Tiki (Ylissean Summer)

BANRYU

BtlFace_98.png?itok=VJpf2myn

Tiki: Summering Scion

Summer Tiki is one of those peculiar units whose balanced stat build can be seen as a detriment, making it difficult to know exactly how to build her or set her apart from the crowd. She has excellent Attack, just behind Cherche among axe-users... But so are many other prominent units like Hector and Legion, as well as lesser-used units like Bartre. Compared to her fellow axe-users, it can be difficult for her to find a niche that stands out... But likewise, her propensity for her stats to go in any of several numerous directions makes her quite flexible, capable of fulfilling multiple different roles depending on her nature and player preference. Unlike many other Axe-users like Cherche, Bartre, and Barst, she comes with a great kit for tanking out of the box and thus is great even with budget builds, making her easy to build for F2Players. One of her most noteworthy characteristics is her limited and useful weapon, the unassuming melon-on-a-stick that can potentially contribute to some ungodly stat-stacking, especially when combined with ally and/or summoner supports. And with the additions of weapon refinements, not only can this stacking get even more insane, the buffs to healers make it easier to keep Tiki at full health to take advantage of her Melon Smasher's buffs. One way or another, the eternal summer season she brings with her will be sure to leave an impression, whether in hearts or on faces. 

Level 40 stats:
HP: 32 / 35 / 38
Atk: 33 / 36 / 39
Spd: 27 / 30 / 33
Def: 29 / 32 / 35
Res: 21 / 24 / 27
Total: 157

Default skills:
Weapon: Melon Crusher+
Assist: --
Special: Sol
Passive A: Close Defense 3
Passive B: --
Passive C: Axe Valor 3

Speed Stacked (speedtank build)
*Optimal Build* General Use, Arena Offense/Defense, Chain modes

Spoiler

Suggested IV: +Spd/-Res*, +Spd/-HP

• -Res*: 40 HP | 53 Atk | 42 Spd | 35 Def | 24 Res
  • -HP: 37 HP | 53 Atk | 42 Spd | 35 Def | 27 Res

Weapon: Slaying Axe+ [Spd] / Melon Crusher+ [Spd] 
Assist: Swap / Reposition
Special: Bonfire
Passive A: Fury 3
Passive B: Wrath 3* / Desperation 3 / Vantage 3 / Escape Route 3
Passive C: Spd Smoke 3* / Threaten Speed 3 / flexible
Sacred Seal: Spd+3

Despite her relatively low base speed stat, Tiki can actually reach some pretty ungodly heights of speed-- something that's essential for her to properly tank things, as her defense isn't quite high enough to shrug off damage and getting doubled can be pretty deadly for her that way. And the great thing is that (barring only her optimal B-slot, to which there are plenty of still-useful alternatives) this is a relatively easy and inexpensive build to make with the right IV.

With a Speed boon and the base skills listed, Tiki hits a whopping 44 Speed in combat at full health, and this can swing even higher, topping off at a maximum of 48 with an adjacent S-support ally and Summoner support-- and that's before any Hones or Spurs are even involved. With this level of speed, Tiki wields an impressive level of destructive force on player phase,  as well as being capable of baiting and countering AI-controlled enemy phase-centric units like Dorcas, (who otherwise defeats her if she attempts to initiate) giving her a level of offensive and defensive versatility that few axe units can boast. Furthermore, the high-tier sword units that typically counter axe-users with no problem, like Ayra and Ryoma, cannot hard-counter her due to being unable to double her in all but the most speed-focused builds, and her speediness on defense means that her vulnerable HP stat is that much more difficult to target with Moonbow.

And though the extra boost provided by her Melon Smasher is extremely useful, running Slaying Axe+ is a great alternative for teams/players that can't be bothered to keep Tiki at full health to get her melon boosts-- and being able to fire off Bonfires as frequently as Moonbows is no small boon. Either way (but especially if running Melon Smasher), Tiki WILL want to help end battles quickly to get back to her vacay, since the one detriment to her tankiness is the recoil from Fury and the melons.

