Should Micaiah have done anti Ike and anti Laguz Propaganda?

Icelerate

Basically in a war, you have to use propaganda to motivate your soldiers to fight so it'd be logical to stoke anti Ike/laguz sentiment and very easy to do as well. Though the only problem with that is it could potentially kill her likability among the players as reading those lies would be painful. 

Edited by Icelerate

No- it wasn't necessary. Daein had a history of being racist and still were. PLUS, Micaiah was well liked by her soldiers. They chanted "Maiden of Dawn" a thousand times are so in the game. They were already motivated to fight because SHE was leading them. 

Micky didn't need propaganda- she was a motivator by herself without even trying.

Nope. Daein was - and still is - already racist against laguz (Tormod mentions this at the end of part 1), so it wouldn't have made a difference. And Micaiah herself was what motivated her soldiers.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

About the only propaganda that happened was Izuka hyping up Micaiah... and we know how that ended up.

But yeah, there was no need. Although you could kinda say there was still some kind of propaganda. The 3-11 boss makes it quite clear they also bought the whole False Apostle thing, so the Begnion Senate did also spread that to Daein.

If anything, I imagine that Soren is more likely to take propaganda into consideration since Daein would flip its shit once they knew Micaiah was branded. However that would mean exposing himself as well.

Considering he divulged Micaiah's heritage to Ike, I wouldn't be surprised if Soren was informing Ike of this trump card in case they ever found themselves in a corner. 

On 12/29/2017 at 5:33 PM, BrandedCharmer93 said:

If anything, I imagine that Soren is more likely to take propaganda into consideration since Daein would flip its shit once they knew Micaiah was branded. However that would mean exposing himself as well.

Considering he divulged Micaiah's heritage to Ike, I wouldn't be surprised if Soren was informing Ike of this trump card in case they ever found themselves in a corner. 

Now that would be an interesting trump card. Though I suppose Micaiah could say that they are lying and Daein would believe her. 

8 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Now that would be an interesting trump card. Though I suppose Micaiah could say that they are lying and Daein would believe her. 

Absolutely, though I imagine not every single citizen of Daein would be swayed. Riots could break out, perhaps a civil war...

I imagine Ike being venomously against the plan since he is fighting for equality among the races, not to mention risking the safety of his best friend (somehow I doubt that every single laguz in the alliance would be okay with a parentless being in such a high position of their army). This sort of plan would be in violation of everything they are fighting for, but I can see Soren suggesting it as a last measure in case the alliance was put in a situation where he had to gamble his own life for Ike's.

Proving someone is Branded is pretty difficult, since the brands can be other things (see the convo with Pelleas). If Daein's enemy said "hey your leader is Branded", it probably just wouldn't be believed, at least in the short term. I'm also not sure how many of the beorc are even aware the Branded exist.

For the original question, to echo others: I feel like Micaiah had little to gain by stoking further anti-laguz propaganda. Folks motivated by that... are already motivated by that, to her discomfort. Stoking it further feels like it would yield few rewards, and meanwhile she would lose some of her own allies, possibly even including her boyfriend.

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Proving someone is Branded is pretty difficult, since the brands can be other things (see the convo with Pelleas). If Daein's enemy said "hey your leader is Branded", it probably just wouldn't be believed, at least in the short term. I'm also not sure how many of the beorc are even aware the Branded exist.

For the original question, to echo others: I feel like Micaiah had little to gain by stoking further anti-laguz propaganda. Folks motivated by that... are already motivated by that, to her discomfort. Stoking it further feels like it would yield few rewards, and meanwhile she would lose some of her own allies, possibly even including her boyfriend.

You forget Serenes was massacred in a single night over planted rumors... This is easily replicated among masses.

There's a colossal difference there.

The Serenes Massacre was a case of blaming an already disliked group for something. This is relatively easy to do. Painting Micaiah as Branded would be trying to bring down a currently liked figure, which is much harder.

In general, people believe what they want to believe. Just watch the reactions to the supporters and opponents of political leaders (US presidents etc.) when news comes out about them.

She didn't really need it at the point they were at. The soldiers were already motivated to the point that it was commented on by the opponents quite often. Also she wasn't intending for this to be a long campaign, she was attempting to find a way to break the pact and end it as quickly as possible. If this was going to be a long affair or it started dragging on when she didn't expect it to then definitely. The soldiers would get tired and then it would be needed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 4:51 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Nope. Daein was - and still is - already racist against laguz (Tormod mentions this at the end of part 1), so it wouldn't have made a difference. And Micaiah herself was what motivated her soldiers.

And as for Ike, he had already invaded Daein during the events of Path of Radiance, so no propaganda was necessary to inspire the people of Daein to fight him either.

Micaiah had no issues motivating Daein to fight for her. Daein was not short on morale in the slightest after the liberation, what they were short on was experience, manpower and probably all the other forms of logistics vis a vis the massive foe they were facing.

For some reason SF lacks the narrations to all of RD's chapters. But looking it up in an LP the narration of 3-13 says: "Micaiah, unable to explain her mission to her soldiers, keeps Daein's army together through sheer force of will."

That does not sound good at all! Micaiah rose up a charismatic prophet leader, and she isn't at all a selfish cultist monster like some of them were. Yet not exactly winning battles and being forced to expend her recovering country's limited resources and lives, seems to have dealt a blow, not a fatal one, but one still, to her charismatic leadership. The "Cult of the Priestess of Dawn" isn't dead yet, but Micaiah, stripped of her powers and good successes, has to rely on her remaining very human skills, her present reputation accrued in the past, the dire situation Daein faces, and Pelleas's backing to keep things afloat. 

This is not to say Micaiah could use more propaganda after 3-12, I'm not sure if that would be able to rebuild morale, has that ever in reality? It certainly wouldn't after 3-13 which is just another disaster for her (and if Pelleas is dead- well Daein having no more king ought to be a serious morale issue). Victories alone would likely be able to salvage the fighting spirit of Daein. And from all 3-F can suggest, that fight had it not been for the sweet mercy of judgment, would have ended in catastrophic defeat with Micaiah's forces possibly completely eradicated and her unable to wage war any longer at all.