Pegasus Knight

what u DONT want to see in FE Switch

Recommended Posts

I definitely don't want to see reincarnated versions of old characters again, like Cordelia and Caeldori. It is lazy and doesn't add anything to gameplay or the lore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 4:19 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

And yet the timeskip didn't really help Genealogy's implementation of kids...

It didn't have any sort of negative effect on the story nor was it really out of place. Also it makes a LOT more sense than the multi-universal crap that Fates pulled and doesn't require IS having to work with the very difficult subject of time travel like in Awakening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

It didn't have any sort of negative effect on the story nor was it really out of place. Also it makes a LOT more sense than the multi-universal crap that Fates pulled and doesn't require IS having to work with the very difficult subject of time travel like in Awakening.

I don't give a fig that it wasn't bad from a story perspective - not when it made Genealogy's gameplay, which was already a train wreck, even more of one.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I miss in Fire Emblem since the GBA era is paired endings that do not involve love. I'd like to have S supports that link 2 units to a possible paired ending. (And so they don't need to limit amount of supports to 5.) Obviously that wouild also mean that no unit should be able to support every other unit, but I am okay with that because it means no pairings would need to feel forced. (Or perhaps limit who can S support with who.) And obviously some pairings will involve love/marriage, but that should not be the only type of paired ending.

And scrap kids entirely unless they already existed before the plot happened ffs.

Edited by Cammy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't give a fig that it wasn't bad from a story perspective - not when it made Genealogy's gameplay, which was already a train wreck, even more of one.

Are you implying that gen 2 is hard? Seriously? Gen 2 is easy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CatManThree said:

Are you implying that gen 2 is hard? Seriously? Gen 2 is easy...

Not at all. What I said was that implementing the second generation "right" doesn't make Genealogy's garbage gameplay tolerable or forgivable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I absolutely don't want in the next game:

  • Ditch the creepy incesty bandit twins. FE is attempting to do better by gay people, but that's hard to do when your reoccurring villains are... that. Literally no one would miss this archetype.
  • Stop making the villains look so obviously evil, especially by giving them darker skin.
  • Don't let characters that look twelve like Percy or Midori get married, and especially don't let them have kids.

What I'd rather not have:

  • Any reincarnations/world-hoppers like the Awakening trio or the kids. I don't want to meet old characters again and again, I want to meet new ones. Some references or shout-outs are fine, but I want new designs and character dynamics!
  • I'm not fond of status-dropping attacks, like with the shurikens. It makes things too complicated for my liking.
  • Long gimmick maps like with Revelations. Gimmicks should be fun, not a slog.
  • Please, no shoving kids into easy bake oven dimensions and having them pop out a week later ready to fight for you. If there are kids in the new game, have a better explanation for them that doesn't turn most of the cast into abusively neglectful parents. 
  • No female characters inexplicably obsessed with the lead character, please. I think we've seen quite enough of that.
  • I'd also like to see something be the final villain besides an evil dragon/person controlled by evil dragon.
Edited by Calico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A pure stat numbers game like the GBA games (and especially Binding Blade) is something that should be avoided. This is especially considering how Fates Conquest's gameplay relied on other variables besides stats for chapter difficulty or character viability. Really, I say Fates Conquest's gameplay should be the standard for all new games. Not to mention it really does not help integrating Roy's best Lord-based characteristics in-story when they can't exist in terms of gameplay.

On the other hand, Fates worldbuilding is something that should not be repeated again. This was one where Binding Blade did well, with some comparatively detailed explanation of the nations' backstories and troop movements not related to Roy's. (Tellius and Thracia I gather are better, but I can't give an official verdict as I haven't played either yet. )

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.1.2018 at 4:20 PM, CatManThree said:

It didn't have any sort of negative effect on the story nor was it really out of place. Also it makes a LOT more sense than the multi-universal crap that Fates pulled and doesn't require IS having to work with the very difficult subject of time travel like in Awakening.

tbh, FE4 Gen2 story is miles worse then the awesome Gen1 story.

 

''Oh hey look, another Dragon!'' Loptyr is basically Beta-Anankos.

8 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

A pure stat numbers game like the GBA games (and especially Binding Blade) is something that should be avoided. This is especially considering how Fates Conquest's gameplay relied on other variables besides stats for chapter difficulty or character viability. Really, I say Fates Conquest's gameplay should be the standard for all new games.

This. The Gba games are so plain and boring, and one of the main reasons is the lack of alot of things, especially skills. And so Far, CQ is really the peak of the series Gameplay-wise from those i played.

Edited by Shrimperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest one's kids.  Absolutely no friggin' 2nd Gen units, I don't care what the justification is for them suddenly being adults and joining your army.  Awakening was silly enough, and Fates was downright asinine about this.  Now, if there's a character with a kid whose existence isn't dependent on player input (like Garcia and Ross from FE8), that's fine; I mean this Support-based mid-war breeding program nonsense.