In terms of other skills, everything that heightens speed is strictly paramount to the success of the set, with Threaten Speed being the only not-particularly-mandatory option present. Speed+3 can also be used as a budget alternative to Fury if inheritance fodder for it is unavailable, since Speed is her most important stat, despite the buffs to her other stats being very nice as well. For her B-slot, Wrath is the undisputed best choice for her, since the HP loss makes it easy to get in range of it and her speed makes it easy to fire off procs. In lieu of that rare and expensive skill, plenty of options are available to her including Desperation, Vantage, Escape Route, Renewal (since she will otherwise need healer support to use her Melon boosts more than once), and Guard (useful if you DO run a healer in order to keep her safe from Moonbow/Luna). 

If your opponents go in expecting the usual tanky axe build, you could say that things might get unpleasant.

Brave Beachster (standard Brave Axe)
General Use, Arena Offense, Chain modes

Spoiler

Suggested IV: +Atk/-Res*, +Atk/-HP^, +Atk/any

• -Res*: 35 HP | 47 Atk | 25 Spd | 32 Def | 21 Res
  • -HP^: 32 HP | 47 Atk | 25 Spd | 32 Def | 24 Res

Weapon: Brave Axe+
Assist: Reposition / Reciprocal Aid^
Special: Bonfire
Passive A: Brazen AtkDef 3* / Death Blow 3
Passive B: Axebreaker 3 / Desperation 3^ / Drag Back
Passive C: Threaten Def 3 / flexible
Sacred Seal: Atk+3 / Brash Assault 3^

The standard Brave Axe fare; Tiki has a very high attack, so a +Atk-natured Tiki may as well get the most use out of it. Bonfire, Death Blow or Brazen Atk+Def, Threaten Def, and of course the weapon itself are all staples, while Axebreaker nets her the most extra kills possible against her fellow bulky axe-users. Bartre does this better due to being more of a specialized tank than Tiki and packing the same Atk stat, but it's nonetheless a solid option for her. As an always risky (if worthwhile) alternative, running Brash Desperation turns her into a deadly glass cannon with no need for speed, with her low HP assisting in getting into Brash Assault range-- it's riskier and less reliable certainly, but if the conditions can be reliably met, it's deadlier than the safer alternative by far. Drag Back is also an option if Brash Desperation doesn't appeal to you and Tiki's team can handle axes just fine. 

Budget Vacation (budget build)
General Use, Chain modes

Spoiler

Suggested IV: +Atk/-Res, +Def/-Res, +Spd/-Res, +any/-Spd

• +Atk: 35 HP | 53 Atk | 30 Spd | 36 Def | 21 Res
  • +Def: 35 HP | 50 Atk | 30 Spd | 39 Def | 21 Res
  • +Spd: 35 HP | 50 Atk | 33 Spd | 38 Def | 21 Res

Weapon: Melon Crusher+ [Def]
Assist: Swap
Special: Bonfire / Sol
Passive A: Close Defense 3
Passive B: Quick Riposte 2-3
Passive C: Atk Smoke 3 / Threaten Atk 3 / flexible
Sacred Seal: Atk Smoke 3 / Close Defense 3 / flexible

A very simple build only requiring two inherits from common, not very rare units, this is a great way to set up a Summer Tiki for general usability that still performs just great as a solid green tank. Swap + Quick Riposte 2 from Subaki and your choice of buff/debuff from another unit (Fortify Res from Sophia / Soren is useful and relatively easy to obtain, as is Fortify Speed from Matthew) round out her battle skills and set her ready to go. Adding Bonfire from male Robin or her fully-dressed incarnation is also highly suggested, but if fodder for them is not available or needed elsewhere more, her default special of Sol synergizes quite nicely with her base kit despite not being particularly optimal. And of course, this will work with just about any stat spread and performs just fine in spite of her IVs. If you want to run Tiki as the standard enemy phase tank and/or don't have the correct IV for one of the other builds, this is all you really need to do for her. 

