Going to borrow a friend's Japanese Gameboy Advance tomorrow

Thane

So does anyone have any must-know tips for Binding Blade? I don't want any spoilers or "lol use this unit to break the game", but I was wondering if there were some less-than-stellar design decisions to keep in mind or anything of that nature.

I've also heard there's a girl who steals from orphans or some shit.

8 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Hope you like same turn reinforcements.

One of the worst things from Awakening huh? I thought i had heard it was in Binding Blade. Why on earth would they ever bring that back...

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

One of the worst things from Awakening huh? I thought i had heard it was in Binding Blade. Why on earth would they ever bring that back...

And to make things worse, in most cases they appear without any prior warning

Some other things:

• The most accurate non-legendary axe in the game has a hit rate of 65%, so you might want to forgo using axes entirely
  • Roy is most certainly not your boy in this game
  • There are Gaiden chapters in this game, and certain requirements have to be met in the chapter preceeding it to unlock them (for example, finish the map in x turns or less, have certain characters alive, etc.). 
  • There are two small route splits in the game. 

All in all, you're better off not playing this game blind. Use a guide

Edited by UNLEASH IT

if you want to reach the true ending (that is, another 4 or so chapters), you need to recruit some characters and keep them alive, and you also need to go to all gaiden chapters, some of which have some requirements.

Like, for exemple, in chapter 16 you have to keep an enemy alive for the entirety of it.

This is a spoiler light guide that shows how to reach the gaiden chapters and also the true ending:

http://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe6/ENG_capopcionales.htm

I recommend looking at it, because it's pretty hard to reach it otherwise.

Edited by Nobody

If you want to spoil yourself on only one thing, check the gaiden requirements on the main page. They're usually just "keep X alive and don't dilly-dally", but the game doesn't make it very clear which chapters have a time limit. You need to visit all gaidens (and not break the weapons you find in them) to play the last few maps and get to the good ending.

If you want to spoil yourself on only two things, check how to recruit characters. The game does not tell you which characters to bring to a chapter in order to recruit the enemy with a face portrait. €: And sometimes, the recruitable characters won't even show up until some turns into the chapter.

The same-turn reinforcements aren't that bad, honestly. Be wary around forts and don't leave squishy units around your starting position, and you'll be fine most of the time.

Edited by ping

9 minutes ago, ping said:

If you want to spoil yourself on only one thing, check the gaiden requirements on the main page. They're usually just "keep X alive and don't dilly-dally", but the game doesn't make it very clear which chapters have a time limit. You need to visit all gaidens (and not break the weapons you find in them) to play the last few maps and get to the good ending.

10A, 11A In Chapter 9, don’t visit the right-most village to the north-east
10B, 11B In Chapter 9, visit the right-most village to the north-east

I'm...confused.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:
10A, 11A In Chapter 9, don’t visit the right-most village to the north-east
10B, 11B In Chapter 9, visit the right-most village to the north-east

I'm...confused.

There are two villages in chapter 9, if you visit neither or you visit the village on the left you get chapters 10a and 11a if you visit the right village you get chapter 10b and 11b.

Just now, Zasplach said:

There are two villages in chapter 9, if you visit neither or you visit the village on the left you get chapters 10a and 11a if you visit the right village you get chapter 10b and 11b.

Right. They're not different gaidens or anything? 

1 minute ago, Zasplach said:

No, but they give you different characters and chapters; they still end in chapter 12 which proceeds as normal.

Awesome, thanks. 

So from one thing to another, what are the chances that Roy turns out to, indeed, be my boy this game and get awesome stat growths?

One chapter has a General who you must NOT kill to proceed to the gaiden chapter (and you can't recruit said General by talking to him with the right units either - you can only get him if he survives that chapter).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 minute ago, Thane said:

So from one thing to another, what are the chances that Roy turns out to, indeed, be my boy this game and get awesome stat growths?

Not very high, his highest stat growths are hp skill and luck, but on normal mode (I assume that's what you will be playing) you can feed him all your stat boosters and he'll be decent enough when he promotes way late in the game and gets a great weapon.

Just now, Zasplach said:

Not very high, his highest stat growths are hp skill and luck, but on normal mode (I assume that's what you will be playing) you can feed him all your stat boosters and he'll be decent enough when he promotes way late in the game and gets a great weapon.

Don't do this.  These boosters are better used on actual productive members of your team (the exceptions being an Angelic Robe to help Roy survive).

1 minute ago, Refa said:

Don't do this.  These boosters are better used on actual productive members of your team (the exceptions being an Angelic Robe to help Roy survive).

Yeah, if you want to play the game on hard mode or efficiently or both, but if you want Roy to be your boy instead of dragging him along as a rescued useless body then give him stuff, normal mode is pretty easy already.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

Roy's problem aren't his growths - they're decent where it counts (Str, Spd) and amazing where it doesn't (Res, Lck) - his problems are a shaky start (actually less so on normal difficulty where he shouldn't have huge problems) and a very late promotion. If you're a bit lucky with his Str and Spd growth, he'll be able to one-round the final boss though, so that's (mostly irrelevant, but) nice.

Growth rates in general are slightly lower than in the other GBA games, I believe slightly under 300% in total is normal for a growth unit, so don't lose hope if a unit gets a one-stat level-up once in a while.

A general rule of thumb for choosing characters: Prepromotes are usually good for a limited timeframe. Use them as much as you need and drop them when they become obsolete. Growth units seem to be balanced by their 20/20 stats, so if you stumble across an underleveled unit with bad base stats, know what you get yourself into when you use them. I'm sure you've heard tales of Sophia and Wendy since you've been around SF for a while - they are useable, especially on normal mode, but it's a big investment with even less return than, say, Nino, Amelia, or Est herself.

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

Awesome, thanks. 

Literally does not matter since he promotes during the end credits

Edited by UNLEASH IT

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Challenge accepted! And it'll all be in glorious Japanese to make things a tad harder!

I have the japanese cart, and I understand 0 japanese. I played through this game on the sheer fact I had played so much 7, I had icons and inputs memorized in the menus. If I can do that, then it should be cake for you.

With that said, 6 is one of my all time favorites. I hope that you enjoy it!

The game isn't region-locked, you can play on a non-Japanese GBA.

That being said, I had trouble getting through the game simply because I like story and couldn't understand enough Japanese.  I didn't feel compelled to get to the next chapter, so... keep the script-translation open lol. Have fun!

17 hours ago, BrandedCharmer93 said:

The game isn't region-locked, you can play on a non-Japanese GBA.

That being said, I had trouble getting through the game simply because I like story and couldn't understand enough Japanese.  I didn't feel compelled to get to the next chapter, so... keep the script-translation open lol. Have fun!

Thanks a lot! I don't own a Gameboy Advanced myself though, so this is just fine. 

That said, these maps are big and pretty slow. Yeah yeah I know, Genealogy of the Holy War, but man these maps take a while to complete. Slap on some paranoia for same turn reinforcements and progress is made very slowly.