Petting Mode's fine; I won't use it and don't particularly like it myself, but it's not actively hurting the mechanics and main storyline the way kid units do.

Second, I disliked the removal of weapon durability and the prevalence of stat debuffs in Fates, so I'd like to see that part reverted to Fire Emblem 'standard'.  I do like having certain legendary S-Rank weapons that don't worry about durability, but the basic ones should be needing regular replacements and/or repairs, and the incessant stat penalization from Fates gets old, fast.

Third, IMO remove any sort of plot relevance for the Avatar character.  I love having a customizable MyUnit from a mechanical standpoint, but I don't want that unit affecting the story in any way other than being 'main character's silent executioner'.  Not even support conversations, the game would just treat them as having A-levels with everyone other than the main character (including using Seals or whatever to get class access if that system's in again), and treat them as having a free S-level mechanically with the main character, all without taking up any actual conversation slots; essentially the bonuses would be 'hidden'.  'Speaks softly and carries a big stick' <- that kind of Avatar.  Not Kris (who undermined Marth at every turn to the point that FE12 really isn't canon), not Robin (lol, who's Chrom, again?) and most certainly not Corrin (all pretense thrown out the window by this point, damn they even make you a dragon), but at the same time actually deployable and with a class (unlike Mark).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 6:31 PM, Calico said:

What I absolutely don't want in the next game:

 

  • Stop making the villains look so obviously evil, especially by giving them darker skin.

Specially if they are so one note and evil because for the lulz. Really, Surtr is just a pitiful latest example of crappy villain that he's better off in a cartoon :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Midnox said:

Specially if they are so one note and evil because for the lulz. Really, Surtr is just a pitiful latest example of crappy villain that he's better off in a cartoon :lol: 

In Surtur's defense, he's by far the most brutal so far. He's actually going by how cruel he is, by showing how he derives pleasure in actually slowly burning his victims alive, like Fjorm's mother, and then how he intends to do that with Veronica. And how he was about to do that with the villagers. 

Not sure we've actually had a villain that was every that graphic in the explanations and imagination...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 6:31 PM, Calico said:

What I absolutely don't want in the next game:

  • Ditch the creepy incesty bandit twins. FE is attempting to do better by gay people, but that's hard to do when your reoccurring villains are... that. Literally no one would miss this archetype.
  • Stop making the villains look so obviously evil, especially by giving them darker skin.

Yes yes yes! FE has done better giving us a same-gender S-support in Fates for the avatar of either gender and an openly gay character in SoV; however there is so much more progress that could be made about that. ALSO, do not make the bad characters gay or dark-skinned. Give us dark-skinned playable characters (Basilio and Flavio are a good example) because if the only dark-skinned characters are evil, we have a problem. Additionally, we need more LGTBQ characters portrayed in a positive light. Leon was nice, but some people had a problem because he was clearly in love with a straight guy, which is problematic in its own way.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:31 PM, Calico said:

What I absolutely don't want in the next game:

  • Don't let characters that look twelve like Percy or Midori get married, and especially don't let them have kids.

What I'd rather not have:

  • Any reincarnations/world-hoppers like the Awakening trio or the kids. I don't want to meet old characters again and again, I want to meet new ones. Some references or shout-outs are fine, but I want new designs and character dynamics!
  • Please, no shoving kids into easy bake oven dimensions and having them pop out a week later ready to fight for you. If there are kids in the new game, have a better explanation for them that doesn't turn most of the cast into abusively neglectful parents. 
On 1/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, EdeaCreamer said:

The biggest one's kids.  Absolutely no friggin' 2nd Gen units, I don't care what the justification is for them suddenly being adults and joining your army.  Awakening was silly enough, and Fates was downright asinine about this.  Now, if there's a character with a kid whose existence isn't dependent on player input (like Garcia and Ross from FE8), that's fine; I mean this Support-based mid-war breeding program nonsense.

I don't like the children for a lot of reasons (playing match-maker is fun though) but if they're implemented they should be more of the Garcia/Ross situation. We don't need the same characters to make cameos because they're popular. It's a waste of a character slot where we could have a new and interesting character instead of a repeat. I didn't care for Laslow/Odin/Selena, but I could deal with them. However, after getting an S-support and then recruiting repeat CHILDREN like Asugi, Caeldori, and Rhajat felt like a straight-up insult.

In Awakening it made some amount of sense to have the children come back from the future with Lucina (although the time-shenanigans is a bit messy), but in Fates it was poorly explained and implemented. If it returns I would prefer something that is closer to Awakening or Genealogy of the Holy War, or maybe a happy middle between the two. I just don't feel that IntSys should take any inspiration from Fates in how they do things.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

In Surtur's defense, he's by far the most brutal so far. He's actually going by how cruel he is, by showing how he derives pleasure in actually slowly burning his victims alive, like Fjorm's mother, and then how he intends to do that with Veronica. And how he was about to do that with the villagers. 

