Does Your Family Celebrate Christmas On The 24th or 25th.

Captain Karnage

Just curious as my family has always celebrated on the 24th rather than the 25th as we've always had our Christmas dinner together on the 24th and opened our non-Santa presents on the evening. As my friend circle has grown over the past few years I'm seeing that most of the people I know do all of their traditional stuff on the 25th.

Mostly on the 25th. On the 24th it's usually a regular day of sorts until night, when we go to church and then our neighbors, before going home and opening about one present each. The 25th is when we open everything else and celebrate with my dad's side of the family coming over. The day when we celebrate with my mother's side varies on the year.

Both. We exchange gifts between one another and we go out to the pub on the 24th and on the 25th my sister and I get our 'Santa' presents as you would call them, eat Christmas Dinner and then we'd go visit relatives and stuff.

Both, with the 28th as a third celebration and in changing constellations, because I have a number of nieces and nephews who tend to make family meeting a bit too lively in combination, especially if the weather is too bad to kick them outside for a while when they overwind. ;)

We have a "Christmas Dinner" (In reality it's just a somewhat larger meal than normal, not even anything special. Like this year we're having Ham and homemade Mac and Cheese) on the 24th, and then we have actual Christmas-y things happening on the 25th. Although, my family and I have now made a tradition out of seeing the new Star Wars each year on either Christmas Eve or right before it, so I guess that's a thing now.

On a different note, when I was a lot younger, I would often make a fuss out of presents, which would cause my parents to allow me to open one of them on the 24th to get me to stop. I remember one year we did them all on the 24th, although I think that was for different reasons.

Edited by Emerson

Technically both? My family celebrates on the 24th. We have a big dinner, all the adults get together talk while all the kids usually run around and complain about not being able to open the presents till midnight. We usually watch movie, do some party games, light fireworks, etc. and once midnight hits we start unwrapping the presents.

We celebrate it both the 24th and 25th.

We have everyone gathered on the 24th at night, throw out a big party, gain at least 3 kg, make a lot of fireworks and it all happend again the day after!

We celebrate with just my parents and siblings (sometimes grandparents too) on the 25th, then on the 26th either my grandparents and my uncle with his family come here to celebrate or we go with my grandparents to my uncle's family to celebrate.

On the 24th it's tradition for families to get all together (although that doens't happen often with me) and eat cod, potatoes, cabbage, eggs etc., we open the presents at midnight, on the 25th, at a different house of the 24th, we get together again and eat turkey.