What Skills from Heroes would you like to see in a main series game?

Von Ithipathachai

In case you haven't noticed, Heroes introduced a lot of new Skills that haven't appeared in a proper Fire Emblem game yet.  So it feels like it would be a bit of a waste for some of those Skills not to show up in a future game.

So what Skills from Heroes would you like to see in say, FE16, and with what modifications?

In general, I'd like to see Heroes proc skills implemented and have them work the same as they do in Heroes (obviously, numbers would need to be rebalanced due to real FE games having more enemy units).

9 minutes ago, Refa said:

In general, I'd like to see Heroes proc skills implemented and have them work the same as they do in Heroes (obviously, numbers would need to be rebalanced due to real FE games having more enemy units).

Do you mean the skills themselves, or are you referring to the way skills charge in Heroes? I wouldn't want charges on every skill, but I think it could be interesting for a few of them to charge.

3 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:
  • I would be interested in seeing how Fire Sweep weapons will play in the main line games

They'd be broken in the hands of a player (not impossible to balance, but you'd have to add another downside), and decently balanced in the hands of enemy units.

1 minute ago, Cornguy said:

Do you mean the skills themselves, or are you referring to the way skills charge in Heroes? I wouldn't want charges on every skill, but I think it could be interesting for a few of them to charge.

The way skills charge.  I want every proc skill that is a % chance in the real FE games to use charges or be a command skill (e.g. you use them in the player phase similar to Echoes).  % based skills are pretty unreliable, so you can't plan around them proccing therefore making their strategic importance...very minimal unless they have a stupid high % chance of proccing.

I liked Tellius's skill set and system. Awakening's was too much work. Fates's looks like even more work.

Seeing as Heroes borrowed a lot of skills from the 3DS games that I haven't played much of, I honestly have no idea which ones aren't already in the main series.

55 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:
  • I would be interested in seeing how Fire Sweep weapons will play in the main line games
50 minutes ago, Refa said:

They'd be broken in the hands of a player (not impossible to balance, but you'd have to add another downside), and decently balanced in the hands of enemy units.

Firesweep weapons could have low base accuracy and give bonus accuracy to the unit that initiated combat and an accuracy penalty to the unit that didn't.

I would honestly love to see Wings of Mercy and Escape Route be the alternative to warp. Teleportation strats. Also Desperation and Quick Riposte would also add flavor to phase specific units, and Brash Assault can be mixed in with units who have high avoidance.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Firesweep weapons could have low base accuracy and give bonus accuracy to the unit that initiated combat and an accuracy penalty to the unit that didn't.

That could definitely work.

Skills based on Res. With the infrequency of mages in main series games, Defense is easily the best of the three defensive stats. HP got to be quite useful in the case of Echoes due to magic spells and combat arts consuming health, but something tells me those two mechanics are not something we can expect going forward. So assuming we're moving forward from Fates' skill system, then I'd like to see basically the threaten skills only they're always active in combat and depend on the unit's Res to activate.

As for special skill procs versus RNG skills, I'd like a medium between the two. The concept of charging up things was first toyed with in fates with the Dual Guard mechanic, and I thought that was an excellent addition. Being able to depend on avoiding damage, or dealing more damage in the case of Heroes, adds another layer of strategy to the game. The only problem with this is you have no way of knowing the order of when enemies take their turn. If there was a way of knowing that in a Fire Emblem game, I would be in favor of procs, but as is I'd stick with RNG. Either everything is random or none of it is.

Edited by Glennstavos

Taking the question literally, then it's Quick Riposte, no doubt about it. I've long had issues with the extremely binary nature of how speed is implemented in Fire Emblem, and while ideally a complete ground-up redesign would be ideal, QR is the most expedient and elegant solution to slow unit hell.

More broadly, I'm a big fan of how deterministic combat is in Heroes. Taking away hit chances for a mainline game might be a bridge too far, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Heroes charge system for specials completely replace RNG critical hits (and in doing so, eliminate the silly luck stat as well).

Finally, with a more deterministic system, you do sort of need to add more emphasis on picking your fights, so with the above change it'd also be necessary to port over the increased weapon triangle effects, as well as the skills that manipulate them.