Disturbing Content

release_dopamine

The SNES Fire Emblem's feature, by far, the most mature and dark content of the series. Genealogy/Thracia 776 feature child hunting and village slaughters, as well as some incest thrown into the mix. One of the more disturbing pieces of story I found from these games was in Thracia 776:

Spoiler

During chapter 5: "Mother and Child", while under Raydrik's captivity, Eyvel is taken into an arena with the promise of seeing Nanna and her adopted daughter, Mareeta. Eyvel had been tricked and instead is met only by Nanna, as well as numerous enemy warriors. Raydrick had given Mareeta the Shadow Sword, which laid a curse upon Mareeta, causing her to become uncontrollably hostile towards Eyvel and Nanna.

Fast forward to the end of chapter 6: The Escape. At the end of chapter 6, after Leif's escape, a scene shows Raydrik and one of his soldiers discussing guards having been ambushed and that Mareeta was taken. The soldier remarks that Galzus, Mareeta's father, was nearby when she was taken. The soldier's claimed to see the markings of Odo on his back, to which Raydrick responds:  "I can see why he let that girl escape... I saw the same markings on her back as well... Hahaha..."

To infer what he means by this would mean that he saw her bare back, the first thought that came into mind was that he had raped her and seen the markings on her back during, or the less disturbing of the two being that he tortured her. I found this piece of dialogue to be the the most disturbing thing I've seen out of the Fire Emblem games, even after all the talked about child huntings, massacres and noted incest, the way Raydrick's laugh types in slowly with each "Ha" "ha" "ha..." sent chills up my spine. It should also be noted that Mareeta is fifteen in Thracia 776.

While I see that the guards noticed the markings of Odo on Galzus's back, meaning they would have had to have seen his bare back, I think it's safe to assume that he would have been fine with removing his shirt in front of some guards, whereas Mareeta, a girl, would have been less comfortable doing so, especially as a captive, and not a warrior working for Raydrick.

Let me know what you think, and I'd love to hear from others what they found within the Fire Emblem games to be disturbing or surprisingly dark.raydrick.thumb.png.894d5899b6b432b983082e27acfd7bae.png

I don't necessarily think Mareeta was raped. Most of Mareeta's life up until the start of the game, Mareeta is with Eyvel, so even with being captured, the window would have been pretty short. She also spends a good chunk of the time when she was taken over by the Dark Sword and under Raydrik's control with Saias, who I really doubt would let that happen. Raydrik, the massive asshole that he is, also doesn't strike me as a rapist.

There are other instances of implied rape in the Jugdral games, but there's usually some attention brought to them by the victims or someone close to them. This is more of a throwaway line. I expect it's more to show that Mareeta is Galzus' daughter than it is that Raydrik did anything to Mareeta, since ALL Odo descendants have the marking on their back.

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, given Jugdral, but I don't think that's what is going on here.

That said, I think the Bramsel scene with Lene/Laylea is the most messed up scene in Fire Emblem, since that more than crossed the line of "implied" rape.

Edited by Slumber

Also in Jugdral: Tailtyu was abused in every way possible by her sister in law Hilda, but survived until near the beginning of Gen 2, finally giving up the ghost. Leen/Laylea was either groped or raped by Bramsel, depending on if Sylvia had children or not. Diedre was effectively raped by Arvis given that she was mind-controlled by Manfroy, and had rape twins on top of that, and one of them turned evil.

Other FE: Micaiah and Robin both employ strategies to mass immolate their enemies. Micaiah fails, Robin doesn't, and the opponents they were fighting were very different. Both Valter and Narcian imply they want to either rape or torture Eirika(Valter) or Clarine (Narcian). Nyna's family was publicly and brutally executed by Khozen and Volzhin. In Conquest, Scarlet was brutally executed by Hans and put on display in Cheve.

Bandits generally make some remark about wanting to sell off your female party members and the implication is that rape will probably follow. That's generally not a problem because if you're a bandit in a Fire emblem chapter you're not gonna survive that chapter.

But Amalia's mother was held by bandits for years. And does she even get saved if Amalia doesn't support with Duessel?

33 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Other FE: Micaiah and Robin both employ strategies to mass immolate their enemies.

I actually don't give Robin much flack for that since they really didn't have much choice. If they didn't stop them, they would devastate their homelands and likely would not give them the same considerations. Sure, not all of the Valmese probably wanted to be there, but in the end, I place their lives at Walhart's feet, not Robin's.

40 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Diedre was effectively raped by Arvis given that she was mind-controlled by Manfroy, and had rape twins on top of that, and one of them turned evil.

It legitimately isn't rape. Arvis never forced himself on Deirdre. Also, the "mind-control" you are referring to isn't how you're saying. She had her memories erased so she didn't know that she was married and had a son. So by all means, it was consensual. 

Also, there's some disturbing cases for Nowi as well.

