Going to borrow a friend's Japanese Gameboy Advance tomorrow

Thane

Take it from me as someone who really likes 6. 

1. Marcus and the variety of other prepromotes are really useful overall in FE6 (only a few duds but even they contribute in Normal mode fairly well). I know you said stuff about don't use this unit or use this unit, but I feel I should mention this in particular. Marcus tapers off around mid game, where Zealot and then Percival basically take his place.

2. Roy doesn't promote till near end the game, while he does have the best weapon type in the game he's hampered by his weak bases, and bad promotion, quite honestly the weakest lord in the franchise gameplay wise. 

3. Weapon ranks level very slowly in this game, so anyone with a C rank in staves is instant good utility due to their ability to use restore and various other useful staves. 

4. Axes are nearly at their worst here, there are acouple usable people with axes but overall the weapon type suffers massively unless they're fighting lancers. 

5. Bows are really good in this game unfortunately the first few users aren't particularly special (see my lines on good prepromotes and well the mounted archers for the good ones). 

6. The Gaiden requirements are typically doing a map related to said Gaiden in 20 turns or less. Along with certain characters related to the chapter being alive

7. Thrones are a pain the in the ass, so you need to get a dedicated boss killer with your own killer weapons, or whatever will be useful against the bosses on them. 

8. There is a path split dependent on if your Pegasus Knights or Normads are higher level towards the end game.

Some of this was mentioned above but heres just an overview  from me.

15 hours ago, Jedi said:

Some of this was mentioned above but heres just an overview  from me.

Appreciated, bud! I've got Rutger, Lugh and Zealot doing all the heavy lifting for me right now. Don't know if they're supposed to be as good as they are or if I've just been RNG blessed with them. Lugh in particular has killed by far the most bosses.

Quick question: convoy, how do I get it? Right now I'm afraid to remove my currently useless Durandal. Is Merlinus the convoy?

Just now, Thane said:

Quick question: convoy, how do I get it? Right now I'm afraid to remove my currently useless Durandal. Is Merlinus the convoy?

Yep, he is the convoy.

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Yep, he is the convoy.

So I need to field him to use stuff I send to it (which is sometimes by accident because of how the menus are set up)? Darn, is there no way to access it ibetween chapters?

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

Appreciated, bud! I've got Rutger, Lugh and Zealot doing all the heavy lifting for me right now. Don't know if they're supposed to be as good as they are or if I've just been RNG blessed with them. Lugh in particular has killed by far the most bosses.

Rutger's great, given that high accuracy (and +30 crit after promotion) is quite good in this game. Probably the best boss killer in the game, either with effective weapons or killing edges.
Lugh is decent - Anima is a very good weapon type in this game. It's counterbalanced by the fact that Mages tend to have lower stats overall than physical units, but Lugh's stats are still reasonable. On normal difficulty, he should be doubling quite reliably.
Jerrot/Zealot is going to fall off sooner or later (a promoted cavalier will most likely outdo him in most areas), but he's very good for about the first third or even half of the game.

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

So I need to field him to use stuff I send to it (which is sometimes by accident because of how the menus are set up)? Darn, is there no way to access it ibetween chapters?

Unlike FE7, you can send stuff to him even if he's not fielded, but yep, you can't take items out of the convoy during a fight without deploying him. By the sounds of it, you aren't far enough already, but you'll have proper battle preparations starting at chapter 6, though.

3 minutes ago, ping said:

Rutger's great, given that high accuracy (and +30 crit after promotion) is quite good in this game. Probably the best boss killer in the game, either with effective weapons or killing edges.
Lugh is decent - Anima is a very good weapon type in this game. It's counterbalanced by the fact that Mages tend to have lower stats overall than physical units, but Lugh's stats are still reasonable. On normal difficulty, he should be doubling quite reliably.

Funny, Lugh has been my most reliable boss killer so far. He's fast enough not to be doubled, and it feels like the vast majority of the bosses are beefy generals. So I just let them hit Lugh, he strikes back, then Clarine takes care of any potential damage dealt. Easy peasy!

4 minutes ago, ping said:

Jerrot/Zealot is going to fall off sooner or later (a promoted cavalier will most likely outdo him in most areas), but he's very good for about the first third or even half of the game.

Damn, I suspected as much. I'll be betting on Allan and Noah then. Allan has had insane level ups so far, so he should be gucci.

5 minutes ago, ping said:

Unlike FE7, you can send stuff to him even if he's not fielded, but yep, you can't take items out of the convoy during a fight without deploying him. By the sounds of it, you aren't far enough already, but you'll have proper battle preparations starting at chapter 6, though.

I just beat 10B actually. I'm talking to not!Reyson at the moment.

I miss my convoy. I don't even remember what I've sent to it.

45 minutes ago, Thane said:

Funny, Lugh has been my most reliable boss killer so far. He's fast enough not to be doubled, and it feels like the vast majority of the bosses are beefy generals. So I just let them hit Lugh, he strikes back, then Clarine takes care of any potential damage dealt. Easy peasy!

Armorslayers =) Effective weaponry has triple might in this game, unlike FE7, so all of those are really potent (well, except the Rapier which is still only as strong as a silver sword). The problem mages can have as bosskillers is that thrones give +5 Res, but hey, if Lugh works, he works. ;)

Just now, ping said:

Armorslayers =) Effective weaponry has triple might in this game, unlike FE7, so all of those are really potent (well, except the Rapier which is still only as strong as a silver sword). The problem mages can have as bosskillers is that thrones give +5 Res, but hey, if Lugh works, he works. ;)

That he does! So far at least.

Too bad I can't say the same for any anti ballistae tactics I should have. Rest in peace, random suicidal villagers; I'll try to save your kin in Awakening instead.