Not sure we've actually had a villain that was every that graphic in the explanations and imagination...

well it seems that in Fates that was the forte of the good guys... Camilla, Peri, Raina...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Logjam said:

Yes yes yes! FE has done better giving us a same-gender S-support in Fates for the avatar of either gender and an openly gay character in SoV; however there is so much more progress that could be made about that. ALSO, do not make the bad characters gay or dark-skinned. Give us dark-skinned playable characters (Basilio and Flavio are a good example) because if the only dark-skinned characters are evil, we have a problem. Additionally, we need more LGTBQ characters portrayed in a positive light. Leon was nice, but some people had a problem because he was clearly in love with a straight guy, which is problematic in its own way.

I don't like the children for a lot of reasons (playing match-maker is fun though) but if they're implemented they should be more of the Garcia/Ross situation. We don't need the same characters to make cameos because they're popular. It's a waste of a character slot where we could have a new and interesting character instead of a repeat. I didn't care for Laslow/Odin/Selena, but I could deal with them. However, after getting an S-support and then recruiting repeat CHILDREN like Asugi, Caeldori, and Rhajat felt like a straight-up insult.

In Awakening it made some amount of sense to have the children come back from the future with Lucina (although the time-shenanigans is a bit messy), but in Fates it was poorly explained and implemented. If it returns I would prefer something that is closer to Awakening or Genealogy of the Holy War, or maybe a happy middle between the two. I just don't feel that IntSys should take any inspiration from Fates in how they do things.

 

 

The funny thing is that Anime/Games/movies etc  Are doing so much good job making gay couples/characters when they dont try it (i mean all the same sex friendly relationships "Bromances") but they screw it when they actually say that this character is gay..... i mean look at captain america and bucky... they scream gay...or Elsa from Frozen that many people see her as Lesbian

Edited by Pegasus Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

well it seems that in Fates that was the forte of the good guys... Camilla, Peri, Raina...

Eh, they were one thing, but Surtur really sells the intimidation more than those three did when you take into context of what he does. He doesn't just kill his foes. He burns them alive. Poor Fjorm and Gunnthra's mother...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

The funny thing is that Anime/Games/movies etc  Are doing so much good job making gay couples/characters when they dont try it (i mean all the same sex friendly relationships "Bromances") but they screw it when they actually say that this character is gay..... i mean look at captain america and bucky... they scream gay...or Elsa from Frozen that many people see her as Lesbian

I agree in part with this, but a lot of the time in JRPGs/anime you end up getting situations like "eww, guys aren't supposed to act like this with each other" which makes it all the more frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Logjam said:

I agree in part with this, but a lot of the time in JRPGs/anime you end up getting situations like "eww, guys aren't supposed to act like this with each other" which makes it all the more frustrating.

u mean so friendly that it gets gay?  yeah i agree although asia has a different culture.... guys are more friendly with each other there... even holding hands with each other is not weird.... i mean if u are into kpop u will know what i mean.... BUT obviosuly anime turn into a whole otehr level and make them str8 gay....

Edited by Pegasus Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 12:17 PM, Shrimperor said:

This. The Gba games are so plain and boring, and one of the main reasons is the lack of a lot of things, especially skills. And so Far, CQ is really the peak of the series Gameplay-wise from those i played.

Do you think Leadership stars should come back too? Whether it's based on Tracia or Tellius, or a modified version of either?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot about this:

No more locking the difficulty level at the start of the game. Let players freely choose the difficulty at any point in the game. Fates at least let you drop down your difficulty if you thought it was too hard, but what if a player starts off on easy but doesn't feel challenged enough? I don't know why the option wasn't implemented before, but it's definitely something that should be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Do you think Leadership stars should come back too? Whether it's based on Tracia or Tellius, or a modified version of either?

I liked them in Tellius, no reason why they shouldn't come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ToxicDuck said:

I don't want to see Treehouse touching this game in the same way they touched Xenoblade 2 or how TPCi touched newer Pokemon games. 

Why, what's wrong with Xenoblade 2 and newer Pokemon games?

EDIT: Oh, you're the person who made that thread on X2 before... a lot of those points were, well, not good. But why the dislike for TPCi?

Edited by SuperIb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Why, what's wrong with Xenoblade 2 and newer Pokemon games?

They changed some names (which practically every localization company does), and changed some of the more innuendo-y stuff with Tora. Even then most of it was left pretty much intact and people are over reacting as per usual. I think it is only two heart to hearts regarding Tora and his grandpa's programming of Poppi, and some small dialogue for one of the blades. Pokemon I don't know, but the Xenoblade stuff is just overreacting over small stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.