• Yellow - kept Pikachu and all 3 starters you can get
  • Leafgreen - Squirtle
  • Soulsilver - Totodile, then Chikorita
  • Gold - Cyndaquil
  • Sapphire - Torchic
  • Ruby and Omega Ruby - Treecko
  • Emerald - Mudkip
  • Pearl - Turtwig
  • Platinum - Chimchar (my first starter!)
  • White - Oshawott, then Tepig
  • White 2 - Snivy, then Oshawott
  • X - Fennekin
  • Moon and Ultra Moon - Incineroar

So I usually pick my favorite starter first, and then if I replay it or play a different version I try one of the other two. Except for gen 7 because I love cats and couldn't resist choosing Litten twice. :D:

Gen 1: Bulbasaur

Gen 2: Cyndaquil

Gen 3: Treecko

After Gen 3 I've stopped using starter Pokémon in my in game parties but I picked these before shoving them into the PC box.

Gen 4: Turtwig

Gen 5: Snivy

Gen 6: Fennekin

Gen 7: Litten

• 4 weeks later...

For most games as a kid, I did a lot of runs and very often switched it up, so I've used them all at some point.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur might be my favorite, I think I did a fun number of Charizard runs too, Blastoise was used with the least interest.

Gen 2: Cyndaquil easily, but Totodile comes in a close second, Chikorita is the distant third.

Gen 3: I think my first was Torchic, but Mudkip is sweet too. Treecko comes in a distant third, but I prefer its evolutions over Mudkip's I think.

Gen 4: Chimchar, with Piplup used the second most. Turtwig came in third, but from what I've played, Gen 4 has the best final evolutions overall, Torterra is a fine match for Empoleon and Infernape.

Gen 5: My one run was Tepig. I predict that if I did a second it'd be Oshawott. A clear anti-Grass starter bias rises from me.

Gen I: I have played Red, Blue, and Yellow enough to have chosen all starters (yes, I know Yellow doesn't count towards this), but my first and favorite was Charmander. I never finished Yellow.

Gen II: I have played Gold, Silver, and Crystal enough to have chosen all starters, but my first and favorite was Cyndaquil. I never finished Crystal.

Gen III: I have played Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald enough to have chosen all starters, but my favorite was Treecko. I can't remember whether I chose Treecko second or third.
Gen I, round 2: I chose Bulbasaur for Leaf Green.

Gen IV: I...can't remember whether or not I ever chose Chimchar. I remember taking Turtwig for Pearl and Piplup for Platinum, but...I think those are the only two runs I did this generation. Turtwig was my favorite here.
Gen II, round 2: I chose Cyndaquil for Soul Silver.

Gen V: I chose Snivy for Black and Oshawott for Black 2. My favorite here was Snivy.

Gen VI: I chose Fennekin for X.
Gen III, round 2: I chose Treecko for Omega Ruby.

Gen VII: I chose Rowlet for Moon. I am unsure about whether or not I will buy Ultra Moon. If I do, I think I will start with Popplio.

What does this say about me?
Water is Wrong and Bad. Team Magma would like to remind you that water makes the world worse for all those adorable Charmanders.
I still liek Mudkipz.

• 2 weeks later...

Gen 1: Charmander

Gen 2: Cyndaquil

Gen 3: Oh yeah, I actually did play that one. But honestly, I can't even recall any of the starters, let alone which one I picked. That game just didn't do it for me.

Gen 7: Litten - I really didn't want to go with the fire starter again but I just couldn't say no to that little kitty. Plus, the settings seemed to be all waves and palmtrees, so I figured that fire types would be relatively hard to come by. If only I had known just how weak it's final form would turn out to be. Nevermind how just about every Pokemon in Aloha is a Dark type. I struggled enough against Fighting types already, so I really didn't need another one. I wonder how it would have performed if I had kept it in it's second stage and gave it the Evolite instead.

Edited by BrightBow

• 3 weeks later...

Gen 1: Grass (Bulbasaur's evolution line has good matchups against most gyms)

Gen 2: Grass

Gen 3: Water (Mudkip's evolution line is decent to good for the entire game)

Gen 4: I've used all of them, so I can't really decide

Gen 5: Water

Gen 6: Grass

Gen 7: Water (I like Primarina's mermaid aesthetic; the same cannot be said of its gender ratio, however)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Red: Squirtle
Sapphire: Mudkip
Diamond: Chimchar
Pearl: Turtwig
Heart Gold: Totodile
Black: Snivy
White: Oshawott
Black 2: Snivy
White 2: Oshawott (This was my first Pokémon game, so Oshawott is very special to me).
X: Fennekin
Y: Froakie
AS: Mudkip
Sun: Rowlet
Ultra Moon: Popplio

Sapphire - Treecko

Fire Red - Bulbasaur

Leaf Green - Squirtle

Emerald - Mudkip

Diamond - Chimchar

Platinum - Piplup

Heart Gold - Cyndaquil

Soul Silver - Chikorita

Black - Tepig

White - Oshawott

Black 2 - Snivy

White 2 - Oshawott

Didn't play the 3ds games but if I did the starters would be - Froakie, Treecko and Litten.

