would butcher the terms (i'm still reeling from awful SC Remastered localization)

And yes, english is my secondary, but I usually play games in english because, well, awful localizations, or no localization at all.

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

I started to play Heroes in my primary language (German) but switched to English at some point.  The change made it easier for me to participate in this forum and to share screenshots for example. 

exactly this

40 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

Well, I'm playing in English. Why is it that you can choose Russia as a region, but there is no russian language.

Hey, you’re Russian too? Amazing.

I haven’t tried the SC remaster… is the translation really that bad?

12 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I haven’t tried the SC remaster… is the translation really that bad?

Well, it's not THAT bad... but it's like they looked at SC2 translation, and decided "Let's make a better translation than that" and failed at actually doing it. IMO, it's is on about the same level as 7Wolf's Brood War translation. Tbh, it's not like i'm any good at judging translations, unless they REALLY screw it up (i couldn''t unhear russian voices in Silent Hill 3 for several days after finding english voiced version)

Edited by Kruggov

I've been encouraged to learn English as soon as I come to the US when I was 7 years. I wasn't too interested, until I was stuck for a long time in Paper Mario, which finally advanced once I started paying attention to the texts, which where exclusively in English back then. Since then, I've been improving my knowledge on the language with VGs since then, and stick with it even when given the chance to change it to Spanish (my native tongue). Fire Emblem Heroes is no exception

screw all of you, I got curious and decided to change language and see what happens, and now I've been getting that error 803-0003 all day.

otherwise, I've got nothing else to contribute, english, my primary language. and I already answered that last option in the previous part.

I've always played my games in English since I was a kid so there's no reason to change that now. It may be just me but seeing things in Spanish feels awkward. 

To answer in order:

1. I play in English
  2. My primary language is available in the game (Spanish [Latin America])
  3. I don't know how to answer this...I'm equally proficient at both Spanish and English (whether that means that I'm pretty good at English, or that I suck at Spanish).
  4. I tried playing in Japanese at one time to hear the different voice actors but I got lost in the menus and went back to English.
Edited by Alexmender

1. I play the game in English [US].

2. Sure is. I consider English my primary language, and it's available.

3. ^^Same.

4. I've played in Japanese a few times to try and force myself to "study." But a lot of the language isn't INCREDIBLY useful in day to day life (which is what I need), unless I'm talking about the game itself...or my interests in fantasy. I do like a lot of the voice acting more...except for Lucius. XD He sounds too much like a woman for my liking. Once I study kanji some more, I'll give it another shot.

17 hours ago, C. Turtle said:

I personally always play games in English (with English audio whenever dual audio is provided as an option). While I took Japanese through most of High School, English is the only language I speak fluently and have kept up with, and I prefer to be able to understand what is being said without the aid of Google Translate or some such.

The dual audio thing is a little tricky for me since that depends on which version I have been exposed to first. Although, I do have to say that I prefer the Japanese audio over the English version if I had the choice. 

Language proficiency is definitely something that fades with time if you don't keep up with it, especially kanji. I don't think I will ever forget the day I forgot how to write 勉強 because I haven't written in so long at that point. I can recognize it just fine but I just couldn't produce it. Sure, I was under a time pressure but still. 

16 hours ago, XRay said:

I play in English. I tried to play the game in Japanese at one point, but I had a lot of difficulty deciphering what the characters were saying, so I had to switch back to English to understand the story.

I can understand the story for the most part but there's usually one or 2 words that I haven't seen before in Japanese so I have to look it up, which is not a bad thing since it builds my vocab.

16 hours ago, KongDude said:

I play in English, only speak in English (I don't know shit in Hmong), and tried Japanese once and had trouble navigating and understanding things.

To this day I misclick on the options under the Ally screen, forcing me to actually read the labels. But yeah, it took me some time to get use to the Japanese text. Sometimes I get lazy and don't look up the reading of some words until I watch Japanese FEH Youtubers since they'll most likely talk about it.  

10 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I started to play Heroes in my primary language (German) but switched to English at some point.  The change made it easier for me to participate in this forum and to share screenshots for example. 

I get that. But I also think it's cool to see the game in another language. 

