The reason why Ike kills Ashera

Icelerate

Who should get the final blow  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the final blow on Ashera?

People have complained that Ike is the only one who can finish off Ashera. Lately, I've been of the same opinion and my argument was this:

1. Ike has a lesser connection to Ashera compared to several other characters so it might be more fitting to see someone like Micaiah also get the final kill as well since she's the Apostle and the other main character.

2. Most bosses in other FE games can be killed by any unit you desire which is more fun because it can allow an underdog unit to get the kill. After all this is an RPG so you should be able to play the game in the way you desire.  

However after thinking about it logically, it makes perfect sense that Ike is the one who gets the kill.

Portrayal wise, Ike is the strongest forced deployed character in the tower. There is a reason why Ike is known as the Strongest Hero. Power is basically his shtick, more so than the other FE lords, especially Micaiah. Yune recognizes this and gives Ike her full power so that he can deliver the final blow because the one who has the highest chance of victory is the one who is strongest. One can argue why doesn't she just distribute her power evenly. The problem with this idea is that she's splitting her power which diminishes the gains each character gets and it makes more logical sense to enhance the strongest character power than to enhance everyone unless Ike can do a fancy collaboration attack with the others but its unlikely everyone can hit Ashera at the exact same time for this to work. 

Edited by Icelerate

They never established and backed up Ikes power enough to convince me that he is stronger than say Tibarn or Caenagis or Kurthnaga or Stefan.

Other Fire Emblem games avoided this issue, as they have specific weapons that can penetrate the final boss. Like Naga in FE4 or the Falchion. Ragnell does have some lore being the weapon that defeated the chaotic goddess, but it was only part of it.

Edited by Aircalipoor

If I was to suggest a change to this battle it would be that either Ike or Micaiah can deliver the final blow. However, I will add that because Ashera is primarily magic based it's debatable if Micaiah could do any damage on her in the first place making such a change possibly of no effect. Depending on how much damage she can do to Ashera in the first place. Meaning that units like Ike, Tibarn, Caineghas, Giffca, Skrimir, Harr etc. are better choices as they can probably do more damage to Ashera, again this depends on how much damage Micaiha can do to begin with.

It's never been about power. It's been about who can carry the weight of everyone's hopes and dreams and still get the job done. Ike is this in a nutshell from PoR to RD.

Gameplay-wise, yeah it's annoying that you can't just outright kill her, especially on Hard Mode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 3:54 AM, HeroMystic said:

It's never been about power. It's been about who can carry the weight of everyone's hopes and dreams and still get the job done. Ike is this in a nutshell from PoR to RD.

Gameplay-wise, yeah it's annoying that you can't just outright kill her, especially on Hard Mode.

That doesn't make much sense because the only one's hopes and dreams he carries are the Greil Mercenaries, Laguz Alliance and Crimea.  Not literally everyone. Certainly not Begnion or Daein. 

From a gameplay perspective, Ashera is quite squishy, letting anyone kill her would make it "easier", but the "difficulty" removed is very questionably difficulty if that and not just a forced gimmick. 

Awakening had the right idea with letting anyone drop Grima's HP to 0, but then limiting the cinematic final blow to Robin Chrom's ending is just plain worse. Giving Ike the cinematic final blow but not forcing him to deal the gameplay one would be better.

Micaiah is able to deal upwards of 10 damage to Ashera. 40 Mag + 12 Mt Rexaura + 5 Mag White Pool + 3 Atk from an A Fire/Dark/Water Support vs. 50 Res. Micaiah might have a 80% Magic growth, but when its possible you don't bless Rexaura, don't recruit Nasir, and don't make a Support for Micaiah, it becomes very possible she'll never on a normal-ish playthrough be able to scratch Ashera. Not to mention her very late tier 3 promotion and limited time to gain EXP in the 2nd tier severely curtails her ability to get to 40 Mag.

Of course, this could be remedied by dropping Ashera's Res a bit, or giving Micaiah a personal legendary tome (a Dark or Light called Radiant Flame with Order Incarnate effectiveness sounds good). And if lords are going to be forced into late promotions or doing certain things in the gameplay in the future, I wouldn't mind giving them Gaiden styled-promotion gains, that way they can't be screwed 100% when doing what they absolutely must do.

Do note that in the Japanese at least, it is stated that Ashera and Yune cannot actually harm each other directly. Yune needed someone to channel her power into. And the approach taken for this of a combination of Ike and Micaiah sounds good and workable in principle- if they were portrayed as equals in the co-op attack- which they aren't as is. Micaiah is sadly shoved much aside in the Tower of Guidance after Lekain is offed.

Should be doable with any blessed weapon storywise, but limiting to Ike and Micaiah for gameplay reasons is fair. Ashnard's for three units only, seems fine.

Also should've had Yune in her own body but whatever.

21 hours ago, a bear said:

Should be doable with any blessed weapon storywise, but limiting to Ike and Micaiah for gameplay reasons is fair. Ashnard's for three units only, seems fine.

Also should've had Yune in her own body but whatever.

Yune would be totally broken and trivialize all of part 4, assuming she's on par with Ashera. 

Isn't she supposed to be physically weak at that point? Spent centuries sleeping in an itty bitty living space and all that. Having a body shouldn't change anything except letting Micaiah talk more.

I thought he was the one to do so because plot and main character bias, but your reason makes a lot of sense. However, it still annoys me when people say "ike defeated a goddess" as if he just solo'd.

Interesting discussion. Gameplay-wise it's clear that Micaiah gets the short end of the stick in more ways than just this, unfortunately.

However, I think it's fine that Ike needs to finish Ashera.

Otherwise, with Micaiah being the other main character, should really have some expected contribution here. One change I'm personally testing would be a personal tome for Micaiah that deals effective damage to the surrounding auras (with the auras themselves being harder to take down by your other units). I think that's a pretty elegant solution as it implies that Micaiah/Yune are best at neutralizing her defences, while Ike goes for the killing blow.  

Allowing the killing blow for anyone takes away the flair of it all. And from a gameplay standpoint really wouldn't affect much.