Edited by BANRYU

Your base attack values are all off by one. It should be 33/36/39. Otherwise, good suggestions. I run the speed build with Vantage instead of Desperation, and it seems to be working fine, especially on arena defense. 

12 hours ago, Eridras said:

Your base attack values are all off by one. It should be 33/36/39. Otherwise, good suggestions. I run the speed build with Vantage instead of Desperation, and it seems to be working fine, especially on arena defense. 

...that's... huh... not sure how I goofed on that, go figure e___e fixing momentarily, thanks for the catch.

Yeah I didn't think of Vantage admittedly but on folks with good Atk who take recoil that's always a solid option, I'll make mention of it. 

How DOES this build perform in practice, by the way? I came up with it on principle, but the only Summer Tiki I was ever able to pull was -Spd, so I haven't been able to attempt or test it out myself.... 

Edited by BANRYU

1 hour ago, BANRYU said:

...that's... huh... not sure how I goofed on that, go figure e___e fixing momentarily, thanks for the catch.

Yeah I didn't think of Vantage admittedly but on folks with good Atk who take recoil that's always a solid option, I'll make mention of it. 

How DOES this build perform in practice, by the way? I came up with it on principle, but the only Summer Tiki I was ever able to pull was -Spd, so I haven't been able to attempt or test it out myself.... 

I really like how she’s no longer reliant on QR to kill things now. I run mine with the Close Defense seal, so she can still tank about as well as she used to, with the added benefit of Vantage. I’m toying with double Savage Blow to make the Vantage attack the killing blow.

Mine is paired up with Halloween Nowi and they make a very good pair together. Tiki becomes even scarier with the +2 across all stats, plus Nowi runs Hone Attack 3 when she’s not in Flier Emblem. A max of 61 Attack on her first initiation with 43 speed is nuts. 

My Summer Tiki is +Def -HP, so I run close to what your Budget Build is.  I have Axebreaker 3 as Slot B for now, and decided to upgrade the Melon Crusher+ to increase defense.  At base her Defense is 39, not including the +2 boost from MC.  With Axebreaker and Close Def Slot A and Sacred Seal, she becomes basically melee goddess against axe and lance users.  It's fun to use in Arena Assault.

For your speedtank build, do you recommend the Desperation build?  Her HP is naturally low, so it would be easy to get into <75% range, and with Slaying Axe+/Moonbow combined with her high attack would make her a pseudo-Ayra.

4 hours ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

My Summer Tiki is +Def -HP, so I run close to what your Budget Build is.  I have Axebreaker 3 as Slot B for now, and decided to upgrade the Melon Crusher+ to increase defense.  At base her Defense is 39, not including the +2 boost from MC.  With Axebreaker and Close Def Slot A and Sacred Seal, she becomes basically melee goddess against axe and lance users.  It's fun to use in Arena Assault.

For your speedtank build, do you recommend the Desperation build?  Her HP is naturally low, so it would be easy to get into <75% range, and with Slaying Axe+/Moonbow combined with her high attack would make her a pseudo-Ayra.

Yeah, that was why I was thinking Desp would be a good option, and likewise Eridas' suggestion of Vantage works well for the same reason. Both are definitely worthwhile, and Desperation certainly synergizes well, and she HAS the speed to use it. Not gonna lie though, Wrath is hands-down the best option IF you can get it. Her kill counts rocket through the roof when she has that equipped on the sims, and it's not hard to see why. 

But yeah! The budget build can actually end up being really good for her, since her tank builds don't require that many inherits regardless. I could have just as easily named it a tank build as a budget build, honestly. That's one of her strengths over other axes, really. 

Edited by BANRYU

The way I planned my Tiki was that I wanted to take advantage of her MelonCrusher-powered first initiation to wipe out one unit, then turn her into a landmine that used a Bonfired-Vantage hit to bait and kill another unit before her HP hit dangerous levels. 

Spoiler

jCBnKSm.jpg

Missing her usual Close Defense seal in this picture.

If I ever get an influx of Shannas, I’d like to try out Desperation, especially if she’s near her ally support.  Wrath also feels nuts, but I’d need another Nephenee first.