6 hours ago, Midnox said:

I've been encouraged to learn English as soon as I come to the US when I was 7 years. I wasn't too interested, until I was stuck for a long time in Paper Mario, which finally advanced once I started paying attention to the texts, which where exclusively in English back then. Since then, I've been improving my knowledge on the language with VGs since then, and stick with it even when given the chance to change it to Spanish (my native tongue). Fire Emblem Heroes is no exception

My family moved to the US when I was around that age too but I wouldn't say I was "encouraged" to learn English, more like it just happened lol To be honest, I consider my native tongue(Chinese) to be my weakest language since we speak a dialect at home and very few occasions require me to speak Mandarin. 

When I first played the game in Japanese, sometimes I would misread the quest details so it's made me more attentive to the text.  

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

screw all of you, I got curious and decided to change language and see what happens, and now I've been getting that error 803-0003 all day.

otherwise, I've got nothing else to contribute, english, my primary language. and I already answered that last option in the previous part.

Are you able to contact support via the app?

8 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

1. I play the game in English [US].

2. Sure is. I consider English my primary language, and it's available.

3. ^^Same.

4. I've played in Japanese a few times to try and force myself to "study." But a lot of the language isn't INCREDIBLY useful in day to day life (which is what I need), unless I'm talking about the game itself...or my interests in fantasy. I do like a lot of the voice acting more...except for Lucius. XD He sounds too much like a woman for my liking. Once I study kanji some more, I'll give it another shot.

Yeah, I couldn't call most the words that I've learned while playing the game in Japanese to be useful but I like learning Japanese so it doesn't bother me too much.

I think I got use to male characters sounding feminine since I watch anime. In the case for Lucius, I think I pulled him after I starting playing in Japanese so I don't really have any opinions on it especially since I barely use him. His turn will definitely come though. I'm down to like 3 healers without max HM so in a few more TTs, it'll be hist turn to shine.

1 hour ago, tobuShogi said:

Are you able to contact support via the app?

Looking into it, it seems to be a problem with the servers being bloated, it'll probably die down tonight or tomorrow after more people have finished the devs say thanks maps, I really hope that's the case because I don't like missing daily rewards and I still have a whole five orbs to get from the aforementioned maps and quests.

edit: turned out I needed to delete the cache, that was way harder to find an answer to than it needed to be.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

On 12.12.2017 at 2:42 PM, Kruggov said:

Well, I'm playing in English. Why is it that you can choose Russia as a region, but there is no russian language. Even it were there, I'd be afraid of how they would butcher the terms (i'm still reeling from awful SC Remastered localization)

And yes, english is my secondary, but I usually play games in english because, well, awful localizations, or no localization at all.

I would like Russian in the game if it ever comes out, but I am prepared for some cringe and disappointed just like you would. But at least it will give me some laugh

Edited by Skirt_chaser

22 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I do like a lot of the voice acting more...except for Lucius. XD He sounds too much like a woman for my liking.

Because he is voiced by a woman in JP :)

1. I'm playing the game in English (US) 
2. French is available
3. Nope
4. Nope. I've sometime switched the game to Japanese to hear some of the voice work, but I don't understand a lick of Japanese so I quickly switched back to English.

French is my primary language, but since I started playing games back when English was the only options, I've always stuck with English when playing games (The first game I remember offering the option to play in French was a pokemon game and at that point I knew all the English names by heart, so there was no way I was going to relearn all the name in French). 

In fact, nearly all my media consumption is in English at this point. There's not as much original French writing for the types of books I like and playing games in English makes it easier to communicate with people or search for information, so outside of music, it's pretty much English only for me. 

• 6 months later...
  1. I play the game in English (Europe/Australia)
  2. Dutch isn't available.
  3. No, I consider Dutch my primary language, although English comes in at a close second.
  4. Yes actually, I switch languages all the time. I like learning languages, and because it's so easy changing languages in this app I think it's a great tool for learning them. I mostly just compare conversations with certain characters in English to the same conversations in other languages. That way I can learn some Spanish, French, German etc. through my favorite mobile game!

1. I play the game in English
2. German is available
3. also my primary language, still I began to play many games in englisch, because I had my experience with bad german localization as I was young (Secret of Mana was ruined)
4. Sometimes I switch to japanese, I'm still in the process of learning and I think that combining it with things I love is worth it. 

1. I play the game in English
  2. Filipino is not available
  3. Yes, having been born and raised in the US West Coast.
  4. I switch to French and German every now and then, just for kicks (and to see if I can still comprehend both of them, having studied both in college).