Nowi: But! But what about me?! I WON'T go back on the auction block!
Lissa: Wait. You've been sold? Like a...like a slave?!
Nowi: To men more despicable than you can possibly imagine. They made me transform for them... They drank and laughed and called out tricks…
Lissa: What kind of scumbags buy and sell a little girl?! Even if she CAN turn into a dragon…

Or what Panne says about how the taguel were treated in the past:

Libra: Your debt was to a man who died over a thousand years ago?
Panne: It is the debt of all the taguel. We are told the story as kits. In his time, the taguel were slaves to humans. Kept as labor—or even pets—we were treated worse than livestock. The slightest resistance would earn a swift execution, to serve as an example.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It legitimately isn't rape. Arvis never forced himself on Deirdre. Also, the "mind-control" you are referring to isn't how you're saying. She had her memories erased so she didn't know that she was married and had a son. So by all means, it was consensual.

Still pretty messed up, especially since they were half-siblings, and Deirdre looked very much like their mother. Honestly, calling Arvis a motherfucker would be quite the apt insult.

1 minute ago, RedRob said:

Still pretty messed up, especially since they were half-siblings, and Deirdre looked very much like their mother. Honestly, calling Arvis a motherfucker would be quite the apt insult.

That's precisely why Arvis fell in love with her, because she resembled his mother. He didn't learn until later on that she's his half-sister, but even after learning it, he still loved her. I admit it is messed up, but then again, Genealogy pretty much had one of the darkest stories.

Just now, Hardin said:

Deirdre was robbed of her ability to consent when Manfroy abducted and brainwashed her. It is not unreasonable to say that Arvis did rape Deirdre. 

Except Deirdre wasn't brainwashed at all. She had her memories erased, and was placed to be found by Arvis who would care for her. Their marriage was consensual as was the conception for a child. For Arvis to rape Deirdre, he would have to force himself on her. He did no such thing.

At the very least, Arvis was committing pseudo-incest by falling in love with Deirdre because he looked like his mother. That alone makes the relationship unhealthy, as it brings up whether he actually loved Deirdre, or whether just her looks.

1 minute ago, RedRob said:

At the very least, Arvis was committing pseudo-incest by falling in love with Deirdre because he looked like his mother. That alone makes the relationship unhealthy, as it brings up whether he actually loved Deirdre, or whether just her looks.

No, he legitimately fell in love with her, but the appearance was the initial attraction. But I do no deny that being with one's half-sister is unhealthy, but in their case, the unhealthy part was more with their Loptyr blood.

Under regular circumstances, Deirdre would not have consented to Arvis, she had to be manipulated for it to occur. How else can you interpret this scene in chapter 5?

Arvis:
“Hmph… Manfroy, I’ll say this once and only once, so listen good. I haven’t the slightest intention of rebuilding your Lopt Empire. I have no problem with your Lopt Sect existing, but I’m not leaving the world in the hands of the Dark Lord. You follow!? I don’t care if I have the Lopt Clan’s blood in me. I have Saint Maira’s blood and he fought for the good of the people. The Fire God Fala is also one of my ancestors. I will use my power to create a world which is free of prejudice. One where all peoples can live without fear of repression! Of course, Sigurd knows way too much. Consider him a sacrifice to the greater good.”

Manfroy:
“Hohoho… I assume that greater good includes Deirdre as well! Lord Arvis, you’re afraid, aren’t you. Afraid her memories may be restored!”

I am disgusted that I even need to point out something so blatantly obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Hardin said:

Under regular circumstances, Deirdre would not have consented to Arvis, she had to be manipulated for it to occur. How else can you interpret this scene in chapter 5?

I am disgusted that I even need to point out something so blatantly obvious. 

Fear. It was stated that Arvis was fearful that Deirdre was actually the missing wife of Sigurd, and didn't want to accept it. 

His fear of her memory returning is actually tied to the fear that she would leave him just like his mother had. 

Also, remember that Tatiana also hoped that Zeke (Camus) never regained his memories so that he would remain with her. He never told that he did regain his memories, but still, Tatiana acted similarly to how Arvis did, not wanting the one they love to remember in fear of losing them.

Ultimately, Arvis was just as much manipulated by Manfroy as Deirdre was. 

13 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Fear. It was stated that Arvis was fearful that Deirdre was actually the missing wife of Sigurd, and didn't want to accept it. 

His fear of her memory returning is actually tied to the fear that she would leave him just like his mother had. 

Also, remember that Tatiana also hoped that Zeke (Camus) never regained his memories so that he would remain with her. He never told that he did regain his memories, but still, Tatiana acted similarly to how Arvis did, not wanting the one they love to remember in fear of losing them.

Ultimately, Arvis was just as much manipulated by Manfroy as Deirdre was. 

That may be the case, but I'd say Arvis asking Dierdre to come out so Sigurd can see her before the mass execution that follows is still kinda messed up.