Edited by ranger016

On 20/02/2018 at 12:34 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Gen 7: Water (I like Primarina's mermaid aesthetic; the same cannot be said of its gender ratio, however)

That's funny because thta's th reason I never chosed Primarina. You see, I always try to have a female starter.
And having Primarina female... juste doesn't seems right.

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

Blue: Charmander

Yellow: Forcibly Pikachu

Silver: Totodile

Crystal: Chikorita

Fire red: Charmander

Leaf green: Bulbasaur

Emerald: Treecko

Colosseum: Forcibly Espeon/Umbreon

XD: I evolved my Eevee into Vaporeon

Platinum: Piplup

Heartgold: Cyndaquil

Soulsilver: Chikorita

White: Snivy

Y: Fennekin

Omega Ruby: Treecko

Sun: Rowlett

Ultra Moon: Poplio

I've played through every game with basically every starter as well, these are just the starters I chose for my first play-throughs :p

The only starters I've never chosen and probably never will are Oshawott and Chespin. I don't own my copy of White anymore and I absolutely hate Chespin's evolved form lol.

I'm about to show my age.

Blue- Squirtle

Gold- Totodile

Crystal- Cyndaquil

FireRed- Charmander

Emerald- Torchic

Pearl- Chimchar

HeartGold- Pidgey

Platinum- Turtwig

White- Tepig

White 2- Oshawat

Y- Froakie

Omega Ruby- Mudkip

Moon- Rowlet

UltraMoon- Rowlet

On 15/05/2018 at 9:46 PM, SuperIb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Blue: Charmander

Yellow: Forcibly Pikachu

Silver: Totodile

Crystal: Chikorita

Fire red: Charmander

Leaf green: Bulbasaur

Emerald: Treecko

Colosseum: Forcibly Espeon/Umbreon

XD: I evolved my Eevee into Vaporeon

Platinum: Piplup

Heartgold: Cyndaquil

Soulsilver: Chikorita

White: Snivy

Y: Fennekin

Omega Ruby: Treecko

Sun: Rowlett

Ultra Moon: Poplio

I've played through every game with basically every starter as well, these are just the starters I chose for my first play-throughs :p

The only starters I've never chosen and probably never will are Oshawott and Chespin. I don't own my copy of White anymore and I absolutely hate Chespin's evolved form lol.

Just curious. The second one, the third one or both ?

Crystal : Chikorita. Not sure if I mentioned it already

Black : Emboar. First time I used it in Black, (because I didn't really like it back then).

White 2 : Snivy. I actually think of restarting with Oshavwot. Snivy is the worst choice, and in Challenge Mode will makes the game a little too hard.

X : Fennekin. First named i t Blaise, but I renamed her Delphine, since it's suh a perfect nickname.

6 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Just curious. The second one, the third one or both ?

Both tbh. I dunno why, they just look really bad to me :p But that's just my opinion on 'em.

(the ones I've bolded are still my favorite starters from that region)

Leafgreen: Charmander. A pokemon that looks like a dragon in its final form? Sign me up!
Gold/Soulsilver: Cindaquil. Gold was my first game and I loved charizard in the anime so I had to go with the fire type in this one.
Emerald/Saphire/ORAS: Torchic. I had a weak spot for fire types at the time.
Platinum: Turtwig. I wanted to do something different so what better way than to choose a grass type.
BW2: Snivy. I liked Snivy's design.
XY: Froakie because I really liked his final evolution's typing.
USUM: Rowlet because owls are cool and his subtype in his final form is original.

Edited by Hekselka

LeafGreen - Bulbasaur

Sapphire - Mudkip

Diamond - Piplup

Platinum - Piplup (again)

HeartGold - Chikorita

Black - Oshawott

White 2 - Snivy

- Fennekin

Alpha Sapphire - Treecko

Moon - Litten

Ultra Moon - Popplio

• 2 weeks later...

Khanto games : Squirtle (most of the time)

Jhoto games : Totodile

Hoenen games : Mudkip

Shinnoh : Turtwig and Chimchar

Unova : I benched then right away

Kalos : Chespin (who I nicknamed Chester every time)

Alola : I ended up benching them but I did favor Rowlet for his versatility at the beginning

Edited by Tediz64

• 2 weeks later...

So my nephew started a main Polémon game for the first time with me. Here are his choices :

Pokémon Y : Froakie,because he was the "most beautiful"

Pokémon Platinum : he was more into Turtwig. He also really love Torterra's design.

• 3 weeks later...

I follow the Pokemon series since I was little, and I always have the need to choose the grass type starter, except in gen VII because Popplio evolved into Primarina which is Fairy and I love Fairy types.

Blue and Leaf Green - Bulbasaur
Crystal and Heart Gold - Chikorita
Emerald and Omega Ruby - Treecko
Diamond and Platinum - Turtwig
White and White2 - Snivy
X - Chespin
Moon and Ultra Moon - Popplio

In most of the games I usually throw away the starter mid game, none of them (save for a few) are anything special and there are better mons to pick. All starters have going for them is high availability and the fact that they can power through the early gyms by themselves for the most part.