The case of Arvis is basically summed up by what Kaga said in the interview:

Q: Did Alvis know that Diadora was his half-sister?

A: Not in the beginning. Within the palace, there were few people who could tell him about Prince Kurth and Cigyun’s relationship, and he was only 7 years old when his father committed suicide, so he would likely have been uninterested in the palace gossip that was occurring during that time. Afterwards, his beloved mother Cigyun disappeared, but because of his powerful trust in his mother he wasn’t disturbed by the rumours. Alvis always held the belief that his mother would return for him. He became the ruler of the Velthomer family in his youth and his influence frightened the nobles. Often he would quarrel with them after they disrespected his mother (even though they spoke the truth) and in extreme cases, he even killed people.

Although he had no interest at all in girls, when he first saw Diadora he fell in love at first sight, which may have been influenced by his mother complex. After marrying Diadora, he noticed that Diadora often seemed to be another person, and was afraid that one day she would leave his side like his mother did. Gripped by this thought, he lived his days with great unease (so we can see how much he loved Diadora…) and heard rumours that “Sigurd’s wife had gone missing”, leading him to carefully watch Sigurd. So during Chapter 5, he progressed with his plan (to let Diadora meet Sigurd), which was caused by his inability to let go his endless worry. He obviously shouldn’t have checked, but he was unable to control himself; that was the extent of Alvis’s sorrow. Following that, he investigated Diadora’s past, traveling to the Spirit Forest, and found out that she was Cigyun’s daughter.

However, after discovering his wife was in fact his sister, his feelings still hadn’t changed. He simply tried his best to not let Diadora find out the truth. The sorrow that Diadora would feel after discovering the truth was the most unbearable thing for him… In the end, although Diadora never recovered her memory, she did discover that Sigurd was her husband, but she didn’t hate Alvis at all. When her own son Julius was about to kill her, she didn’t show any resistance, which is due to her subconsciously trying to repent for her crime. Regarding Diadora’s character, there are many ways one could judge her, but as for this issue, it is still too early to draw a conclusion.

Nobody said that Tatiana's actions were OK either. 

Arvis is aware that Deirdre has a past, and he does not disclose that to her. Using deception in a sexual relationship is considered a kind of force. Arvis is a rapist, and no sob story about his mommy issues excuse his crimes. 

Just now, Hardin said:

Arvis is aware that Deirdre has a past, and he does not disclose that to her. Using deception in a sexual relationship is considered a kind of force. Arvis is a rapist, and no sob story about his mommy issues excuse his crimes. 

No it isn't. Furthermore, the entire sexual relationship you are referring to is more because the king himself told Arvis and Deirdre to conceive a son to take the throne. Deirdre also went through this and knew the cases. 

I do not deny what Arvis did was wrong, and their relationship as half-siblings was unhealthy. However, I do not consider Arvis as a rapist because he never truly forced her into anything. EVerything that happened was all part of Manfroy's plan and manipulations.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That may be the case, but I'd say Arvis asking Dierdre to come out so Sigurd can see her before the mass execution that follows is still kinda messed up.

WHAT ABOUT THAT GAME ISN'T MESSED UP?

3 minutes ago, Hardin said:

Nobody said that Tatiana's actions were OK either. 

I mean, she was selfish, but does that make her a rapist? Granted, Zeke did regain his memories and still chose her.

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

WHAT ABOUT THAT GAME ISN'T MESSED UP?

The very fact that it remains to be the one and only game to actually have the first main lord get killed shows how dark this one went. There's a reason why Genealogy still is regarded as the best game to this day by many. Kaga really held nothing back in the Jugdral series and wanted to make sure that everyone understood how dark and messed up the world here can be. 

Hell, the entire motivation for Manfroy is purely for revenge because of how the people persecuted the Loptyrians.

I'd agree that Arvis, at least until before the BoB when he had the absolute truth before him, could not be considered that he forced Dierdre into anything. If anything, Dierdre was going to be wed to someone anyway, due to Grandbell's situation. Kurth was dead, Azmur not long for the world either, and no one there was aware of Seliph's full parentage left (and maybe of Seliph himself, for that matter). So they would preassure Dierdre to marry someone to continue Naga's lineage. Arvis simply went to secure that position, and it's not stated he did it outside the normal expections. He likely just courted her, and gained the support to have his relations with her.

It was more on Manfloy's actions, feeding him with paranoia and fear. But it's true that it was still Arvis's own actions all the way through.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

The very fact that it remains to be the one and only game to actually have the first main lord get killed shows how dark this one went. There's a reason why Genealogy still is regarded as the best game to this day by many. Kaga really held nothing back in the Jugdral series and wanted to make sure that everyone understood how dark and messed up the world here can be. 

Hell, the entire motivation for Manfroy is purely for revenge because of how the people persecuted the Loptyrians.

What about Chrom prime?

That's...not always a good thing. I get realism, but at the same time, I'd rather my games not make me depressed or outright appalled.